Well, well, well ...and mine, too!

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

I've spent two last evenings of the long holidays listening, my eyes closed, to Michel Thomas's German course for beginners.
I was going to finish it during the days-off and move on to the next items on my list.
Yet, it didn't happen as it turned out that I was much busier during the holidays than I thought I would. And maybe lazier too. So, I'm still on part 3.
It looks like Michel Thomas's course fits ideally for this a bit idlish and slow-paced time of the year, its crucial and seemingly the one and only requirement being to stay relaxed. No note-taking, even no attempts to memorise just a tiny bit - nothing at all. And that's exactly what I am readily doing - no way being lazy or indolent, no! - just following the rules...
A properly conducted experiment so far!
За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарил:
Xander
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

I scheduled my first after-holiday classes for January 9th but the long-awaited day found me ill. And still I am. So I'm busy looking for some new material for my lessons and keep going with Michel Thomas's course, slowly but surely.
When I'm done with all the 8 CDs of his preparatory course I'll listen to them once more, on a higher speed/at a speeded pace/at sped up rate(??), I guess, this time taking notes and trying some sort of dictation. German spelling doesn't seem that much scary at first glance.
And then - off we go.
Oh, that reminds me: number 1 on my to-do list should be to remove a dozen of files, at the very least, from both my laptop and my phone. I badly lack space to fill it with n more M/Gbytes of other stuff, so desperately needed at the moment and so likely to be soon happily laid aside and forgotten...

Have doubts about these "speedy" things.
All corrections/suggestions are welcome )
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

With people changing their forum names at will, how are we supposed to know who is who?
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Just a temporary solution, maybe. My attempt of escapism (?)
Still, others may keep their names but change their behaviour and attitudes. Such a twist...
Even more misguiding, wouldn't you agree?
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

MyTempNick пишет: 10 янв 2019, 18:03 Just a temporary solution, maybe.
To what problem?
MyTempNick пишет: 10 янв 2019, 18:03 Still, others may keep their names but change their behaviour and attitudes.
This is difficult and happens rarely. Besides, we are aware of this possibility. But the change of a name is unusual and therefore perplexing. Much more so on a forum, where we can't see others' appearance. Your name is your only appearance here. It is actually your face. Imagine, in real life, other people changing their faces whenever they feel like that, wouldn't it be confusing?
well well well
Благодарил (а): 423 раза

Сообщение well well well »

Might try replying to the post rather than to the person. Just a thought, don't really have an opinion on the issue.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Uh, I'm back to my thread and to my old habitual self. Surprisingly comforting feeling.
Surprisingly - because I wouldn't agree that
acapnotic пишет: 10 янв 2019, 18:43 Your name is your only appearance here. It is actually your face.
- there is something more than that.
Anyway, I had no intention to lead someone down the garden path: I didn't change my ways and the patterns I usually speak, not even my avatar. No "identity crisis", no mist and mirrors - just came across a new feature Delly wrote about over there and decided to give it a try: Subject: Идеи и предложения
Subject: Идеи и предложения

I'm going on with my German, still adamant on not taking notes. All of a sudden, somewhere at the border of parts 4 and 5 it became much more difficult. Perhaps I should go back and re-listen these parts.

As for my English - with it, no advance at all.
I was seriously planning to enter September's next book course starting on Monday and to enroll in Anastasia's online school as a guinea pig for her teacher-trainees (Chinara wrote about it but her post was a bit misleading) but had to reject both ideas as my eyes still need some rest. Happily, I've got lots of paper English books sitting on the shelves, some fiction included - has their time come? Should I start with OWS, systematically at last? Or, maybe, Pronunciation in Use?
And, not to lose my semi-rooted skill, I will keep writing a passage or two here now and again, trying to stay away from the discussions outside.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

