FCE Writing Practice

Подготовка и впечатления от сдачи экзамена. Помощь в разборе письменных работ. выбор и обсуждение необходимых материалов. Cambridge English (CPE, CAE, FCE ect.), IELTS, TOEFL и другие.

Модератор: mikka

Zlatko_Berrin
Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

QwestDay, Mikee, and other FCEers (Yeah, I made it up)!
Welcome to the thread dedicated to FCE Writing!
Let's write together.
I propose choosing one topic per day and write a piece on that one. Each of us in turn could choose a topic for the next day.

Before we start, I'd like to announce (or remind) that in FCE, there are such types of writing in the writing section (according to the handbook for teachers):
Part 1 an essay
Part 2 an article, an informal email or letter, a formal email or letter, a report, a review.
Let's consider the order and if, for instance, today it is an article, then tomorrow it will be an informal email or letter, the day after tomorrow it will be a formal email or letter and so on.

So, what topic do you propose?

Teachers and learners at higher levels, any help would be appreciated!
За это сообщение автора Zlatko_Berrin поблагодарил:
Androbroiler
QwestDay
Благодарил (а): 664 раза

Сообщение QwestDay »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 24 мар 2019, 00:30 one topic per day
I don't think it's possible to write every day (for me), considering I've written only 2 tasks over last 6 months, but I definitely need to write at least once a week. Regardless of my slow progress so far, I'm going to improve my writing in order to take an exam in June, however difficult it would be. Anyway, I will comment whatever posted here, even though I'm a very busy person. Actually, I really need to spend more time working on my English, as opposed to my procrastination.
Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 24 мар 2019, 00:30 what topic
As we all have studied different topics, it might be more beneficial for each of us to focus on areas of vocabulary we need. I propose not to write on one topic, but each of us can choose topic suitable for them, according to the themes studied. ANd of course, we can choose other's themes if we want to.

(in bold are phrases connected to the theme "cause and effect" I wanted to practice)
Zlatko_Berrin

QwestDay пишет: 24 мар 2019, 13:59at least once a week
QwestDay пишет: 24 мар 2019, 13:59beneficial [...] to focus on [...] vocabulary we need
OK, then.

So each of us chooses a topic for him/herself and writes as regularly as possible.
QwestDay
Zlatko_Berrin

I've decided not to put off writing and one essay's been written.

Your teacher has asked you to write your response to the following statement taken from a recent newspaper article:
Is it true that we help the environment when we plant a tree?
Notes:
Write about:
– clear the air
– shade
– ………….( your own idea)

Every day, we face a great deal of issues which we should contend with. One of the most important and widespread is the environmental issue. So, will it be possible to make the environment which we live in better if we grow a tree?

The first thing to highlight is that a tree produces oxygen into the air and consumes carbon dioxide from it. By this process, called photosynthesis by scientists, a tree clear the air so that other inhabitants of the environment (people included) can breathe easier and have less lungs diseases.

Another point to talk about is a shade given by a tree. This trick of the sun light and a tree helps creatures to live comfortably and not always hide in their burrows. Shade-loving plants can also find their shelters under a high-growing tree.

Thirdly, a tree can help soils as its roots prevent them from wind and water erosion – the two main causes of land degradation.

All in all, a tree does an enormous amount of work for the environmental protection, but only in the small area where it is growing. So we should take into consideration the fact that one tree cannot help the world's ecosystem, so cannot we by planting only one tree. So as to really help the environment, we should plant many, many trees.
(221)

It seems a bit raw to me.
Mikee
Благодарил (а): 3 раза

Сообщение Mikee »

As for me, your essay looks really good.
How much time did it take to write it?
За это сообщение автора Mikee поблагодарил:
Zlatko_Berrin
Zlatko_Berrin

Mikee пишет: 24 мар 2019, 17:24How much time did it take to write it?
Well, I've forgotten to time it, but I think, it took less than an hour, at least because I typed it, not wrote.
It also took some time to think how to paraphrase some sentences so that there were some conditionals in the essay, and I came up with only one
Последний раз редактировалось Zlatko_Berrin 24 мар 2019, 17:54, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Mikee
Благодарил (а): 3 раза

Сообщение Mikee »

Anyway, I think you have no reasons to worry about this part of FCE exam.
I wouln't write such essay even in Russian))
Zlatko_Berrin

Mikee пишет: 24 мар 2019, 17:43I wouln't write such essay even in Russian))
I think, you would)

And I still need to learn how to write articles and reviews.
I thought I would write a lot during my preparation, but this hasn't happened so far.
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 24 мар 2019, 15:49 This trick of the sun light
trick? sunlight (don't use a space)

