Yet another CAE preparation thread

Подготовка и впечатления от сдачи экзамена. Помощь в разборе письменных работ. выбор и обсуждение необходимых материалов. Cambridge English (CPE, CAE, FCE ect.), IELTS, TOEFL и другие.

Модератор: mikka

Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

Anima Sola пишет: 30 июл 2019, 08:55 Easy-Breezy English,
думаете, за такой отзыв мне бы на CAE снизили баллы, за то, что слишком много "чувств и ощущений"?
Нет, за это не стали бы снижать. Но чем более поэтичен стиль и абстрактен предмет, тем выше вероятность получить не совсем адекватный текст на иностранном языке. Иностранец сможет написать сносную инструкцию по сборке полки, но из-под его пера выйдет не вполне лингвистически однозначное рассуждение о сущности бытия.

Вы так увеличиваете вероятность ошибки. Вам же главное экзамен сдать, правильно? Я бы на этом сосредоточилась, а креативила бы потом. Креативность на экзамене мало кого волнует.

Но если вам такой стиль органичен, то пишите так, конечно. Сам текст хороший, только немножко смахивает на рекламу.
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
Anima Sola
Anima Sola
Благодарил (а): 25 раз

Сообщение Anima Sola »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 30 июл 2019, 10:45 Но чем более поэтичен стиль и абстрактен предмет, тем выше вероятность получить не совсем адекватный текст на иностранном языке. Иностранец сможет написать сносную инструкцию по сборке полки, но из-под его пера выйдет не вполне лингвистически однозначное рассуждение о сущности бытия. Вы так увеличиваете вероятность ошибки.
Это, конечно, очень важный фактор. Вы совершенно правы.
Easy-Breezy English пишет: 30 июл 2019, 10:45 Вам же главное экзамен сдать, правильно? Я бы на этом сосредоточилась, а креативила бы потом. Креативность на экзамене мало кого волнует.
Важно, но не знаю, насколько я готова себе ломать кости, чтобы втиснуться в формат.
Про креативность согласна: экзамен - не место для выкрутасов. Тут так получилось, что не особо-то я креативила. Я просто еще помню все, чего начиталась на fragrantica.com при выборе духов :)
Вообще, я хочу попробовать все виды заданий написать, посмотреть, где лучше получится, где сложнее, и отсюда плясать. А еще на экзамене буду на точную формулировку задания смотреть. То есть если даже с review будет неплохо, в целом, но на экзамене будет требоваться про такое написать, что меня в тупик поставит (типа мясорубки :), возьму letter, условно говоря.
Easy-Breezy English пишет: 30 июл 2019, 10:45 Сам текст ... немножко смахивает на рекламу.
Вот это меня и смутило: не посчитают ли этот отзыв уходом от review writing conventions. Но про духи таких отзывов очень много, и от обычных людей, и как в задании, "для журнала". Понятно, почему: продукт очень субъективный, но зато есть возможность describe, explain, express your opinion and recommend.
P.S. Выводы сделаны весьма полезные из всех отзывов. Возьму ложку и буду копать тоннель дальше :)))
BeerMug
Благодарил (а): 108 раз

Сообщение BeerMug »

Очередное письменное задание. На сей раз - review

Задание
You have recently been on an activity holiday and decide to write a review of the holiday for a travel magazine. In your review, describe the particular activity holiday, and evaluate to what extent it met your expectationa and whether you would encourage other people to try this kind of holiday.

Review
Being a fan of Ancient history, I was always interested in the architecture of the Roman empire. Amazing roads, some of which are still in use today, were no small feat in the absence of modern materials and construction tools. So, it is no surprise that when “Build a Roman road!” was advertised in my town, I didn’t hesitate. To participate in building a mile of a stone road using only the tools available at that time? It was like a dream come true.

I still can’t believe how mistaken I was. In theory, our group was responsible for the logistics of the project – delivering stone from a local quarry and hauling the empty wheelbarrows back on a strict schedule. Such a task requires experienced leaders and great communication skills. However, not only was the management team inexperienced, but it also didn’t have a single man proficient in English. I had to check the ad again – to see if I hadn’t accidentally signed up for the “Build a Babylon tower!”. Fortunately, problems with communication didn’t prevent us from finishing our part, albeit only by trial and error. As one of my fellow “slaves” mentioned, the only positive thing from this ordeal was the companionship – after only three weeks together we were ready to stage a revolt.

