Well, well, well ...and mine, too!

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

mustang
Благодарил (а): 926 раз

Сообщение mustang »

tourist пишет: 30 авг 2018, 16:52 Hope your post won't discourage alanta from participating in our little correct-my-English game )
I think Alanta is making a big mistake writing on russian speaking forums. Unfortunately , even the best of us cannot hold a candle to educated native speakers (perhaps you are a rare exception to this rule, judging by your witty and to the point posts), when it comes to expressing our ideas in a clear and concise manner, using a wide variety of seemingly straightforward and yet rather cool colloquial phrases.

To be completely honest with you, when I come here I all too often find myself wondering what you , alanta and maybe a handful of other people are doing here? You can go to any english speaking forum and will do just fine there. What's really the point in writing to russians in English when you are just a few clicks away form millions of natives?

ps You might ask why I am here. Well, I guess I have no real reason to be here, the forum is just so fucking addictive. But for better or worse efl.ru 2.0 now is becoming increasingly boring andas you know the more bored you are the easier it becomes to break from its clutches. So wish me luck.
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

Mustang's final bow?
Hope he finds a better and a more appropriate place and space for him.
Sure of that.
Goodbye and good luck to him.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Juliemiracle, thank you.
Actually, I wouldn't insist on using Wikipedia necessarily, despite its obvious advantages. I'm more than sure that somewhere, along with officail trailers, there must be such a thing as an archive of official synopses they use in film distribution to advertise the upcoming movies. I mean those the cinemas refer to. They are even shorter and, surely, they have been edited and re-edited, and edited again by the experts in advertising and, supposed to be catchy, they certainly do not reveal all the secrets.
Maybe, someone knows where to find them.

BTW, I remember you gave me the link to a similar (in a way) collection of doodles - thank you again for it.
What is more, that time you literally saved me: I was struggling to recollect a word I forgot - you know that dreadful feeling.
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

Mary May пишет: 12 сен 2018, 14:24 May be some one knows where to find them.
IMDB would be a good starting point .
This is a very well-known and arguably the most authoritative movie related site (bought by Amazon),
which deals with every movie ever made.
Most (all?) entries have the link Synopsis.
Example

Enjoy)
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
Mary May
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Mary May,
tourist пишет: 12 сен 2018, 15:00 IMDB would be a good starting point .
I second that.
Also, I feel that rottentomatoes.com's English could do no harm to students.
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарил:
Mary May
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

Juliemiracle,
I feel that rottentomatoes.com's English could do no harm to students.
I was going to mention that as well but then thought better of it.
Sure,as a studying/teaching resource it may be valuable,indeed.
What I hate dislike about it is their tomatometer feature.
I could never for the life of me find a movie I liked based on the tomatometer score.
Then somebody mentioned(elsewhere) that the site is owned and run by the Hollywood studios.
And it's basically another marketing engine.
Recent example: Black Panther (2018)
The "official"score is 97% !
97% approval rating for this liberal propaganda crap?
Gimme a break.

Other than that ... a decent resource for teachers,as I said. )
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

tourist,
I don't pay attention to those sth-sth-meters. Now and again I don't see eye to eye with my significant other and my friends about books/films/music worth/not worth reading/watching/listening to. Why would I trust some random collection of anonymous strangers? :)
Xander
Благодарил (а): 47 раз

Сообщение Xander »

Mary May пишет: 11 сен 2018, 14:16 why not use synopses of films found in Wikipedia.
Have been using tv scripts and recaps for years. And I'm sure movie synopses could also be pretty useful.

Movie buffs might also find Penguin Readers quite interesting. The series has a nice film section with adapted versions of famous pictures with audio, factsheets and exercises.
Mary May пишет: 11 сен 2018, 14:16 What might be the hidden downsides of the idea?
Depends on what you want to do with it. Usually it's time, as in time-consuming.
За это сообщение автора Xander поблагодарил:
Mary May
mikka
Благодарил (а): 839 раз

Сообщение mikka »

mustang,
Вам предупреждение.
Пункт 2.5.
mustang

Сообщение mustang »

mikka пишет: 13 сен 2018, 14:05 Вам предупреждение.
Пункт 2.5.
Ok. ThanX.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Kudos to [mention]well well well[/mention]
well well well пишет:13 сен 2018, 19:06 Hi!

