Well, well, well ...and mine, too!

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

Oh, so silly of me... asking silly questions as if there's no Google.
A bit tired, maybe ((

my findings:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/expresident/gr ... f-all-time
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Can't believe it really happened.
Couldn't believe it even when watching live-streaming yesterday.
Can't accept it.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/15/euro ... index.html
Johnwesleyhardin
Благодарил (а): 44 раза

Сообщение Johnwesleyhardin »

Mary May пишет: 16 апр 2019, 10:23 Can't believe it really happened.
Couldn't believe it even when watching live-streaming yesterday.
Can't accept it.
https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/15/euro ... index.html
I heard main parts of the building had survived, so maybe it can be renovated
За это сообщение автора Johnwesleyhardin поблагодарил:
Mary May
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

Mary May пишет: 16 апр 2019, 10:23 Can't believe it really happened.

Same here, just can't wrap my mind around it. They'll fix it, of course, but still... It was just SUCH a special place...
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
Mary May
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

It was just SUCH a special place...
Yes,been there twice,impressive.
maybe it can be renovated
It was in the process of being renovated when the fire started.

I'm not into conspiracy theories, but what are the odds of this happening
during Easter week in a Christian building of such importance?
Dozen of of attacks (including arson) on churches in France in the last month alone.
Coincidence? You tell me..
September 11 ? Anyone ?
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

tourist пишет: 16 апр 2019, 14:32 It was in the process of being renovated when the fire started.
It was; and so, luckily, 16 its statues were removed from there just four days before the disaster and are hopefully safe:

(trying to somehow ease the pain)

tourist пишет: 16 апр 2019, 14:32 I'm not into conspiracy theories, but...
It looks like you are...
It will be thoroughly investigated; yet, whatever the results are, many people will keep cherishing the idea of Muslim involvement, I guess.

13 months ago:
СпойлерПоказать
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

pain ??
c'mon , we all feel a bit sentimental occasionally .. but pain, really ? )
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Love Gothic so much.
French, in particular.
Especially French - best of all!
mustang
Благодарил (а): 926 раз

Сообщение mustang »

Come on. Is it really that big of a deal? Just a pile of perfectly polished rocks arranged into an awe-inspiring stone structure. Some even go as far as to claim that it will never be restored to its former glory and its destruction is a tremendous loss not only for the French but for the entire humanity... I even saw the pictures of crying people kneeling in front of the burning cathedral, praying …

For GOD’S SAKE, all religious buildings, no matter how great their cultural value is, are just fucking buildings, yes, some of them are decorated with colossal statues, sacred crosses, massive paintings, life-giving icons and all that shiny stuff that is specifically designed to strike fear in the hearts of the pious and make them feel utterly powerless and insignificant but they (buildings) still are and will always be (at least from my point of view) pretty much worthless compared to human life.

The glorified places of worship , I think, can be destroyed and built from scratch one thousand times over while human lives are precious - once you are dead, you are dead forever. So I don’t really care about some building being burnt to the ground but I am really glad that no one died in the fire.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

mustang, your passionate enmity against God might blind your mind and reasoning, i'm afraid...
За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарил:
Philipp
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

all religious buildings, no matter how great their cultural value is, are just fucking buildings,
The glorified places of worship
yeah,diamonds ,on the other hand,are forever ))
mustang

Сообщение mustang »

Mary May пишет: 16 апр 2019, 17:22 mustang, your passionate enmity against God might blind your mind and reasoning, i'm afraid...
No, I just think there's too much buzz about burning buildings while no one is really willing to address far more serious problems. And I do not hate God, how can I hate him, her, it if I do not believe he/she/it exists? What I really cannot stand is people acting crazy for no good reason.
mustang

Сообщение mustang »

tourist пишет: 16 апр 2019, 17:28 yeah,diamonds ,on the other hand,are forever ))
Sparkling rubies the size of the pope's head? I guess he and his sidekicks buy them for religious purposes. They are as dark red as Jesus' blood. You can't really blame them for their devotion to religion.
Easy-Breezy English

mustang, have you been there? It’s unlike any other place I have ever seen. There’s definitely this strong feeling of a Presence there. Coming from a nonreligious person like me, that’s saying a lot. If nothing else, it serves to show what humans are capable of accomplishing when they are not too busy trying to exterminate each other or destroy the planet.
mustang

Сообщение mustang »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 16 апр 2019, 18:02 this strong feeling of a Presence there.
Oh, shit:). Better keep my mouth shut:).
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

mustang пишет: 16 апр 2019, 17:52
You can't really blame them for their devotion to religion.
of course not
btw,they are never late to pray for us,mere mortals )