Last but not least, the food and accommodation were horrendous. We lived in a small hostel that provided one room for every 6 members of the team and stale rations from a local military surplus warehouse. More than that, the water had to be rationed as the local water pump was being repaired. All in all, it was one of the worst months of my life. I don’t want anyone to experience this.

Words – 289
Time – 41 min
Grammarly – 2 артикля, 1 запятая.

Скрин "образца"
Изображение
Anima Sola

Сообщение Anima Sola »

Добрый день,
написала очередное письменное задание - на этот раз proposal.
Это было тяжело. Я до CAE про такой формат письменной работы вообще не слышала. Посмотрела, конечно, несколько образцов и общие принципы, но все равно чувствовала, что я out of my depth. И совершенно ни в чем не уверена: ни в выполнении поставленной задачи, ни в структуре, ни в уместности тона и регистра, ни в языке.
Если кто-то уделит время, чтобы почитать, - буду очень рада и благодарна :)
Задание:
Изображение
Сам текст:
Proposal for N University 20th Anniversary
Introduction

Having discussed various options with my colleagues and researched the matter online, I am presenting my proposal on two types of events to celebrate our university’s 20th anniversary.
“External” Event
First of all, celebrating of this kind provides us with an opportunity to attract potential students. With this in mind, it has been suggested that a fair where every department will present their own stall may showcase both our achievements and diversity. We would advise to hold a meeting with representatives from all the departments and brainstorm for ideas on possible activities. Additionally, we propose the “Olympus Expo” as a suitable venue as it offers a large enough space with built-in media facilities. Moreover the location in question is adaptable, which will account for the array of miscellaneous activities that we might want to organise.
“Internal” Event
However, not only should such a celebration be viewed as a promotional opportunity but also as a teambuilding event where the staff will feel appreciated. To achieve this, we believe that an informal party at a local restaurant could be welcomed with enthusiasm. In our experience, employees strongly object to formal events, considering them “pompous” while those which create a casual atmosphere are hailed. I am also enclosing a potential venue suggestion – “The Pearl” restaurant, which is reasonably priced (see the enclosed pricelist), has a cosy interior and stellar reviews.
Conclusion
In conclusion, I dare say that celebrating our anniversary in two distinctive ways will allow us to reach several essential goals and all the participants will benefit from it.
264 words, 45 mins
Mistakes & questions: (я пока перепечатываю рукописный текст, смотрю его еще раз внимательно со словарями, а потом прогоняю через Grammarly)
• their own stall – Grammarly предлагает убрать own (тавтология), а я сомневаюсь насчет their, т.к. до этого идет every department – уместно ли такое в formal style?
• Забыла зпт после Moreover
• Думаю, что нужна зпт после considering them “pompous”
• Не уверена, что нужна зпт после “The Pearl” restaurant
• 2 раза в 1 предложении повторила enclose. Наверное, во 2-ой раз надо было see the attached написать
• Неправильно написала слово price list (надо было раздельно).
Anima Sola

Сообщение Anima Sola »

Читаю еще раз и тоже режет глаз:
    где-то I, а где-то we - не будет ли сбивать с толку?
      Anima Sola пишет: 04 авг 2019, 17:03 celebrating of this kind
      странно звучит...
        Anima Sola пишет: 04 авг 2019, 17:03 Moreover the location in question is adaptable, which will account for the array of miscellaneous activities that we might want to organise.
        Сейчас читаю и понимаю, что вообще наверно непонятно, что я хотела тут сказать - лучше бы это вычеркнуть.
          почему ресторан станет teambuilding? почему все почувствуют, что их ценят, при чем тут пассаж про formal events? Сейчас уже самой кажется все unclear и irrelevant.
            I dare say - too spoken?
            Не текст, а винегрет какой-то. Ноль за него бы сама себе поставила :(
            Juliemiracle
            Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Anima Sola пишет: 04 авг 2019, 17:03stall
            not sure if this word's suitable
            booth? stand? maybe
            Anima Sola пишет: 04 авг 2019, 17:03 We would advise to hold
            advise sb to do sth
            Anima Sola пишет: 04 авг 2019, 17:03stellar
            informal https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... sh/stellar
            За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарил:
            Anima Sola
            BeerMug

Сообщение BeerMug »

Да, коллеги, я постоянно забываю просить о критике в свой адрес. Но я всегда крайне рад любым критическим замечаниям в любой форме :)
            Easy-Breezy English

Anima Sola, you’ve still gone over the word limit. You need to work on that. Don’t write another text – work with this one. Try to get rid of about 30 words. I bet it’ll make the text better.

