Housing problems in cities and towns (CAE)

Подготовка и впечатления от сдачи экзамена. Помощь в разборе письменных работ. выбор и обсуждение необходимых материалов. Cambridge English (CPE, CAE, FCE ect.), IELTS, TOEFL и другие.

Модератор: mikka

Rupert
Благодарил (а): 6 раз

Сообщение Rupert »

Dear forum dwellers! :)
I am currently preparing for CAE, so I have prepared a short essay. If someone can help me and check it, and maybe give some suggestions what I should pay attention to, I will be very grateful. Thank you very much!

Task

How housing problems in cities and towns can be solved
  • renovate empty properties
    extend the suburbs
    build high-rise blocks
Some opinions expressed in the documentary
  • 'We shouldn't use up any more countryside because we've lost enough green space over the years as it is.'
    'There's no point building more new houses when there are so many empty places with no one in them.'
    'High-rise buildings are terrible places to live and people can feel really isolated in them.'

Essay
Growing world population and intensive urbanization have made the shortage of housing a sensitive issue. Few people living in cities have never faced problems related to a lack of suitable accommodation, which puts a severe strain on city dwellers, affecting their psychological well-being and quality of life. It seems that governments and local authorities have a few options to address this issue.

One possible solution might be extending the suburbs. Building private houses around cities will provide homes for many city dwellers, creating semi-urban space and allowing people to connect natural and urban lifestyles, not to mention that the suburbs is a wonderful place to start a family. What’s more, developing the suburbs will also make cities less overpopulated. One obstacle to this, however, is that building new houses and necessary infrastructure is rather expensive. From the other hand, it generates additional employment.

Another way is the renovation of existing properties. Empty houses can be replaced by more modern accommodation, thus alleviating the housing problem. Replacing derelict buildings will also let us introduce up-to-date urban standards, making cities and towns a more comfortable place to live in. Some argue that not only will it make existing cities more beautiful, but also will preserve green areas. However, renovation, creating additional housing in cities, eventually will increase population density. Should this happen, it will create a vicious circle.

Considering this, it seems that careful and well-planned suburban development will help us resolve the housing problem. Introducing modern building technologies and creating parks will both reduce the costs and help us live comfortably around urban areas without exacerbating ecological problems.

Again, many thanks!
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

Some quick suggestions:

- to connect benefit from(both) natural and urban lifestyles
- suburbs is a wonderful place to start a family ... Really ? ))
- less overpopulated -> less overcrowded
- From on the other hand
- Another way is the renovation - > is to renovate/ another option is the renovation
- will also let us -> will allow us
- a more comfortable place to live in. ->more comfortable to live
- but also will -> will also
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
Rupert
Philipp
Благодарил (а): 148 раз

Сообщение Philipp »

Empty houses can be replaced by more modern accommodation, t
По моему, стилистически, не совсем подходит.
За это сообщение автора Philipp поблагодарил:
Rupert
Rupert
Благодарил (а): 6 раз

Сообщение Rupert »

Tourist, Philipp, thank you very much for you help, I appreciate it!
Ответить