paveltashkinov's thread

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

paveltashkinov пишет: 12 окт 2019, 12:27 They're at best a garnish to my life.
Ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is brilliant.)))))))))))))
And then you ask about the features, seriously? ))))))))))))
paveltashkinov
Благодарил (а): 318 раз

Сообщение paveltashkinov »

Easy-Breezy English,
Well, I'm just well-read, that's it.
Easy-Breezy English

paveltashkinov, you are fine. )) Keep democratizing.
It'll all work out in the end, you'll see. )
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
paveltashkinov
paveltashkinov

A pillow talk

“Where do you draw your inspiration from?”, asked Alice, in a somewhat zany voice.
Heinrich drew on a cigarette and watched its tip glowing in the darkness of the room. The night was getting chillier, and he shuddered at a tiny gust of wind wafting into the room. He sat astride the chair by the window, bare-chested, leaning his elbows on the windowsill, deeply submerged in a myriad of thoughts rushing through his head, immaculately empty just five minutes ago.
“Inspiration?”, he repeated, somewhat absent-mindedly. “That’s a tricky one.”, said he and drew on the cigarette again. “It is el misterio de la vida itself that enters and resonates through my soul and brings forth ideas, plots, characters, locations. When I was younger, it would be joie de vivre that made me forget where I was and put pen to paper.”
Alice curled in a chair in the corner of the room, brushed an unruly chestnut curl off her face, and watched the wafting smoke of his cigarette disappearing under the ceiling.
“That joy of life. Is it somewhere to be found? Is it down to some basic neuroscience and all this stuff we learnt? Those kinds of reward mechanisms and shit like that. Is this it? Is there more to it?”
“For how long can I go on like that?”, interjected Heinrich.
“Yes! You, brainiac, have you figured it out?”
Heinrich plunged on the bed, stretched out his spine, and lay there, motionless, gathering his thoughts together. He was growing more and more bored. For him, pillow talks seemed to have lost their pleasure a long time ago. Now, with Alice, they were getting incredibly boring. Well, whether he liked it or not, it was more of a chore, a part of the play that could not be dispensed with. Be dispensed with. Dispensed. Well, having a high notch count seldom amounts to something satisfying. Would he have thought about where he would end up at the beginning of their escapade? Had he thought about it at all? Had she? Isn’t it something people call ‘poor impulse control’? Are opportunities meant to be seized or missed? Whatever. It’s too late.
“I simply narrow my life down to simple, understandable dimensions.”, finally said he, after what seemed to be a minute’s pause. “To something that I can grasp. To something…tangible. To eat, to sleep, to do my daily stint of work, to laid. You name it.” After some afterthought, he briskly added: “You must be feeling the same, right?”
Alice stood up from the chair, came to the bedside, put on a wry smile and stared at Heinrich from her height. Then, she stretched by his side, her joints cracking.
“I’ve got a nickname for you.”, said Alice, her voice now hoarse and sleepy.
“What is it?”, asked Heinrich in his puerile, incredulous manner.
“Verbosity.”
They laughed and rolled across the bed.
Easy-Breezy English

paveltashkinov пишет: 13 окт 2019, 08:24 stretched out his spine
her joints cracking.
Jack Skellington meets Corpse Bride?
LOL!
paveltashkinov
paveltashkinov

Has writing assumed the proportion of something I am obsessed with? Why do I keep writing? It’d be foolish to claim that I do that just for the sake of mastery in a foreign language. Bullshit.
Looking back on the last years, I can say that my urge to put pen to paper whenever I’d like to has considerably helped me throughout not so bright periods of my life. It helped me to vent it all out. To get in touch with my inner self. To mull it all over. To plan ahead. So, rather than being a simple avocation, my writing habits seem to have served more of a utilitarian purpose. As of some artistic value and shit like that, I’m under no illusion about it.
This autumn, it will have been five years since I switched to English and almost entirely abandoned Russian. I used to think that this English-speaking façade of my personality was something entirely different from one represented by my native tongue. The older I am, the less I’m inclined to do so. This juxtaposition was almost inevitable at the beginning; nowadays, I don’t feel like it makes any sense. First, my experiences have been quite multifarious. Second, I feel entirely at ease in both languages, and I can quite precisely formulate my thoughts and ideas in both.
What’s next? I have no idea. A lot of people urge me to pick up another language. Being aware of how much time and effort it takes to brush up a foreign language to a decent level, I’ve dismissed this idea time and again. I’m too single-minded, too utilitarian, and not so profligate with my leisure time.
As for the questions I’ve raised, well, perhaps, writing may indeed have become some sort of obsession. There’s no feasible purpose behind it, none whatsoever. So what? Does there always have to be one?
I’m not knowing where I’m going in lots of things, my writing, perhaps, being the least important from that welter. And I think it’s entirely okay to be feeling this way for people approaching their late 20s.
Easy-Breezy English

