FCE Writing Practice

Подготовка и впечатления от сдачи экзамена. Помощь в разборе письменных работ. выбор и обсуждение необходимых материалов. Cambridge English (CPE, CAE, FCE ect.), IELTS, TOEFL и другие.

Модератор: mikka

QwestDay
Благодарил (а): 664 раза

Сообщение QwestDay »

Irina пишет: 11 май 2019, 10:27 Usually we use jubilant with mood
Do you mean it can't describe people? Because Cambridge online dictionary says:

jubilant - feeling or showing great happiness, usually because of a success
ликующий
jubilant Man United supporters
Irina
Благодарил (а): 129 раз

Сообщение Irina »

QwestDay, to me it sounded a bit odd, yes. I usually saw this one with 'mood'. At the same time if you have some good examples which prove that you can use it to describe people, then why not?)
Eager Beaver
Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Irina пишет: 11 май 2019, 11:51 QwestDay, to me it sounded a bit odd, yes. I usually saw this one with 'mood'. At the same time if you have some good examples which prove that you can use it to describe people, then why not?)
Could you delve into more detail about this “mood” thing? Did you expect the word “mood” to go with jubilant? Or was it just a “temporary quality” (which is exactly where QwestDay’s example falls).
Irina

Сообщение Irina »

Eager Beaver, I believe I've explained everything. The collocation 'jubilant fans' sounded a bit odd to me, but now I see that it does exist (dictionaries prove it) and can be used.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Irina пишет: 11 май 2019, 12:34 Eager Beaver, I believe I've explained everything. The collocation 'jubilant fans' sounded a bit odd to me, but now I see that it does exist (dictionaries prove it) and can be used.
I read the explanation. :) And still felt it was ok to ask. (I may not be that quick on the uptake, sorry.)
Irina

Сообщение Irina »

Eager Beaver, sure) It's absolutely ok to ask.
Zlatko_Berrin
Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

QwestDay пишет: 11 май 2019, 11:263rd part of sonata №14 is my favourite
The same) I learnt the 1st part in my first year at a local school of music (hope this is the right name of such an establishment), but the 3 part is much more difficult... but so beautiful. I would say this part is cosmic.)

A coincidence again)

P. S. Oh, sorry that my messages are inappropriate for the thread)
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Essay
СпойлерПоказать
Write an essay using all the notes and give reasons for your point of view.
Schools should spend more on computers and software than on textbooks. Do you agree?
Notes:
1. which is better for education
2. which are more enjoyable to use
3. .........................(your own idea)
Today computers are so ubiquitous in a range of workplaces that all students should be ready to use them. Do schools have to finance electronic devices at the expense of books?

First of all, there is no doubt that computers are must-have at schools. They help develop analytical and study skills, which is better for education then not using them. On the other hand, there is a variety of software programmes which can be used for free. What is more, nowadays almost every person has their own gadgets, that’s why schools may not spend on computers at all. Modern computers and programmes can be very expensive. Not buying them may help buy any books.

To some extent, computers allow people to get access to any information, which is more enjoyable than to use books, containing fixed information. As a result, some students may use computers for non-educational purposes and distract others. Books cannot be used to access social networks, using them do not impede learning process, that is why schools should spend more on books.

Regarding the information, contained in books, it should be said that it becomes obsolete rapidly. Computers need upgrading too, but may be used much longer than books.

To sum up, in my view, schools should have both books and computers and spend on them amounts of money, which had better depend on particular need of a particular school (233 words, 47 min, typing)
Zlatko_Berrin
Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

What has caught my eye...
(I may be wrong)
QwestDay пишет: 11 май 2019, 21:56better for education then not using
Than.
QwestDay пишет: 11 май 2019, 21:56Books cannot be used to access social networks, using them do not impede learning process, that is why schools should spend more on books.
I would divided this sentence into more than one or rephrase it because the ideas highlighted here aren't logically ordered, if you get what I mean. I would say something like ''Books do not impede (the?) learning process as they cannot be used to access social networks, which is another reason why schools should spend more on books''.
QwestDay пишет: 11 май 2019, 21:56Regarding the information, contained in books, it should be said that it becomes obsolete rapidly. Computers need upgrading too, but may be used much longer than books
This one seems a bit unclear because here you're talking about information in books and then - about computers that need upgrading. Does upgrading computers correlate with information getting obsolete rapidly? I suppose this upgrading implies new versions of software
Oh, wikipedia supposes so too))) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upgrade
By the way, it is becoming, not it becomes, isn't it?)
QwestDay пишет: 11 май 2019, 21:56better depend on particular need of a particular
On a particular need.

I'm also wondering if you should put great emphasis on computers price in the second paragraph where it's about pros and cons of computers and books for education. I would write about their price in a separate paragraph.

The same about the third paragraph. You are talking more about distractions, which are a great example for the second paragraph, than about which (computers or books) are more enjoyable to use and why it is so. Maybe you mean that, because of distractions, computers are less enjoyable to use? I haven't seen that, though.