PS
I mentioned diamonds because they "have an intrinsic" value and not just a result of a century of De Beers' brainwashing and market manipulations.
As opposed to weather-polished cathedrals stones you mentioned ) [/sarcasm]
Последний раз редактировалось tourist 16 апр 2019, 19:05, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 16 апр 2019, 18:02 There’s definitely this strong feeling of a Presence there. Coming from a nonreligious person
I'm as non-religious as it gets.
But the only place I felt the Presence, whatever that means
was in Jerusalem..and nowhere else,ever [/sentiment]
Xander
Благодарил (а): 47 раз

Сообщение Xander »

mustang пишет: 16 апр 2019, 17:29 No, I just think there's too much buzz about burning buildings while no one is really willing to address far more serious problems.
Which, incidentally, have most likely been sidelined by the accident, and by the media. At least for some days ...
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

So I stumbled across this 'joke' on Reddit yesterday:

"Fire is destroying a world famous landmark in Paris right now. And there's notre dame thing they can do about it." (с)

Not true, in fact.
mustang

Сообщение mustang »

Mary May,

Ленья
Благодарил (а): 662 раза

Сообщение Ленья »

mustang пишет: 16 апр 2019, 17:14 Come on. Is it really that big of a deal? Just a pile of perfectly polished rocks...
It couldn't be that places-of-worship were "shrouded in mystery" for no apparent reason.
In my youth, as a member of the Student Ethnographic Society, I would volunteer for various events related to history. Taking part in an archaeological dig, I came across something difficult to explain. We supposedly were dealing with remains of a medieval temple. One day a group of ‘bold locals’ arrived for a showdown. It is worth adding that their vehicle was horse-drawn. Needless to say, their only intention was to beat the living daylights out of me and my friends. No sooner had I come to terms with the thought of being walloped than a strange thing happened. As their cart approached closer to us, the horse reared up and its whinny was truly devilish. I’d never seen so terrible a fright in people’s eyes before. One of the "thugs" muttered ‘Grandma had told me that there was something spooky about this place’ or something to that effect. And they dashed back in genuine fear.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

mustang, if you're blaming me personally - it's a wrong number.
Where I live, there are activists volunteering to protect/prevent/raise awareness/raise funds... whatever, and I sometimes take part in their actions:
Www.archnadzor.ru
You are welcome to join too.
Or are you more in naming and blaming those who see Paris events as their personal tragedy?
Well, it's easier - as you yourself said.

Or, for muscovites locally, moskva-kotoroy-net.
Xander пишет: 16 апр 2019, 23:25
mustang пишет: 16 апр 2019, 17:29 No, I just think there's too much buzz about burning buildings while no one is really willing to address far more serious problems.
Which, incidentally, have most likely been sidelined by the accident, and by the media. At least for some days ...
Yes, today, at least, it keeps grabbing the headlines...
Johnwesleyhardin пишет: 16 апр 2019, 12:57
I heard main parts of the building had survived, so maybe it can be renovated.
You are right.
And what is a... relief, if you can say so, is that its iconic West (?) facade's remained intact - the one that faces the acute angle of the isle .

*I failed to find the exact word for this; even in Russian, стрелка seems <to me> to be rather a part of some specific toponyms, like стрелка Васильевского острова, Стрелка Красного Октября than a widely-used accepted term.
Anyone knows? Both in Russian and in English.

** Oh, renovation is a really scary word; we here are aware of it too well ((

My special thanks to tourist for marking sarcasm in his posts: being hopelessly Sheldon-ish, I often struggle to grasp it)

[mention]Ленья[/mention] , genius loci protected you )
Easy-Breezy English

Mary May пишет: 17 апр 2019, 12:53
I failed to find the exact word for this; even in Russian, стрелка seems <to me> to be rather a part of some specific toponyms, like стрелка Васильевского острова, Стрелка Красного Октября than a widely-used accepted term.
Anyone knows? Both in Russian snd in English.
I think spit is fine here.

They lead down to the Square du Vert-Galant, a spit of land at the westernmost tip of the island.
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
Mary May
Olya
Благодарил (а): 159 раз

Сообщение Olya »

The world will preserve the character of Paris and restore the cathedral. But I agree with those who are asking today about numerous ill-fated Russian churches doomed to disappear.
Don't you think it is inequitable and unjust? When it comes to our own historical heritage we should take the first opportunity to help it. This should be cause for concern!
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

May 25th was supposed to be day four of the week-long getaway I'd so long awaited. But... still here! A bit upset...
But as every cloud should have a silver lining, you merely sometines have to put a bit of time and effort to reveal it.
I'm working on it.
I'm close to finding the one (or two, or three...) ))
Ответить