Zlatko's Practice

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Zlatko_Berrin
Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

Hello and welcome to my writing thread!

I've known this section(?) of the forum since I signed up, but I've hardly ever written here. Now I understand I need to practice English so I'm thankful for this given chance.

Here, I'd like to write about what I'm learning and use that acquired knowledge. Now I'm aiming at phrasal verbs so I'll start with making up stories with them.
Because of my lack of vocabulary, I want to learn as many words as possible in order to make a significant breakthrough in my English language proficiency.

Any help and advice would be appreciated!
За это сообщение автора Zlatko_Berrin поблагодарил:
IrinaS
Zlatko_Berrin

Here we go!

These are some of phrasal verbs from Destination C1-C2.
brush up (on)
come (a)round (to)
come up with
face up to
figure out
hit upon
make out

I hope that using wordlists from textbooks is not a serious violation of the copyright law)
(By the way, I found a way how to use the book with no need to download it https://ru.scribd. com/doc/121632941/Destination-C1-C2-Grammar-and-Vocabulary )

It's quite obvious that I'm trying to brush up on English. I like the language, but sometimes, I get struggling and often change my 'methods' of learning it. Once, I came up with the idea that learning vocabulary without context may be more effective, but some forum's members persuaded me that context is very important. Eventually, I came around to their side.
So this situation shows I should face up to the bitter truth that English learners will always face problems of learning the language on their own.
But we should also always figure out ways of dealing with them.
What else I like about learning English is when you think very hard about some question and then you hit upon the answer in a flash.
Sometimes, it gets harder when you, for example, can hardly make out what the speaker you are listening to is saying. Especially, when his/her speech is so fast for you.

I didn't think that it would be quite difficult to make up a story with a particular group of words given. Maybe, I should try making sentences because it's, you know, effortful to join those words in one context.
За это сообщение автора Zlatko_Berrin поблагодарили (всего 2):
Белая Мишка, QwestDay
Chaika
Благодарил (а): 6 раз

Сообщение Chaika »

>Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Do you mean that you want corrections to your use of English or advice about how to learn phrasal verbs etc.?
Zlatko_Berrin

Chaika пишет: 01 май 2019, 01:45Do you mean that you want corrections to your use of English
Yes, if there is time for it)

As to learning phrasal verbs, I don't have any questions. At least now)
Chaika
Благодарил (а): 6 раз

Сообщение Chaika »

brush up does not sound right. You brush up on smth if you once knew it but have forgotten parts/some of it and you need to refresh your memory about it.

>some forum's members
members of a forum (another forum) OR
some members of the/this form (this form)

>came around to their side.
sounds odd.

didn't think that it would be quite very difficult

>Maybe I should (no comma here)

you know, it takes some effort to join
(I think you made up your word)
За это сообщение автора Chaika поблагодарил:
Zlatko_Berrin
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 30 апр 2019, 22:20 Now I understand I need to practice English so I'm thankful for this given chance.
Good idea, but why confine yourself to just one subforum? You can write in English wherever and whenever you feel like it. Even one English sentence in a post will give you a little practice. Put into English what you can and leave the rest in Russian if it's still too difficult for you.

Take for example your posts in Zlatko_Berrin (in future OR in the future). Could you have written them in English? Sure. They are simple enough. Perhaps you could even have used some phrasal verbs there. :)
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
Zlatko_Berrin
Zlatko_Berrin

Chaika, thank you!

It seems weird but I thought of 'brush up on' the same way but then I looked it up and the dictionary (http://learnersdictionary.com/definition/brush) says that this phrasal verb means
to improve your skill at (something) or increase your knowledge of (something)
I admit I should have looked it up in another dictionary to get to know more about the verb.

As for 'come around'. According to the dictionary =) , this verb means (of course, you know it))
to start to accept and support something (such as an idea) after opposing it : to stop opposing or disagreeing with something or someone
So I had no idea that I could use it in the wrong way.
How would you change that sentence?
Chaika пишет: 01 май 2019, 02:28 I think you made up your word
I found it here https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/effortful
Maybe this is a new one?
Последний раз редактировалось Zlatko_Berrin 01 май 2019, 11:26, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Zlatko_Berrin

acapnotic пишет: 01 май 2019, 07:29 Perhaps you could even have used some phrasal verbs there. :)
I even know which ones =)
Eager Beaver
Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Zlatko_Berrin,
We should be extremely careful when choosing what phrasal verbs to learn. Not only might they have multiple meanings, but they can be used differently in British and American English. Destination C1-C2 is good for learning vocabulary that you want to understand when reading and listening. For speaking and writing, I would opt for more useful sources of language, such as articles and books written by native speakers of American English for native speakers of American English. Besides, one article in The New Yorker, for instance, will provide you with more natural and real-life examples of language usage than any textbook for English learners. I believe you've gone far beyond the stage where you have to rely on vocabulary books as a source of authentic language.
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарил:
Zlatko_Berrin
Zlatko_Berrin