paveltashkinov пишет: 15 окт 2019, 04:44 I used to think that this English-speaking façade of my personality was something entirely different from one represented by my native tongue. The older I am, the less I’m inclined to do so.
Really? That's interesting.
I feel like I have two very distinct personalities when it comes to languages. My attitude changes quite a bit when I switch.
I thought it worked like that for everyone.
paveltashkinov

Easy-Breezy English,
It used to be that way, but now those two personalities seem to be merging. It doesn't really matter much whether I use English or Russian.
About three or four years ago, I would perhaps say that there was some kind of difference. Not anymore.
I am too used to thinking about everything that matters to me in English, in fact, so much so that there seems to be no perceptible difference.
paveltashkinov

Is it a good idea for a couple to live together before they marry?
Write an article for a magazine/newspaper giving your views in about
250-300 words.

As general opinion has it, men are likely to embrace the idea of living together with their spouses before tying the knot, whilst women tend to be less than content with that prospect. Is premarital cohabitation a good thing?

Apparently, it is supposed to be. It would only seem natural for people to want to learn more about each other before the nuptials. From this perspective, living together may seem like a step-up from casual dating. Perhaps, it is one. However, stark reality proves otherwise.

From the woman’s perspective, this idea reeks of immaturity and lack of commitment. For a woman, it may seem like the man she’s been seeing is going to enjoy the perks of living with her (like sex, domestic chores being taken care of, you name it) without being committed to her and being evasive about the future (or lack thereof). Way too often, these women’s concerns are not unfounded.

What is more surprising, though, is that the opposite sex doesn’t seem to be fond of this idea, either. Contemporary men tend to be more pragmatic and thus have at least a sordid view on marriage. First, sex without commitment has become more available and widespread than it was even a generation ago. To gain sex, men are no longer obliged to commit to their partners thereafter like they used to be.

Second, men are waking up to the reality of living in a sexually deregulated marketplace, where women’s promiscuity is endorsed, sex gets commoditized and weaponized, where even a rumour of a man allegedly harassing a woman is enough to get the said man stigmatized, vilified and possibly imprisoned, where men get divorce-raped.

That’s why modern men en masse are opting out of the idea of sharing their house with a woman without marrying her. It is indeed highly debatable whether their concerns are legit or whether the said men are just being too selfish and sexist. Be that as it may, does the experience, however good it may seem to have been, of living with a woman without being married to her automatically imply that the relationships with the said woman will not go sour after the wedding bells have chimed?

I guess that there can be no magic bullet on the issue of marriage. Nowadays, when sexual relationships are more confusing than ever, it’s easy to make some slipshod decisions that may drastically affect your life, and marriage is definitely on the list of such decisions. So, my stance is: whatever works. If a couple decides to move in together, well, so be it. I tend to think that no matter how your relationship may be defined, you’ll never know your significant other without having lived with them for a few years and been through some troubles.