The other day, when I was involved in one of, as always, fruitful discussions, I mentioned a figure depicting the disappointingly high drop-out rate from MOOCs such as Coursera and alike:
Subject: Сколько стоит выучить язык
Mary May пишет: 11 янв 2019, 18:47 ...процент отсева (drop-out rate), т.е., по сути, неуспеха, в МООС чрезвычайно высокий (я видела цифры 87%).
The figure throws into question their general profound effectiveness for everyone**, as opposed to traditional education.
СпойлерПоказать
**...or, maybe, not for everyone but for those only who are under their mid-thirties?
If so, sorry.
Understandable and quite forgivable incomprehension: dementia... Confused and ashamed, shouldn't I limp to the house?..
Far from being a surprise as it is, when expressed in figures, the drop-out rate seems, however, rather striking. It made me revisit my own personal experience with MOOCs, which included a few years of browsing through, taking - now and again - and, rarely, completing some courses at Coursera, FL, edX and less known European Iversity.

During these years I completed abt 10 courses, give or take; even if I wanted to cheat now, and add to this amount 2×3 more (as two of the longest courses I've taken are now divided into four separate parts, and so each could count as 4 now) - still, the total of 15-16 would not be that impressive, compared to the number of those I had enrolled on, but never accomplished or even opened. I had never ever counted these fails of mine or kept a record of them... Provided that my "achievements" corresponded to the average, it would mean that I could have quit abt 85 courses so far! Even if I took a more optimistic view - say, if I were twice as diligent a student as the average one - what would that mean? Still, my "undone" list could reach 50 or so courses - courses that I chose for some reason, that attracted my attention and then, seemingly, lost all their appeal to me, to be ignored and completely forgotten...
Some (if not most?) of them definitely deserve a closer look. Why won't I go through the lists once again and this time choose no more than two of them to re-start?
It may be worth a try.
Belka_Teacher
Belka_Teacher
Благодарил (а): 3869 раз

Сообщение Belka_Teacher »

Mary May, wow, you completed 10! I can boast only of completing Spanish 1 on FutureLearn. I am sooooo lazy(((
За это сообщение автора Belka_Teacher поблагодарил:
Mary May
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Belka_Teacher, actually, it was a result of just one year (Dec 2012 - summer 2013), me swallowing one course after another with the enthusiasm of a newbie.
Since then I've kept browsing the platforms and filling my "basket" with more and more "tasties" but never have done a single of them till the end.
So... You were too kind and I can't accept your compliment.
Thank you, anyway )
Belka_Teacher
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

January is almost over.

Providentially (or simply knowing myself too well), I haven't put any NY resolutions on the list - not to be disappointed. What's the use of self-gnawing and blaming myself... blaming for what? For being what I am? Incurable. An old dog...bla-bla-bla...
Still, though not officially "formulated" as resolutions, there were some sort of plans I had for the month, and for the NY holidays in particular.

The important part of them were related to German, which I, after a string of delays, have started to study on the very last days of the NY/Xmas holidays.
At the moment, I've listened to 7 (out of 8) CDs of Michel Thomas's Foundation course. I've also read and listened to a couple of basic graded readers (kudos to [mention]Литейщик[/mention] and [mention]Akiko[/mention] for the links). My impression after reading and listening is that I recognise most (if not all) of the very limited variety of stems used there, but am completely at a loss with endings and prefixes, both separable and inseparable. Similar is the case with the word order and some syntax structures: quite a few of them ring a bell with me.

Here, I should make it clear: this is not the first time ever I've dealt with German. 15 or 16 years ago, then a complete beginner, I took two one-month-long intensive courses with a good teacher. Now, I feel it as a great help.
After the courses, I read three or four books adapted by Ilya Frank (not adapted, actually; but I don't think I need to go into more detail here).
That was it. Still, a few years later, I was somehow able to drag myself through original German versions of some "second league" museums' websites and even the one of the Deutsche Bahn, as their English versions (if there were any) appeared to be sometimes cut or not updated. But, surely, if only it was possible, I preferred shortcuts - reading and speaking in English.
These were a couple of short 6-8-day trips long ago, and no practice since then (if that can count as practice at all)...
Akiko
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

I've just noticed that haven't been here for almost a month!..
Why so? - Ich habe alle haende voll zu tun.
СпойлерПоказать
- oh, no: that's not the phrase I've just learnt. It's the one I remember from my Shekhter classes years ago and which I'm proudly putting here.
It might be a good idea to apply the same approach to my writing in English too. Why don't I revise/recycle the "old" familiar lexis and practise some newly learnt vocabulary here?
Excellent as it is, the idea doesn't work. Don't know why.
My educated guess - could it be just inertia?Is it merely a highbrow word for just "laziness"?
However, that hasn't stopped me from writing in Russian here, usually on the topics I could've easily avoided and - what is more - the value of my "contribution" to which was next to nothing.