Well, in FCE we have 4 criteria for assessment:
1.content - all content is relevant and the target reader is fully informed.
2. communicative achievement (register, appropriate words) - I don't see any informal or inapropriate words (but I'don't know whether words 'really ' and 'shade-loving' are appropriate in essay, as well as information in '()' )
3. organisation (focuses on the way the words put together, whether it is logical and ordered) -the text is coherent and well organised.
4. language - (focuses on vocabulary and grammar), it looks good, but I don't like
Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 24 мар 2019, 15:49 tree produces oxygen into the air
Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 24 мар 2019, 15:49 can breathe easier
Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 24 мар 2019, 15:49 a tree can help soils
Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 24 мар 2019, 15:49 inhabitants of the environment
Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 24 мар 2019, 15:49 find their shelters
Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 24 мар 2019, 15:49 a tree clear the air
Actually, I'm not an expert to give the professional feedback, maybe your work is flawless and you don't need any improvements.
За это сообщение автора QwestDay поблагодарил:
Zlatko_Berrin
Zlatko_Berrin

QwestDay пишет: 24 мар 2019, 19:01shade-loving
Well, I've checked up on 'shade-loving' and there are a lot of examples with 'shade-loving plants' , although, maybe, 'shade-tolerant' is more formal and appropriate, and I should have used it.
QwestDay пишет: 24 мар 2019, 19:01really
Well, no dictionary shows that it is informal. I think it's just a popular word. Does 'действительно' seems informal to you?)
And I'll think about how to paraphrase those strange-looking from your point of view phrases)

Thank you!
Последний раз редактировалось Zlatko_Berrin 24 мар 2019, 19:20, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Zlatko_Berrin

QwestDay пишет: 24 мар 2019, 19:01trick
trick of the light - игра света
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... ish/really they say 'really is spoken and used for emphasis. We need an expert to clarify whether there is room for emphasis in essay.
Zlatko_Berrin

QwestDay, well, I usually use http://learnersdictionary.com. According to it, really (1) - used to refer to what is true and real.
But yes, an expert's clarification would not be amiss.
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

In your English class you have been talking about life in the past. Now, your English teacher has asked you to write an essay.
‘Life is better today tрan it was 100 years ago.’ Do you agree?
Notes
Write about
1. health
2. entertainment
3. ... your own idea

There is no doubt that life has changed considerably compared to the way it was 100 years ago and now we need to define whether it is better than before.

Taking into consideration health of people living, I should state that today we live much longer than at the beginning of the 20th century. People have invented antibiotics, high-tech methods of analisys, vaccines and made many more improvements which have decreased rates of children deaths and rates of illnesses. Although there are some negative tendencies, such as increasing rates of chronical fatigue and obesity rates, people have found ways to cope with it.

Considering the Internet has become available, people have become happier, because music, movies, shows, concerts etc. are in abundance today. Entertainment industries can please people with most demanding tastes.

As information can be received in any place in the world about any subject, education is more available for any people then ever, which is very useful for people in run-down, remote areas of the world.

To sum up, I could not agree more that life is much better today, because people live longer, we’re happier and have more possibilities for receiving good education.
(41 min, 194 words).
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

random comments re: word usage only ...

- There is no doubt that life has changed considerably compared to the way it was 100 years ago and now we need to define whether it is better than before.
this sentence is a bit too long ->
There is no doubt that life has changed considerably compared to the way it was 100 years ago.
and now we need to define whether it is better than before ??
rephrase that
use determine/evaluate/decide instead of define

- Taking into consideration health of people living --> speaking of people's health
- I should state - > in my opinion/I think/in my view...
- Some made many more improvements which have decreased rates of children deaths and rates of illnesses.
- improvements -> medical advancements/technologies
- rates of children deaths ->child mortality rates
- chronical -> chronic fatigues (syndromes)
- people have found ways to cope with it ... acceptable but better: modern medicine can manage these conditions
- Considering the Internet has become available -> Since/Thanks to the invention of the Internet ...
- are in abundance ->are freely available
- can please people with - is capable of satisfying the most demanding tastes/viewer/consumer
- people in run-down, remote areas of the world -> people living in remote/hard-to-reach places
(they don't have to be run-down)
- I could not agree more = I'm totally agree, so better say something like: I'm convinced that ..
- more possibilities -> more opportunities
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
QwestDay
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Задание №2 (когда написал, - задумался о том что в задании просят рассказать про "city", а описывается по сути small town с негородскими активностями).

Articles wanted
A day in the city!

We are looking for articles about how a visitor could have a great time in a city in your country in just one day. Write us an article telling us what a visitor can do, what they can see and how they can travel around.

Can you guess which word means both a town and a piece of clothes? If you said balaclava, which was named after a small town on the Crimean peninsula during the Crimean war, you’re correct. I’ve been there many times and it’s worth visiting.

