Reversed dictionary?

Словарный состав языка, выбор лексических единиц, как учить и запоминать новые слова, тесты и задания на знание лексики, специальная лексика, словари и другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

Zlatko_Berrin
Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

Hello!

I'm wondering if there is an online dictionary or some website where you can type your definition or description of a word, and the dictionary or website gives you name of the word whose definition/description you've typed.

It would be very useful for those people who don't use translation in learning English as they don't need to translate from their language to English.
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

I doubt anything like that exists, and I also doubt that many of us would prefer to figure out how to correctly define молоток in English instead of simply translating the word. Making up a good definition is a challenge in itself. I guess you would be able to write rather less than more with this additional difficulty, and it would be less fun too.
Dragon27
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Dragon27 »

You can just enter the descripton into google (something like "a tool used for driving in nails" - but you have to know this "drive in" phrasal verb already) and choose among the possible alternatives.
It's a good practice at forming definitions/descriptions, but there are much easier ways to hunt down words you're looking for.
Xander
Благодарил (а): 47 раз

Сообщение Xander »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 18 май 2019, 10:00 I'm wondering if there is an online dictionary or some website where you can type your definition or description of a word, and the dictionary or website gives you name of the word whose definition/description you've typed.
Not online,
but still

The Oxford Reverse Dictionary
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/470 ... dictionary
За это сообщение автора Xander поблагодарил:
Zlatko_Berrin
Zlatko_Berrin

acapnotic пишет: 18 май 2019, 11:33 define молоток in English instead of simply translating the word
It may be found if you search for something like 'carpenter tools'))
Последний раз редактировалось Zlatko_Berrin 18 май 2019, 13:17, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 18 май 2019, 12:35 It may be founded if to search something like 'carpenter tools'))
If you already know the word 'carpenter'. :) See? To define one word you need to know several others. While to translate it you only need to know how to use Google Translate. :)
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

hammer
For words like this it could be better to use Picture/Visual/Illustrated dictionaries or special pages with visuals you can find at the back of many good general dictionaries.
За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарил:
Zlatko_Berrin
Zlatko_Berrin

acapnotic пишет: 18 май 2019, 13:01 If you already know the word 'carpenter'.
Well, when watching a TV series and hearing the last name Carpenter several times, it's interesting to get to know what it means)
acapnotic пишет: 18 май 2019, 13:01 See? To define one word you need to know several others. While to translate it you only need to know how to use Google Translate. :)
It's easier but it involves your mother tongue. I have nothing against translation but I'm trying to avoid it when and where possible.)
And yes, I know how to use Google Translate. =))
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 18 май 2019, 13:16 Well, when watching a TV series and hearing the last name Carpenter several times, it's interesting to get to know what it means)
Not to me. I am used to seeing names like Смит in books translated into Russian, where they didn't mean anything to me, being just a combination of letters. So now, when I see Smith in English text, I don't realize its meaning either. It's just a name, a label for a human being, meaning no more than a number would mean.
Zlatko_Berrin

acapnotic пишет: 18 май 2019, 14:01 when I see Smith in English text
Well, the same to me when I see 'Smith'. But Carpenter was something like Potter. Has it never been interesting to you to know what Harry's last name means?)
JamesTheBond
Благодарил (а): 600 раз

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 18 май 2019, 10:00 I'm wondering if there is an online dictionary or some website where you can type your definition or description of a word, and the dictionary or website gives you name of the word whose definition/description you've typed.
Пара примеров?
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 18 май 2019, 14:06 But Carpenter was something like Potter. Has it never been interesting to you to know what Harry's last name means?)
Well, I knew what it meant and I remember thinking about that. But what if I hadn't known? I am not sure I would have been interested. And even though I know its meaning, it's somehow not as evident as Горшков would be. :) It's still perceived as a tag.
Zlatko_Berrin

JamesTheBond пишет: 18 май 2019, 14:28 Пара примеров?
Сразу так и не придумаю. Обычно такое во время письма происходит или говорения.
Как возникнет, думаю, напишу.)
acapnotic пишет: 18 май 2019, 14:45 Well, I knew what it meant and I remember thinking about that. But what if I hadn't known? I am not sure I would have been interested. And even though I know its meaning, it's somehow not as evident as Горшков would be. :) It's still perceived as a tag.
Well, quot homines, tot sententiae.) I don't say that if I'm interested in someone's last name meaning, you should be interested in it too) It was purely out of interest to get to know what 'carpenter' means. As you can see, it turned out to be pretty helpful if one wants to find 'молоток' in English without resorting to translation.
Zlatko_Berrin

JamesTheBond пишет: 18 май 2019, 14:28 Пара примеров?
Вот только что появился)
Не знал, как будет штука, куда чайные листя кладутся, чтобы чай потом без листочков пить. В Гугле и ввёл:"the thing for making tea which you put tea leaves in"

Tea infuser - ответ, который нужен был) Как по-русски эта штука будет, до сих пор не знаю)
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 24 май 2019, 23:47 Не знал, как будет штука, куда чайные листя кладутся, чтобы чай потом без листочков пить. В Гугле и ввёл:"the thing for making tea which you put tea leaves in"
Tea infuser - ответ, который нужен был) Как по-русски эта штука будет, до сих пор не знаю)
Ааа, прикольно...
Ну, по описанию бы сказал, что это чайник для заварки :)
Zlatko_Berrin