A few random suggestions...

You are switching between “I” and “we”.
            I am presenting my proposal
            We would advise to hold a meeting
            Who are these “we”? Мы, Николай II? Use the first person singular or make it completely impersonal (It is proposed…).

Look into using quotation marks in English.
            “External” Event
            “Internal” Event
            the “Olympus Expo”
            “The Pearl” restaurant
            “pompous”
            You don’t need them in any of the above cases.

In terms of structure, your proposal is quite good, but can be better.

In the introduction clearly state your purpose.
            The aim of this proposal is…
            This proposal is aimed at…
            In this proposal I present…

Be specific.
            The phrase “Having discussed various options with my colleagues and researched the matter online” tells me nothing.
            Это вода, от нее нужно избавляться.

You might want to make your introduction a bit longer. Give your readers the outline of your text.

Your headings are too whimsical. What are these external and internal events? Just say Promotional Event and Team Building Event.

Make your conclusion stronger. None of the “dare say” or hedging of any sort. You are trying to persuade people, remember? It is my strong belief, I recommend or something like that.
            Anima Sola

Сообщение Anima Sola »

Easy-Breezy English,
            спасибо за как всегда такой внимательный анализ моей работы!
            Easy-Breezy English пишет: 05 авг 2019, 23:24 you’ve still gone over the word limit. You need to work on that. Don’t write another text – work with this one. Try to get rid of about 30 words
            Вот тут не очень понятно. Для CAE лимит 220-260 слов, вроде, а у меня 264. В model answer к этому заданию было где-то 270 слов. Почему мне нужно на 30 слов примерно пытаться сократиться?
            Easy-Breezy English пишет: 05 авг 2019, 23:24 You are switching between “I” and “we”.
            Да, я это тоже уже заметила, когда перепечатывала. Буду стремиться, наверное, к impersonal по возможности.
            Easy-Breezy English пишет: 05 авг 2019, 23:24 You don’t need them in any of the above cases.
            А как быть с названиями - я же не могу их в рукописном варианте курсивом выделить?
            Easy-Breezy English пишет: 05 авг 2019, 23:24 In terms of structure, your proposal is quite good, but can be better.
            Это уже хорошо, учитывая, что это вообще первый proposal в моей жизни :)
            Easy-Breezy English пишет: 05 авг 2019, 23:24 In the introduction clearly state your purpose.
            Да, явно нужно с какой-то из формулировок, подобной вашим примерам, начинать.
            Easy-Breezy English пишет: 05 авг 2019, 23:24 Be specific.
            The phrase “Having discussed various options with my colleagues and researched the matter online” tells me nothing.
            Это я в рекомендациях и образце прочитала про опору на кого-то (типа, факты, чье-то еще мнение), но явно не с этого надо было начать и как-то четче это озвучить, если уж вставлять такую ссылку на кого-то.
            Easy-Breezy English пишет: 05 авг 2019, 23:24 You might want to make your introduction a bit longer. Give your readers the outline of your text.
            Да, это прямо замечательная идея.
            Easy-Breezy English пишет: 05 авг 2019, 23:24 Your headings are too whimsical. What are these external and internal events? Just say Promotional Event and Team Building Event.
            Поняла. Все четко-конкретно :)
            Easy-Breezy English пишет: 05 авг 2019, 23:24 Make your conclusion stronger. None of the “dare say” or hedging of any sort. You are trying to persuade people, remember? It is my strong belief, I recommend or something like that.
            Буду стараться :) Тем более dare say, как выяснилось, вообще больше spoken и для formal proposal по регистру не подходит.
            Еще раз спасибо!
            tourist
            Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

BeerMug,
            some random suggestions for you to consider:

- why did you capitalise Ancient?
            - I think roads/bridges are a part of infrastructure, not architecture
            - construction tools -> construction equipment
            - for the logistics of the project -> for the project's logistics
            - experienced leaders -> experienced supervisors /managers
            (Great Leaders are running North Korea ... and some other countries)
            - the Babylon tower or was it the tower of Babel? nice joke anyway )
            - though synonyms,I'd say camaraderie rather than companionship
            - We lived in a small hostel that provided one room for every 6 members of the team ->
            better: we lived in a small hostel, six in a room
            - water had to be rationed [as well]
            За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
            BeerMug
            Easy-Breezy English

Anima Sola пишет: 05 авг 2019, 23:50 Вот тут не очень понятно. Для CAE лимит 220-260 слов, вроде, а у меня 264. В model answer к этому заданию было где-то 270 слов. Почему мне нужно на 30 слов примерно пытаться сократиться?
            У вас тенденция выходить за лимит. В стрессовой ситуации вы, скорее всего, за него и выйдете. Лучше сейчас набить руку, чем родить монстра на экзамене.

Далее:
            (1) длинный текст = больше места для ошибок;
            (2) длинный текст = меньше времени для планирования и проверки;
            (3) длинный текст в абсолютном большинстве случаев проигрывает по качеству короткому.

Смотрите:
            Moreover the location in question is adaptable, which will account for the array of miscellaneous activities that we might want to organise.

In our experience, employees strongly object to formal events, considering them “pompous” while those which create a casual atmosphere are hailed.
            Переписываем:

Moreover, this location can be easily adapted for a wide array of potential activities.
            In our experience, employees prefer informal appreciation events to formal celebrations.

А как быть с названиями - я же не могу их в рукописном варианте курсивом выделить?
            Названия организаций, ресторанов и т.п. "поднимаете" - все слова, кроме артиклей и коротких предлогов, пишите с заглавной буквы, без кавычек.
            Easy-Breezy English пишет: 05 авг 2019, 23:24 Be specific.
            Это я в рекомендациях и образце прочитала про опору на кого-то (типа, факты, чье-то еще мнение), но явно не с этого надо было начать и как-то четче это озвучить, если уж вставлять такую ссылку на кого-то.
            Так это не опора. Эта фраза говорит только о том, что ваш proposal взялся не с потолка. Это и так предполагается. Если хотите сослаться на кого-то, пусть это будет кто-то конкретный. Президент Трамп, например. Мы тут с Трампом посовещались и решили...
            Поняла. Все четко-конкретно :)
            Вот это должно быть девизом в подобной писанине. Представляете, сидит кто-то и проверяет десяток за десятком таких шедевров. Да человека тошнит уже, не заставляйте его мозг взрываться. ))
            Anima Sola
            Easy-Breezy English

BeerMug, что-то у всех проблемы с лимитом слов... Режьте, не дожидаясь перитонитов.
            И куда заключение потерялось?
            BeerMug
            Anima Sola

Сообщение Anima Sola »

Easy-Breezy English,
            спасибо!
            Я тут с очередным заданием. И опять у меня с объемом проблемы. Сейчас-то я вижу, что можно сократить, но когда пишу... :(
            Как обычно, буду благодарна любому, кто найдет время посмотреть и прокомментировать.
            Задание:
            Изображение
            Само письмо:
            To whom it may concern,

I am writing this letter to notify you about the video that our university is planning to shoot for publicity reasons and how each of us is going to assist in its creation.
            You are aware that our promotional campaign for the upcoming semester starts in two months. To raise awareness among potential students, we will create a video and upload it to the university landing age as well as social media.

Having taken all of the above into consideration, you must have realized that the video in question is essentially an advertisement. In terms of content, its first part will comprise some key information, including the size of the student body, the qualifications of the academic staff, and other relevant information. Afterwards, we will focus on various achievements both of our students and alumni. The last part is going to allow the views to see our ‘human face’ and will show our daily workflow with Q&A of those working and studying there.

The abovementioned latter piece of the video will require your aid. Starting next week, a cameraman will be walking the campus on a regular basis for two weeks, creating video footage. Everyone has to wear smart casual dress, be prepared to carry out their routine work while being shot for up to thirty minutes, and also answer some general interest questions. Additionally, you are advised to instruct your students so that they are not overwhelmed by the prospect of being filmed.

Let us all cooperate for the best possible outcome.