Oftentimes, these experiences may be eye-opening.
paveltashkinov

What fills you with excitement and makes you want to live this life, to move on?
On my way home from work yesterday, I pulled over near a convenience store, where I bought a couple of glazed curd cheese bars. Really good ones, so good, in fact, that there are some memes on the Internet about them. You may check them out.
I came home. There, there wasn’t much to do, really. I sifted through some e-mails and reports. I read for a while. I had an English lesson. I came across that woman one and a half years ago, and we are still practicing. As I’m writing about it now, I find it pleasantly surprising.
How you gonna explain this one
Whatever would you say to your friends
Nobody's gonna rewind this one
Cos there's no easy way of making amends

This day seemed so uneventful as it was happening to me, yet now that I am writing about it it seems to have been so vividly saturated with people, experiences, feelings.
I saw some people roasting meat in my yard.
I saw the first snow melt as it fell.
I saw other cars overtaking my car as I was bombing along an empty thoroughfare with my friends, anticipating a good evening ahead.
I saw the halo around the streetlights.
I saw leaves getting wet with the snow, and I watched them fall on the lead-like glittering asphalt.
Where do writers find their inspiration? Is it erratically woven in the surrounding welter of places, faces, streets, warm summer days and rainy autumn nights? A sound of guitar reaches my ears. When I am pipe and slippers and rocking chair, will I remember those moments? What did I dream about yesterday? When was the last time I genuinely dreamt about something?
To my amazement, I am struggling to recall it. Now that I think about it, I’ve been too busy planning, setting aims, getting there. Tick. Tick. Tick. Almost mechanically. They say, life is what happens while we make other plans. Makes sense. Sometimes, it feels like I am not entirely aware of what is going on. I passively see some things happen to me.
Life is routine. It simply is. High-quality experiences are few and far between. Stimuli alter the baseline of our mood. Sometimes, days drag on one after another, dull, tedious, grey, exhausting days. When you are sad, cast your mind back to those days devoid of any joy, and be grateful. It is the in-between that matters.
Years fly by at a breakneck speed. This pace of time used to scare me. Now, it makes me more mindful. Oddly enough, it seems to be happening to other people of my age around me.
I breathe. I dream. I live.
I am mortal. I am fallible. I am average.
And that’s fine.
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

paveltashkinov пишет: 19 окт 2019, 10:17 A sound of guitar reaches my ears. When I am pipe and slippers and rocking chair...
So thence this deep pessimism of yours comes. Isn't it the only disposition you find the divine guidance in?
If it is, I suggest you try listening to something like this:
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
paveltashkinov
paveltashkinov

Write a letter to a friend who has invited you to stay with them in their country.
In your letter, thank your friend for their invitation, say when you are likely to visit, say what you'd like to do during your visit.
Write at least 150 words.

Dear Mark,
I am delighted to have received your invitation. It would indeed be a pleasure to finally meet you again after all those months of work. There are some things that are yet to be sifted through; I am hoping to do with them in a week or somewhere along these lines. Then, I’ll buy a ticket and finally see you in Cologne.
I’ve heard there are lots of hallmarks to see and lots of museums to go to. I’ve always had a sweet tooth, so I can hardly wait to visit the Museum of chocolate! It would be nice to keep your company there. It would also be great if we could have a few during a boat trip on the Rhein and enjoy a good old chat. Anyway, you must know better what this city of yours has in store, so any of your suggestions are welcome.
Fondly,
Pavel T.

Write about the following topic:
In some societies, more and more people are deciding to live alone.
Why do you think this is? What are the advantages and disadvantages of living alone?
Give reasons for your answers and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.
Write at least 250 words.

In some societies, there is a growing number of people who seem to be content with their decision to live alone. This essay sheds light on the reasons behind this decision as well as on some advantages and disadvantages thereof.

First, it must be said that contemporary society no longer puts as much emphasis on the importance of family as it used to. The concept of the family seems to have been changing. Thus, it is not uncommon nowadays for people to decide not to marry or to live separately when being in a relationship. Having been hitherto frowned upon, these kinds of relationships are no longer socially stigmatized. As such, they are quite widespread these days.

Second, people may feel reluctant to move in with someone else because, should they do so, they may jeopardize their sense of identity and the way of life they are used to. When you live alone, you are the sole owner of your place, time, habits, and nobody is going to infringe upon them. When the only person you are accountable to is yourself, there are no concessions to be made.