Eager Beaver пишет: 01 май 2019, 14:17 you've gone far beyond the stage where you have to rely on vocabulary books as a source of authentic language
I hope I have, but such books simply seem to have appropriate for a particular level vocabulary, which is very convenient for me, so there is at least a little reliability of coming across these words again (in topics the books point out).
Eager Beaver пишет: 01 май 2019, 14:17 they can be used differently in British and American English. Destination C1-C2
Well, I check every single word of this book (which I don't know, of course, I mean words)))
Eager Beaver пишет: 01 май 2019, 14:17 The New Yorker
Thank you, I'll look at it. I've never used this source before.
Zlatko_Berrin

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 01 май 2019, 16:12 have appropriate for a particular level vocabulary
To be more clear, I should have written ''have vocabulary appropriate for a particular level''.

I'm wondering if there is the construction 'had better have done' or sth because I've got tired of just 'should have done'))
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

There is 'ought to have done'. 'Had better' doesn't work for past actions, as far as I know. It's used to give advice.
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
Zlatko_Berrin
Eager Beaver
Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 01 май 2019, 18:16 I've got tired of just 'should have done'

Spend less time reflecting on the past and embrace forward thinking. :)
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарил:
Zlatko_Berrin
Zlatko_Berrin

Eager Beaver пишет: 01 май 2019, 19:19 Spend less time reflecting on the past and embrace forward thinking. :)
Sounds motivating)
IrinaS
Благодарил (а): 152 раза

Сообщение IrinaS »

Zlatko_Berrin, Are you going to write stories only in order to learn phrasal verbs? Or is it just the first step to practice in other different things?
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3371 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 01 май 2019, 18:16 I'm wondering if there is the construction 'had better have done' or sth because I've got tired of just 'should have done'))
There's needn't have done (зря сделал) - in the negative, somewhat similar to shouldn't have done.

should(n't) have done V. had better (not) have done
acapnotic пишет: 01 май 2019, 18:51 It's used to give advice.
Or a threat, even about the indefinite past.
You'd better (not) have done it - I don't know, but if you did (not do) it, you're in for trouble.

There's also I'd rather (not) have done it - similar to I wish/If only I had(n't) done it.

There's even an option to use I'd like/love/prefer to with a perfect infinitive:
Raymond Murphy: "I would like to have done something = I regret now that I didn't or couldn't do it".
"You can use the same structure after would love, would hate, would prefer.
I'd love to have gone to the party, but it was impossible."
You might as well consider using a perfect form initially:
I would've liked/loved/preferred to go to the party - with a little shift of focus.
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарили (всего 3):
acapnotic, QwestDay, Zlatko_Berrin
Zlatko_Berrin

IrinaS пишет: 02 май 2019, 22:25 Are you going to write stories only in order to learn phrasal verbs? Or is it just the first step to practice in other different things?
Well, it is both learning phrasal verbs and writing practice (if, by your second question, you mean writing practice). I think I'll use not only phrasal verbs in my writing but also other words I want to learn.
What I'd also like to add is that I'm now trying out different methods of vocabulary memorization, so writing with using my target words may be a good one.
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

The captain and his first officer were making out so hard that they lost control of the ship. It came around, brushed up against a fishing boat and finally hit upon a shoal. Now both men are facing up to five years in jail. :-)
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 04 май 2019, 23:56 The captain and his first officer were making out so hard that they lost control of the ship. It came around, brushed up against a fishing boat and finally hit upon a shoal. Now both men are facing up to five years in jail. :-)
five years in jail is nothing to sneeze at, but there's always a silver lining ..
they would have a lot of cellmates to make out there. )
Zlatko_Berrin

tourist пишет: 05 май 2019, 02:01cellmates to make out there
LOL

I like jokes based on words' polysemy)
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3371 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 06 май 2019, 08:40 I like jokes based on words' polysemy)
Yeah, have always wondered why they used to always excuse themselves whenever a pun panned out (excuse the pun), as if the pun were the bastard child in the world of humour and wit. The Ugly Duckling of the jenre.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Pun
https://punpedia.org
Just don't get lost in paronomasia - it does sound a little hazardous.=)
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарили (всего 2):
Zlatko_Berrin, QwestDay
Zlatko_Berrin

Yety пишет: 06 май 2019, 11:01 https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Pun
I've just read the examples here - they're hilarious.

It was one of my hardest laughter ever. =D
Ответить