Should you have any further questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes,
            Anima Sola
            Marketing Dpt.,
            N University

278 words, 45 mins

Ошибки и вопросы:
            • слишком длинно!!! – пока не знаю, как бороться: пишется так за ограниченное время и ручкой, а потом вычеркивать уже плохо получается в рукописном виде, чтобы текст совсем не покорежить (кое-что вычеркнула)
            • narrow range of less common lexis & of grammar structures
            • notify sb OF sth
            • is essentially an advertisement – нужны ли зпт вокруг essentially?
            • its first part will comprise some key information – правильно ли использовано слово comprise?
            • 2 раза повторяется information в одном предложении: надо было в первом случае, например, facts
            • both of our students and alumni – эту часть Ворд советует переделать как both of our students and OF alumni – правильно?
            • the views – должно быть the viewers
            • не уверена, подходит ли по контексту слово workflow
            • 2 раза повторяется week в одном предложении, можно было for fourteen days
            • Grammarly посоветовал on a regular basis заменить на regularly и, кажется, ругается на cameraman, что это potentially sensitive language – правда лучше заменить на camera operator?

Что-то у меня ощущение, что я с каждым разом пишу все хуже и хуже... К экзамену, видимо, я начну рисовать пиктограммы в стиле наскальной живописи или "моя идти дом".
            tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Anima Sola,
            as usual ... )

- To whom it may concern, -> (too official)
            better: Dear Colleagues,

- I am writing this letter to notify you about the video that our university is planning to shoot
            -> Our university is planning to create a video ..

- You are aware that our promotional campaign for the upcoming semester starts in two months
            do you really need to say that ?
            then : As many of you are aware ...

- and upload it to the university landing age as well as social media. ->
            which will be available on our university's website and on social media

- Having taken all of the above into consideration, you must have realised that the video in question is essentially an advertisement.
            this is just a convoluted rehash of the previous sentence.

- In terms of content, its first part will comprise some key information, including .. need rephrasing

- the size of the student [governing] body,

- Afterwards, we will focus on various achievements both of our students and alumni.
            on what our current and former students had achieved

-The above mentioned latter piece of the video ... this is Paveltashkinov-esque legalese )
            better: This part of the video would require your help.

- a cameraman will be walking the campus: it's just one scary proposition ... rephrase

- Everyone has to wear smart casual dress .. even men ? ))
            being shot for up to 30 minutes ... wow, even Islamic States guys don't do it to their prisoners

casually dressed/ filmed
            кажется, ругается на cameraman, что это potentially sensitive language – правда лучше заменить на camera operator?
            this is yet another PC BS, for Russian examiners it is irrelevant, otherwise... well, it's up to you.
            За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарили (всего 2):
            Juliemiracle, Anima Sola
            Anima Sola

Сообщение Anima Sola »

tourist,
            спасибо большое!
            Да, мне еще работать и работать над письмом.
            tourist

Сообщение tourist »

nm
            Последний раз редактировалось tourist 12 авг 2019, 00:56, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
            Easy-Breezy English

Anima Sola пишет: 11 авг 2019, 21:41 то-то у меня ощущение, что я с каждым разом пишу все хуже и хуже...
            Anima Sola, self-deprecating won't get your anywhere. Your writing isn't perfect, but it's perfectly acceptable for your level. You just need to keep working on it.
            BeerMug

Сообщение BeerMug »

Итак, следующее задание - письмо.

Задание
            You receive this letter from a Canadian friend.
            ..... I'm doing a project on the use of technology in education around the world. Could you tell me about your experience of using technology for learning? What do you think are the main advantages and disadvantages of using technology for learning?

I look forward to hearing from you

Само письмо
            Dear Kevin,
            Your project sounds like an interesting one! I think online tutorials from different websites (such as Lynda, Youtube, TGC etc.) may be the best example for you. They have proved to be a useful and versatile tool for studying by myself, so let me share my experience with you.

Usually, I start with downloading the tutorial package to my computer and reading the description notes – can’t let myself delve into studying the wrong topic, can I? After reading those notes, I tend to follow the outlined study plan as I don’t think it is wise to deviate from the advice of experienced teachers too much. At the end, there’s usually a set of exercises, a quiz, or even a test, so I can always check my knowledge. Those pesky tests can be seriously hard though!

The advantages of such tutorials are obvious to me. First of all, you study at your own pace, so no more sleepless nights before the exam while cramming all you can. Secondly, most of the tutorials are very cheap or even free, which I can’t say about our education. And finally, the quality of the tutorials is monitored by a community of students, so I can count on them if something is wrong.

