Well, well, well ...and mine, too!

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Yety
Благодарил (а): 3380 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Mary May пишет: 02 апр 2018, 21:19 if someone tells me how it could be put in a different way I'd be happy
There is a way it could be put differently as suggested here:
https://thoughtcatalog.com/abi-prettyma ... niversary/
Simply put, anniversary is based on the Latin “annum” meaning “year.” If we want to celebrate an event that recurs each month, you should turn to the Latin word, mensis. That means that your “one month anniversary” is actually your mensiversary. Welcome to language!

MEN-SI-VER-SA-RY (mèn´se-vûr´se-rê) noun
1. The monthly recurring date of a past event, especially one of historical, national, or personal importance: a first date mensiversary; the mensiversary of the founding of Nerstone Pictures.
2. A celebration commemorating such a date. from Latin: mensis, month + versus, past participle of vertere, to turn.
Yet, such vocabulary might be just a little too revealing about certain traits of its user's character.)

Usages like 'one-month anniversary' have become so wide-spread that
Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary (11th ed.) defines ‘anniversary’ as:
The annual recurrence of a date marking a notable event; broadly: a date that follows such an event by a specified period of time measured in units other than years.
What we are now witnessing with anniversary once happened to the word jubilee, which originally - in Judaism - meant a year of emancipation and restoration, kept every fifty years.
Origin:
late Middle English: from Old French jubile, from late Latin jubilaeus (annus) ‘(year) of jubilee’, based on Hebrew yōḇēl, originally ‘ram's-horn trumpet’, with which the jubilee year was proclaimed.
СпойлерПоказать
https://www.etymonline.com/word/jubilee
jubilee (n.)
late 14c., in the Old Testament sense, from Old French jubileu "jubilee; anniversary; rejoicing" (14c., Modern French jubilé), from Late Latin iubilaeus "the jubilee year," originally an adjective, "of the jubilee," from Greek iabelaios, from iobelos, from Hebrew yobhel "jubilee," formerly "a trumpet, ram's horn," literally "ram." The original jubilee was a year of emancipation of slaves and restoration of lands, to be celebrated every 50th year (Levit. xxv:9); it was proclaimed by the sounding of a ram's horn on the Day of Atonement.

The form of the word was altered in Latin by association with unrelated Latin iubilare "to shout with joy" (for which see jubilant), and the confusion of senses has continued in the Romanic languages and English. The general sense of "season of rejoicing" is first recorded mid-15c. in English, however through early 20c. the word kept its specific association with 50th anniversaries.
There's nothing in the word itself connecting it to the number '50' as is the case with 'anniversary', though.

PS Jubilee and jubilation are unrelated - who could've guessed!
That was a bit of a shocker, I have to admit ...))
Yety felt a lot like 20+ years ago when he accidentally learnt that "подушка - это не то, что лежит под ушком...")))
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
Mary May
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

All that follows is just my opinion, of course. I'm not a teacher. See my corrections to your text in brackets — [].
Mary May пишет: 02 апр 2018, 21:21 I'm here today to write abt my first month on the forum[,] though I have a bad feeling that my writing might go wrong and I [might] end up with sth different.
The abbreviations (abt, sth) are a bit annoying, since it's unclear why they are necessary on a forum.
Mary May пишет: 02 апр 2018, 21:21 In case this happens, I'd like to start with thanking right now those who have given me a helping hand[,] pointing at the mistakes I made in my writing.
Unless you mean that the helping hand was also a pointing one. :)
Mary May пишет: 02 апр 2018, 21:21 They are (alphabetically): acapontic
No, no. acapNOtic, not acapONtic. :)
Mary May пишет: 02 апр 2018, 21:21 I started this thread in the hope [that] I [would] write here regularly, preferably working alongside on a certain language issue from a coursebook - be it lexis, grammar[,] or syntax.
Mary May пишет: 02 апр 2018, 21:21 Though not in the way I'd like to, my job there , nevertheless, not only has made me write a line or two - as feedback to students' texts, [-] but also has brought a kind of regularity in my appearances here on the forum - for good or for bad.
I see "nevertheless" as redundant here. Also, I'd probably put "not only" after "has" and omit the "has" after "but also". And I'd replace "appearances on" with "visits to". Though it may be OK as it is; I'm not sure.
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
Mary May
Belka_Teacher
Благодарил (а): 3869 раз

Сообщение Belka_Teacher »

acapnotic, why have you corrected the oxford comma?(((
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Belka_Teacher, did I? I actually inserted it. Or do you mean it shouldn't be there?

