Nile

Все о международных экзаменах для получения или подтверждения преподавательской квалификации. TKT, DELTA, CELTA, TESOL и др.

Модератор: mikka

Irregardless
Благодарил (а): 583 раза

Сообщение Irregardless »

После того, как из двух магистратур мне пришлось выбрать одну, Norwich буквально сокрушил меня письмами с просьбой все-таки выбрать их, а не hse, и я решила выбрать этот курс https://www.nile-elt.com/courses/course/19/ , 8-недельный курс , а магистратуру в Norwich отложить
то время, когда я выпущусь из hse. Курс стартует в сентябре и продлится по ноябрь. Посвящён мотивации и inspiring students.В настоящее время жду invoice, чтоб его оплатить. Курс проходит полностью онлайн, но есть вариант посещать занятия оффлайн. Кто-нибудь со мной?
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

Irregardless пишет: 02 фев 2019, 08:49 Кто-нибудь со мной?
А цель какая? Чтобы труба дымела?
Irregardless

Сообщение Irregardless »

Michelangelo, у Нориджа такая сильная маркетинговая кампания. Я даже не знаю, стоит ли платить за этот курс. Может оплачу (деньги-то не малые), а выгоды никакой?
Вот сколько всего у меня на почте скопилось:
СпойлерПоказать
Dear Olga,

Could you just get back to me about the MAPDLE – do you wish me to withdraw you at this stage?

With many thanks,

Alison
Hi Olga,

I am one of the course tutors for the Language Teaching Methodology online course that you are currently enrolled on as part of your MAPDLE programme. I’ve seen that you are yet to log in to the course, so I am emailing just to check that you are ok. Please let myself and the other course tutors (copied in to this message) know how you are getting on with the course. You will need to complete the orientation and first unit by the end of Wednesday this week (23 January).

If you have any questions or concerns please let us know.

Regards,

Jason

Dr. Jason Skeet

MAPDLE Programme Leader

NILE Senior Trainer and Project Manager

Dear Olga,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I am surprised to hear that you have not accessed the course, as we sent you all the information needed to begin the module. If there was any doubt about you doing it we really needed to know before now. Whilst we cannot reduce the module fee we can sort out instalments for the payment if you need this, but we need you to suggest as soon as possible what instalments you can manage. We also will need you to log onto the course and start catching up with the work.

If you have decided not to go ahead with the MAPDLE please also let me know so that I can withdraw you and let Chichester know. You would be welcome to take other online courses with us if that suited your training needs better.

I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Best wishes,

Alison

Dear Olga,

I hope that your course has begun well. Forgive me, but I cannot find a record that you have made payment for the module – could you email me about this as soon as possible?

With thanks and best wishes,

Alison

Sent: 29 October 2018 12:45
To: '[email protected]'
Cc: NILE Registrar
Subject: Invoice for your MA module 2019

Dear Olga,

I hope you are well. You now have access to the Professional and Academic Writing Refresher (PAWR) and Classroom Investigation modules on the NILE online platform, as well as the MAPDLE resource centre and the NILE eLibrary. You will have access to the MALTM module from Monday 14th January when the course begins.

You will receive an automated e-mail today from [email protected] asking you to follow a link and set up a password for your new account. Please do not create an account before you receive that email. It may go into your junk mail so if you have not received it by this afternoon, please check there before contacting me. (Please note this link will expire after 72 hours, so do be sure to activate it before then.) Once you have used this link, it will be deactivated and cannot be used again, so please do delete the automated email after you have used it!

I will be back in touch the week before the course begins with all the information you’ll need to get started, but do of course let me know in the meantime if you have any questions.

Best wishes,

Erin

Dear Olga,

I am pleased to say that we have already heard from both your referees so I will be able to send your application to our university partner for final approval in the early autumn, ready for you to start the core module in January.

Best wishes,

Alison

Erin Lake

Assistant Registrar
И это еще не все. Все копировать не умещается сюда.

Думаете, МАРКЕТИНГ???
Последний раз редактировалось Aksamitka 04 фев 2019, 22:49, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Причина: Отредактирован оверквоттинг
Irregardless

Сообщение Irregardless »

Вот еще:
СпойлерПоказать
Do not reply to this email
[email protected]
25 янв в 20:03
:
[email protected]
Язык письма — английский. Перевести на русский?
This is your daily digest of new posts from the NILE forums. To change your default forum email preferences, go to your user profile.

MA LTM - Starting 14 Jan 2019 -> Forums -> 2.2 Activity Home -> Reflection on my experience

Picture of Sofía Amorortu
Reflection on my experience
by Sofía Amorortu - Friday, 25 January 2019, 9:38 AM

I've worked both with young learners (mostly from the age of 6 up to 17, teenagers) and adults. Furthermore, my daughter is 2 years old, so I can watch her stages and development day after day.

Regarding Piaget's ideas, I was not aware of the criticisms he received (makes sense, all theories need revision after a few decades). I have never thought that his theory of development underestimated children, but we, as teachers, should be aware of those stages before pushing them 'too far': they might just not be there yet.