The only major disadvantage for me is the inability to ask questions during the tutorial or right after it. Sure, you can write a letter to the author, but nothing beats face-to-face discussion in class.

That’s about it. If I haven’t answered your questions completely, feel free to write back as always.

Sincerely yours,

Words – 264
            Time – 34 minutes
            Grammarly – 1 article

Проверенный образец:
            Изображение

Мысли от сравнения: лексику мне нужно было использовать сложнее. Также, кажется, что я не совсем правильно ответил на последний вопрос и описал, скорее минусы от использования моего конкретного примера, нежели технологии в целом. С другой стороны, в образце примерно такой же "отход", но там высокие оценки. В общем, упор я сделал на простоту конструкций, читабельность и размер текста, но не получилось ли от этого больше вреда, чем пользы?

P.S. Easy-Breezy English, tourist, огромное спасибо за критику и уделенное время! По-прежнему прошу всех участников форума критиковать мои работы :)
            tourist

Сообщение tourist »

BeerMug,
            usual disclaimer:
            my suggestions are based on real life experience.
            They may or may not (!) meet specific requirements for the essay.
            In other words: you have to decide what's more important to you ...
            learning to speak naturally or passing the test/exam. )

- Your project sounds like an interesting one! -> Sounds interesting.

- I think online tutorials from different websites (such as ...) may be the best example for you. ->
            In my opinion, online tutorials from different various websites
            constitute good examples of using technology for ...
            different and various can be synonyms, but you mean variety rather than differences

- They have proved to be a useful and versatile tool for studying by myself ->
            I find these tutorials very helpful/useful for studying

- description notes ? -> introductions/synopsis/brief summary

- can't let myself delve into studying the wrong topic, can I? -> this phrase is not necessary.

- I tend to follow the outlined study plan as I don’t think it is wise to deviate from the advice of experienced teachers too much
            what this statement has to do with anything?

- so I can always check my knowledge -> to review what I've learned

- most of the tutorials are very cheap ... -> very affordable (cheap here implies low quality not just low price)

- which I can’t say about our education -> which saves me a fortune.

- quality of the tutorials is monitored by a community of students, so I can count on them if something is wrong.
            community of students? count on whom exactly:community or tutorials?

- if something is wrong -> if there are any mistakes/if something goes wrong/if I've got any questions

- The only major disadvantage for me is the inability to ask questions during the tutorial or right after it

- If I haven’t answered your questions completely -> if you've got any further questions or need additional details/information
            BeerMug
            Anima Sola

Сообщение Anima Sola »

Я собралась с духом и написала свое 2-ое эссе. Буду безмерно рада любым отзывам.
            Задание:
            https://ibb.co/pQwnDz3
            Эссе:
            Fostering scientific research is of utmost importance if a country aims at steady development. To reach this goal, young people should be encouraged to study science. Consequently, the question arises: how can we do it in the most effective way? This essay will focus on two options: advertising and school programmes promoting science.

If we consider advertisement as a way of generating interest in science, its major advantage will be its ubiquity. Indeed, a great number of youngsters can be reached with the help of the right commercial on TV, on the radio, or via social media. Nevertheless, this option has at least one crucial drawback: we are so inundated with various advertisements that we tend to tune them out completely. That means that despite its potentially wide coverage, advertising may go unnoticed by its target audience.

Let us now turn to the other way of encouragement – science programmes at school. The first and most obvious reason for it is the fact how easy it is to integrate science into a school curriculum and syllabus, for example into Maths. What is more, students could start with an engaging experience, for instance, participating in a science fair with a soda volcano project. After the attention has been captured, teachers could slowly move into tackling more ambitious projects with their students.

Having taken all of the above into consideration, I should say that if I had to choose one most effective way of attracting the youth to studying science, I would go with school programmes without a doubt. This is because the advantages of introducing such programmes at school far outweigh the potential benefits of promoting science through advertising.

