New words you find interesting, useful, etc. )

Словарный состав языка, выбор лексических единиц, как учить и запоминать новые слова, тесты и задания на знание лексики, специальная лексика, словари и другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Егор
Благодарил (а): 37 раз

Сообщение Егор »

The Silver Tsunami
СпойлерПоказать
Изображение
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silver_Tsunami

Super-ager or superager – человек старше 65 лет с умственными способностями и жизненными силами как у молодых людей в возрасте 25-ти лет.
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Харбин Хэйлунцзян,
I did know these two, but 'in high dudgeon' is a new one.
Rapunzel in a high dungeon is in high dudgeon :)
someone
Благодарил (а): 65 раз

Сообщение someone »

Ничего нового и интересного по отдельности , но все вместе и повод дали эффект my little magic dust! Это то же, что и pumpkin, о боже...
За это сообщение автора someone поблагодарил:
Егор
Егор

Сообщение Егор »

someone пишет: 27 мар 2020, 08:26 Ничего нового и интересного по отдельности , но все вместе и повод дали эффект my little magic dust! Это то же, что и pumpkin, о боже...
СпойлерПоказать
Is that from Instagram? I always feel weirdly surprised when I see photos like that. It's been such a long time since the Instagram has been taken over by duckfacers, so these days it's kind of unusual or even unnatural to see normal people's faces up there.

"My little magic dust" – I don't get it. Is that an endearment? Really? Sounds more like an advertising slogan for makeup:) or some trippy drug addict "Gollum-esque-ly" talking to his precious drugs:)

My word of the day is "quince" – айва.
I've planted this guy today and I realized I never knew it was called "quince" in English.
someone
Благодарил (а): 65 раз

Сообщение someone »

Егор, это внучка Е2, ей нельзя дакфейс.
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Егор пишет: 27 мар 2020, 20:03 "My little magic dust" – I don't get it. Is that an endearment? Really? Sounds more like an advertising slogan for makeup:) or some trippy drug addict "Gollum-esque-ly" talking to his precious drugs:)
Maybe because she looks a bit like Cinderella in this photo? Or maybe it's her personality type?
Егор

Сообщение Егор »

someone пишет: 27 мар 2020, 20:25 Егор, это внучка Е2, ей нельзя дакфейс.
And thanks god for that:) I kind of wish she had Scouse brows though:)
Juliemiracle пишет:Maybe because she looks a bit like Cinderella in this photo? Or maybe it's her personality type?
No no no. I didn't mean the woman. All I said was the phrase "my little magic dust" sounded like a makeup commercial. The phrase. I wasn't takling about the woman at all:)
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3371 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Егор пишет: 27 мар 2020, 20:03 Is that an endearment? Really?
Judging by the comment, it seems like that's Sarah's personal thing:
“My favourite photograph just for her mum on her wedding day .. and my little girl is 30 today and Happy Birthday my little magic dust,” the proud mom captioned the post. “My little magic dust” is quite the nickname.
And another term from the comment above:
What is a throwback picture?
A picture that was taken prior to the day that it was published. Sometimes a throwback picture is used to reference older mementos. Other times, it is used to reference something that may have happened yesterday.
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
Егор
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Егор пишет: 27 мар 2020, 20:56 No no no. I didn't mean the woman. All I said was the phrase "my little magic dust" sounded like a makeup commercial. The phrase. I wasn't takling about the woman at all:)
I don't quite understand your energetic negations. I was just speculating about the origins of the nickname and why it might not be so weird as it seems at first glance.
Егор

Сообщение Егор »

Juliemiracle пишет: 27 мар 2020, 21:43 I was just speculating about the origins of the nickname
I'm sorry, it wasn't clear you were. You quoted me talking about makeup and a drug addict and asked if someone I wasn't talking about looked like Cinderella, it just avoided making any sense to me:) okay nevermind, just forget I posted in this thread:)
gavenkoa
Благодарил (а): 3100 раз