On the flip side, this freedom seems to come at the expense of feeling lonely from time to time. Isn’t it comforting to know that there is someone waiting for you at home? After all, people are social creatures. A widely held belief claims that we need someone to take care about, lest our sense of contentment with our life dwindle. Apart from our emotional well-being, the benefits of cohabitation with someone have their pragmatic side. However banal it may sound, people may split some domestic chores. When people live alone, they have no alternative but to be self-reliant.

In my view, there is nothing wrong with people consciously making up their mind to live alone. If they feel that they are not well-cut-out for living with someone, they should not move in with them. Moreover, I firmly believe that before taking a step so huge, we need to learn ourselves first. If we feel that living with someone else may put an additional and unwelcome strain on us, we should perhaps stay put. Moving in with someone else is quite a milestone; it entails so many things to be taken into account. As such, it should be done with due responsibility.
paveltashkinov

simplicity

There’s nothing out of place here:
A guitar’s whining, the sky’s turned blue.
A coffee machine that you hear
Rests on the window with the autumn view

On a gloomy grey thoroughfare.
Now, it is long gone, that wondrous feeling
Of something better ahead.
Illusions are dumped. It’s glass ceiling.

Nothing’s extraneous here.
A coffee machine, a guitar, a starlet.
A handbook with notes on the shelf.
Grey autumn, turning skies scarlet.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

paveltashkinov,
paveltashkinov пишет: 20 окт 2019, 07:38 If they feel that they are not well-cut-out for living with someone, they should not move in with them.
Since the idiom cut out for something means to be naturally able or suited to do/ be something, doesn't the attached "well" seem redundant? I think that you either are cut out for living with someone or you are not. MHO, not nitpicking)
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
paveltashkinov
paveltashkinov

VictorB, now that you've pointed this out to me, you made me think about this turn of phrase. Well, that makes sense!
За это сообщение автора paveltashkinov поблагодарил:
VictorB
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

paveltashkinov пишет: 20 окт 2019, 12:48 It’s glass ceiling
Pavel, it surely can't be your case:-)
"the unseen, yet unbreachable barrier that keeps minorities and women from rising to the upper rungs of the corporate ladder, regardless of their qualifications or achievements."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_ceiling
paveltashkinov

VictorB,
I know what it is). I just felt at liberty to ascribe a somewhat frivolous meaning to that expression.
paveltashkinov

Spending warm summer days indoors,
Writing frightening verse
To a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Morrissey, Ask

“What lies behind her calm façade?
Refinement? Taste for life and art?”
What’s there that struck him unbeknownst
As he meandered down the coast
And watched the ebb and flow of sea?
Waves swelled and roared; he traipsed, unseen
To that new girl he was to meet.

He thought of her. “I seem, indeed,
To have been pretty indiscreet
To pour it out without due heed.
My heart was torn; I watched it bleed.”
Yet never did it him impede;
He’d muster courage and proceed.

Night. He's alone. His pen is leaking,
The ink drops smearing a white sheet.
He hurls it off. What does he seek?
Deceit, pretentiousness, conceit
Have cauterized his better seed.
“Should ... perch in, will she be burnt,
Or, rather, will we be condemned
To an insipid, bland-new life,
Bereft of striving, rife with strife?”

He thinks of what’s ahead. Who knows,
Should he again himself expose?
He laughs it off, turns up his nose
At self-indulgence in such throes.
“It’s here, that precious happenstance
I shall embark upon this quest
And get it off my weary chest!”

Because they both deserve the best.
paveltashkinov

Conscience is a wonderful…Quality? Trait? Something intrinsic? Something acquired?
Is the ability to feel remorse so important? Is it the watershed between psychopaths and people with the capacity for compassion and empathy?
Facing up to his transgressions, Reinhardt had mixed feelings. "I am supposed to feel despicable. My behavior deserves to be called contemptible. I am a lascivious, morally reprehensible reprobate, who tried to execute his kind of Machiavellian ploy. Yet, why am I laughing at these words as I write them down?"
It seems, after all, that he was not ashamed of what he did. To have done the deed the way he did it was stupid of him, though. He wasn’t on his wise side. Having been lured in, Reinhardt took the bait in no time, and thereby relinquished any control of the situation. By the time he realized this, it was way too late. He had divulged too much.
At the end of the day, he seems to have avoided the worst. He learnt a lesson. Some people aware of that predicament he found himself in said that every party involved got what they deserved. Reinhardt harboured some doubts about that stance, though. Ultimately, the person he harmed didn’t deserve this. That’s why he felt repentance.
He chalked it up to experience and moved on.
paveltashkinov