277 words (ничего не могу поделать, это после вычеркивания примерно 10 строк текста в процессе - #многословие#больная тема), 45 mins
            Mistakes & questions:
            • tune out – informal register - лучше we tend to pay them no attention at all
            • a country aims at – a country’s policy is aimed at steady development / a country aims to develop steadily
            • in the most effective way – most effectively/efficiently – совет Grammarly
            • consider advertisement – нужен ли здесь артикль? Мне кажется, что нет (здесь абстрактное значение слова), а Grammarly кажется - да.
            • The first and most obvious reason for it is the fact how easy it is – явно перегруженный кусок – надо упрощать - The first and most obvious reason is that it is easy…
            • soda - лучше baking soda?
            IrinaS
            Благодарил (а): 152 раза

Сообщение IrinaS »

Anima Sola пишет: 26 авг 2019, 17:00 Я собралась с духом и написала
            So did I =)
            Task:
            Dear colleagues,
            I am pleased to announce that a generous budget of £3.000 has been set aside to improve the working experience of everyone at the company. I invite all employees to submit a proposal outlining how they feel this money would best be spent.

Proposal for improving everyday life at the company
            Introduction
            As requested, I am submitting the following proposal to present the key needs to be addressed and introduce a series of recommendations which I believe will positively impact everyday life at the company.
            Green zone
            It is a well-known fact that the change of activity during a working day is of vital importance for preserving people’s productivity. Currently, our colleagues lack such an opportunity as to go somewhere outside since our company is situated in a very congested place and the nearest parks are far from being at hand. Consequently, the workers have to spend their brakes in the same positions, that is stuck behind their desks or at least just strolling along the gloomy corridors. I recommend paying our attention to the abandoned square beside the block of offices. Although it is not very large, it does not look on the road being shielded by the building. It would be sensible to bring this area back to life by picking up litter, planting trees, beds and constructing cosy benches. Not only will it provide all the staff with necessary green surroundings but it will unite people from different departments so that they can discuss daily issues, share their views on urgent workplace problems to the benefit of our company.
            Equipment upgrade
            Recent surveys among those who resigned have revealed their deep dissatisfaction with existing facilities and equipment. They have complained that computers are too slow to operate them successfully and some other technical devices are on their last legs. For this reason they were not able to finish certain projects on time and thus realise their potential to the utmost. This underscores the need to replace out of date machines by purchasing brand new ones for the staff retention and prosperity of the company.
            Conclusion
            To sum up, I trust you will give this proposal clear consideration.
            За это сообщение автора IrinaS поблагодарил:
            Anima Sola
            tourist

Сообщение tourist »

some random thoughts:
            - of [the] utmost importance

- between effective and efficient both are possible,
            but I'd chose efficient here (we're talking about the ways to do things)

- its major advantage will be its .. repeated its ->
            ubiquity widespread application of science will be an advantage

- the right commercial on TV, on the radio -> clever TV and radio commercials

- we tend to tune them out completely -> we tend to (completely) ignore them/we don't pay any attention to them

- unnoticed by its [the] target audience ( repeating its in the same sentence,again )

- Let us now turn to -> look at or is it not sophisticated enough? )

- reason for it is the fact how easy it is - it it it -> obvious reason is the easiness/ability to integrate...

- syllabus and curriculum
            Syllabus is the document that contains all the portion of the concepts covered in a subject.
            Curriculum is the overall content, taught in an educational system or a course.
            I's chose curriculum

- backing soda is better not to confuse our American friends )

- After the attention has been captured -> after getting their attention ...
            captured? really? remember ADHD? ))

- Having taken all of the above into consideration -> all things considered

- I should say that vs. I would say that ... hmm, dunno this is a can of warms ... (

I'm not sure to what extent we have to trust Grammarly.
            It may work for beginners, perhaps?
            Anima Sola
            Anima Sola

Сообщение Anima Sola »

Пытаюсь нагнать несколько недель писательской лени - написала свой первый report.
            Наверное всем уже надоели мои письмена, но если кто-то покомментирует - я, как всегда, очень порадуюсь :)
            Задание:
            https://ibb.co/QrDrsbP
            Report:
            Report on Student Website
            Introduction