I see you guys have figured out iMBD and Rotten Tomatoes as the right sources for short and entertaining movie descriptions.

You might also consider Amazon or even Yelp reviews for that matter, despite the fact that you might need to use a more targeted approach for these.

https://www.google.at/search?q=amazon+r ... e&ie=UTF-8
The origin of kudos:
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Subject: Самостоятельное изучение английского языка с нуля, используя только английский, без каких-либо переводов на родной?
mrMoon пишет: 23 сен 2018, 14:29 Я уверен, что учить с опорой на родной это тупиковый путь, точнее вообще отсутствие пути.
Xander пишет: 23 сен 2018, 20:26 Полностью согласен начиная с уровня A1. C самого начала A0 можно в принципе и к русскому обращаться периодически в первые 2-3 месяца.
Xander, I both agree and disagree with you ))

(but firstly, it should be clearly stated here that I'm not addressing TS's request in full; namely, I haven't touched at all the part concerning self-study and that's one of the reasons I wouldn't join the discussion there; what I'm talking here about, is merely the question of using/avoiding L1).

I wouldn't argue that one can teach/learn the basics (that is, A0) of L2 with little to no aid of L1, when they deal with:
# the objects of the tangible world (you can show the pictures of them or use realia);
# some essential emotions that you can play out/mime/find a picture of;
# some basic actions (the same);
# the simplest abstract concepts such as colours, cardinal numbers, shapes... ;
# social language (hello-goodbye-sorry things);
# (anything else?)
Also, I would certainly agree that when they reach B1/B2 they might be fully ready to get rid of L1 and use loads of both high-quality teaching and authentic material available.

But - in between? Before they reach the level enough to digest the L2-only menu?

Surely, we can try hard, apply all the Celta-like (or other) "tricks" we have under our belt and manage to do without L1 at all - and а decades-long successful experience of courses run by the British Council is the proof to it. But - as someone has mentioned here - that methodology that fully excluded L1 was mainly due to sheer necessity, as the English-speaking teachers - be it at the UK-based language schools or when teaching abroad - did not share a common language with their students.
So, in our position, why should we ignore the possible help we can gain from applying L1 at lower levels? To introduce more abstract concepts than it is possible using only the limited means we have in L2? What for - just for the purity of the experiment? Isn't it better to employ all the resources available?
СпойлерПоказать
Эклектика - наше всё ))
Xander

Сообщение Xander »

Mary May пишет: 23 сен 2018, 23:29 So, in our position, why should we ignore the possible help we can gain from applying L1 at lower levels?
I don't know about 'we' )). What I suggested was one of dozens and hundreds of possible ways of learning the language. )
But anyway without examples our comments are just kinda speculations.
Let's take a look at a word list for A0 level and see how many entries from there are not explainable by pictures or by any other means which don't involve the mother tongue. And how many are. ) Let's even make bets on the ratio. My bet is 99/1, that is out of 100 words there might be one that would probably require a dictionary, though I guess even that is quite unlikely.
Grammar ratio would be a little lower just because there are a few structures quite unusual to us. Not sure about how many.
Mary May пишет: 23 сен 2018, 23:29 To introduce more abstract concepts than it is possible using only the limited means we have in L2?
Doesn't sound like A0 level. Of course if the words are 2-3-23 levels above the student's current level, there's little point in using English for English's sake. If it's a C2 word or some fancy idiom - go ahead, save time, use Russian. )
Mary May пишет: 23 сен 2018, 23:29 What for - just for the purity of the experiment? Isn't it better to employ all the resources available?
Whatever works.
From time to time I use Russian, usually when it's absolutely necessary.
While Cambridge & Oxford & Pearson use English only. Let's argue with them. ))) Maybe, write a letter of complaint just to get some practice. ))
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Xander пишет: 24 сен 2018, 01:07 Let's take a look at a word list for A0 level and see how many entries from there are not explainable by pictures or by any other means which don't involve the mother tongue. And how many are. ) Let's even make bets on the ratio. My bet is 99/1, that is out of 100 words there might be one that would probably require a dictionary, though I guess even that is quite unlikely.
Surely, you can bet on it. And so can I - where on earth have I said the opposite?
But anyway without examples our comments are just kinda speculations.
That's why I didn't want to answer before I have a paper copy of an official Handbook for Cambridge:YL exams here at hand, containing the description of all the three of them, as well as wordlists required to pass them; but I'll have it (not the latest version, but still) no sooner than tomorrow's evening - so, my apologies for coming with nth more than mere speculations again ))
Grammar ratio would be a little lower just because there are a few structures quite unusual to us. Not sure about how many.
Actually, what I find the most challenging to explain and put into my students' minds (Oh, does it sound a bit rude, I wonder? Please, tell me if it does. Because it's certainly not what I mean, but just that, sadly, I'm not aware of the register here - anyway, nb would see)) )... so, what I find the toughest to teach is not anything specific to English only and that is not present in Russian (like... you say what), but such seemingly basic syntactic/semantic links as and/but/so/that's why/because... It is these structures I have to drill again and again, every time using Russian to be sure they got it right - because I have no idea of any other way to figure it out (if anyone knows - please, tell me), as any of Celta-like techniques of eliciting wouldn't give you (or just me?) a clue to whether they understand the difference or not.
Mary May пишет: 23 сен 2018, 23:29 To introduce more abstract concepts than it is possible using only the limited means we have in L2?
Doesn't sound like A0 level.
I haven't claimed it is. What I said was that after A0, when/if we have to deal with more abstract things that we can't so easily illustrate/show/act out but, instead, have to explain with the help of a very limited set of words/concepts already familiar to them in English, employing a bit of L1 might seem a good and sound approach.