I should fix it somehow. Re-establish the balance.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Juliemiracle пишет: 22 фев 2019, 18:36 gavenkoa,
I don't often watch TV series. I'm more of a film person, I guess :)
I would go even further: I definitely prefer screening to streaming or any other home-based option.

One of the articles I've just read quotes Steven Spielberg, who speaks of the "theatrical experience" as the greatest gift they as filmmakers can give to the audience. He also sadly foresees the bleak future for cinemas. Ironically, almost the same desperate claims and complaints had been made at the dawn of cinematography - and with the same negligible effect, I believe. Still, even realising that at the moment they're suffering sort of a backlash won't turn me away from the "big screen".

Spielberg's recent words were his immediate response to the pre-Oscars/after-BAFTA situation regarding one of odds-on favourites to win a coveted Academy Award.
And that appeared to be the reason why I spent my late morning drinking coffee and reading through the news - looking into the story behind the events.

The direct incentive for me to dive into the news, however, was that I was puzzled.
Looking through the Oscars nominee list today I noticed, to my great surprise, one that had absolutely escaped my attention - the title I'd never met in the cinemas recently, unlike (most of the) other films qualified for the award.
It is a Mexican film Roma nominated in 10 categories, including the most valued (best picture/director/best foreign film). 10 categories! It must be sth outstanding. And still, I hadn't seen the film being screened in cinemas where I live, and that was staggering.

Now I see...
It appeared that the film was produced by Netflix, one of the biggest streaming services that a few years ago turned to film production too, the 2011 Social network being one of their first attempts. They streamed Roma in mid-December worldwide, giving it just a "token" cinema release - which is, I guess, a strict requirement to be qualified for the Oscars.
For example, in the UK the film has been screened in less than 1% of all the theatres. On the other hand - and here I find myself at a loss - in the US, two of their cinema giants are said to have refused to include Roma in their pre-Oscar Best Picture showcases, when they screen all the nominees back to back.
So, is it different in the US and could they, if they only wished, screen the film? Is it really a boycott? Or is it just about the sour grapes?
Which of the options applies here in Russia, I have no idea of. The fact is, the film is not available offline.

Still, the mere fact of little to no screening is not the only accusation Roma and Netflix face. Another blame put on them lies in the field of artistic values - those of cinema as Art.
Roma's critics claim that the reason why they are so unwilling to accept the film is that it was made primarily for TV and was intended to be watched on television rather than on the big screen - and there're loads of difference in the cinematographic language of the two.
Here, I'd tend to agree with them. "Big screen" films lose lots of their appeal and power when watched on TV or computer monitor from the comfort of our homes. And vice versa.
But the film industry figures seem not to notice that the choice is not as binary as they apt to put it - or, do they happen to believe in it? Along with huge multiplex cinema chains, with all the blockbusters and the newly-produced films on screen, there's (still is) a number of smaller, usually independent theatres, with the halls with a capacity of no more than a few dozens of people sometimes. They are no way the main players in the industry and that's why they are so often ignored. They shouldn't be.

Oh, it's so late - it's almost lunch-time
sorry, my Mum's calling me - good bye (as poor kids have to write in their EGE paper)
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Today's the forum's first birthday.
Just 365 days since it was launched - not so long ago. Age of infancy compared to its mature predecessor.
Completely forgot about it amidst yesterday's schisms.
Could we call the first year a draft and give the forum the credit again? Try to?
СпойлерПоказать
I do hate this general "we", believe me.
Still, I'm addressing a few (hopefully) like-minded people. Those who care. And I'm talking about each and everyone's personal choice, not any sort of "collective responsibility".
Look: I'm almost sure it can anyway survive - with or without us. Still, it's (partly, at least) up to us to make it a better place to live.

