CPE Writing

Подготовка и впечатления от сдачи экзамена. Помощь в разборе письменных работ. выбор и обсуждение необходимых материалов. Cambridge English (CPE, CAE, FCE ect.), IELTS, TOEFL и другие.

Модератор: mikka

paveltashkinov
Благодарил (а): 318 раз

Сообщение paveltashkinov »

Eager Beaver,
You have made a valid point.
I seem to have had it all and struck the balance between my academic aspirations, linguistic endeavours, part-time jobs here and there, and fun and gaiety. I often cast my mind back to the halcyon days of my two last years in university. So blithe, so full of discoveries, so empowering.
My academic subjects were a plain sailing, though, because I had always been passionate about chemistry and definitely gone places. With that kind of aptitude, it was definitely easy for me to focus my attention on the language without having to hammer out some compromises elsewhere.
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

paveltashkinov пишет: 11 май 2019, 16:01 Eager Beaver,
You have made a valid point.
I seem to have had it all and struck the balance between my academic aspirations, linguistic endeavours, part-time jobs here and there, and fun and gaiety. I often cast my mind back to the halcyon days of my two last years in university. So blithe, so full of discoveries, so empowering.
My academic subjects were a plain sailing, though, because I had always been passionate about chemistry and definitely gone places. With that kind of aptitude, it was definitely easy for me to focus my attention on the language without having to hammer out some compromises elsewhere.
Pavel, here's a good example of this haughty register being completely out of place. Can you find something a little less pompous than "cast my mind back to the halcyon days" ... filled with gaiety?
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарили (всего 2):
paveltashkinov, tourist
paveltashkinov

Easy-Breezy English,
You see, that's how I perceive it. Perhaps, I am just attaching too much significance to otherwise seemingly inconsequential events.)
Easy-Breezy English

paveltashkinov пишет: 11 май 2019, 16:14 Easy-Breezy English,
You see, that's how I perceive it. Perhaps, I am just attaching too much significance to otherwise seemingly inconsequential events.)
When you talk like that in a casual chat, you end up sounding like some weird cross between an aging British lord, an English teacher and an aspiring Valley Girl on occasion. It's just ... off.
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарили (всего 2):
tourist, paveltashkinov
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

paveltashkinov,
Could I have a word too?
Not about your "lexical resource", surely - it's far beyond my competence - but rather to share some thoughts about coherence and cohesion?
If YES, then later in the evening )
paveltashkinov

Mary May, sure!
paveltashkinov

Write about the following topic:
Some people believe that the advent of economical air travel has been very beneficial by making international travel more accessible, while others argue that it has had a very negative impact.
Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.
Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own experience if need be.

Has the advent of low-cost air travel made international travel more accessible, or has it had a negative impact?
Up until very recently, economical air travel sounded like an oxymoron. Even a few decades ago, flights were seen as a privilege of the chosen ones. It was the emergence of low-cost airlines that heralded the advent of the air travel affordable for everyone. Were it not for the extreme affordability of low-cost flights, we would not be witnessing a recent spike in travelling to different destinations across the globe.
Be that as it may, many people have raised their concerns about the feasibility of low-cost flights. However cheap the tickets may be, this affordability comes at a price. More often than not, flying on a budget and flying comfortably are poles apart. Indeed, budget airlines are notorious for their Draconian regulations, lack of leg room, and baggage restrictions. To get the comfort and service comparable to those expected of a regular flight, passengers would have to pay extra fees. In so doing, they undermine the feasibility and purpose of low-cost flights.
Economical air travel has firmly secured its niche on the airfare market, and it is definitely here to stay. Since there are going to be a lot of people wishing to make their travelling experience as budget-friendly as possible, low-cost flights will not lose their appeal any time soon. Although less convenient than their regular counterparts, low-cost flights offer good value for money and help millions of people travel extensively.
Easy-Breezy English

paveltashkinov пишет: 11 май 2019, 12:49 Изображение
    The graph below shows passenger revenue in $M and the percentage of trains arriving on time for a train company, Cruiseline, for each quarter of a two-year period, 2005-2006.
      Using the information from the graph, write a short report describing the passenger revenue and the percentage of trains arriving on time during the two-year period.
      Pavel, didn't you have to make some kind of conclusion about the correlation between these two parameters? Like, that people are more likely to use trains if they run on time? I'd think it's the whole point of this task, no?
      paveltashkinov

Easy-Breezy English,
      It was only after you posted your questions that I looked up some sample tasks for this exam. Looks like you're right.
      https://www.cambridge-exams.ch/sites/de ... riting.pdf
      Easy-Breezy English

Also, there appears to be a lag of about one quarter between changes in the performance and the number of tickets sold. It seems that it takes people some time to realize that trains are running better and adjust their purchasing behavior accordingly.