JamesTheBond пишет: 24 май 2019, 23:58 Ну, по описанию бы сказал, что это чайник для заварки :)
Вполне возможно) Но хорошо, что мне попалась ссылка в Гугле (третья), похожая на мой поисковой запрос. https://www.theteatable.com/blog/whats- ... -leaves-in .
Я перешел, нашел название, проверил по гугл-картинкам и вуаля)

Teapot грех не знать, наверное)
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 24 май 2019, 23:47 Tea infuser - ответ, который нужен был) Как по-русски эта штука будет, до сих пор не знаю)
У нас его, каж, ситечком называют...)
it is often called a teaball, and sometimes a tea egg. Или более общо - a tea-strainer.
Dragon27
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Dragon27 »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 25 май 2019, 00:08 Teapot грех не знать, наверное)
Если бы сейчас не обратил внимание на это, наверное бы даже не задумался, в чём разница между teapot и kettle.
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 25 май 2019, 00:08 Teapot грех не знать, наверное)
Ну, пассивно его не знать сложно, так как это tea + pot, разумеется, а активно - зависит от тех тем, на которые общается данный изучающий :)
Zlatko_Berrin

Yety пишет: 25 май 2019, 09:28 У нас его, каж, ситечком называют...)
Yety пишет: 25 май 2019, 09:28 it is often called a teaball, and sometimes a tea egg. Или более общо - a tea-strainer.
Интересно) Спасибо)
Dragon27 пишет: 25 май 2019, 09:55 Если бы сейчас не обратил внимание на это, наверное бы даже не задумался, в чём разница между teapot и kettle.
Это еще одна причина, по которой форум нравится, - иногда обращаешь внимание на то, на что сам бы просто так внимание не обратил)
JamesTheBond пишет: 25 май 2019, 12:09 Ну, пассивно его не знать сложно, так как это tea + pot, разумеется
Ну я не подглядывал, значит, знаю активно) Наверное, его и активно сложно не знать)
JamesTheBond

Сообщение JamesTheBond »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 25 май 2019, 12:16 Наверное, его и активно сложно не знать)
Не уверен, что когда-либо в жизни это слово употреблял :).
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Dragon27 пишет: 25 май 2019, 09:55 разница между teapot и kettle
Всегда считал, что kettle и котёл(ок) - этимологические родственники (отсюда его функция, отличная от teapot). Жаль, об этой связи не упомянуто прямо на etymonline, где нередко проводят параллели со славянским. Но - родственность подтверждается сравнением словарных статей:
kettle:
"metal vessel used for boiling or heating liquids over a flame," Old English cetil, citel (Mercian), from Proto-Germanic *katilaz ... which usually is said to be derived from Latin catillus "deep pan or dish for cooking," diminutive of catinus "deep vessel, bowl, dish, pot," ...
котёл, Этимология пишет:Происходит от праслав. , ... Заимств. в праслав. эпоху из готск. *katils или *katilus (засвидетельствована форма род. мн. katilē), которое происходит из лат. catīnus или catīllus "блюдо, миска". Едва ли непосредственно из лат. ... Использованы данные словаря М. Фасмера.
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 18 май 2019, 10:00 there is an online dictionary or some website where you can type your definition or description of a word, and the dictionary or website gives you name of the word whose definition/description you've typed!
Таки да.
https://reversedictionary.org
This reverse dictionary allows you to search for words by their definition.
Check out RelatedWords.org to get words related to a single word.
СпойлерПоказать
About Reverse Dictionary
The way Reverse Dictionary works is pretty simple. It simply looks through tonnes of dictionary definitions and grabs the ones that most closely match your search query. For example, if you type something like "longing for a time in the past", then the engine will return "nostalgia". The engine has indexed several million definitions so far, and at this stage it's starting to give consistently good results (though it may return weird results sometimes). It acts a lot like a thesaurus except that it allows you to search with a definition, rather than a single word. So in a sense, this tool is a "search engine for words", or a sentence to word converter.

I made this tool after working on Related Words which is a very similar tool, except it uses a bunch of algorithms and multiple databases to find similar words to a search query. That project is closer to a thesaurus in the sense that it returns synonyms for a word (or short phrase) query, but it also returns many broadly related words that aren't included in thesauri. So this project, Reverse Dictionary, is meant to go hand-in-hand with Related Words to act as a word-finding and brainstorming toolset. For those interested, I also developed Describing Words which helps you find adjectives and interesting descriptors for things (e.g. waves, sunsets, trees, etc.).

In case you didn't notice, you can click on words in the search results and you'll be presented with the definition of that word (if available). The definitions are sourced from the famous and open-source WordNet database, so a huge thanks to the many contributors for creating such an awesome free resource.
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарили (всего 3):
Zlatko_Berrin, Mary May, sava2019
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Есть и в бумажном варианте нечто подобное. The Oxford reverse dictionary by Edmonds, David
https://archive.org/details/oxfordrever ... /page/n417
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Совсем другого типа и предназначения словарь, но тоже - Обратный:
Reverse English Dictionary: Based on Phonological and Morphological Principles, Gustav Muthmann
Rather than presenting a reverse list of words in endless sequence and strictly alphabetical order, this Reverse English Dictionary considers the structure and formation of words, grouping them together in sections and subdivisions.
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
Alex2018
Ответить