Of course, if the words are 2-3-23 levels above the student's current level, there's little point in using English for English's sake. If it's a C2 word or some fancy idiom - go ahead, save time, use Russian. )
Whatever works.
From time to time I use Russian, usually when it's absolutely necessary.

So, as I see it, the only thing we disagree about is that I think that A1-A2 is the level we can hardly avoid Russian (though, again, nothing is impossible), while when teaching A0 students, it's - on the contrary - quite easy because of the limited and simple language with practically no grammar/syntax they learn at the very beginning.
Am I wrong?
Xander

Сообщение Xander »

Mary May пишет: 26 сен 2018, 21:32 I haven't claimed it is.
I was answering this question with A0 level in mind. After all, that's what absolute beginner means to me. Abstact concepts (such as 'be in over your head', for instance, the case when beginners do need a good dictionary) have nothing to do with it. )) Your piece just didn't seem quite relevant to the issue.
Mary May пишет: 26 сен 2018, 21:32Am I wrong?
I don't know. ) I tend to agree with what I see in popular British coursebooks. No Russian there regardless of the level. ))
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Xander пишет: 26 сен 2018, 22:34 I was answering this question with A0 level in mind
OK, then. Surely I can't know what you really had in your mind, but here's the part that I was answering to:
mrMoon пишет: 23 сен 2018, 14:29 Я уверен, что учить с опорой на родной это тупиковый путь, точнее вообще отсутствие пути.
Xander пишет: 23 сен 2018, 20:26 Полностью согласен начиная с уровня A1. C самого начала A0 можно в принципе и к русскому обращаться периодически в первые 2-3 месяца.
- and that isn't about an absolute beginner.
Xander пишет: 26 сен 2018, 22:34 I tend to agree with what I see in popular British coursebooks. No Russian there regardless of the level. ))
- as for this, teaching/learning is not just about coursebooks that are the same in all/most of the countries, it's also about the teacher who uses/adapts/adds a personal touch to them.
Xander

Сообщение Xander »

Mary May пишет: 26 сен 2018, 22:56 - and that isn't about an absolute beginner.
OK, I see now.
You see how easy it is to get trapped into the mix of overlapping ideas and assumptions, and get confused ...

So far you supported your claim with linkers
and, but, so, that's why, because.
If the students are prolific readers and active listeners, I can't imagine them having problems like this one.
If not, then I'm not surprised ...

As for
учить с опорой на родной это тупиковый путь
I hold that view. Let's also make a distinction between this statement and
'learn English occasionally using Russian to translate the words and idioms above the current level / to save time / to draw a parallel'.
There's actually a world of difference between these two propositions.
Mary May
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Xander пишет: 27 сен 2018, 00:01If the students are prolific readers...
- that and/but/so thing was nothing more than an example of (one of) the difficulties that arise when teaching students just one tiny step above beginners - they can hardly have any reading experience worth mentioning and L1 comes as a helpful resource at this stage, as I see it.

