KET-PET-FCE позади, шагаю дальше!

Подготовка и впечатления от сдачи экзамена. Помощь в разборе письменных работ. выбор и обсуждение необходимых материалов. Cambridge English (CPE, CAE, FCE ect.), IELTS, TOEFL и другие.

Модератор: mikka

Eager Beaver
Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

tourist пишет: 09 июн 2019, 22:31 Eager Beaver,
It's just that your value,as I see it, has nothing to do with learning English.
I don't get it, sorry.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 09 июн 2019, 22:33
QwestDay пишет: 09 июн 2019, 22:06 yeah, theory, practice, input..
I would be just interested only in the amount of time Eager Beaver devotes to English. I mean the total number of hours or at least the average number of hours spent per day. It would explain Beaver's level (to some extent, of course)... and show the correlation between the time spent studying English and the level of English. I think the correlation is strong enough.
As I probably told you in PMs, I put various amounts of time in learning English at different stages - from a few hours a day of actively studying grammar rules and doing exercises - to a half hour a day of reading for pleasure. Now, watching TV shows accounts for the bulk of what I'm doing (at least a couple of episodes every day). There is not much "active study" per se (except in an English class), but I'm trying hard not to cancel on my daily Anki review. Getting the right word or expression at the right time is what I'm struggling with the most, especially in speaking.
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

tourist,
quite frankly, I'm not too curious. The more good English I get to read on the forum, the better. I'd love to pratise my speaking skills the same way, though. Perhaps later in summer when I'm not so inundated with work, I'll take a risk and join our discord group if it still exists.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Juliemiracle пишет: 09 июн 2019, 23:01 I'd love to pratise my speaking skills the same way, though.
Don't you get to practice speaking every day at work?
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

Juliemiracle,
discord group?
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

Eager Beaver пишет: 09 июн 2019, 20:37 He tries to make me speak, but ends up doing most of the talking himself,
Curious. Why is that? Do you write better than you speak?
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

tourist пишет: 09 июн 2019, 23:08 Juliemiracle,
discord group?
BeerMug\s group for practicing CAE speaking.
https://discord.gg/DV9YmTV
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Eager Beaver,
ah, it's not the same. When you teach even high-level students, you have to think about maximising their speaking time, first of all. Secondly, a lot of what teachers say in class is actually boring instruction language. The last but not least, if I learn sth new I'd like to try out myself, I can't just pop it into my classroom practice mindlessly -- it'll be plain showing off. There's a good chance students won't understand it, so what's the point taking up precious class time? Or else if I really want them to benefit from what I bring in, I'd have to stop, attract their attention to this or that phrase etc, ask eliciting questions to check their undertstanding, maybe work it into our class discussion somehow, which all requires some time again, and I can't forget about covering the syllabus. So, yeah, it's complicated. Being a teacher of English doesn't really provide you with some free language practice, unfortunately :)
Последний раз редактировалось Juliemiracle 09 июн 2019, 23:19, всего редактировалось 4 раза.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 09 июн 2019, 23:15
Eager Beaver пишет: 09 июн 2019, 20:37 He tries to make me speak, but ends up doing most of the talking himself,
Curious. Why is that? Do you write better than you speak?
I most likely do - I don't know how you can compare writing with speaking.
Easy-Breezy English

Eager Beaver пишет: 09 июн 2019, 23:18 I don't know how you can compare writing with speaking.
Whichever comes easier is your stronger skill.
You are a programmer, right? I've known some programmers who could write beautifully, but when it came to talking they couldn't put two words together if their life depended on it. Seems to come with the job somehow.
Anyway, whatever you are doing is obviously working. You have a good reason to be proud, so why aren't you? :-)
Zlatko_Berrin
Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

Eager Beaver пишет: 09 июн 2019, 23:01 As I probably told you in PMs, I put various amounts of time in learning English at different stages - from a few hours a day of actively studying grammar rules and doing exercises - to a half hour a day of reading for pleasure. Now, watching TV shows accounts for the bulk of what I'm doing (at least a couple of episodes every day). There is not much "active study" per se (except in an English class), but I'm trying hard not to cancel on my daily Anki review. Getting the right word or expression at the right time is what I'm struggling with the most, especially in speaking.
If so, I must have forgotten that then))