Сообщение gavenkoa »

remorse - a feeling of deep regret, from song:
Buy now, buy now, have a better life
Close out transactions without remorse
Apply for credit, it's your given right
Buy it all then buy some more
Роман Молти
Благодарил (а): 301 раз

Сообщение Роман Молти »

Два часа назад в моих подписках
За это сообщение автора Роман Молти поблагодарил:
gavenkoa
Егор

Сообщение Егор »

Роман Молти пишет: 31 мар 2020, 22:55 Два часа назад в моих подписках
СпойлерПоказать
That man has no teeth and yet his "th's" are perfect. What gives??
So much for the importance of having teeth to pull off English interdental sounds...
За это сообщение автора Егор поблагодарил:
gavenkoa
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Егор пишет: 02 апр 2020, 14:06 That man has no teeth and yet his "th's" are perfect. What gives??
I cracked my front teeth at time I started intensive practice of English phonetics. It really hurt quality of training sessions.

I appreciate your finding and re-watched video again with respect to new knowledge. Thx!
Последний раз редактировалось gavenkoa 02 апр 2020, 15:20, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
Причина: fixed
За это сообщение автора gavenkoa поблагодарил:
Егор
Егор

Сообщение Егор »

gavenkoa пишет: 02 апр 2020, 15:19 I cracked my front teeth at time I started intensive practice of English phonetics.
Sorry to hear that, it must've hurt like hell.
I know that's probably none of my business, but the phonetics tutor you hired is an aggressive morbid psycho and should be reported to police.
No one gets hurt learning English these days, no one.
gavenkoa пишет: 02 апр 2020, 15:19 with respect to new knowledge
Okay, now I'm scared. Please don't tell me you're going to the dentist to pull out the rest of your teeth, because the man on the video has none and his pronunciation is impeccable. Please don't! I don't wanna live my life and be haunted by the idea that there's some guy out there, who ended up with no teeth because of my stupid comment on the internet.

Oh god, now I'm filled with REMORSE - just like in that old man's video. Is that how freaking karma works?

Okay, i'm only kidding, I'm just a bored bored bored dork who has no sh!t else to do at the moment:))
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Егор,
Егор пишет: 02 апр 2020, 18:46 Oh god, now I'm filled with REMORSE
This made me recall the context I first met it in to never forget as long as I live)))
https://songs-tube.net/11102-Jesus%20Ch ... Death.html (0.38)
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарили (всего 2):
Егор, gavenkoa
Егор

Сообщение Егор »

VictorB пишет: 02 апр 2020, 21:27 This made me recall the context I first met it in to never forget as long as I live)))
https://songs-tube.net/11102-Jesus%20Ch ... Death.html (0.38)
Oh at first that video looked funny but things turned out really ugly in the end. It's horrible! You know I really hate to come off as rude or disrespectful, but when it comes to memorizing new words, your method - it really should be in the top five of super worst and spookiest methods ever, because seriously - the words you memorize this way – you don't remember them, no, they effing HAUNT you! It's just too freaky for me, sorry:))

However… if you use something happier and less suicidal or death-oriented, this can actually work:)) I think I can even relate to your experience but in a tad more positive way, because I just remembered how I learned the word "snorkel". I was watching "Scrubs" the tv series (oh my god, it was such a long ass time ago) and there was this song going like - "la la la Mr.Moon who put on his swim trunks and snorkel", and that's how I remembered it:) So now whenever the word "snorkel" gets mentioned, this little annoying song invariably pops up in my head and drives me nuts.
СпойлерПоказать
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Егор пишет: 03 апр 2020, 00:10 your method - it really should be in the top five of super worst and spookiest methods ever
Hey, did I say it was my freaking method?
You get new words from somewhere, don't you? And I only mentioned the context where I first met that particular one. What gives? For example, the Beatles' Walrus song was the one in which I first heard how that northern marine mammal is called in English. So what? Where's the method you've picked apart?
As for the meaning of "snorkel", I could name the source from which I got its other meaning too, but I'm afraid you wouldn't approve of it as "a method" either, be it "mine" or someone else's, let alone the source I got it from, still less the context:-)
Re the rock opera I gave the link to, believe it or not, but if I hadn't happened to listen to it as a teen, I fear I may not have ever fallen in love with the English language. That is, my interest in it at the very start of learning was in a very close connection with the interest in rock music.
P.S. Btw, are you sure we're not flooding the thread? Maybe it would be better if we PMed each other once in a while?
Егор