The main aims of this report are:
            1) to analyse whether the website in question has reached the objectives set;
            2) to provide reasons for the future funding of the project.
            As preparation for the report, I have interviewed a cross-section of the student body as well as the presidents of the college clubs and those in charge of the public events held locally.
            Meeting the Targets
            The first aim of the site – to attract students to some events organised in our city – has been successfully completed. This is evident from the feedback kindly provided by the organisers. According to their data, the exit polls of the participants showed that a large number of them received the information on our website.
            Secondly, our project is aimed at promoting organisations within the college, for instance clubs. Apparently, the objective has not been met as the club presidents did not report any considerable change in the influx of newcomers.
            The last but not least aim was to create a non-threatening space where students could share their product reviews. It appears that this has been by far the most well-received initiative, judging by the sheer number of ‘likes’ and of sharing product review posts. Additionally, the respondents unanimously characterized it as a most beneficial feature of the site.
            Conclusion and Further Recommendations
            All things considered, I am absolutely sure that the project must continue to receive college funding in the next year. Not only has it reached the majority of the goals but it also has the additional benefit of fostering a sense of unity among the students of our college.
            Should we change the way the clubs are advertised (make it more youth-friendly), I have no doubt that the second aim will be achieved in the forthcoming year as well.
            303 words (слов правда много, но мне почему-то не кажется перегруженным; возможно я просто слепа и проверяющий меня мысленно забьет до смерти моими листами),
            45 mins
            Что нашла:
            1) нужна зпт после for instance;
            2) возможно нужно youth friendly писать без дефиса, т.к. он в пост-позиции?
            3) Grammarly предлагает убрать successfully (в successfully completed), apparently, absolutely (в absolutely sure) и заменить have no doubt на do not doubt, но я с ним не согласна. Мне кажется, так получается более assertive and with my position throughout.
            4) Еще он хочет менять a most на the most, но тут 100% надо оставить, так как я имела в виду «крайне/весьма», а не «самый».
            5) Нужны ли зпт тут: The last, but not least, aim???
            tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Let's see )

- As preparation for the report -> While preparing this report (sounds better)

- those in charge -> people in charge (again, just sounds better)

- The first aim -> the main aim (unless you're just counting aims rather than ranking them by importance)

- to attract students to some events organised in our city (we want to attract them to ALL events)

- exit poll ... I'm not sure we can use it for anything other than voting(?)
            I'd say: opinion poll/random polling

- promoting organisations within the college, for instance clubs ->
            promoting clubs as part of the college structure.

- Apparently Unfortunately, the objective has not been met

- any considerable change in the influx of newcomers -> in expressed interest / attendance or similar

- The last but not least: possible, but sounds like announcing the Oscar nominees )

- non-threatening space (?) we are not talking here about safe space for liberal snowflakes
            (my personal pet hate) better: convenient/suitable

- as a [the] most beneficial useful feature
            "a most" does not mean «крайне/весьма» what am I missing ?
            say particularly instead

- project must continue to receive college funding ->
            better: funding must be extended into the next year

- Not only has it (what?) reached the majority of the goals but it (what?) also ...

- Should we change the way the clubs are advertised -> Changing the way the clubs are promoted

Again, Grammarly should not be treated as the Gospel, you're an advanced speaker,remember? )

- you could alternate aim and goal more often

- forthcoming (Danger! Paveltashkinov-ism!) -> next )
            Anima Sola
            Anima Sola

Сообщение Anima Sola »

Спасибо!!!
            tourist пишет: 29 авг 2019, 03:36 - As preparation for the report -> While preparing this report (sounds better)
            Вот тебе и модель из учебника Advanced )
            tourist пишет: 29 авг 2019, 03:36 - those in charge -> people in charge (again, just sounds better)
            Эх, а так хотелось блеснуть formal referencing через those.
            tourist пишет: 29 авг 2019, 03:36 - The first aim -> the main aim (unless you're just counting aims rather than ranking them by importance)
            Просто первая, не главная.
            tourist пишет: 29 авг 2019, 03:36 - as a [the] most beneficial useful feature
            "a most" does not mean «крайне/весьма» what am I missing ?
            say particularly instead
            Но, но, но, как же... а Свон?
            356 7 most meaning very Most can be used before adjectives to mean 'very' in evaluating expressions, especially in formal style. e.g. Thank you for a most interesting afternoon. That is most kind of you. The experience was most distressing.

И в книжках я такие примеры видела ("Хоббит", рассказы Киплинга).
            tourist пишет: 29 авг 2019, 03:36 - you could alternate aim and goal more often
            А target можно тоже или лучше не надо?
            * Записала себе все "улучшайзинги" в молескин )
            Ответить