For all you word lovers out there

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Olya
Благодарил (а): 159 раз

Сообщение Olya »

alanta пишет: 05 фев 2019, 23:40
Olya пишет: 05 фев 2019, 23:00 The final drop appears to have been Eager Beaver's capacity for learning quickly, easily and on his own.
So if you prove he's a fraud the job'll be done?
You are a provocateur, aren't you?)
alanta
Благодарил (а): 545 раз

Сообщение alanta »

Olya пишет: 05 фев 2019, 23:53
alanta пишет: 05 фев 2019, 23:40
Olya пишет: 05 фев 2019, 23:00 The final drop appears to have been Eager Beaver's capacity for learning quickly, easily and on his own.
So if you prove he's a fraud the job'll be done?
You are a provocateur, aren't you?)
It looks like you are the one. It was you who brought it up.
Olya
Благодарил (а): 159 раз

Сообщение Olya »

It was you who brougt it up
The final nail in the coffin.)))
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

tourist пишет: 05 фев 2019, 19:49 Fox had (has?) a decent pronunciation but he was nowhere near as good in writing as Beaver.
And Beaver may not be as good at speaking as Fox. Depends on one's main focus in learning, I guess.
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

I do hope that [mention]Eager Beaver[/mention]'s brief absence from here is a mere coincidence and has nth to do with what was said by tourist and mustang the other day and what could be - mistakenly - seen as distrust.
Eager Beaver, the surprise they expressed was more than understandable and no way should it be taken as their deliberate attempt to catch you not telling the truth.
On the contrary, you can take their words as the best of the compliments, especially keeping in mind who the speakers are: these two would never rub you "the right" way just in order to be nice. Their words are, perhaps, the highest praise they've ever given to anybody and, what is more, you can trust that they really mean it.
СпойлерПоказать
(It's [mention]Yety[/mention] and me, who are notorious peacemakers and compliment payers here - which certainly doesn't make us hypocrites).
So please - don't hold grudges (if it is the case) and do come back!

I'd also like to invite those who have already contributed to the thread or who think they could do it to come up and make the thread what it was initially intended to be - the one for word lovers.
Not one more battlefield - enough of them, thank you very much.
If I may, I'd personally call them: [mention]Milanya[/mention], the founder, and also [mention]acapnotic[/mention] , [mention]paveltashkinov[/mention] and [mention]VictorB[/mention].
СпойлерПоказать
And, btw, there's nothing but fun and amusement in Avaddon's Idiomatron - go and give it a try)
Eager Beaver
Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

tourist пишет: 05 фев 2019, 19:49 Did you attend a specialized school ?
Do you live in an English speaking country by any chance ?
Any English speaking relatives? Girlfriend? Boyfriend ?
I'm not particularly eager to talk about myself or my "learning history". If it really that matters, then yes, I went to a "specialized school", the one with a strong focus on math. I have never lived in an English speaking country or been married to a native speaker. My wife knows English quite well, along with a couple other languages she learned back in college, but she doesn't use it with me or our kids (or she does, if you count watching Netflix and other streaming services). However, she's been unswervingly loyal to me and staunchly supportive of all my initiatives, whether in business or language learning. So, when I announced, yet again, that I was going to take up English, despite being rather skeptical of the idea, she just wished me luck and promised not to get in the way. I've been enjoying free rein in what to do with my English ever since. She does look at my post-its on the fridge or scrap paper scattered around the house every now and then, usually to mock me or ask me to clean up, but it's nothing like having a mentor around 24/7. Hope this satisfies your curiosity.
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

I'm not particularly eager to talk about myself
OK,I respect that.
Hope this satisfies your curiosity.
not really...
glad you're back,anyway )
Ответить