I would certainly talk about those tendencies in my report. As is, your text is just describing the picture… The analysis is conspicuously missing.
      So this task might not be so easy after all, huh? :-)
      За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
      paveltashkinov
      Zlatko_Berrin
      Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

Eager Beaver пишет: 11 май 2019, 15:49 University years are likely to be the best years of your life
      Oh believe me they are not. Of course, I'll remember them, but it's hard to get new experiences, meet new people, and visit new places, studying at a local university in a small town, especially when there are three students (the three who (almost) always attend classes) in your academic group (the total number of students in the group is 6). Besides, they don't live in my town. Well, I have a couple of close friends, but here it's almost impossible to find new people who have the same interests as mine. So I find an outlet in English.
      I'm not complaining at all although now I must be making such an impression)
      Now I'm on the verge of (oh, I've come across this phrase at least 9 time this week)) the next academic step - getting my master's degree. I may enter a university in another city so I may meet new people there. The bigger city is, the more opportunities you can have, the more people you have something in common with.
      Easy-Breezy English

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 12 май 2019, 13:08 getting my master's degree. I may enter a university in another city so I may meet new people there.
      Have you considered applying to some place in Europe? There also used to be these awesome programs that would get you into US universities for free, living expenses included, but I don't know about now...
      За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
      paveltashkinov
      paveltashkinov

Easy-Breezy English,
      I'll second that.
      Zlatko_Berrin,
      Moving abroad to pursue your academic career is definitely worth trying and aiming for. Far be it from me to tell you what to do, but I'd consider this option.
      Eager Beaver
      Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Zlatko_Berrin,
      Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 12 май 2019, 13:08 especially when there are three students (the three who (almost) always attend classes) in your academic group (the total number of students in the group is 6).
      Personal tuition is not something easily affordable in top universities. ;)

Anyways, I agree with Easy-Breezy English in that you should consider universities in Europe and the US. There is ample opportunity to study for free or get financial aid, and your English is good enough to study anything (finance was it, right?) in it.
      Eager Beaver
      Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 12 май 2019, 13:08 I must be making such an impression
      You are not giving this impression (you know the difference, don't you?).
      paveltashkinov

Write an essay about the following topic.
      With the increasing use and development of new technology, many machines are now able to do the work which people used to perform.
      What are the advantages and disadvantages of this trend?
      Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own experience.

The advent of the conveyor belt more than a century ago ushered in the era of automation. Nowadays, machines are designed to perform the operations which used to be done manually. The essay below outlines the advantages and disadvantages of this trend.
      Above all, automation seems to have drastically reduced operating costs across all industries. Not only are machines more efficient, but their maintenance is relatively inexpensive. Furthermore, the use of machines reduces or eliminates human factor, thereby minimizing the risks of emergencies associated therewith. Machines have rendered workplaces safer, cleaner, environmentally friendly, and cost-efficient.
      Be that as it may, is moving towards automation always justified? Throughout modern history, humans’ jobs have been rendered obsolete by new technologies. No sooner had a brand-new technology appeared than it sowed the fears of impending layoffs amidst the workforce. In hindsight, however, those fears seem to have been unfounded. Rather than jeopardizing people’s careers, innovations help create new jobs and boost pay for skilled workforce.
      In my view, automation continues to be viewed as a mixed blessing. If our perception of automation is to be changed, the problem of layoffs inherent to the issue should be addressed. There is a complex of measures that may help us tackle this problem. Education for low-skilled workforce, welfare payments, basic income – all these possibilities should be tapped into and exploited. Only when we develop a comprehensive approach to the challenges brought forth by automation will we be closer to a post-scarcity economy.
      Zlatko_Berrin