A weak or so ago, I encountered a story of learning Italian in a couple of years and it tells how one passed the C2 Italian exam. The person used Anki so maybe that's the secret?) http://brianjx.altervista.org/#_Toc415599064

What I want to say is that maybe there is nothing strange in making good progress in learning English in two years. It's just consistency. That's it.
Последний раз редактировалось Zlatko_Berrin 09 июн 2019, 23:41, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Juliemiracle пишет: 09 июн 2019, 23:17 Eager Beaver,
ah, it's not the same. When you teach even high-level students, you have to think about maximising their speaking time, first of all. Secondly, a lot of what teachers say in class is actually boring instruction language. The last but not least, if I learn sth new I'd like to try out myself, I can't just pop it into my classroom practice mindlessly -- it'll be plain showing off. There's a good chance students won't understand it, so what's the point taking up precious class time? Or else if I really want them to benefit from what I bring in, I'd have to stop, attract their attention to this or that phrase etc, ask eliciting questions to check their undertstanding, maybe work it into our class discussion somehow, which all requires some time again, and I can't forget about covering the syllabus. So, yeah, it's complicated. Being a teacher of English doesn't really provide you with some free language practice, unfortunately :)
I thought teachers are supposed to give model answers for each task so that their students know exactly what kind of answer is expected and could follow your example (that's what my teacher does; a lot). If you work with higher-level students, there should be plenty of opportunity to showcase your skills.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 09 июн 2019, 23:28
Eager Beaver пишет: 09 июн 2019, 23:18 I don't know how you can compare writing with speaking.
Whichever comes easier is your stronger skill.
You are a programmer, right? I've known some programmers who could write beautifully, but when it came to talking they couldn't put two words together if their life depended on it. Seems to come with the job somehow.
Anyway, whatever you are doing is obviously working. You have a good reason to be proud, so why aren't you? :-)
Well, I'm not a programmer (I do have some skills though), my job involves meeting a lot of people, and my speaking isn't that bad.
Also, this "all programmers aren't sociable or talkative" myth is just that, a myth.)

As for being proud, well, there are more appropriate things to take pride in. Speaking English is hardly an achievement - anyone can do it (millions do). :)
Easy-Breezy English

Eager Beaver пишет: 09 июн 2019, 23:50 there are more appropriate things to take pride in

Such as? Take it from a teacher - learning English to your level in two years is indicative of intelligence and very impressive linguistic abilities, trick or no trick.
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

Easy-Breezy English,
good cop, bad cop routine much ?
Remember those carrots ? ))
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
Easy-Breezy English
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Eager Beaver,
sorry, but imho if a teacher spends classroom time showcasing their skills, they aren't that good. I might provide a model answer from time to time, but not for every single task; otherwise, my students will have no time to speak themselves. And don't forget that I work at a provincial uni, so my 'high-level' students are different from those in, say, Moscow State Uni. Sometimes I feel I'm suffocating. I love my job, and yet, I'd like to talk about something else in addition to the syllabus topics.
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарил:
QwestDay
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 09 июн 2019, 23:57 Take it from a teacher - learning English to your level in two years is indicative of intelligence and very impressive linguistic abilities, trick or no trick.
Thanks! If this forum wasn't anonymous, I'd think you have some ulterior motive for blowing smoke up my ass. This is rubbing me the wrong way, sorry.
Easy-Breezy English пишет: 09 июн 2019, 23:57 Such as?
Besides the obvious (I have a family I love, an excellent job, etc.), suffice it to say that we're driving a great local initiative that actually helps people in need. I'd rather not go into detail on this here (don't want to reveal my identity).
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарил:
Easy-Breezy English
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Juliemiracle пишет: 10 июн 2019, 00:17 Eager Beaver,
sorry, but imho if a teacher spends classroom time showcasing their skills, they aren't that good. I might provide a model answer from time to time, but not for every single task; otherwise, my students will have no time to speak themselves. And don't forget that I work at a provincial uni, so my 'high-level' students are different from those in, say, Moscow State Uni. Sometimes I feel I'm suffocating. I love my job, and yet, I'd like to talk about something else in addition to the syllabus topics.
Seems I had the wrong idea then.
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Eager Beaver,
about teachers of English polishing their language skills in their classes? :)
Easy-Breezy English