Actually, the mere fact I'm posting it here, in the semi-privacy of my own thread, rather than somewhere else with more chances for it to be read, makes my appeal almost personal.
Not even an appeal but sort of (self-)reflection maybe.
Trying to convince myself?..
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Mary May пишет: 28 фев 2019, 08:15 Today's the forum's first birthday.
Indeed, happy birthday to the forum. To make it a better place each of us has to change for the better. The problem might be that by doing so you'll make it a better place for others rather than for yourself. Are you ready to make this sacrifice? There is no guarantee we'll respond in kind. Maybe we'll simply take advantage of your better behavior, not even showing that we've noticed your efforts. What then? Will you feel disappointed and decide that in Rome you should do as the Romans do, or even be more Roman that the Romans, to compensate for your unappreciated saintliness? :)
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарили (всего 3):
Yety, Olya, Mary May
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

A few minutes of fun and amusement...
СпойлерПоказать
...and a bitter aftertaste.

hau vood ya lik it?
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

More on the topic:
СпойлерПоказать
#equality
#political correctness
More similar stuff on the author's YouTube channel.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

I'll begin with some disclaimers right from the start.

Firstly, today's video is in Russian, and as such it, technically, breaks the thread rules. That's why I hid it under a spoiler, so that no occasional purist would see it here (that doesn't mean I expect any of them wandering around) )

But that's not the only video's shortcoming. It's also quite old - from the 70s (?) - and the story is well-known too, not nearly catchy, quite repetitive, with the same old things happening to the characters again and again - never to stop, never to break the circle.
Though directed by one of the best Russian animation film-makers, this one is left far behind his other highly-acclaimed works. Indeed, who of us, born and bred in Russia/the ex-USSR don't know or, at least, haven't heard of A Hedgehog in the Fog or of Tale of Tales? If you are such a rare bird who has forgotten about Yury Norstein - just take a look at my avatar)
But this one - no, not so sure many people remember it at all.
СпойлерПоказать

One thing that (humorously) reminded me of the story was the chain of coincidences (or, rather, mismatches?) that kept happening to my students and me. Throughout Jan & Feb, we repeatedly failed to see each other and had to cancel our lessons due to a lot of various reasons - everyone's illnesses, vacations, different appointments and commitments of all imaginable kinds among them.
These series of events have ultimately brought me to a sort of micro-economic crisis ((
But please do relax guys: I'm not the next one in a queue to launch a fundraising campaign to help me stay afloat - no way. Just a(n) inappropriate small talk )
Another reason to post this video - and this really is the reason - is that I just like it a lot and, personally, prefer it to the much more famous ones mentioned above.
Narrated by Innocenty Smoktunovsy in his casual, non-accentuated manner, this story is unbelievably visually appealing: almost monochromatic, drawn delicately but strictly.
What is more, the images bear strong cultural reminiscence: from Far-Eastern-like long grass to "classical" ruins - the columns not of marble, though, but revealing their wooden and clay(?) underneath.
So beautiful and so heartbreaking. Charm of desolation.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

To follow my long-established tradition - some complaining and whining, for starters )
СпойлерПоказать
My today's morning started with snow falling down from bleak and colorless sky.
The weather didn't seem very appealing - the same view for months already and, maybe, for days ahead.
The scene  reminded me  of an advertisement that I saw a few days ago - one about Andrew Walker's short seminar in Baku. It must be great to flee there this time of the year from grey and cold Moscow.
Subject: Семинары, выставки, конференции и прочие события
About Andrew Walkley
СпойлерПоказать
Andrew is Hugh Dellar's co-author and co-worker; in collaboration, they have written a book on Lexical Approach for teachers and three courses so far (Innovations, Outcomes 1st and 2nd ed, and Perspectives (not all levels??)). Together, they are running a language school in London - London Lexical Lab.

https://www.lexicallab.com/
https://www.facebook.com/HughDellarAndrewWalkley/
https://eltngl.com/search/showresults.d ... Page=false
https://my-shop.ru/shop/books/3266317.h ... G8QAvD_BwE

I really hate having to introduce A. that way because it's merely not fair, him being an equal partner and contributor to every single thing they do together. Hugh in his talks never stops underlining the fact.