P. S. Sorry for being that critical)))
За это сообщение автора Zlatko_Berrin поблагодарил:
QwestDay
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Zlatko_Berrin, yes, I want to give more thought to the logic of this particular essay, because writing it was hard to me. (as usual) I didn't have a plan so I wrote information that come up to my mind on the spot.
За это сообщение автора QwestDay поблагодарил:
Zlatko_Berrin
paveltashkinov
Благодарил (а): 318 раз

Сообщение paveltashkinov »

QwestDay,
I've tried to make some revisions of your essay (without delving into its structure).

Today computers are so ubiquitous across workplaces that all students should be prepared to use them. Do schools have to finance electronic devices at the expense of books?

First of all, there is no doubt that computers are a must-have at schools. They help develop analytical and study skills, so instrumental for education.
On the other hand, there is a variety of software programmes which can be used for free. What is more, nowadays almost every person has their own gadgets, that’s why schools may not spend on computers at all. Modern computers and programmes can be very expensive. Not buying them may help buy some books.
To some extent, computers allow people to get access to any information, which is more enjoyable than to use books, containing fixed information. As a result, some students may use computers for non-educational purposes and distract others. Books cannot be used to access social networks, using them do not impede learning process, that is why schools should spend more on books.
It is worth noting that books (or, rather, the information contained therein) becomes obsolete rapidly. Computers need upgrading too, but may be used much longer than books. Unlike books, which contain the limited amount of information, computers enable people to get access to any information. However, it is a mixed blessing. While some students may use computers for study-related purposes, others may use them for non-educational purposes and distract others. Since books offer less distractions than their digital counterparts, their use does not impede the learning process.
On the other hand, not only are books more prone to wear and tear, but the information they contain may also become outdated quite rapidly. Although computers also need to be updated from time to time, they may be used much longer than books.
In my view, schools should strike a balance between spending on books and on computers.

IMHO, Your essay seems to suffer from your lack of planning. It looks like you jotted your thoughts and ideas down without arranging them. The resulting mishmash appears to be rather cluttered and poor-structured. There's nothing to worry about. Been there, done that. Besides, my writing also leaves a lot to be desired.)
That said, it would have been better had you outlined some positive and negative features of books and computers, compared them to each other, and drawn a conclusion. Your writing would definitely benefit from careful planning. It is always wise to spend three-four minutes planning what you are about to write and arranging those ideas. Only after mapping out the approximate structure of your essay should you proceed to write it.
Anyway, I'm definitely not someone to lecture people about their mistakes and oddities in writing (just look at my invariably poor writing attempts!).
За это сообщение автора paveltashkinov поблагодарили (всего 3):
QwestDay, Yety, Zlatko_Berrin
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

paveltashkinov, thank you very much. The funny thing is that I know most collocates and words you wrote and they definitely sound better.
paveltashkinov

QwestDay,
I'd say that it's totally ok to use whatever words you are comfortable with, but only insofar as they are helpful in achieving your objectives (i.e. getting your message across).
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

QwestDay, попробуйте взять tip из toefl и написать topic sentence для каждого абзаца. Например:

[Topic sentence 1 ~ There is no doubt that computers are a must-have at schools.] [here go your reasons and example].
[Introduce your idea about books - I haven't found it clearly expressed; Topic sentence 2 ~ Books, however, are still widely used.][Give some specifics as to why schools aren't quick to drop textbooks altogether]
[Compare and contrast computers and books (1 - computers over books). Topic sentence 3 ~ Computers have a number of obvious advantages over paper books.] [Your reasons and examples: easier access to current information (information in books quickly becomes dated/obsolete); more fun than books (interactive/multimedia experience, more opportunity for exploration and research); durability vs proneness to wear and tear - cost of support, etc.]
[Compare and contrast computers and books (2 - books over computers). Topic sentence 4 ~ However, sometimes it's better to stick to books: computers can be used to waste time on social media/messengers/games, distracting others, not everyone is PC literate -> improper use -> technical glitches - downtime; system administration requires extra effort, etc.]
[Conclusion; probably with concession ~ Although it's good to have computers available in class to boost learning and students' performance, it's too early to discard books, etc.]

You should use the appropriate wording for your topic sentences, of course. The ones above are just to give you some pointers.
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарили (всего 5):
paveltashkinov, QwestDay, Yety, Easy-Breezy English, Zlatko_Berrin
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Essay PC vs textbooks again
СпойлерПоказать
Schools should spend more on computers and software than on textbooks. Do you agree?
Notes:
1. which is better for education
2. which are more enjoyable to use
As computers and modern technologies continue to make their way into the classroom, the question arises as to whether schools need to spend more on computers at the expense of textbooks.

Speaking of textbooks, it should be said that they are well-structured and fact-checked by prominent academics, which is better for education. Computers and software appear to lack structure. In addition, tactile books allow users to make notes and help to retain the information longer and poses no threat to the healths of the readers.

