Well, well, well ...and mine, too!

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

You should congratulate me...
(C) Donald Trump
Perhaps, someone would like to :)
СпойлерПоказать
My daughter's got married!
[mention]Tea42[/mention] , so sorry for the delay :(
I'll try to do my best.
За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарили (всего 2):
Yety, September
Tea42
Благодарил (а): 2208 раз

Сообщение Tea42 »

2 Mary May
Oh really? Congra-a-ats!
PS It's OK about the delay:)
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Mary May,
wishing all the best to the happy couple! :)
Пружина

Сообщение Пружина »

Mary May,

I wish you to be treated with a lot of respect and to be a beloved mother-in-law :)
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Thank you :)
So happy for them!
A new page of my life, too. Empty nest syndrome, you know...
Mermaid
Благодарил (а): 146 раз

Сообщение Mermaid »

Mary May пишет: 03 авг 2019, 06:00 Empty nest syndrome
It is not a clinical condition (Wiki) :)
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Well, I'll try to stop on the verge - before it turns into clinical condition)
Chaika
Благодарил (а): 6 раз

Сообщение Chaika »

Mary May,
You'll probably miss her/them. Our kids are long gone from the house (one now lives an hour away, and the other one way out in California). Wife and I miss them both.
Congratulations for another milestone passed!
За это сообщение автора Chaika поблагодарил:
Mary May
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Looks like I can't switch myself into work mode and start doing ANYthing about my English etc. - and it all despite the fact that I definitely have missed English during the last few (actually, many ) weeks. Almost no reading/listening - and no writing/watching at all 😟.
Can't boast of any helpful routines as you guys are doing there ("Поговорим о привычках"). At the moment, the ones I used to have (or, perhaps, just thought I had) seem to need some major adjustments.

However, now in mid-August, the no.1 priority for me should become not my personal language-or-whatever development but rather getting ready for the next year. Luckily, with NatGeo materials, in particular, it should not be boring - no matter the low level.
What else I should do, perhaps, is to overcome my strong unwillingness to tackle all these technology-related issues...

Chaika,
Thank you for your kind words.
Yes, it'll take quite a while to go to see them now - still, so happy to see them happy.
Oh, no literally "see"...
Пружина

Сообщение Пружина »

Mary May,

This condition can be considered just as an opportunity to have a gulp of freedom and nothing more...
За это сообщение автора Пружина поблагодарил:
Mary May
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Пружина пишет: 09 авг 2019, 12:22to have a gulp of freedom...
And I do have it - more than just a gulp )
For example, I can hardly remember a period in my life when I would go to theatres as often as I did it in May-June.
And in the autumn, it could be a good idea to return to pilates that I quit years ago.
Or, maybe try something else...
mustang
Благодарил (а): 926 раз

Сообщение mustang »

Mary May пишет: 02 авг 2019, 21:24 My daughter's got married!
Oh my, what your daughter has done to you! Her marriage has turned you into a mother in law! The most dangerous beast roaming the vast terrains of the male world and pouncing at newly-minted husbands…

Well, well, well :)now that's REALLY sPoOkY!
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Not the most comforting words ever, if you ask me.

I was really reluctant to post here for quite a while. I was even going to abandon the thread for good until yesterday, when I came across one video on YouTube.

It must be a folk song, I reckon - I assume it from its plain inornate tune and repetitive structures (ideal for a beginner language learner as me), and a simple message, echoing with that of #212.
It goes sth like this (just one verse):
There's joy - so, there's love.
There's love - so, there's a wedding.
There's a wedding - so, there's a mother-in-law.
There's a mother-in-law - so, joy's gone.
((

But then, it optimistically unwinds backwards:
No joy - no love.
No love - no wedding.
No wedding - no mother-in-law.
No mother-in-law - joy's back!
((

Not so sure it's an equally positive outcome for the "other side", though (
mustang

Сообщение mustang »

Mary May,

Oh, Marry, you are being so "@popsicle":). I guess you don't seem to understand that it was not an insult but rather a blatantly stupid joke. So I'll try to make my point so clear that it will literally blind you.