Сообщение Егор »

VictorB пишет: 03 апр 2020, 02:33 I'm afraid you wouldn't approve of it
Hey don't get all judgemental on me! What do you mean "I wouldn't approve"? You don't know me - my standards may be very very low lol
VictorB пишет: 03 апр 2020, 02:33 Btw, are you sure we're not flooding the thread? Maybe it would be better if we PMed each other once in a while?
Yeah I think moderators are nervously smoking and pacing their moderators' room at the moment, and they're so ready to jump in and go "Edward Freaking Scissorhands" on what we have written here:))

It's funny, I don't know why but I have always imagined moderators as these creepy Edwards Scissorhands – just imagine they suddenly show up with their hands crammed full of crazy moderator scissor blades, like these super freaky creepy ninjas, everyone screams in horror and runs, and they just go chop-chop-chop on everything and everything is gone. So creepy.

Anyway, to hell with them, it's their job - they can go and delete whatever they please - it's not like anything we write in here is super important or philosophically deep or priceless. Not a big deal for me:))

PMs? Well, I'm not really much fun to be around, but yeah you can PM me if you want to.
=================

Okay I'm seriously done hijacking this thread.
My apologies for any discomfort I may have caused!
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Егор пишет: 03 апр 2020, 11:45 Okay I'm seriously done hijacking this thread.
Can anyone explain grammar behind this? Why Passive Voice? Isn't it just a typo in "I'm" that should be "I've"?
Последний раз редактировалось gavenkoa 03 апр 2020, 15:43, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Причина: fixed
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

VictorB пишет: 02 апр 2020, 21:27 This made me recall the context I first met it
Didn't know that there is a film. However every successful Broadway Show ends with a film... Tnx!
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

gavenkoa,
gavenkoa пишет: 03 апр 2020, 15:46 Didn't know that there is a film. H
There are two versions of it: the classic one with Jan Gillan from Deep Purple singing for Ted Neeley (Jesus) was filmed in 1973 and the one "linked" in my comment - in 2000, the so-called Millenium version. Here's a link to one of the themes performed by Ian Gillan

and to the one which you'll listen to and understand why in my teens I got crazy about English, the language of that musical.

It might have been the matter of my personal taste for music at that time, though))
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
gavenkoa
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3371 раз

Сообщение Yety »

gavenkoa пишет: 03 апр 2020, 15:43
Okay I'm seriously done hijacking this thread.
Can anyone explain the grammar behind this?
Juliemiracle (Поделитесь, как Вы перевели очных учеников в скайп)
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
gavenkoa
Егор

Сообщение Егор »

gavenkoa пишет: 03 апр 2020, 15:43 Can anyone explain grammar behind this? Why Passive Voice? Isn't it just a typo in "I'm" that should be "I've"?
It has nothing to do with Passive Voice or Present Perfect, because "done" is not a verb in that sentence (it's not the past participle of "do") . DONE it's just an ADJECTIVE, that's why -- I'm + adjective and not I've + adjective.

I know it's pretty confusing but you can find that information in any English dictionary, just look up – done adj. (not "done as the past participle of do"). You should also remember that it's no comparable adjective and it also cannot be used as an attribute before nouns. Hope this helped:))
За это сообщение автора Егор поблагодарил:
gavenkoa
Ответить