BTW, it's a sound example to another thread here - about whether or not an introvert can make a good teacher - and my answer is, certainly, YES. Even a great one. Still, it's a piece of luck if an introvert person has someone more outgoing as a partner there for him, to give a hand with the promotion.
About Onara
СпойлерПоказать
I know Andrew from Onara seminars and I can't help remembering with gratitude its then-director Vyacheslav (Slava) Potapchuck. It was he who first brought Hugh Dellar to Russia. Now Russia's become one of the most frequent Hugh's destinations, his seminars always being fully-booked here.
Slava definitely was not a "person of business": he just obviously enjoyed what he was doing and couldn't hide his love for the language, either.
Seminars held by Onara used to be "аттракционы невиданной щедрости" - starting with their price policy and ending with the marvellous gifts every participant would get.
I do hope my words won't sound like an epitaph or sth like this - if they do, it's just due to my poor wording - because, happily, it's not the case; Slava just has stepped aside, unable to compete with the tougher rivals in the field. And I do wish him all the best (and hope he'll never read it because I'm too shy of my language compared to his, which is really brilliant).
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

What a fine and warm day was yesterday - people unzipping/unbuttoning their coats, putting on their sunglasses, enjoying the sun - the first one, maybe, in a long row of wintry March days.
Now it's snowing. Again.
Oh, how bitterly true Mikka was:
mikka пишет: 25 дек 2018, 12:22
Заур пишет: 25 дек 2018, 11:23 я живу в католической Испании, и сейчас со всех сторон мне в глаза и уши вливается именно та чушь, о которой я написал.
Бог мой!
Вас срочно надо в Питер в ноябрь-декабрь на перевоспитание)))
Вот не увидите солнца пару мес, сразу полюбите все праздники мира😄
Or, do my complaints sound exactly the same as Zaur's to the ears of those who live in the far North?
If so - my apologies ) It is colours that I miss so desperately during this time of the year - even more than the warmth.

My "personal answer" for the next winter's inevitable challenge will be a reddish coat I've just bought )
Brighter colours to keep me brighter and not to add to the blackness of winter city crowd - for all these dark blue-and-green-and-brown-and-grey together still make joy-killing BLACK.

BTW,[mention]Juliemiracle[/mention]:
СпойлерПоказать
online shopping could be a sound option for "shopophobes": for example, last Friday it took me just about 30-35 min to find my way through a really huge shopping mall (Aviapark - they say, the biggest in Europe; and, yes, it looks like an airline hub), to try four pre-ordered pieces of clothes on and be back at the metro station with two of them )
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Mary May,
I do buy some stuff online, but I can't bring myself to choose clothes there. Somehow I can't quite figure out what it's going to look like IRL, and if I really want to try it on or not. The colours differ as well, and you can't feel the fabric, and it's hard to tell (even if you get the size right) if the cut's going to be complimentary. But I'm working on it :) I managed to buy myself a T-shirt online (this one https://colamaga.com/product/im-an-engl ... -shirt-cl/), and I'm lovin' it :)
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

Juliemiracle,
see your Tee and raise you this
a bit expensiver, though )
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
Juliemiracle
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

tourist,
see your Tee and raise you this
a bit expensiver, though )
:)) I've seen this print before.
Oh, I didn't order mine from that site, I just found the pic with my print there. My T-shirt could've been more/less expensiver :) I'm hopeless at remembering numbers.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Subject: Некоторые вопросы от hoz
tourist пишет: 09 апр 2019, 00:19
Mary May пишет: 08 апр 2019, 21:51 Anybody knows?
this ?
Thank you.

Here, too: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1285708.stm

I'd like to find more examples of "classic British understatement".
Does anything else come to mind?
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
Mary May
Ответить