Regarding computers, it is important that they are powerful tools to create and edit videos and make presentations, which is more enjoyable to use in education. Moreover, devices give access to accurate and updated information. Textbooks may contain outdated information. Computers also give access to social networks, which can distract users from educational objectives.

As for the cost of obtaining, computers and modern technologies are much more expensive than textbooks. What is more, today there is a lot of free software, using which may help to spend more on textbooks.

To sum up, I am convinced that computers and textbooks are crucial for education, therefore, schools should be equipped with both and spend on what they are particularly lack.

(204 words, 55 min. c активной подготовкой и перманентным подглядываниемв словарь/Swan's usage)
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Essay "Should we spend on exploring space?"
СпойлерПоказать
Should we spend on exploring space?
Notes:
1. spending priorities
2. what we might discover in space
Although scientists have been exploring space for hundreds of years, there is still enormous room for further explorations. It is needed to be discussed whether spending money on space programmes is justified.

First of all, it is important for every country to bear in mind spending priorities. It is said that addressing global issues such as poverty, pollution and deseases should come first and countries should stop wasting billions of dollars on space exploration. Even so, the amount of money spent on exploring space appears to be diminutive compared to what is spent on the other programmes.

Secondly, it is a key feature of any science that it is not known in advance what we might discover. Of course, such a venture may be unsuccessful, but in my opinion, people need to seize any opportunity to push the boundaries of knowledge of the universe.

Finally, speaking from the historical perspective, when the humanity was exploring space, it boosted some advanced technologies and some useful inventions came out. For example, GPS-technology would not have been developed if some countries had not invested in space exploration.

To sum up, I am convinced that we need to spend on exploring space so that we might have opportunities to improve our lives and lives of future generations. (45 min, 213 words, + словари)
Laana
Благодарил (а): 63 раза

Сообщение Laana »

QwestDay,
QwestDay пишет: 11 май 2019, 21:56 To sum up, in my view, schools should have both books and computers and spend on them amounts of money, which had better depend on particular need of a particular school (233 words, 47 min, typing)
Мой преподаватель говорит, что если в эссе Do you agree?, то свое мнение нужно выразить в первом абзаце после вводного предложения. А в конце дать четкий ответ, а не пытаться привести всё к "мир, дружба, жвачка".
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Laana, интересное мнение. я пока не сталкивался с такими работами. Для меня "конклюжн" это именно итог того что было сказано.
Laana
Благодарил (а): 63 раза

Сообщение Laana »

Для меня тоже, и привычка писать примирительный конец. Но надо доказывать именно свою точку зрения. Структура примерно такая: вступление, свое мнение, 2-3 аргумента, противоположное мнение с 1-2 аргументами, их критика и вывод под девизом: я же был прав (а) :)
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Laana пишет: 19 май 2019, 10:30 вступление, свое мнение, 2-3 аргумента, противоположное мнение с 1-2 аргументами,
Сегодня описал преподавателю эту структуру и получил ответ что это очень похоже на структуру Эссе для ЕГЭ, в то время как для FCE не обязательно.
paveltashkinov

QwestDay,
This one is definitely better. Thumbs up!
A couple of notes, though:

Regarding computers, it is important that they are powerful tools to create and edit videos and make presentations, which is more enjoyable to use in education.
>>Regarding computers, it should be said that they are powerful tools enabling their users to create and edit videos and presentations. Both of these formats enhance the learning experience and render it more enjoyable.

what they are particularly lack.
>> what they lack
За это сообщение автора paveltashkinov поблагодарил:
QwestDay
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

paveltashkinov пишет: 19 май 2019, 17:22 what they lack
постоянная проблема с этими лаками..
paveltashkinov пишет: 19 май 2019, 17:22 >>Regarding computers, it should be said that they are powerful tools enabling their users to create and edit videos and presentations. Both of these formats enhance the learning experience and render it more enjoyable.
That's music to my ears))
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

В обновленном тексте про компьютеры мне совсем не нравится выбор вводных линкеров.
- Speaking of textbooks,
- Regarding computers,
- As for the cost of obtaining,

Первый, мне кажется, не подходит совсем. Вы начинаете с этого разговор, а звучат все три оборота так, как будто вы эти пойнты где-то выше обозначили и теперь раскрываете, что не соответствует действительности.

Не могу точно описать мои ощущения. Призовем [mention]Easy-Breezy English[/mention] на помощь.
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарил:
QwestDay
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

QwestDay пишет: 18 май 2019, 14:12tactile books allow users to make notes
Это же вроде бы книги для blind & visually impaired.
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Eager Beaver, про tactile нужно было передать что их можно пощупать. Не знаю более подходящего.

Speaking of, да, видимо, не лучший вариант для письменной работы а на счёт других не знаю.. Они же были в первом абзаце и названии озвучены, может достаточно.
Ответить