First of all, Balaclava isn’t big so one day would be enough to see most exciting sights. You can go to a museum of submarines, which is located in the previously secret place beneath a mountain. The submarine dock was built during the Cold war and now fascinates thousands of people. Another historical sight is the Genoese fortress from which you can get picturesque views.

If you’re not keen on history, you can just go fishing, camping or swimming. I do recommend you to go hiking to the mountains nearby, because you would get a chance of coming across some rare plants. You would also breathe fresh air which is really nice.

The best way of getting around is to travel by yacht, which may cost you a fortune, so you’d better travel by boat.

Personally, I don’t know any person who has been to Balaclava at least once and doesn’t love it. It’s a town which will stick in your memory for ever.

(38 min, 208 words)
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

1. Film reviews wanted
Which film have you seen in which something totally unexpected happened? Write a review of the film, describing what happened and why it was so unexpected. Say whether you think other people would enjoy watching the film, too.
The best reviews will appear on our website.

Where is she?

Once I watched film “Gone girl” with Ben Affleck as a leading actor and I would never forget its plot. It’s a story which sticks to your memory for ever, because it’s unpredictable and eerie at some points.

The film starts with the main character’s wife, as you must have guessed, disappearance. The police found traces of her blood in their house and, expectably, her husband is the only one to blame and soon he is put under arrest. What confounded me, is that when he was on the verge of being found guilty of a murder, it turned out that his wife is safe and sound at a resort and she waits when her unfaithful husband would be executed. How he would manage this situation, you can find out if you watch film “Gone girl”.

This film is full of twists and turns and would be a godsend to those who is interested in psychology and relationship within a couple. I’m sure fans of spectacular acting, chilling suspense and gripping storylines would be satisfyed too, as you can find all it in this film.

It seems to me that this film could be the epitome of unpredictable nature of relationship between married people. Personally, I love it and I would recommend it to everyone.

(42 min, 218 words, typing)
Белая Мишка
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

2. Articles wanted for publication
Write about a person who is popular or famous in your country. We will publish the best articles in next month’s magazine.

Who makes our lives happier.

Unfortunately, there are so many depressing things happen every day around. What makes me feel better and makes up for all the disappointing events is music written and sung by Semen Slepakov.

A former captain of a team participating in broadly renowned comedy competition called KVN, he has created so many memorable gigs and songs. Being extremely prolific, he also was a co-creator of a few popular serials, such as Interns and Under a home arrest, which were highly praised by both critics and the audience. His punchy, socially-oriented songs are his hallmark and set the bar high for other songwriters.

Can you imagine the world without humor? No? Personally, I can’t imagine my life without eloquent lyrics of Semen Slepakov’s songs. He is an outspoken critic of unfairness and impunity in my country. You need to be brave enough to say that and it makes Semen Clepakov a real hero for me.

Even if you don’t know Russian language and you are not familiar with the modern Russia reality, you would find amusing Semen Slepakov’s songs as their music is awesome. By the way, be careful! If you listened to his songs and consequently liked them, you may want to learn Russian language, which is a real challenge.

(40 min, 209 words, typing)
Белая Мишка
paveltashkinov
Благодарил (а): 318 раз

Сообщение paveltashkinov »

the main character's wife's disappearance would sound better, I guess)
Check articles and commas.
It may be better to rephrase some lengthy sentences.

What confounded me, is that when he was on the verge of being found guilty of a murder, it turned out that his wife is safe and sound at a resort and she waits when her unfaithful husband would be executed.

You'd better split it into several shorter sentences.
There are lots of episodes that have confounded me. For instance, when the main character was about to face charges, it turned out that his wife was safe and sound at a resort, waiting for her husband to be executed.

Been there, done that.) It's totally okay for you to want to show off your rich vocabulary and a good use of collocations. However, use these features judiciously, otherwise the effect will be diametrically opposite. Try to strike a balance between lengthy and short sentences, use linking words, and wisely weave some advanced vocabulary into your texts.
За это сообщение автора paveltashkinov поблагодарил:
QwestDay
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

1)Reviews of holiday resorts wanted
СпойлерПоказать
Write a review of a holiday resort you have stayed at. Describe the resort, saying what you enjoyed and did not enjoy about your stay there. Tell us whether you would recommend the resort to other people.
We will publish the most interesting reviews in next month’s edition
Write your review.
Balaklava, what a town!
Last summer I spent a weekend in Balaklava, a small town in the South of Crimea. It was the best holiday I’ve ever had.

That time I stayed in a youth hostel which was cheap and cosy. It is located about 100 metres from the central town’s beach. Though that beach is small and inconvenient because of yachts sailing close to the people, in the morning I would go by boat to another spacious beach, where the water is crystal-clean and you can breathe fresh air.