There's an element of truth in every joke including this one. Too many husbands are being bullied by their angry mother-in-laws. The numerous laws have been passed over the years to protect children form child abuse but nothing and I mean nothing has ever been done to make sure that mother-in-laws cannot and will not abuse their "god-given" power over quickly diminishing male population.

Everyone knows it's illegal to ambush cute-looking endangered species, sneak upon them, grab them by their tails screaming "I got you, little suckers". Husbands are no different and deserve better than this.

ps Btw, I like your song. So hurtful but so true. And ,Mary, can you do me a little favour? Don't go all "@popsicle" on me anymore.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Blinded by the power of your persuasion, indeed...

So, you think I got bent out of shape over this charming jokes of yours, do you? Did it seem that way?
It wasn't the case. And won't ever be, I hope, because I got used to your humour. Besides, it would be quite silly of me to get upset over the words of someone I hardly don't know at all. Unfortunately, I have lots of other things to worry about.
I might be just not in the best of moods when posting, sorry.
mustang пишет: 21 окт 2019, 09:54 I like your song. So hurtful but so true.
It was just one verse. There are more "pearls of everyday wisdom" there )
mustang пишет: 21 окт 2019, 09:54 being so "@popsicle"
Why can't you leave her alone, even here?
mustang пишет: 21 окт 2019, 09:54 endangered species
You know, mothers-in-law are not the only "dangerous beasts". Poor vulnerable you!...
WARNING: this video may hurt your feelings.
...or, maybe, provide you with one more unbeatable argument ))
(in Russian, a bit too long - appr. 8.5 min, starring Xenia Rappoport)
СпойлерПоказать
mustang

Сообщение mustang »

Mary May пишет: 24 окт 2019, 00:11 Why can't you leave her alone, even here?
Love of my life. Just can't help it. @tourist obviously thinks that we have feelings for each other. He is even trying to rent his room to us.

What else can "get a room" mean from a guy pushing 60?
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Школа была одна из лучших, ее в своем время закончил Борис Березовский...
))
Another Boleyn Girl Boris boy))
https://www.classic-music.ru/berezovsky_boris.html

And now - a bit of showing-off:
the school that I used to go definitely was the best.
At least, it was the only one, AFAIK, chosen to host Queen Elisabeth and Prince Philipp during their official visit to the - then - USSR )

But, honestly, not so much to be proud about: I attended it for just one year, but it was the year (my 2nd form) when I started learning English - decades ago. And, decades after, I still remember my first English teacher, Нина Ивановна, who threated us, 8-year-olds, as trustworthy adults and even shared with us some of the findings on pronunciation she'd just learnt at some CPD events.

But it wasn't all about English only. Surprisingly, of all my three schools, nowhere else did I feel so comfortable with classmates as at no.20. I say - surprisingly, because no way did my family belong there. Financially, first of all. Certainly, it could've well changed for worse during the next years, but that year was definitely the happiest in my school life. The only happy one - because later on, I sincerely hated school and schooling and whatever related to it.

So, it was not boasting but rather just revisiting some of my sweet memories.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

I've just cancelled my so long-awaited trip ((
I'd been looking forward to it since October when I first read about the upcoming exhibition in Ghent.
Now, I quit my bookings and the reason I had to do it is the panic around the outbreak of Covid-19.
It's not that I believe that the odds to get infected "somewhere there" are any higher than in my hometown. On the contrary: Moscow, at its 12 million, is far more densely populated than most European cities, which inevitably means higher risks for its inhabitants. The thing is, I just can't afford even a minor distraction of my very short journey. Five-night-long in total, it could be completely ruined even by a half-a-day delay. With such events as the Venice carnival or the London Book Fair cancelled over coronavirus fears and such venues as Milan cathedral or the Louvre closed (the latter for a few days only, but still), how can I be sure that the exhibition I'm heading to won't be closed for the public as well? And it was the main reason for me to go there this time of the year.
The main, but not the one and only. For another one was and is, that I badly need a break at this very moment, as I can't fully recover since mid-autumn, shortness of breath coming back every other day. I hoped that merely fleeing away from our gloomy November-like weather could, to some extent, revitalise my depleted vigour, to say nothing of the healing effect of the positive emotions brought by such a timely getaway.
None of these's going to happen now.
And there's no use telling me, as some of my friends do, that I belong to a group with "pre-existing medical condition" and thus can be at particular risk under the circumstances - even it's true, there's no big difference, as I said, between your chances to fall ill here and there.
A few days earlier, on Monday-Tuesday, two of my friends re-scheduled their trips, too. Now, we can try and do something together )
And, back to reading and going out here.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