Well, it might look like fighting a lost battle - trying to argue with Xander in English, just because his language is "2-3-23" levels above mine )) It is even truer when I have to speak in favour of using L1, all my arguments being undermined and dismissed by the (fair enough) fact that my command in language is far from desirable and that could well be the only true reason I stand for using Russian in the classroom.
Not the only one, really ))
However, our disagreement seems to be not on WHAT, but about WHEN - when it is a safe time to let the students "fly freely" in terms of L1 scaffolding: according to Xander, it's safe enough just after they reach A1 while I'd better wait till B1 when they're ready to use monolingual dictionaries in full and understand the subtle differences in meaning.

-------------------------------------
Xander пишет: 27 сен 2018, 00:01 There's actually a world of difference between these two propositions.
- Agree.
Xander

Сообщение Xander »

Mary May пишет: 27 сен 2018, 14:25 However, our disagreement seems to be not on WHAT, but about WHEN - when it is a safe time to let the students "fly freely" in terms of L1 scaffolding: according to Xander, it's safe enough just after they reach A1 while I'd better wait till B1.
Not that I disagree with you. It's just a matter of opinion, and mine happened to be a bit different from yours. )

Once I had a student with absolute zero knowledge of English. Should add that he spoke another foreign language fluently which could only mean that he is an effective learner. Can hardly remember using any Russian in the lessons. The guy turned out to be better at studying than me or most of the people I know. ))

Another student of mine, B1-B1+, can't stop turning to Russian, keeps puzzling me with questions & requests to translate some phrases or set expressions. I 'don't know' where he picked up this learning 'technique'. )) But surely constant switching between two languages could be very tiresome and challenging.

Mary May пишет: 27 сен 2018, 14:25 Well, it might look like fighting a lost battle - trying to argue with Xander in English, just because his language is "2-3-23" levels above mine ))
I came to realization that one should learn how to argue before making serious attempts to do it. That's exactly what I'm busying myself with these days.

My level is not above, it's just more or less ok. Just like yours. )
Mary May
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Perhaps, this piece is mainly a writing for its own sake - to practise a bit of English, and so all your corrections are welcome.
Mainly, but not solely.
Because there's one thing I've been racking my brains with for a few days already but still can't recollect it, and so - who knows? - maybe someone here would be able to help me.
Firstly, a sort of (short) introduction. You may notice perhaps, that graphic arts, as a rule, are rarely displayed; and almost never are they a part of a permanent exhibition of a museum or gallery, Japanese prints being no exception. The reason for this, certainly, lies not in the lack of interest to them but is due to the damaging effect the sunlight has on the paper they are printed on: the paper gets yellowish, colours fading and losing their original brightness. So the prints displayed now can't give the exact idea of what they looked like at the time when they were created.
None of them does, but still we are able to see some of the old Japanese prints in their full beauty, wherever we are. How can it be?
That brings me directly to what slipped my mind.
There was, many decades ago, an American millionaire (can't remember his name) who owned a brilliant collection of Japanese prints stored in full darkness and never exposed to the sunlight. In his testament, he donated his collection to an institution (can't remember not only its name but even what it was - either a museum/gallery, a library, or a university etc) on the condition it should never be displayed in public nor taken photos of or copied in any other known way, each of them scrupulously named and put on list . And the heirs honoured the arrangement, though feeling like a dog in the manger. And it went on that way, till, with new technologies, a flaw in the testament was found, that they could use: quite understandably, nothing was said about putting digitalised images on their website.
And - that was what they did. Not disobeying the letter of his will - just its spirit.
And I - I lost the bookmark to their site and forgot all the names and have no idea how to google it to find it again.
Maybe someone knows?
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

This is a real story.
And what an unexpected twist, really: what seemed to be (was, actually!) a mere whim of a rich man resulted in the further generations being able to see the prints preserved and untouched, in full colour, no tiny detail missing.