I've always included physical tasks when working with young learners, as they learnt not only through the interaction with others but with the objects as well: we've always learnt prepositions by instructing one another to pick up toys or things and place them somewhere else (on a chair, under a table, etc.).
Even though Piaget seems to focus more on the development of motor skills, language can also be constructed through the interaction with objects: colours, shapes, tactile descriptions, the weather, and many more, need to be 'felt' in order to be assimilated.
I believe we all go through some 'trial-error' of contrastive hypothesis in our mind before being able to accommodate and assimilate a new concept.

I believe Vygotsky’s approach is the core to our practice and beliefs. I’ve seen the boost in my daughter’s vocabulary since the first day she started the nursery: interaction there was much more meaningful than at home, even when we were playing. Commands such as: ‘no’, ‘stop’ and ‘mine’ are now her regular repertoire. It is the law of the jungle there:-)

I can always spot the ZPD in my students. I usually develop some sort of code, so as not to stop them while they’re talking, but to help them self-correct themselves when a mistake is recurrent (the omission of the ‘it’ pronoun for Spanish native speakers or the use of reflexives in Spanish learners are good examples). I point out at something (at myself, in the case of reflexives in Spanish). Ss immediately correct themselves and keep talking, they are aware of the code. Eventually they start correcting themselves without any intervention from my side and finally they stop making those mistakes whatsoever. Scaffolding has helped them acquire a new lexical item or structure.

Bruner’s concept is the base of our practice. It’s basically what we do.
In the case of children, routines and repetition help them acquire new forms.
I think something similar happens with adults, we provide support recurrently on certain items/ structures until they can construct their utterances entirely by themselves. There is always some repetition involved, even in a more subtle or covert way.

Looking forward to reading your reflections on these topics!

Sofia

See this post in contextDo not reply to this email
[email protected]
26 янв в 20:02
:
[email protected]
Язык письма — английский. Перевести на русский?
This is your daily digest of new posts from the NILE forums. To change your default forum email preferences, go to your user profile.

MA LTM - Starting 14 Jan 2019 -> Forums -> 2.2 Activity Home -> How Piaget, Vygotsky and Bruner's writings relate to learners

Picture of Marlene Franchesca Azócar Covarruvias
How Piaget, Vygotsky and Bruner's writings relate to learners
by Marlene Franchesca Azócar Covarruvias - Friday, 25 January 2019, 10:16 PM

Undoubtedly the three views of learning provide a framework to language learning.

Piaget’s view on cognitive growth considers learning as a self-constructed meaning that is developed by self-action taking as a response to a problem-solving need. In language learning development, I can point to a set of behaviours that relies on the processes of assimilation and accommodation.

For example, when learning grammar, students receive a set of rules for sentence formation such as S+V+O/C. They assimilate the sentence example “I live nearby”. Then, they can accommodate the sentence pattern and restructure it to create new ideas, “I study nearby”, I study English”.

In my experience teaching adults, it is much easier for them to receive already made phrases or chunks to express a specific idea, then they reuse the phrases or chunks in different situations by giving them use in a different context.

In this restructure or reuse adventure is when Vygotsky’s ideas of learning as a sociocultural construction take place. He distinguished that a more-skilled guidance and mediation helps to better achieve that cognitive growth. From what I think, rather than a self-actively constructed learning language process, it is the more-skilled social interaction process that challenges learners to get to the next step, that is going from the reliance on guidance to the internalization of this learning and consequently the action.

Using the same example I mentioned before in the sentence formation, it is the teacher who guides learners to go further. Teachers through observation of learners’ ZPD have the basis to the next step in learning.

It could be simple by showing students that they can also change the subject and say “You study English”, or change the tense, or go from an affirmative to a negative sentence, “You don’t live nearby”.

By identifying learners ZPD teachers can have an idea of the kind of tasks learners need to perform in order to achieve the next step in language learning. For Bruner this set of tasks, scaffolding activities, needs to be adapted to the learners’ progress level. This adaptation of the tasks does not necessarily mean a complete change in the class structure but adjusting roles giving space for making progress in language learning.

I think that most of teachers follow the same basic class format, not in the same order I present it because that relies on the teacher’s style:

Presenting the task
Providing examples
Repeating examples with the students help to complete them
Presenting other different forms of the task
Inviting students to perform the task on their own
Guiding and supporting the students
Inviting students to demonstrate the task.
The way teachers adjust tasks will always rely on the learners’ ZPD. For some students, it could be more difficult to perform a task without a set of repeated practice than for others.

See this post in context
Everyone is subscribed to this forum Change your forum digest preferences
MA LTM - Starting 14 Jan 2019 -> Forums -> 2.2 Activity Home -> 2.2 task 1: Piaget; Vygotsky; Bruner

Re: 2.2 task 1: Piaget; Vygotsky; Bruner
by Marlene Franchesca Azócar Covarruvias - Friday, 25 January 2019, 10:20 PM

Jason,

Very interesting examples on PVB's theories. Regarding your own experience in teaching I’d like to discuss some questions I'm thinking on them.