My day usually begins with Google.
Well... maybe after a few words with my cat and along with my very first cup of coffee or tea.
That is why so lovely has it been to start it with the familiar and so recognisable face looking directly at me outside of the second "O" of the doodle - or, rather, instead of it - all the other letters dissolving and blending with the background, leaving the picture alone.
Never been her particular fan, but still...
She's here with me - for me - till tomorrow :)

Regional edition, I guess.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Today's Google doodle is nothing special - just a Christmas garland winding around the coloured letters.
Unexpectedly, it proved to be of some use, reminding me of two things that I have to do but, for some reason, haven't put a date on. For one of them, the better deadline would've been "a few days ago", while another would rather wait, but not for long.

BTW, I was just about to try Eager Beaver's smart planner to put my whole life in order to arrange all my plans when, all of a sudden (lol), the number of events to put on the list plummeted. Scarcely anywhere to go, anything special to do. So, I'm still with my old Google Calendar - very basic is it indeed but seems quite ok for the life I'm living now.
Oh, Google again... Seems omnipresent. Thank god, not omnipotent.
Not yet? :)
Eager Beaver
Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Mary May пишет: 11 дек 2020, 14:25 Eager Beaver's smart planner
Fwiw, it's so much more than just a smart planner. Many people use it to build a second brain.
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарил:
Mary May
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

I've just watched the video, thanks.
So, your claim is, this -
пишет: 11 дек 2020, 14:25 to put my whole life in order
- isn't an exaggeration I thought it was.
Anyway, I don't feel I'm ready for such a radical change - be it to achieve whatever folks would like to achieve or just for the pleasing sake of self-perfection. Feel too distracted, too unfocused at the moment.
The more I need it, you may say? Yes. Yes, that's right; but no, not yet.
Maybe, later? :)

However, there's a tiny step I made on the way to the better version of my imperfect self, something I could congratulate myself on.
That is, I've stopped reading about Covid-19, be it on Meduza.io, in scientific publications, or here on the forum.
The last time I read the thread here was a week or two ago. There was even a post - sarcastic or not, couldn't get it -that I thought I could comment on, it was about the conspiracy between the airlines. However, I managed not to and - surprise! - the thread could survive and thrive even without my valuable contribution :)
I still may grasp a few bits of news now and then, as the radio is often on in the background. But, honestly, I have trouble focusing even when I try to, so there can't be much harm when I don't.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

About Google, again.

This time, it's GoogleFit.

With nothing to track for weeks while I was badly ill, I didn't bother to check the app. Now, back on my feet, I did. And it appeared that something went wrong with it, it's hard to say how long ago. Not only the app's not doing its job - that is, recording my activities - but also the whole array of data since March 2020 has all gone. Not that it was anything to boast of, it's just that I hate feeling helpless against technology. Theoretically, I could prevent the possible loss of the data stored by the app by synchronizing (is it the right word??) all the Google tools I use - the thing I'm for some reason reluctant to do, don't ask me why.

Now I'm wondering whether I should try some different apps or stick to what I have (or, rather, had).
I get used to GoogleFit's minimalistic simplicity, so perfectly matching my minimalistic requirements: what I need, is just a brief overview of how the week/month's going compared to the previous period - often merely to be reassured once more, that there's still "left some room for improvement" :)

Or, maybe, would it better to say good riddance to all of them - the sooner the better - not to fall into the troublesome obsession with numbers and calculations, that seems to go viral? I hope I'm not the arythmomaniac type, but who knows. I'm afraid many of us might've learnt a bit about themselves lately - enough to be more cautious with any kinds of strong statements or predictions :)
BrandonFrort

Сообщение BrandonFrort »

You have appeared are right. I thank for council how I can thank you?
Ответить