What I love about Balaklava is its compactness. The attractions are close to each other. After going to the seaside I went to the Genoese fortress to get the fabulous view. After that I visited a museum of submarines. The exhibits were great, but as it is built beneath a hill, it was cold in there and I didn’t have warm clothes. In the evening I went to open-air music festival ‘ZB-fest’ with people I got acquainted in my hostel. The bands performed their songs in unparalleled way, which made for uplifted feelings of their jubilant fans.

Balaklava is one of the most beautiful places in my country and if you’ve never been there, I would strongly recommend it to you. (42 min, 206 words)

2)The person from history I most admire (article)
СпойлерПоказать
Who is the person from history that you most admire?
What did they do? What do you particularly admire about them?
write your article
Music to my ears!
What can make you feel better at once? If you had a hard day, what would change your mood and make up for the hardship? For me it’s music, and the composer I admire most is Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

Born in Austria more than 200 years ago, Mozart is one of the most talanted musicians in history. By the age of 7, he not only had written his first compositions, but also, had become a popular performer. Thanks to his father, Mozart went on tours from yearly age, which allowed him to earn a decent living so that he could commit to composing later.

Wolfgan Mozart is an author of countless compositions for many musical instruments and choirs. He is still highly renowned. Although Mozart died many years ago, his music is still popular and can be heard in serials and films. Even modern rock-groups sometimes use pieces of his music. For me, Mozart’s music is tuneful, mellow and unforgettable. It has never been surpassed.

Wolfgang Mozart was a gifted composer and we should be grateful (well, OK, it's cheesy, but what else it could be?..-QD) that we can still listen to his music. (40 min, 181 words).
За это сообщение автора QwestDay поблагодарили (всего 2):
Zlatko_Berrin, Белая Мишка
Zlatko_Berrin

QwestDay,
I'm not a person who can help you with your writings (due to my level which is objectively lower than yours), but do you really like Mozart's music?)
My favorite composer is definitely J. S. Bach, however I do like Mozart's compositions.)
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Zlatko_Berrin, yeah, they're both great. And Beethoven too. As well as Srtravinsky and others. Mozart's Requiem is unsurpassed (for choir music lovers like me) and some of his sonata's are great.
Irina
Благодарил (а): 129 раз

Сообщение Irina »

Hi there!
It's wonderful that you try and write so often.
I'd like to draw your attention to a few moments:

1. I would suggest changing this topic sentence: That time I stayed in a youth hostel which was cheap and cosy.
In this body you talk about beaches most of the time, but for some reason you speak about the youth hotel in the first sentence.

2. What I love about Balaklava is its compactness. The attractions are close to each other. I believe you need to join these two. For example: What I love about Balaklava is its compactness, which means that the attractions are close to each other.

3. Articles.
because of yachts sailing close to the people
I went to open-air music festival ‘ZB-fest’ with people I got acquainted in my hostel

4. Tense
In the evening I went to open-air music festival ‘ZB-fest’ with people I got acquainted in my hostel.

5. Collocation

of their jubilant fans.
Usually we use jubilant with mood

Overall, I wouldn't say you have any serious problems. I believe your writings are definitely the writings of a strong FCE candidate.
Последний раз редактировалось Irina 11 май 2019, 10:40, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
За это сообщение автора Irina поблагодарил:
QwestDay
Zlatko_Berrin

QwestDay пишет: 11 май 2019, 09:49choir music
Wow, I love choir music too so much and I've listened to the Requiem many times, but for me, a baroque style lover, I like Bach's passions, his mass in h-moll and numerous cantatas. I also like Handel, but I prefer Bach because of his complicated structure of his works.
Recently, I've found another prolific baroque composer, Jan Dismas Zelenka. He wrote a lot of masses and one or several requiems, you may like them too.
Sometimes, I listen to Beethoven; 'g g g eflat' is hard not to remember)
As for Stravinsky, I can't understand such music. It's just... ordered chaos of notes to my ear, I can't find any logic in there.
I may seem old-fashioned, but my favorable music styles are the baroque style and the classical one (but I like the first one much more))
Pleased to meet one more classical (in a general understanding (if there is such a saying))) music lover)
QwestDay
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 11 май 2019, 10:31Handel
His compositions were the first that drew my attention to classical music and choir music in particular.
Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 11 май 2019, 10:31 Beethoven
sonatas №8, 17 are perfect and 3rd part of sonata №14 is my favourite

As for choir music, I also love Lesya Dychko's music, Pikkardiyska Tertsiya and recently I found a group The Fisherman's Friends which performs sea shanties in (maybe old) English.
Zlatko_Berrin
Ответить