One more correction. Probably the last one.
Mary May пишет: 02 апр 2018, 21:21 Unlike the late efl.ru, which - [to] many of us - seemed to [have existed since] the beginning of time[] and [to] last forever
Belka_Teacher
Благодарил (а): 3869 раз

Сообщение Belka_Teacher »

acapnotic, oh, I see, I thought that brackets were for deletion... got confused, my apologies!
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Mary May пишет: 09 июл 2018, 15:42 If anyone would like to comment on my language - be it grammar, syntax or word choice - please don't post your remarks here not to spoil Xander's thread, but put them here please
so typical for journalists
typical OF perhaps?
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарил:
Mary May
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

Juliemiracle, oh, my favourite one ((
Thanks!
Anything else?

I'd better put it here:

[quote="Mary May" post_id=32232 time=1531140144 user_id=90]
Заголовок: Just Something To Share
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Mary May пишет: 09 июл 2018, 19:02 Anything else?
I'm not really sure about "Europe in war".
"variances": is this the thing you meant? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variance
And shouldn't it be the last but not the least? https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dic ... -not-least
P.S. If I post sth in English anywhere on the forum, could you return the favour and write about my inaccuracies, mistakes, errors and things that don't seem right to you?
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарил:
Mary May
Роман Молти
Благодарил (а): 301 раз

Сообщение Роман Молти »

Hi, Mary May,
which explains weird wording and archaicisms found in his early American writing could arise genuine interest here
Consider using the word "arouse" instead of "arise" in this context.
За это сообщение автора Роман Молти поблагодарил:
Mary May
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

***NOTHING NEW***

Having scanned my yesterday's text today, I've found a couple of typos, added/deleted a few articles and - what is really important - corrected the mistakes you kindly pointed out.

My thanks to [mention]Juliemiracle[/mention] , [mention]Роман Молти[/mention] , [mention]September[/mention] and [mention]Yety[/mention] .
СпойлерПоказать
Mary May пишет: 09 июл 2018, 15:42 Заголовок: Just Something To Share
Xander пишет: 06 июл 2018, 15:15 Periodically I come across some very interesting language-related facts and stories, which can't be easily found online now or any time soon, such as the following

Thought some of you here might find it interesting.
Thank you for posting this, it is interesting indeed.
I would say it might be a brilliant example of how stories/rumours related to celebrities spread: a mr Wilson says something to a mrs White, who, in her turn, repeats it to the author of the quoted extract (or - which is much more likely - there may be far more steps in between) who, then, publishes it in the New Yorker (?), where you find it and share it with us (thank you very much again!)... What's (who's) next?
The (sensational) claim, that
Nabokov learned most of his English vocabulary by studying the Unabridged Oxford English Dictionary
which explains weird wording and archaicisms found in his early American writing, could arouse genuine interest here, on the EFL-related forum.
Although I am not fully convinced by the statement, I'm afraid.
According to Nabokov's memoirs, he was brought up in a family with anglophile parents, with foreign nurses and, later, tutors being always there for him since his infancy. Speaking Russian, English and French in his household, Nabokov learned to read and write in English prior to doing it in Russian. You might have a healthy dose of scepticism towards this, as I can offer you no proof of his early proficiency in English except his own words.
However, I've got at least one more point, and it's a solid fact. For four years, Nabokov had been studying at the famous Trinity College (Cambridge University), and even if we believe him that he was not a diligent and hard-working student,
СпойлерПоказать
Vladimir Nabokov brings Tirana to Trinity

Not once in my three years of Cambridge – repeat: not once – did I visit the University Library, or even bother to locate it (I know its new place now), or find out if there existed a College library where books might be borrowed for reading in one’s digs. I skipped lectures. I sneaked to London and elsewhere. I conducted several love affairs simultaneously. I had dreadful interviews with Mr Harrison.1 I translated into Russian a score of poems by Rupert Brooke, Alice in Wonderland, and Romain Rolland’s Colas Breugnon. Scholastically, I might as well have gone up to the Inst. M. M. of Tirana.

1. Nabokov’s Tutor.

From VLADIMIR NABOKOV [matric. 1920], Speak Memory (1951)
https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/about/histor ... iterature/
still, he graduated with a BA and who dares to say that his knowledge of the language was just bookish.
Nevertheless, I do believe that there's more than a grain of truth in what the NY's journalists say - they really could have had a hard time adapting Nabokov's early writings to meet the magazine's requirements. Though, the claim of his learning the language from the dictionary exclusively seems to be nothing but a catchy phrase said for the sake of its own, so typical of journalists, as there could be at least three more plausible reasons why his language sounded a bit "queer" or outdated to their ears.
First and obvious, indeed - that was the generation gap. The language of the 1940s, when he fled to the USA from Europe at the outbreak of World War 2, differed substantially from that of 20 years before, to say nothing of the English he had acquired as a toddler. Then, we should not ignore the variations found on both sides of the pond. And - last but not least - the language of "belle lettres" could not be similar to that of journalism.
СпойлерПоказать
(Even if we keep in mind the highest standard of the New Yorker among other media and the fact that it has been a "venue" for a great number of literary debutes.)
Moreover, we should not forget that VN started his literary career with poems, and the way poets express themselves even in prose is not the same as other authors do.