Eager Beaver пишет: 10 июн 2019, 00:20 This is rubbing me the wrong way, sorry.
Russians generally have a hard time taking praise... I've often wondered why that is. But whatever, I promise not to comment on your English anymore. :-)
Omchak
Благодарил (а): 169 раз

Сообщение Omchak »

Juliemiracle,
I know many students from MGU whose English is vey poor. I suppose, Moscow is overrated.
Белая Мишка
Благодарил (а): 1434 раза

Сообщение Белая Мишка »

Ойнимагу, делала пробник (офиц сборник, тест 4), юз 18 ридинг 27.

Сделала все части, кроме ревюшной, переписала ответы. Осталось десять минут, чую от ревю мутит, дай думаю лучше проверю как следует седьмую часть, хрен с ними с ревю. Проверила, исправила два ответа. Правильные на неправильные)) То есть впервые в жизни сделала седьмую часть без ошибок, но это мне никак не помогло))
А это ведь четыре балла, т е 31, и если б я вместо проверки наугадывала в ревю, то был бы проходной балл в итоге.

Третий лисенинг из Вулканов - 19, первые три части все ничо, четвертая какая-то ядерная.
За это сообщение автора Белая Мишка поблагодарил:
utya
utya
Благодарил (а): 49 раз

Сообщение utya »

Белая Мишка пишет: 12 июн 2019, 22:21 Ойнимагу, делала пробник (офиц сборник, тест 4), юз 18 ридинг 27.

Сделала все части, кроме ревюшной, переписала ответы. Осталось десять минут, чую от ревю мутит, дай думаю лучше проверю как следует седьмую часть, хрен с ними с ревю. Проверила, исправила два ответа. Правильные на неправильные)) То есть впервые в жизни сделала седьмую часть без ошибок, но это мне никак не помогло))
А это ведь четыре балла, т е 31, и если б я вместо проверки наугадывала в ревю, то был бы проходной балл в итоге.

Третий лисенинг из Вулканов - 19, первые три части все ничо, четвертая какая-то ядерная.
Ох этот официальный сборник... Ни одну часть по нему не сдаю...
Белая Мишка
Благодарил (а): 1434 раза

Сообщение Белая Мишка »

Ааа, сделала пробник с сайта (sample 2) и пролезла по ридингу наконец, щас расплачусь)
33, юз 19.
Если бы в ридинге не исправила три (!) правильных ответа на неправильные, была бы вообще кросавчег.
Не нравится, что слов незнакомых пихают в важные, ответственные моменты))
Люди чета там misled by чем-то... это чо вообще?

Все, больше до субботы никаких пробников, каждый день один лисенинг, один райтинг и спикинг по возможности.
Violetta27
Благодарил (а): 289 раз

Сообщение Violetta27 »

Белая Мишка пишет: 15 июн 2019, 21:24 Ааа, сделала пробник с сайта (sample 2) и пролезла по ридингу наконец, щас расплачусь)
33, юз 19.
Если бы в ридинге не исправила три (!) правильных ответа на неправильные, была бы вообще кросавчег.
Не нравится, что слов незнакомых пихают в важные, ответственные моменты))
Люди чета там misled by чем-то... это чо вообще?

Все, больше до субботы никаких пробников, каждый день один лисенинг, один райтинг и спикинг по возможности.
Мишка, =))))))))))
"Это Кэмбридж, детка!" )))))
А Вы еще удивлялись, почему я не решусь на САЕ )))) Вот из-за такого и не решалась ))))
В каждом (в каждом!) ридинге любого сборника ЭТО ))) чтобы точно не догадаться, что создатели теста имели ввиду ))))
Ответить