Should we live longer?

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Olya
Благодарил (а): 159 раз

Сообщение Olya »

Do you think I could? Chances are I won't ever need to do that, thank goodness!))
the Tempter
Благодарил (а): 3 раза

Сообщение the Tempter »

By the way, some text I like:
“Life is a strange thing. Why this longing for life? It is a game which no man wins. To live is to toil hard and to suffer sore, till old age creeps heavily upon us and we throw down our hands on the cold ashes of dead fires. It is hard to live. In pain the babe sucks his first breath, in pain the old man gasps his last, and all his days are full of trouble and sorrow; yet he goes down to the open arms of death, stumbling, falling, with head turned backward, fighting to the last. And death is kind. It is only life and the things of life that hurt. Yet we love life and we hate death. It is very strange.”
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

But for the last two sentences, I'd think you were tempting all of us to join a suicide club )
the Tempter

Сообщение the Tempter »

“And death is kind. It is only life and the things of life that hurt.”

Do you disagree?
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

I'd rather not play with ideas like these.
Excuse me if I won't answer.
Dragon27
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Dragon27 »

This "You can't get hurt if you're not alive" desperately needs to be put onto the appropriate picture.
За это сообщение автора Dragon27 поблагодарил:
Zlatko_Berrin
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Mary May,
the quote belongs to Jack London, and for the life of me I can't believe he would encourage people to commit suicide. His books are the antithesis of giving in :)
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Juliemiracle, but Martin Eden committed suicide, if I remember correctly. He drowned himself in the ocean.
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

acapnotic,
you got me here :)
However, hardly anyone of us is close to a half-literate boy who turned into a successful writer during quite a short period of time. Geniuses are fragile, but Mother Nature is wise, and most of us are ordinary and much sturdier, if you ask me.
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

the Tempter пишет: 02 май 2019, 11:02 “And death is kind. It is only life and the things of life that hurt.”

Do you disagree?
Reminded me of:
"Dying is easy, it's living that scares me to death."

Survival is our strongest instinct. That and procreation. Beats any kind of logic (almost) every time. And it's a good thing.
the Tempter

Сообщение the Tempter »

Of course, people are irrational to a great extent. Strangely enough, It helps sometimes.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Juliemiracle пишет: 02 май 2019, 16:48 Mary May,
the quote belongs to Jack London, and for the life of me I can't believe he would encourage people to commit suicide. His books are the antithesis of giving in :)
Shame on me, I was too ignorant to recognise the quotation.
Still, what I said in #28, was not what you're putting into my mouth.
I said that "but for the last two sentences" I would think the words sounded like "discouragement from life". <But that suggests that because of these two I wouldn't say so...>

Juliemiracle пишет: 02 май 2019, 18:01 ...Geniuses are fragile, but Mother Nature is wise, and most of us are ordinary and much sturdier, if you ask me.
Geniuses are often fragile, agree; and they are a rare exception to our vast ordinary majority.
But those two facts do not mean that our ordinariness can automatically guarantee us emotional sustainability and immunity to suicidal temptations, I'm sorry to say (
Easy-Breezy English пишет: 03 май 2019, 11:30 Survival is our strongest instinct.
- that's the hope )
Dragon27

Сообщение Dragon27 »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 03 май 2019, 11:30 Beats any kind of logic
Well, that's pretty one-sided logic (as I'm sure should be obvious to anyone). Death doesn't have all the life's negative things, but it doesn't have all of its positive things either. If I stop living I'll lose all of the life's pleasure and potential experiences forever, so why should I? Of course, when the suffering gets too much, some people may be swayed into "it's not worth it" kind of thinking, but that doesn't make it the best solution (except for some extreme circumstances, that are the subject of euthanasia debates). People are notorious for making stupid and irrational life decisions (especially when their minds are overwhelmed with some strong emotions). You can only have one life, don't squander it.
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Mary May пишет: 03 май 2019, 11:44 Still, what I said in #28, was not what you're putting into my mouth.
I said that "but for the last two sentences" I would think the words sounded like "discouragement from life". <But that suggests that because of these two I wouldn't say so...>
No, no, I got you. I meant that knowing who the author of the quote is, even without these last 2 sentences, I'd never have thought he could encourage such things.
Mary May пишет: 03 май 2019, 11:44 But those two facts do not mean that our ordinariness can automatically guarantee us emotional sustainability and immunity to suicidal temptations, I'm sorry to say (
Sure. Again I just wanted to point out that no way the death of a genius in "Martin Eden" hinted at the support of suicide by J. London.
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарил:
Mary May
Easy-Breezy English

Dragon27 пишет: 03 май 2019, 11:55 If I stop living I'll lose all of the life's pleasure and potential experiences forever, so why should I?
That's what I mean. Don't think too much. Survive. Procreate. Enjoy. :-)
Easy-Breezy English

the Tempter пишет: 03 май 2019, 11:41 Of course, people are irrational to a great extent. Strangely enough, It helps sometimes.
I think it helps to lighten up a bit and just have some good ol’ fun. Most of the time people are so full of themselves and their PROBLEMS. While ultimately what does it all matter? We are here for one reason or another, so let’s make the best of it.
Dragon27

Сообщение Dragon27 »

когда бежишь на свет в тоннеле
шагов за десять до конца
сверни налево там аптечка
патроны бонусы и жизнь
(c)
the Tempter

Сообщение the Tempter »

I think that much more interesting question is 'How long should we live?' It certainly isn't enough what we have now, but to live for an indefinite period of time seems to me even worse. What are we going to do for millennia to come? Repeat over and over again what we did in the previous century? I don't know. It doesn't look interesting enough. Maybe a few centuries will well suffice, but no more.
Dragon27

Сообщение Dragon27 »

A distinguishing characteristic of a well-developed future society - boredom-induced suicide becomes the leading cause of death :)
the Tempter

Сообщение the Tempter »

That is why we don't see advanced civilizations. They are all gone, couldn't bear the sheer vastness of time, and space, and boredom.
the Tempter

Сообщение the Tempter »

To tell you the truth, Paradise and Hell is the same place. How you receive it depends only on the amount of time you have been there. Don't believe 'occasional tourists'. Trust me, I know better ;)
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

the Tempter пишет: 03 май 2019, 15:08 Repeat over and over again what we did in the previous century? I don't know. It doesn't look interesting enough.
But how many times have you eaten? Thousands, but you get hungry and you want to eat again. Why haven't you been bored to death by this activity?
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
Yety
the Tempter

Сообщение the Tempter »

It is beyond human capacity to comprehend eternal life. If people could, they wouldn't wish it. Poor things.
Olya
Благодарил (а): 159 раз

Сообщение Olya »

the Tempter пишет: 03 май 2019, 20:06 It is beyond human capacity to comprehend eternal life. If people could, they wouldn't wish it. Poor things.
Mankind's dream of enternal life still inspires people today and you'll probably experience it in the final.)
Easy-Breezy English

the Tempter пишет: 03 май 2019, 20:06 It is beyond human capacity to comprehend eternal life. If people could, they wouldn't wish it.
Connor MacLeod?
Ответить