Improving Students’ Learning With Effective Learning Techniques: Promising Directions From Cognitive and Educational Psy

Как начать изучать язык с нуля, какой метод изучения языка выбрать, получить рекомендации по самостоятельному изучению языка, обсудить другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

gavenkoa
Благодарил (а): 3100 раз

Сообщение gavenkoa »

http://www.indiana.edu/~pcl/rgoldsto/co ... arning.pdf

Improving Students’ Learning With Effective Learning Techniques: Promising Directions From Cognitive and Educational Psychology (2013) says:
A main goal of this monograph was to develop evidence-based recommendations for teachers and students about the relative utility of various learning techniques.
Key point is table 4 on page 45:
High Utility:

Practice testing - Self-testing or taking practice tests over to-be-learned material
Distributed practice - Implementing a schedule of practice that spreads out study activities over time

Moderate Utility:

Interleaved practice - Implementing a schedule of practice that mixes different kinds of problems, or a schedule of study that mixes different kinds of material, within a single study session
Self-explanation - Explaining how new information is related to known information, or explaining steps taken during problem solving
Elaborative interrogation - Generating an explanation for why an explicitly stated fact or concept is true

Low Utility:

Rereading - Restudying text material again after an initial reading
Imagery use for text learning - Attempting to form mental images of text materials while reading or listening
The keyword mnemonic - Using keywords and mental imagery to associate verbal materials
Highlighting - Marking potentially important portions of to-be-learned materials while reading
Summarization - Writing summaries (of various lengths) of to-be-learned texts
За это сообщение автора gavenkoa поблагодарил:
Yety
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

So working on real tasks and distributing work over the time are your best friends!

Rereading same staff or coloring your textbook do not perform as well ))
Eager Beaver
Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

gavenkoa пишет: 14 янв 2019, 02:57 Practice testing - Self-testing or taking practice tests over to-be-learned material
Distributed practice - Implementing a schedule of practice that spreads out study activities over time
These are basically the two principles behind Anki (they are called active recall testing and spaced repetition).
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарил:
gavenkoa
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

Sounds strange to me.

Their first list ("high utility") is rather vague and is much less defined than the two others.
The authors do not specify what "distributed practice" should/can really imply. I do understand that the table is just an outline but they go into far more detail with the 2nd and the 3rd, as if they seem to be far more aware of "don'ts" than "dos".

In fact, if you follow their logic, why can't ANY activity be made "highly effective" just if spread over time?
Including (most of) those tagged as "less effective"? (With the obvious exception of the one that implies doing different things "in one go" and thus contradicts the "spreading" - "that mixes different kinds of material, within a single study session").

Besides, I rather doubt that tests are the best tools for studying. Aren't they just tests?
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Mary May пишет: 14 янв 2019, 11:48 Besides, I rather doubt that tests are the best tools for studying. Aren't they just tests?
No one substitutes initial learning with pure tests. They referenced to experiment where tests were taken after initial learning and that improved retention. There are questions about experiment's methodology (like time period was only two week long and we are more interested in life long retention).

Tests have significant impact on knowledge retention while rereading hasn't for instance. Good to know this. I had tendency to reread my past notes but it is better just to keep going ))
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Mary May, there is knowledge and then there is the illusion of knowledge. Tests help you figure out whether you actually know the material or you just believe that you do. It is a well known cognitive bias. When it comes to English, it's important to make yourself say and write newly learned words or expressions, for example, to see if you can use them confidently. Otherwise, you can just think or feel that you can, but when you decide to use them, you find yourself in trouble cause either the shades of meaning escape you, or you don't remember what other words or grammar go with your target words. The same way "tests" work when done over time: you shouldn't just go over your vocab cards, instead you should actively retrieve what you've learned about what's on the other side of the card (and probably build on it by creating more sentences, adding and learning more collocates, etc.). Otherwise, your brain might just lie to you. I'd flicked through my decks thousands of times - just reading both sides - before I realised that it had very little effect on my learning.
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарили (всего 2):
Zlatko_Berrin, gavenkoa
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Exactly.
Tests, they... test. And that's why they are necessary - and you really needn't convince me of that )
What you are talking about, though, is more about putting in practice what you have learned.

Or, is it just a broader idea of what tests are?
If so, can't agree more.

BTW, guys, wouldn't anyone
like to read together Barbara Oakley's books on "learning how to learn"?
There was a suggestion to do it months ago, but the idea somehow... dissipated.
You can search this forum for more details and links - sorry, can't insert links at the moment, not very convenient...
Последний раз редактировалось Mary May 14 янв 2019, 13:17, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Mary May, I just tried to elaborate a little on the High Utility techniques.
Zlatko_Berrin
Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

gavenkoa пишет: 14 янв 2019, 02:57 Practice testing - Self-testing or taking practice tests over to-be-learned material
I think that, despite this technique is of high utility, practice testing is quite an easy practice because you are given several options to choose among. Those, of course, include one right option which you might be familiar with, that is, it isn't that difficult to select the right one.
My point is that open questions are better for memorizing information because you really make you brain work hard, which leads to a better memorization of the information you need to remember in the long run.
Последний раз редактировалось Zlatko_Berrin 14 янв 2019, 13:21, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

Zlatko_Berrin, actually, we don't know what the authors mean speaking of tests.