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 12 май 2019, 14:34 Have you considered applying to some place in Europe? There also used to be these awesome programs that would get you into US universities for free, living expenses included, but I don't know about now...
      paveltashkinov пишет: 12 май 2019, 15:11 Moving abroad to pursue your academic career is definitely worth trying and aiming for.
      Eager Beaver пишет: 12 май 2019, 15:12 Anyways, I agree with Easy-Breezy English in that you should consider universities in Europe and the US.
      Well, I have considered it, but now I need at least to receive my FCE certificate and then I'll be able to give it some thought again My dream is Harvard, but I'm far from being a good candidate for the university.
      Eager Beaver пишет: 12 май 2019, 15:12 your English is good enough to study anything (finance was it, right?) in it.
      I tend to think that B2 isn't enough for studying abroad.
      (Yes, it was finance.)
      Zlatko_Berrin

Eager Beaver пишет: 12 май 2019, 15:17 You are not giving this impression (you know the difference, don't you?).
      Now I really do, he-he =)
      Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
      paveltashkinov

Men’s and women’s magazines are read, their nonsense notwithstanding. There, Ten Ways To Seduce A Woman That Actually Work, What You Need To Know About Men, and other revelations of the same kind coexist with the weekly horoscope, which has been cobbled together by some geniuses of obfuscation and verbosity. It is well-understood that magazines should be selling like hot cakes. That is why their content is tailored to accommodate the needs of the widest audience possible, ranging from those who would take such pieces of frivolous advice prima facie to the more curious ones wishing to have a good laugh at the silliness of it.
      Of course, such kind of content can be delved into, but - what for? Any decent man with a grain of common sense and an established worldview would be immune to all those ‘rules of life’ regurgitated by hack writers for a few dollars more.
      What is important, though, is that such magazines, if nothing else, mould the customer. Here, I am not talking about native advertising or sponsored content, but rather about the bigger picture. Those magazines weave the cloth of what we refer to as ‘lifestyle’, a paradigm. In other words, even though you may be unwilling to buy any of the advertised items, you nonetheless imbibe the habits and mindset of the people these magazines talk about. The idea of keeping up a certain level in our preferences for clothing, leisure time, and interior design is not tantamount to advertising. After all, this idea itself does not explicitly lead to our choice of certain brands and manufacturers.
      Nevertheless, in magazines and TV ads alike, time and again, we see some nice sharp-dressed guys peddling some cookies. Those nice guys have broad grins and unnaturally white teeth. They stand in a well-decorated kitchen full of expensive furniture, beside the table with a veritable smorgasbord of food. The funny thing is, none of those attributes has anything to do with the advertised product.
      This trend doesn’t seem to have seeped into Russian television commercials thus far and is more characteristic of magazines’ spreads. That said, it is ubiquitous in the Western media. From the marketing viewpoint, it may sound paradoxical. Whenever an advertisement is tailored, the buying power of the target audience should be borne in mind. So, there seems to be a discrepancy to be accounted for: why the rich people advertise the goods that they would not buy themselves?
      In so doing, advertisers nudge you towards consumerism, even though you take no notice of advertisements themselves. That is why it is important to exercise caution and be a wise consumer: even though you may be insensible to advertisements, do not let them affect your chosen lifestyle.
      Mary May
      Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

paveltashkinov,
      actually, I was going to reply to your #380, but was a bit distracted - so sorry for bringing it back today.
      However, the one (and the most important) thing I was going to draw your attention to is still here - and it's a confusing (or, maybe, it's just the way I see it) constant shift in pronouns.
      Just one more minor remark concerning #419:
      You're writing about Men’s and women’s magazines. Then, you say that "Any decent man with a grain of common sense ... would be immune to all those ‘rules of life’..."
      I'm sure you're not implying that women have no decency or common sense, are you? Joking... ))

The following refers to #380 only.
      СпойлерПоказать
      Subject: CPE Writing
      So...
      paveltashkinov пишет: 11 май 2019, 08:00 25 is the age of disappointments.
      - quite an over-promising start: as if you're going to speak on behalf of your generation or of your age group at least.
      Okay.
      Then, suddenly, you shift to I: "I was thinking I would be working my dream job."
      Next, you seem to refer to some common experience: "...everyone... is fully aware....
      Then, through I, again, general you, I, again, followed with we, you move back to I... and it all ends up with a pretence to a wise rhetorical question: "Isn’t it something people call wisdom?"
      Oh, I'm awfully sorry to say this - but don't you find this wobbling a bit... misguiding, maybe?