And, again, my thanks to @Xander for sharing and spurring me to the SO delayed effort to write ANYthing at all ((
If anyone would like to comment on my language - be it grammar, syntax or word choice - you are more than welcome.
Роман Молти

Сообщение Роман Молти »

Although I am not fully convinced by the statement, I'm afraid.
This sentence sounds weird. "Although" is used as part of a clause to create a certain contrast. I don't think this is what you're trying to convey. You should either remove it from your sentence or use a different word. If you leave it in the paragraph, the sentence's meaning is clear, but with no context the meaning is ambiguous. This is what it means if we follow grammar rules literally without context: "Although I am not fully convinced by the statement, I'm afraid. ~~ Despite the fact that I'm not fully convinced by the statement, I'm frightened".

I showed your sentence to a native speaker and here's what he said:
The main problem with that one is that, without more context, it reads initially as if the first clause were subordinate, and the second (meaning 'I am frightened') is the main one. It is grammatically correct and could mean what you intend it to mean, but that meaning is unlikely to be understood in the absence of context.
He confirmed my suspicion about the sentence. I suggested the following changed sentence and he said that it's much clearer
I'm afraid, however, that I am not fully convinced by the statement.
Or more informally, you could use "though" instead of "however"
I'm afraid, though, that I am not fully convinced by the statement.
PS. I like your writing. Do not think I'm trying to show off. I can easily make similar mistakes, especially when I'm tired or in a hurry.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

The (intended) contrast was to the previous part, like "The statement may be interesting but/although I'm not convinced by it..."
Do not think I'm trying to show off
No way! I do appreciate any help.
Роман Молти

Сообщение Роман Молти »

I don't think it's grammatically correct to use "although" at the beginning of a sentence as a substitute for "but" or "however".It's only used to create a contrast with what's already in your sentence, not with what the previous sentence means, imho
https://www.kaplaninternational.com/blo ... ck-english
За это сообщение автора Роман Молти поблагодарили (всего 2):
Mary May, Yety
Роман Молти

Сообщение Роман Молти »

By the way, that sentence immediately caught my eye. I decided to run it by a native speaker and he confirmed what I thought was wrong with it. Maybe in some informal conversation or writing you can flout that rule. It's an interesting case. But the problem still remains, namely
it reads initially as if the first clause were subordinate, and the second (meaning 'I am frightened') is the main one.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

СпойлерПоказать
Hate to admit - so silly and vain it sounds! - that the one and only incentive for posting it right now is to capture a special moment of three round figures in a row attached to my account: 800-600-500.
I was so hurried into writing it, that - what is really mean - even ignored a few "thank-you"s to be said (sorry guys, I'll be back with them in a min).
Well, I wish the "wonderful figures" would rather be 90-60-90 (( , but still...

One more (understandable) excuse - I just lack the chance and purpose to write in English ((
As always, I'm waiting for your comments on any inaccuracies found in this very short text... <disclaimer>
СпойлерПоказать
written in such a hurry
За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарил:
tourist
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

One more (understandable) excuse - I just lack the chance and purpose to write in English ((
well, lacking the chance could be understandable,
but lacking the purpose ??
C'mon, it's now your civic duty to write in English here,
given the number of people who are unwilling to do so.

added thank you #501 .. just being spiteful and jealous of your round figures )
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
Mary May
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

tourist пишет: 25 июл 2018, 18:50 added thank you #501 .. just being spiteful and jealous of your round figures )
I myself have already spoiled the picture )) with my "thanks".
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

I'm here again, unable to conquer my unease.
It was only a day or two ago when it seemed that all (or, many of) the troubles here had been left behind.
With M.'s penalty removed, J. returned, A. re-emerged from his self-exile, T. seemingly stopping his naming and blaming - with all that, the air (I wrongly thought) had cleared.
And - again!..
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

Mary May, just relax. Why should you be in trouble? Isn't it just a game? Aren't we all actors in this drama?
Sit conveniently in your chair and watch :) Have fun !
За это сообщение автора Michelangelo поблагодарил:
Mary May
Olya
Благодарил (а): 159 раз