Having slept on it: some mistakes/mis-takes detected )
СпойлерПоказать
Firstly, two of the same kind (or could I just "go American" here and ignore them? )) No, I won't):
You may notice/have noticed...
That brings me directly to what (has) slipped my mind.

and almost never hardly ever are they a part of a permanent exhibition...
interest to in them... - one of those I'm most ashamed of ((
almost never hardly ever

ARTICLES:
the sunlight (?)
put on the list

give the exact idea of what they looked like - perhaps could have put it differently (?)

due to the damaging effect the sunlight has on the paper they are printed on: the paper gets yellowish, colours fading and losing their original brightness / the paper getting yellowish, colours fading and losing their original brightness (?)

None of them does - checked this, and it appeared both plural and singular forms are possible, mine (with does) being more formal; not sure that was really my intention )

copied in any other known way /reproduced!!

And it went on that way, till, with new technologies (feel as if a verb is needed here; which one? ...invented? emerged? developed?)

a flaw/loophole? in the testament was found

putting digitaliZed images on their website/uploading
And, from the newer part: isn't unexpected twist a bit tautological?
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

What can't stop surprising me (or should I not be surprised at last?) is the high accuracy with which you can usually guess, the very moment you see some certain familiar nicknames, what their replies would be - no matter what the question was about and what concerns the TS faces with. And usually, it is all about the advisers' personal experience. That's great, but why not try - not to reject your own XP (no way!) - but to put it aside for a while, whatever impressive and the best of the best it is, in order to give a closer look at TS's needs and wants that could be - surprise-surprise - not the same as ours?

A bit more. Speaking of CEFR, it's astonishing how many people look down on B2 level and underestimate it badly. To my eye, it implies quite a decent command in English - it becomes obvious as soon as you read carefully the official description of what it is. It is NOT what one inevitably gain after going through a couple of B2 coursebooks, and no wonder that well well well started a thread trying to discuss whether anyone can reach it at all.
Personally, even after CAE, I'd more often tend to consider myself a B2, or - at rare moments of self-indulgence - maybe, a B2+ learner rather an advanced one in the true sense of the word, and that with some of the aspects reaching C2.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

[mention]September[/mention]
СпойлерПоказать
Ура, Септембер вернулась! Ради вас прекращаю немедленно!:)
- As you see, your intervention could have stopped "the battle", that I was involved in, posts ago. Exactly as I told you.

No white knights in shining armour - it was you who I was waiting for to come and step in. You were the only person here able to do it - respected by my opponent and, at the same time, uncompromised by expressing any sympathy for me, as Yety is.

You and Yety were the two who I shared my not-so-proud-of CAE experience with.
Of you two, Yety's evidence was dismissed as biased, he and me being referred to as the characters of a famous fable, praising each other and always ready to circle the wagons to protect each other.

You could hardly be accused of anything of that sort.
And you did it, at last - you did step in, after all Yety's noble attempts seemed to make things even worse, provoking more insults to both of us, this time. <To Yety: let it not look like I'm blaming you - I am grateful you were here for me but I feel I have to beg your pardon for what followed and the insults you happened to be a target of because of me.>

It is sad that your ill-feeling towards J. (that's the person we both know and the one I referred to) blurred your judgement and stopped you from giving me a hand when I needed it. I still prefer to cherish the self-deceiving idea you were going to...
September пишет: 01 дек 2018, 11:08 ...я полностью согласна с тем, что статус преподавателя-экзаменатора сам по себе ничего не значит. (Особенно, когда видишь, как этой самый экзаменатор-преподаватель ведет урок и думаешь – если урок ваш так себе, на 4 с минусом, могу ли я быть уверена, что как экзаменатор вы всегда на высоте?)…
You were not fair to her.
Anyway, your remark about her teaching style/competence has nothing to do with what we were arguing about, namely, J.'s claim that "they do not count your mistakes" at CAE Writing Paper - the claim you yourself agreed with:
September пишет: 01 дек 2018, 11:08 можно получить максимальный балл даже при наличии ошибок, потому что экзаменатор смотрит на общий уровень в целом, а не считает количество ошибок – в этом кембриджские экзамены выгодно отличаются от того же ЕГЭ.
BTW, here mustang so innocently misquotes my "никто скрупулезно не считает ошибки" (#29) as "никто скрупулезно не проверяет ошибки" (#53) - such a tiny little shift it is - and happily goes on arguing over the statement he himself has just invented.

Back to the point.
What is more, no-one's teaching style has anything to do with their qualifications as an examiner either - these are just two different skills, not necessarily embodied in one person.