vacuity
of that rife promiscuity
with the hope of continuity
dimming away

vanity
bordering on the borderline
voraciously devouring
whatever good I used to be

vertiginous ventriloquists
vexed by the Venturi tubes
vividly reflected
in his verbose vacillation
so tepid, vapid and void
За это сообщение автора paveltashkinov поблагодарил:
Easy-Breezy English
Easy-Breezy English

paveltashkinov пишет: 16 ноя 2019, 19:14 voraciously devouring
whatever good I used to be

...and vivaciously vindicating my vertigo and ventricular fibrillation... ))
paveltashkinov
paveltashkinov

The ark’s ablaze. With my hope,
We didn’t have the gall to abscond.
I wasn’t that unfledged, yet - I was drawn
By sparkle in your eyes, so woebegone.

Pray come to me, my augur,
We’ll leave behind that earthly squabble
With one atoning sweep from here to there.
You hurled your wedding wreath in mighty heap,
Our sin will be redeemed.

So, would you ask me now, Forgiver,
How I escaped unscathed, like sliver,
And why I kiss the Earth with ev’ry step
Amidst its humdrum and cheap gossip’s ebb?

Please take your time. Don’t quiver,
Ensconced in herbal sheaths, my glimmer.
And may a lilac cardinal once perch on your bedstead
To chirp some song of me in distant land
In your untroubled dream.
paveltashkinov

A morning in St.Pete
Looking out of the window, I see a yellow fabric of a wall, lit by sunlight, punctured with brown wooden window frames here and there. The sky is unusually unclouded, its arrogant blue tinge contrasting with the yellow of the city beneath. A wafting aroma of tobacco smoke and brewed coffee reaches my nostrils and whets my appetite. I put my shirt on and tramp into the kitchen, yawning, scratching my back, feeling the pleasant coolness of the squeaking wooden floor beneath my feet.
My host greets me with a wave and an affable smile. Murmuring some songs under her breath, D. is busy brewing some coffee. I go to the adjacent bathroom and do my morning routine. Then, I go on to enjoy my morning cup of coffee and a roll-your-own offered by D., a young slender woman approaching her 30s, the wrinkles near the corners of her mouth being the only sign revealing her age. I watch her cobbling together some slapdash breakfast and chat with her about some flotsam and jetsam. As I take drag after drag and sip after sip, I look at her. She wears some baggy pants and loose-fitting shirt. She neglects bras.
It’s been one and a half years since the first time I stayed here. I reflect, somehow aloofly, that nothing seems to have changed, even if only at this place, and this thought strangely reassures me. A brazen huge fluffy ginger cat in need of grooming leaps at my knees, and they bulge under his weight. Named after a French film director, Godard the Cat rams my chest with his heavy head and leaves his fur all over my shirt, as if touching the base. Here we go again.
My thoughts meander. I take another sip of coffee and feel it going down my throat, leaving a burning bitterness in my mouth. I watch a blueish wisp of cigarette smoke disappear at it reaches the ceiling.
'Are you going to that concert we talked about yesterday?' - asks D.
I, somehow curtly, reply,
'Yes, I am. I think I'll drop in. See you there.'
I put out my cigarette and go back to my room to change my clothes. Then, three flights of stairs, then, fifty steps to the iron gates.
I breeze into that city with a strange yet surprisingly overwhelming sense of freedom.
Indeed, it’s been a while.
I am turning twenty-seven tomorrow.
Irina
Благодарил (а): 129 раз

Сообщение Irina »

paveltashkinov пишет: 15 дек 2019, 16:01I am turning twenty-seven tomorrow.
It calls for a celebration, doesn't it?)
За это сообщение автора Irina поблагодарил:
Mary May
paveltashkinov

Irina,
Not yet! My birthday is in April.)
Ответить