Shat

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

I guess many of you know that it's a possible past tense of 'shit'. I knew it too but I also thought it was an old form. Not true! It was invented in the 19th century, likely by analogy with 'sit/sat'.

Since I dislike verbs that don't change in the past tense, I was glad to learn that 'shat' has since gained some popularity and so it can, it seems, now be considered a variation of the norm. It's used in Britain, America and Australia, so it's not some local peculiarity.

So I think we should all start using it in appropriate contexts and thereby help improve the English language a little bit! :)

And here are some usage examples. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. I found them rather refreshing on this gloomy winter day.

I was especially impressed by this particular translation.
March over there, look him straight in the eye, and say, "I'm the man who shat in your boot." and then you and in the ass

Пойди к нему, посмотри в глаза, и скажи: "Это я нагадил в твой ботинок", а потом нагнуть его и как следует засадить.
o_0
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

acapnotic пишет: 02 дек 2018, 11:41 It was invented in the 19th century
It says here it's a little older than that.)
Shat is a humorous past tense form, not etymological, first recorded 18c.
Wonder why "shat in his boot" (52 google hits) outnumbers "shat in his shoe" (46 googlicks) despite the alliteration of the latter.
Последний раз редактировалось Yety 02 дек 2018, 12:13, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
diggerzz
Благодарил (а): 142 раза

Сообщение diggerzz »

acapnotic пишет: 02 дек 2018, 11:41 So I think we should all start using
When I hear things like that, my hand longs for a gun.
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

diggerzz пишет: 02 дек 2018, 12:03 my hand longs for a gun.
Just learnt it on the net.)
Hanns Johst (8 July 1890 – 23 November 1978) was a German poet and playwright, directly aligned with Nazi philosophy, as a member of the officially approved writers’ organisations in the Third Reich. The statement “When I hear the word culture, I reach for my gun”, variously misattributed to Himmler, Goebbels and Göring, was in fact a corrupted version of a line in his play Schlageter.
diggerzz

Сообщение diggerzz »

Yety пишет: 02 дек 2018, 12:23 Just learnt it on the net.)
Hope I'm not a dormant Nazi.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Yety пишет: 02 дек 2018, 12:00 It says here it's a little older than that.)
Shat is a humorous past tense form, not etymological, first recorded 18c.
Not Old English anyway. :) And it's perfectly logical from any point of view. You sit while you shit, don't you? Otherwise it's a disaster! So the two verbs should also go together all the way like close friends.

As for it being humorous, maybe it was at the time of its birth, but it doesn't seem to be now. At least from what I've read. People in various areas use it as a regular verb form. I can't tell exactly how many, though. But with us there will be more!
diggerzz пишет: 02 дек 2018, 12:03
acapnotic пишет: 02 дек 2018, 11:41 So I think we should all start using
When I hear things like that, my hand longs for a gun.
You definitely should grow a thicker skin! There are 7 billion people who may have peculiar ideas about your desirable behavior. You can't shoot them all, can you? Even if you have a fortune to buy enough ammunition, you'll probably die of old age long before you end! And you will be completely deaf by the time, I guess, from all those shots.
Dragon27
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Dragon27 »

acapnotic пишет: 02 дек 2018, 11:41 I was especially impressed by this particular translation.
The original phrase was supposed to go like this:
Wilfred: March over there, look him straight in the eyes, and say, "I'm the man who shat in your boot." And bend him over and root him right up the ass.
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Wilfred_(U.S._TV_series)
Wilfred is a dog, btw. He has a different take on how to handle confrontations.
За это сообщение автора Dragon27 поблагодарил:
acapnotic
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

diggerzz пишет: 02 дек 2018, 12:55 Hope I'm not a dormant Nazi.
No, I wasn't referring to that.) It's just that I'd always been among those who 'misattributed [this phrase] ... to Goebbels'. Now it's another myth busted.)
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Dragon27 пишет: 02 дек 2018, 14:01 The original phrase was supposed to go like this
Ah, now I see, thanks! I had a suspicion that the original might have been crippled. But the explanation involving a creative translator appealed to me more. :)
diggerzz

Сообщение diggerzz »

acapnotic пишет: 02 дек 2018, 13:45 You definitely should grow a thicker skin! There are 7 billion people who may have peculiar ideas about your desirable behavior. You can't shoot them all, can you? Even if you have a fortune to buy enough ammunition, you'll probably die of old age long before you end! And you will be completely deaf by the time, I guess, from all those shots.
Unfortunately, you've got a point.
*sighs, puts a six-barrels vindicator back into the crate.
Ответить

Вернуться в «Practise Your English»