Do you think Piaget's ideas of assimilation and accommodation are closer to more independent student learning style?

Is it that, somehow, Vygotsky and Bruner thought or idealized the role of a teacher as a necessary mediator in learning and that in a way significant learning may not occur without him?

How does learning online nowadays fit into those three theories? How does this scaffolding, temporary assistance, work with these new trends in teaching delivery?

I’m just thinking on these questions, by no means I have the correct answer.

Show parent | Reply
See this post in context
MA LTM - Starting 14 Jan 2019 -> Forums -> 2.5 Activity Home -> Nicholas, I'll agree with you in 20 more years on the teaching changing idea.

Nicholas, I'll agree with you in 20 more years on the teaching changing idea.
by Marlene Franchesca Azócar Covarruvias - Saturday, 26 January 2019, 1:17 AM

Dear Nicholas,

I totally agree with the idea that language teaching has changed. And this has happened due to the active interest in developing new trends to achieve language learning.

You have mentioned some of the tasks you were asked to perform as a language learner, and I consider them a useful and a valid tool for training. But this training is only for LOT skills (lower order thinking). A dictation can be useful to train the knowing skill of listing, remembering things.

Today, teachers consider that language learning to be successful must satisfy the learner needs, develop learner’s potential, and work as a tool to think and built their own language.

Our learners are challenging different times, and teachers need to update their knowledge and awareness on the process language learning involves. In a very personal opinion, in the past it was the student who had to adapt her/himself to the class and the teacher. Now, it is the class to be adapted and the teacher to be a mediator.

Nicholas, I had the same experience as you when trying to learn a second language. I was instructed to do dictations, chant verb forms, memorize dialogs and so on. But there is no more significant language learning than the social interaction, in the target language, that I could get in the late years of secondary school.

From my experience as a second language learner, I learnt that language learning is in deed an event that occurs with social interaction. In your words, this osmosis you mentioned is not defined as an unconscious assimilation of ideas. On the contrary, this osmosis is conscious thinking to achieve language learning development using that language in meaningful interactions.

In a current language teaching scenario, there is less to speak and more to talk, understanding the action of speaking as merely pronounce words and the action of talking as interacting in a social context. With this, I mean that TALK has become an essential momentum within the classroom and the main role of the teacher. Teacher provides guidance by asking questions, generating collaborative talk, providing space for learning to occur, and avoiding mistakes in presenting tasks way above or under the learner’s potential level of development known as Vygotsky’s theory of Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD).

All what I have said support the idea that second language learning occurs very similar to the way we learn our first language. At an early stage of learning development, it responds to a cognitive and biological need where there is a lot of identification of sounds and words, repetition, naming and listing, but then we need to move forward. The next stage in learning development is to respond to a language and thinking where analysing, evaluating and creating takes place.

It is the teacher’s responsibility to find the perfect role balance between support and challenge students. This approach of going from the easier to the harder, slowly going from the theory to the practice is what a teacher must accomplish through observation of a class group. The teacher identifies learners’ ZPD and through effectively scaffolding – tailoring tasks providing support in interaction - achieve the class task goal.

Undoubtedly, the more we know on language learning and how this occurs the more different will be the teaching of language. So, Nicholas, be prepared for an even more different future.

Regards,

Marlene

See this post in context
MA LTM - Starting 14 Jan 2019 -> Forums -> 2.2 Activity Home -> Achieving outcomes with PVB

Peter Weir
Achieving outcomes with PVB
by Philip Weir - Saturday, 26 January 2019, 2:19 PM

We can look at all three and how they can be used to achieve learning outcomes in a lesson.

Imagine we ask a class of low level learners to discuss things they have done in their life. They may use the past simple to express this. Students may realise they need to restructure and use the Present Perfect to express life experiences. However, Piaget's view would not be enough for the whole class to pick up on this naturally. We cannot guarantee the outcomes will be achieved with this alone.

They would need further instruction or interaction as Vygotsky's view. The teacher can mediate and take their past simple structures and instruct the learners to use the present perfect to express life experiences with Present Perfect. By instruction, they can use the present perfect though we cannot say how confident they will be with it when not being monitored by a teacher. Hence the learning outcome may not be achieved.

However, I would agree most with Bruner's view a parent or teacher needs more involvement and that we need to scaffold their learning. We need to activate schemata, break an outcome down and simpliy it, monitor their learning, provide other examples, model, praise and control frustration. It's essentially an ELT class.

Students also need to develop routines to further build on their language to go from:

I went to Machu Pichu

to

I've been to Machu

to

I've been to the amazing Machu Pichu where I had a glorious time.

They need to become more secure in the basic structures first before moving on to more complicated ones. As teachers we need to be constantly assessing a students ability to forms such structures and change outcomes so they can produce more complex structures and even develop their own ways of noticing language structures outside the classroom.

See this post in context
Последний раз редактировалось Aksamitka 04 фев 2019, 22:50, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Причина: Отредактирован оверквоттинг
Ответить