Сообщение Olya »

Is it possible to formulate the cause of worry? Anyway the forum doesn't belong to anyone alone and you cannot silence opposition.)
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Do hope Olya would kindly forgive me not answering her question; I'd rather call it a day and move on.
Today is today.
And today I'm here again, again moaning and groaning, and seeking sympathy (which is not against the rules, is it, depressive [mention]nkaper[/mention]?), on the eve of the new school year suddenly (!) realising that nothing's been done to boost my English in general and my writing in particular - as always.
СпойлерПоказать
Года за годами...
Бароны воют,
Бароны пируют...
Барон фон Грюнвальдус,
Сей доблестный рыцарь,
Все в той же позицьи
На камне сидит...
К.П.
Unable to produce anything at this very moment, I decided to post here what I wrote in the morning as an intro to the text (an extract from a book) that I suggested for translation. My excuse for doing this is that the TRANSLATION section is not the right place where I would expect my English to be corrected. I have edited the text a bit according to some helpful feedback I already got.
Please, could you comment on the language - not only on grammar or spelling mistakes but on word choice as well.
NOTICE: This time contents do matter.
Mary May пишет: 29 авг 2018, 13:45 Unlike the first four, today's piece is, for a refreshing (hopefully) change, taken from fiction.
It's an extract from Tony Parson's award-winning book A Man and a Boy, which later, with two sequels, developed into "Harry Silver" series; so, for those who'll get hooked on the story - a long way to go read to enjoy.
Besides, if you're a type who prefers going deeper rather than wider, there's a new online book-based course on offer:
Subject: Марафон по книге. Вопросы к участникам форума.
Starting in September!

And below's an extract for you either to try your hand at translation or just to help you make a more balanced decision about joining the course - because, it's sometimes better to have a bite of your own rather than rely on someone else's opinions (here, I'm talking about the GoodReads reviews); besides, it will show you whether it is the right level for you - as we're not always able to estimate it accurately.

In the extract, we meet Harry, a successful TV producer, happily married with a child, on the eve of his 30th birthday, unaware of what he is to face soon.
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Mary May,
seeking sympathy.. их есть у меня )
a few petty criticisms nitpicks

my excuse reason for doing ..
- unable to produce -> having writer's block
- of what he is to face soon -> of what he is soon to face
- too many unjustified (though grammatically correct) contractions:
I'd, nothing's been done,who'll get,below's
below's is probably wrong..

- but your biggest and totally inexcusable sin was to invite the depressed one
to spam this already grossly over spammed forum (
Mary May
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

tourist, thank you.

Sadly, have no idea what to do with word order; my intuition seems to mislead me again and again.

As for contractions, I usually have to force myself to use them in writing, because for me, it's ironic, that what makes speaking sound more casual, faster and, if I may say so, more conveniet, [for me] works the opposite way in writing. It's easier [for me, again] to type a few more letters than to switch between keyboards in order to put ' . Like stumbling. Annoying.
your biggest and totally inexcusable sin
it was nth more than a quotation and so I mentioned the source for it.

BTW, you seem to have missed something.
For instance, one more mistake I can see now: NOT "contents matter", BUT "content matters.
And it really does.
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Mary May,
I did notice contents but was unsure about what you meant exactly.
I guess it could go both ways.
See 2b for example.
if I may say so, more conveniet,
regrettably, no ))
switch between keyboards in order to put '
?
Mary May
alanta
Благодарил (а): 545 раз

Сообщение alanta »

Mary May пишет: 29 авг 2018, 23:01 Please, could you comment on the language - not only on grammar or spelling mistakes but on word choice as well.
I'm not a teacher or native speaker, and my own English isn't perfect after all, so I don't feel that I have the right to correct anything in your text. This is just a reader impression, and I *may* be wrong.

For me, as a reader the text is hard to read. And even at first glance there are too many commas for an English text. I'm not an expert in English punctuation but it seems that they don't use as much commas as we do it in Russian. Just as example, the first sentence:

"Unlike the first four, today's piece is, for a refreshing (hopefully) change, taken from fiction."

IMO, "Unlike the first four" and "for a refreshing (hopefully) change" in one sentence look a bit redundant. If I try to edit it a little I'd write like: For a refreshing (hopefully) change today's piece was taken from fiction / For a refreshing (hopefully) change, today's piece was taken from fiction.

I think if you try to keep it short and simple when it's possible your writing would look better.
Although, as I said I'm just an English learner who keeps doing all kinds of mistakes herself so I may be totally wrong in everything I wrote here :).
За это сообщение автора alanta поблагодарил:
Mary May
Ответить