On we go )

Well, I dare not complain, nor do I want to sound it out, but everyone involved in the predicament I found myself in is fully aware of what I mean.
      - perhaps, everyone might be aware of it, if only they knew what sort of predicament it is )

I am aware of the extent to which people’s lives are eaten up by their jobs. I seem to have avoided this quagmire,.. <but sometimes I wish I hadn’t>.

- perhaps here you tried to follow the advice to cut long sentences into shorter ones. My guess is that what you were going to say, was that you "seem to have avoided sth you are too well aware of". Perhaps, the sentence really should have been split but not the way you did it.
      ...I seem to have avoided this quagmire, but sometimes I wish I hadn’t.

Don't you think the part in bold might need further development?
      Why? Why would you like your life be "eaten up" by your job? Is it a sort of escapism? You might've been a litle more generous as to give the readers a hint, at least)
      Supporting myself isn’t exactly as exciting as I thought it would be. Living on your own is great, but less so when you live in a dilapidated (albeit your own, not mortgaged) flat in a run-down neighborhood.
      Maybe, you'd better switch the two?
      What is so really exciting about "supporting yourself"? It might give you some sense of self-respect, some feeling that you're a grown-up already. But excitement?.. Whereas "living on their own" is much more likely what a yesterday undergraduate would excitedly look forward to... Sth like " Living on your own isn’t exactly as exciting as I thought it would be. Supporting yourself is great, but this great feeling is spoilt if you have to live in a run-down neighbourhood.
      Days seem to be way shorter...
      - shorter than you used to feel they'd been before?
      ...and are always crammed with cooking, cleaning and sleeping so that there’s no time left for other stuff.
      - if so, what about you avoiding this quagmire? Or, does the quagmire qualify for your life "eaten up" by job only, not by daily chores?
      I mean, the good stuff. I am growing more and more disappointed with the people I meet... blablalbalbla... Making new friends is becoming increasingly difficult. Losing old ones due to different life directions is not.
      - wouldn't it be more consistent to put this friends stuff here? Just because you've turned to talking about people, after jobs and flats and neighbourhood...
      Fortunately, there is only one example that fills me with sadness about the things that would have been and the ugly turn the events took. It will pass, anyway.
      ?? Mists and mirrors...
      Skipping a bit:
      Verily, 25 is a great age to explore, but all those explorations and escapades will eventually have amounted to what they are – a huge mistake.
      Making new friends is becoming increasingly difficult. Losing old ones due to different life directions is not.
      Drinking and partying aren’t as funny as they used to be.
      - isn't as fun as it used to be...
      Hangovers are growing worse. There seem to be some other reasons for the embarrassment that would have been unthinkable five years ago.
      ?? Enigmatic, again )
      I am glad to have discovered the passion of my life...

"Glad" and "passion"?.. "Passion" and "glad"?..
      Skipping, again:
      ...but sometimes I am overwhelmed and shattered with the realization of how hard I should try to get where I want to be.
      Sometimes life falls apart and crumbles like pastry. We try to mend it, to get a grip, and to glue it together. And then we realise we don't want to glue it together.

If we do not believe in the future we may be planning, the house we may be mortgaged to, the person who sleeps by our side, isn't it possible that a thunderstorm yet lurking in the clouds may bring us closer to how and who we want to be in the world?
      - quite an unexpected leap: "IF we don't believe in X, in Y (??) and don't trust Z" it somehow brings us closer to self-knowledge (?)
      I am getting older, but the things seem to be more and more confusing. Isn’t it something people call wisdom?
      - "Во многой мудрости много печали..." - You're (kind of) turning it the other way round? )
      paveltashkinov

Mary May,
      It was some sort of diary note, above all. It was difficult for me to follow my own train of thought, I guess, hence those slips.
      paveltashkinov

Well, the fact that it's one big block of text does hurt the readability a lot. Besides that, it's certainly on the heavier end of rhetorical flourish but not cloyingly so. Having skimmed it, I'd say the writing style is mostly fine.
      Of course, such kind of content can be delved into, but - what for?
      This doesn't sound right to me. Such content would work.
      So, there seems to be a discrepancy to be accounted for: why the rich people advertise the goods that they would not buy themselves?
      I'd make the part after the colon a complete clause:
      why do the rich people...

