Austrian girl with CPE A (Speaking - 219)

Подготовка и впечатления от сдачи экзамена. Помощь в разборе письменных работ. выбор и обсуждение необходимых материалов. Cambridge English (CPE, CAE, FCE ect.), IELTS, TOEFL и другие.

Модератор: mikka

Eager Beaver
Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

September пишет: 06 янв 2019, 19:22 Why would you say that? 0-0 It does help. Enormously so. I'm lucky to be working with motivated and smart advanced students, and that's a huge incentive for me to work harder on my own level.
I must have completely misunderstood the part I quoted, sorry. Now I see what you meant. :)
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарил:
September
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Olya пишет: 06 янв 2019, 23:48 If we find that we know little about the subject we cannot specify precisely what we want to express. Soon it becomes obvious that good language skills don't necessarily depend on the number of idioms, phrasal verbs, collocations, etc.
But you can always talk around topics, ask questions, that is elicit information that you can build on. It's not necessary to always give your "long turn" (afair, this is the exam term).
Olya
Благодарил (а): 159 раз

Сообщение Olya »

Eager Beaver пишет: 07 янв 2019, 12:04
Olya пишет: 06 янв 2019, 23:48 If we find that we know little about the subject we cannot specify precisely what we want to express. Soon it becomes obvious that good language skills don't necessarily depend on the number of idioms, phrasal verbs, collocations, etc.
But you can always talk around topics, ask questions, that is elicit information that you can build on. It's not necessary to always give your "long turn" (afair, this is the exam term).
Look! Are you aware how difficult it is even in your mother tongue? )
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Olya пишет: 07 янв 2019, 14:02 Are you aware how difficult it is even in your mother tongue? )
As a matter of fact I'm not.
It's difficult to talk about an unfamiliar topic when neither you nor the person you are talking to has anything to say, at all. Otherwise, you can find bits of information to catch hold of and then use as a starting point for discussion. If at least one of you is well-versed in a subject matter, it will be way easier to keep the conversation going.
alanta
Благодарил (а): 545 раз

Сообщение alanta »

Eager Beaver пишет: 06 янв 2019, 15:58
alanta пишет: 06 янв 2019, 01:02 "natives might not even know the word "idiom", much less can they be bothered using any just for the sake of it."
The part I underlined is one of many reasons why sometimes a text written by non-native speakers looks weird to native speakers of the language.
Native speakers use idioms all the time, I dare say much more profusely than any non-native speakers. But they seem to be used appropriately - there's usually no "WHAAT?" reaction from me when I see an email stuffed with cool stuff to the brim because everything is to the point. This is not usually the case with non-natives.
Often when I'm reading a post on this forum and see an idiom it goes like this:

- the first scenario: "Oh it's an idiom. I know it... but... hmm... well, it seems the usage is correct... but somethung is off, it stands out somehow...brrr..., I'm not a native speaker after all -- how would I know?.."

- the second scenario: "Idiom. I've never seen or heard it. It's probably been taken from some prep book." After looking up the idiom in Google. "It seems I guessed the meaning right, but what's it doing here anyway? Does he/she really know what it means?.. Hmm..."

It's a bit a joke, of course)) but... The thing is that many people on this forum write in a different kind of English than native speakers do. Even the ones who write well and even have passed a C1-C2 exam. I've seen, I see it practically every day, how educated natives write. And btw, usually it's a very comfortable read for me even if there are a couple of new words in the text.
Olya

Сообщение Olya »

Eager Beaver пишет: 07 янв 2019, 14:35
As a matter of fact I'm not.
It's difficult to talk about an unfamiliar topic when neither you nor the person you are talking to has anything to say
If you don't like the conversation you'll find someone else to talk with.)
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Olya пишет: 07 янв 2019, 16:28 If you don't like the conversation you'll find someone else to talk with.)
A less radical solution would be to talk about something else.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

alanta пишет: 07 янв 2019, 15:52 The thing is that many people on this forum write in a different kind of English than native speakers do.
I don't think this problem is somehow indigenous to this forum. :) Ultimately, every English learner writes in their own variety of English. But I do agree with you that some posts here resemble authentic English more than others. Mine don't. Yet. But I'm working on it.
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарил:
Mary May
alanta
Благодарил (а): 545 раз

Сообщение alanta »

Eager Beaver пишет: 07 янв 2019, 17:41
alanta пишет: 07 янв 2019, 15:52 The thing is that many people on this forum write in a different kind of English than native speakers do.
I don't think this problem is somehow indigenous to this forum. :) Ultimately, every English learner writes in their own variety of English. But I do agree with you that some posts here resemble authentic English more than others. Mine don't. Yet. But I'm working on it.
I brought this forum up as an example because we both are here :). And I think my own English has the same flaws. My post was meant like a warning -- watch out! don't spend too much time with non-natives to not pick up their mistakes and all that non-nativeness. Another joke but with a grain of truth in it ;)).
Olya

Сообщение Olya »

Eager Beaver пишет: 07 янв 2019, 17:35
Olya пишет: 07 янв 2019, 16:28 If you don't like the conversation you'll find someone else to talk with.)
A less radical solution would be to talk about something else.
In reality, the way you start your conversation with others plays a huge role in its development. On the other hand, why should people try and talk with those who don't share their interests so the topic cannot be changed very easily.
Nelli
Благодарил (а): 92 раза

Сообщение Nelli »

Eager Beaver, the author of the video speaks very fluently and confidently, but I think that we shouldn't compare prepared (and possibly rehearsed/edited) materials with the performance during the actual test. Another thing is that what we see in the video is a monologue, while CPE tests your ability to maintain a conversation (discourse markers, turn-taking skills, attention to your interlocutor, etc). In addition, fast and seemingly mistake-free speech does not necessarily equal speaking proficiency. The test requires you to demonstrate the knowledge of a wide range of vocabulary, and you have only one chance and about ten measly minutes to do so. Finally, we should take into consideration the fact that the performance is scored by humans, so there is inevitably some subjectivity. So, in a nutshell, a number of factors may have contributed to the discrepancy between her score and what you see in the video.
Ответить