You are a brilliant and creative teacher far more knowledgeable than me, and so it's difficult for me to oppose your judgement on teaching methods <"если урок ваш так себе, на 4 с минусом...">. So, I won't.
Still, I feel I have to raise my voice for the person I respect and appreciate and who can't speak for herself here on the board. If I didn't it would be like letting her down - the fact that she never would know about it not being an excuse.

That's the least I owe her.

Этот недельной давности неотправленный пост был как незавершенный гештальт.
mustang

Сообщение mustang »

Mary May пишет: 09 дек 2018, 08:56 As you see, your intervention could have stopped "the battle", that I was involved in, posts ago. Exactly as I told you.
СпойлерПоказать
No, I don't think that had September intervened in our verbal fist fight an hour earlier I would have immediately backed down like a village dimwit who sudenly realised that he was your intellectual inferior and was going to embarrass himself in front of others rather than pick apart every statement you made.

We had been battling out over who was a moron in disguise:) for a few hours when September showed up quite unexpetctedly and told us very politely to shut the fuck up. And I shut the fuck up mostly because I didn't want her to get sucked into the meaningless argument you had no chance of winning.:)

Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

mikka пишет: 03 янв 2019, 11:29 Итак, если мы берем с нуля и до устойчивого Интерм, то сколько это стоит?
Ответ - выучить язык стоит примерно 200 тысяч рублей и три года жизни.
Aksamitka пишет: 03 янв 2019, 11:36 Сюда, думаю, стоит прибавить проезд (если это не дистанционные занятия), учебники (даже если вы их дома распечатываете). Думаю, это еще прибавит примерно 30000 за 3 года.

А вот кол-во часов с преподавателем я бы считала по-другому. Берем таблицу примерного кол-ва guided hours для уровня intermediate. Это 400 часов. Умножаем: 400*700=280000
Here I'm going to share some thoughts regarding [mention]mikka[/mention]'s question, not joining the discussion that is already five pages long and has been dragged far away from the topic in question, which is the cost - the cost you have to pay to achieve B1.

The option of a university education mentioned there should be excluded as absolutely irrelevant to Mikka's request - no way is she considering making linguistics her profession if I get it right.

Other answers, suggesting either self-study or 1-2-1 learning, give the figures from zero to 200-280 thousand RUR respectively, the former being a bit too optimistic, not including the price of any materials and other spendings.

Being a desperate eclectic, I wouldn't join either of the parties and would rather suggest a "third decision", that is, a combination of learning in a group with self-study. Hope it might be a sort of compromise and fit someone's needs.

Anyone can do the calculations themselves if they look at the curriculum and the price list of any established language school they tend to trust. What you would very likely find there, is 60-70 hours to go through the Beginner level, and then 100-140 hours to cover each of Elementary, Pre-Int. and Intermediate levels with prices depending on the place you're based in.

Now, just a suggestion.

No matter how strongly the school encourages you, you don't have to take all the courses one after another with just days or even a week in between. It could be more beneficial if you take a series of intensive one-month-long courses with breaks as long as 2-2.5 months in between, during which you no way stop, but keep going with your studies in an "autodidactic" mode, so appreciated by many people here.
Why could it be beneficial?
First of all, it might be much easier to arrange all your personal/professional issues so that they won't distract you from giving your full attention to the classes if they last one month rather than 3-4 months as the usual duration is, in case of a common twice-a-week schedule.
Besides, many of us are more used to working more intensively for a short period of time with a relatively quieter period to follow.
As for the seemingly too long breaks in between, the reason is that you need some time to digest the input: there can be no shortcuts here, you just can't do it faster than you really can. If you try to - the most likely result would be you forget everything you've learnt as fast as you've gained it.
Besides - and it is of vital importance - these breaks is a high time to "personalise" your learning to meet your demands and interests.
By the time you go back to your classes, ready to go on, you'd have revised and recycled what you'd learnt. What if more, you would definitely have some questions emerged during your solo sail that might need the teacher's help or, maybe you would come up with some guesses and observations of your own that might need re-affirming or rejection - and again, the teacher will help you with it.
And, last but not least, going back to classes will help you track your progress and reassure you that you're on the [right] go.
Hope it will be of some help.
За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарил:
well well well
Ответить