You are talking abt so-called multiple choice quizzes which is just one of the variety of different kinds of tests.

I added sth into my previous post...
Последний раз редактировалось Mary May 14 янв 2019, 13:28, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
За это сообщение автора Mary May поблагодарил:
Zlatko_Berrin
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 14 янв 2019, 13:16 I think that, despite this technique is of high utility, practice testing are quite an easy practice because you are given several options to choose among. Those, of course, include one right option which you might be familiar with, that is, it isn't that difficult to select the right one.
My reckoning is practice testing is not necessarily about multiple-choice questions. It's more about being able to actively retrieve the information that you've studied and apply it:
If you learned a new math concept - you should be able to apply it to solve a new kind of math problems.
If you studied a chapter on history - you should be able to easily recall both the key points and the details, analyze the material, compare and draw parallels with what you already know, easily see causes and consequences.
So, I guess, "practice" was added to "practice testing" for a reason.
gavenkoa
Zlatko_Berrin

Mary May пишет: 14 янв 2019, 12:55 BTW, guys, wouldn't anyone
Well, I seem to have read all the Internet on the topic)) Does the book suggest anything original and new?
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

No idea (
Oh, bookS was a typo; just one book; and there's a Coursera course based on it.
Zlatko_Berrin

Eager Beaver пишет: 14 янв 2019, 13:27 to actively retrieve the information
Yes, you might have noticed that I have the same point of view. I believe I've already talked about retrieving and its utility.
Zlatko_Berrin

gavenkoa пишет: 14 янв 2019, 03:03 Rereading same staff or coloring your textbook
Sometimes, these ones are my 'bads'.)
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 14 янв 2019, 13:35 Yes, you might have noticed that I have the same point of view. I believe I've already talked about retrieving and its utility.
That is why I just commented on the half of your post, the one I quoted. :)
Zlatko_Berrin
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

I watched this video some time ago:

I believe this is the Barbara.
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарили (всего 2):
gavenkoa, Mary May
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 14 янв 2019, 13:30 Does the book suggest anything original and new?
I find this list practical (and obvious in same time): https://www.supermemo.com/en/articles/20rules

At least it is short (2 min of reading if you look to keypoints)
За это сообщение автора gavenkoa поблагодарили (всего 2):
Zlatko_Berrin, Mary May
Xander
Благодарил (а): 47 раз

Сообщение Xander »

gavenkoa пишет: 14 янв 2019, 02:57 High Utility:
Practice testing - Self-testing or taking practice tests over to-be-learned material
It's quite unclear what is meant by practice testing, and how and why it can help. So I'll try to hypothesize a bit.
I'm sure that testing on its own is absolutely useless. You have to learn something first. Say, you want to write a cause&effect paragraph. You study how to do that, read memorable examples, pick up some useful strategies, and hope that you'll remember something next week.
To boost the learning effect you can:
- repeat the same steps one more time (re-reading)
- test yourself by answering specifically designed questions, doing writing assignments, having a quiz; discuss the strategies with someone else

It's rather obvious that the latter is much more effective, because you apply something you learnt to new situations.
За это сообщение автора Xander поблагодарил:
Mary May
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Eager Beaver пишет: 14 янв 2019, 13:42 I believe this is the Barbara.
It is interesting that she talks about the same things as in article (about high value of testing and recalling of knowledge, useless of text underlining, relative usefulness of mind maps etc).

And she is actual scientist and base her conclusions based on factual data rather than expert opinion or own experience.

She made a MOOC: https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn (free option available!)

and had TED-x:
За это сообщение автора gavenkoa поблагодарил:
Mary May
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Xander пишет: 14 янв 2019, 14:51 It's quite unclear what is meant by practice testing, and how and why it can help.
Original article has 7 pages on this subject (starting from page 29). I didn't have time to read but there is a section:
8.1 General description of practice testing and why it should work.
Xander
Благодарил (а): 47 раз

Сообщение Xander »

gavenkoa пишет: 14 янв 2019, 15:00 I didn't have time to read but there is a section
So, just like me you have little idea how to interpret this information. ))
gavenkoa пишет: 14 янв 2019, 15:00 Original article has 7 pages on this subject (starting from page 29).
Thanks, but it's TMI. I already skimmed it, but nothing outstanding caught my eye.
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Xander пишет: 14 янв 2019, 14:51 To boost the learning effect you can:
- repeat the same steps one more time (re-reading)
- test yourself by answering specifically designed questions, doing writing assignments, having a quiz; discuss the strategies with someone else
Article pointed that effect from rereading is nearly invisible. Again it haven't got into details yet but throwing "dumb re-reading" can be important time saver (according to study).

I still have questions during tests even after reading supporting material. Need to read more critical or just relay on practical needs instead of learning a lot in advance...
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Как вы себе представляете совместное прочтение?
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Mary May пишет: 14 янв 2019, 12:55 like to read together Barbara Oakley's books on "learning how to learn"?
Недавно в новостях увидел "знакомое" лицо (по курсу на Coursera,за который взялся): https://life.pravda.com.ua/society/2019/01/15/235057/ - интервью с автором.

Наверно связано с публикацией перевода на украинский (магазин издателя, не обязательно лучшая цена): https://nashformat.ua/products/navchyty ... vnu-709140
Ответить