Such is the feedback I've received from a native speaker from the US.
      paveltashkinov

Competition
      Life is inherently competitive. If young people are to do well, then they need to learn to be competitive from an early age. Individual and team sports therefore represent a key element in any child’s education and should be at the centre of the school curriculum. Such activities will engender a spirit of competitiveness in young people that will make them want to win, not just on the sports field, but also when it comes to academic work and examinations – because those are inherently competitive too. Of course, not everyone can be successful – fear of failure is what it gives competition its edge, so that’s a positive thing
      Everyone can be a winner
      I was lucky enough to attend a school where students were encouraged to cooperate with each other rather than be competitive. We never knew who was top in the class because test results were never presented in that way – we just got feedback on our performance. Although we were encouraged to take exercise, competitive sports weren’t encouraged. In running, for example, we aimed to improve our personal time rather than beat somebody else. I think the philosophy of my school has made me a better person, and most of my classmates went on to do well in their external exams – proving that competitiveness isn’t a prerequisite for success in life.

Should schools promote cooperation amongst students or spur them on to compete against each other?
      Competition is an intrinsic part of our modern world. If yesterday’s schoolkids are to succeed in their lives, the curriculum should revolve around the idea of competition. How can this seed of competitiveness be sown?
      Individual and sport activities lend themselves to that purpose. The benefits of the PE classes seem to transcend the narrow edges of the sports field and seep into the academic part of the curriculum. After all, aren’t tests and examinations competitive too?
      This approach is worth analysing. Unfortunately, its drawbacks manifest themselves as soon as we give it some thought. While it is true that some students may excel at their endeavours, others are bound to lag behind and, consequently, may become insecure. What this approach also fails to consider is that not all people are competitive. Some students would rather work individually, setting pace for themselves, or cooperate.
      What, it might be asked, are the benefits of cooperation amongst students? Unlike competition, cooperation provides students with an opportunity for self-reflection. Teachers should help students spot their weaknesses and work on them, rather than nudging students to outdistance their peers.
      This cooperative approach moulds a person more tolerant to other’s faults, good at communication and listening. Now that soft skills are becoming more important in companies’ recruitment decisions, those qualities will enhance students’ chance on the job market after they graduate.
      In my view, schools should strike a balance between cooperation and competition when tailoring the range of activities offered to students. Competition fosters efficiency and leads to innovations propelling humanity forward. On the other hand, had it not been for teamwork, the lion’s share of those brand-new solutions would never have emerged. Therefore, only when both cooperation and competition are woven in the school curricula will students benefit most.
      paveltashkinov

The conclusion of the last essay has gone off on a tangent.
      I should have written something like

If students are taught how to compete, they may be more inventive and efficient in the workplace. That said, these innovation and efficiency are impossible without teamwork. Therefore, it is important that both cooperative and competitive activities be included in the curriculum. Only when this prerequisite is met will students benefit most.
      paveltashkinov

An essay: A skill a person should learn in order to be successful in the world today
      What is a very important skill a person should learn in order to be successful in the world today? Choose one skill and use specific reasons and examples to support your choice.

Computer literacy is listed among the most sought-after qualities that employers demand of their potential employees. Why is it so important for building a successful career? Why do advanced users of software have a competitive edge on the job market?

An employee who is skillful at using different applications can streamline the workflow within the organisation, and thereby render it more efficient. Moreover, the digitally literate workforce tend to accomplish more within tighter schedules than their less skillful counterparts. Rather than having to spend time performing cumbersome calculations manually, digitally-savvy employees can achieve the objective at hand more efficiently and leaving no chance for an occasional mistake. Consequently, employees can spend the time thus saved for their own benefit, e.g. acquiring new skills.

This point can be exemplified by considering as important a skill as MS Excel Spreadsheets, which are widely recognized as a versatile tool that enables its users to speed up the workflow. The employees conversant in Excel and au fait with the vast array of its features may come up with forecasts, analysis, graphs, charts, databases, dashboards in no time. In so doing, they may increase the operational efficiency of their departments by leaps and bounds. This skill is of paramount importance wherever the time spent performing a task may make a difference between the profits made or the losses sustained.

Computers are part and parcel of almost any job in our modern world. That is why success at the job market is impossible without computer-related skills. Given that the importance of computer literacy is bound to increase over the course of the next decades, people should be encouraged to broaden their knowledge of different software.
      Ответить