A CAE essay about technology

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Rupert
Благодарил (а): 6 раз

Сообщение Rupert »

Hello, everyone! I have decided to start preparing for CAE and wrote an essay. Since I do not have any experience in passing Cambridge exams, I would be very grateful if anyone finds some time to check my writing. Thanks in advance!

Task

Which aspect of our daily life has been affected most by technology?
  • communication
    relationships
    working life

Some opinions expressed in the discussion:
  • 'It's great to be able to communicate with people 24 hours a day.'
    'It's so hard to make personal relationships - everyone's online every time.'
    'People have an easier working life because they can work from home.'
Essay
Vast technological advancement has transformed our everyday life beyond recognition. New technology, confidently making its way into the modern world, quickly renders old habits ineffective, changing our lifestyle, the way we study, teach, work, do business, or communicate with other people.
Among different technological improvements the world sees so much these days, the digital revolution seems to have affected our working life the most. Invented more than half a century ago, computers have conquered the world during the last thirty years. Along came the Internet and mobile phones.

Computers allow us gather, store and analyze a considerable amount of data daily, relieving workers from a lot of paperwork, giving instant access to information, and generally letting perform work faster. Digital appliances have not just changed the way we do things in office, but have also made remote work possible. Teleworking is becoming increasingly popular, involving more and more people of even conservative professions such as lawyers or doctors.

Not only has technology changed our working life, it affected our relationships with other people. Nowadays it is easy to communicate with people living on other continents. For example, I have no problem teaching my Belgian friend Russian via the Internet, what was hardly possible even fifteen years ago.

As amazing as it seems, it occurs to me that technology makes a pleasant addition to our social life rather than fundamentally changing it. Working at a computer, making presentations or teleworking, at the end of the week many of us still go out with our friends or plan a family weekend outside of town. That is why I think that our working life has been affected by technology a bit more than our actual social relationships.
Chaika

Сообщение Chaika »

everyone's online all the time.

vast >extensive
transformed our everyday life beyond recognition. 'transform' sounds wrong but I can't think of an alternative.

Among different > Among the various [or: many] (this is a very common error for Russians)

is seeing so much of these days

allow us to gather

to relieve smb of smth

letting people work faster.

in the office

made working remotely possible
Telecommuting
involving more> being used by more
people even of conservative

it has affected
Internet, which was
technology is a pleasant

There are still some rough spots that I'll leave to others to battle with.
За это сообщение автора Chaika поблагодарил:
Rupert
Olya
Благодарил (а): 159 раз

Сообщение Olya »

Working on a computer
New technologies
Allow us to gather
To affect(?)
Which was hardly ..
Over the past 30 years
Outside the town

Not quite sure, though )
За это сообщение автора Olya поблагодарил:
Rupert
Olya
Благодарил (а): 159 раз

Сообщение Olya »

Changed(?)
Rupert

Сообщение Rupert »

Chaika, Olya, thank you so much for your help!
Chaika

Сообщение Chaika »

outside of town is correct. But the standard phrase is "out of town."

working at a computer. = sitting in front of one, typing etc. This is less ambiguous than

working on a computer. = technician opens up the case and fiddles around inside.

Otherwise I agree with Olya's corrections.
За это сообщение автора Chaika поблагодарили (всего 2):
Olya, Rupert
Ответить