For all you word lovers out there

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Olya
Благодарил (а): 159 раз

Сообщение Olya »

СпойлерПоказать
Танки грязи не боятся ))
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

Eager Beaver,
this one's pretty easy
a rolling stone gathers no moss
now, put your right hand on the Bible/Quran/Torah/communist party membership card
and solemnly swear :
I did not google those phrases...
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Mary May,

A rolling stone gathers no moss.
Eager Beaver
Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

tourist пишет: 03 фев 2019, 22:12 now, put your right hand on the Bible/Quran/Torah/communist party membership card
and solemnly swear :
I did not google those phrases...
I did not google these phrases.

But I'm glad you wrote this. There is a reason I decided against following the Idiomatron thread. Should have skipped this one as well.
Последний раз редактировалось Eager Beaver 03 фев 2019, 22:23, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

plot thickens ..)

PS (after your addition)
yes,I also tried to persuade Avaddon not to use googlable phrases in that thread
but my suggestion has fallen on deaf ear.
Последний раз редактировалось tourist 03 фев 2019, 22:30, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

tourist пишет: 03 фев 2019, 22:20 plot thickens ..)
?
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Eager Beaver,
well, didn't you say that you've been learning English for only two years
and in your own estimation your level is B2 ?
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

tourist пишет: 03 фев 2019, 22:41 well, didn't you say that you've been learning English for only two years
and in your own estimation your level is B2 ?
It's been almost two years since I started, yes (don't remember the exact date but I think it was around March 8).
I never said anything about my level, though, as I don't know how I can accurately assess it. Why?
Последний раз редактировалось Eager Beaver 03 фев 2019, 23:13, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

In my experience and [humble mode] I do have some believe it or not [/humble mode] )
there is NO WAY a learner would be able to write in English the way you do after only 22 months (!) of studying.
Though the samples of your writing are few and far between, you hardly make any mistakes,
your style/word usage is pretty good, you aren't prone to Runglish.
Most people on this board (including some teachers) can't do that even after much longer periods of studying.
You also claim that language in videos that you mentioned elsewhere is very easy to understand.
Sure,they are easy, but not after 22 months of learning.

Hence my doubts.. )
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

tourist пишет: 03 фев 2019, 23:05 In my experience and [humble mode ] I do have some believe it or not [/humble mode]
there is NO WAY a learner would be able to write in English the way you do after only 22 months (!) of studying.
Though the samples of your writing are few and far between, you hardly make any mistakes,
your style/word usage is pretty good, you aren't prone to Runglish.
Most people on this board (including some teachers) can't do that even after much longer periods of studying.

Hence my doubts.. )
Well, what you're saying is flattering, but I can read and I see how mediocre and pathetic my writing is - there is obviously ample scope for improvement.

As for the 2 years, I guess you'll have to take my word for it and give me the benefit of the doubt. I have no desire to prove anything and, frankly speaking, I'm quite fed up with this being stuck in my face at every turn. Some people, like you, don't believe me and maintain that whatever I have to say should be dismissed as I can't be trusted. Others, conversely, appear to believe me and thus assert that I'm not experienced or advanced enough to have my say. This is frustrating and mind-numbing. If it will help, please ignore my background altogether. And I will do my best to refrain from writing on this board.
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарил:
Mary May
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

No man, you got me totally wrong (
I'm not saying you can't be trusted,not at all.
I'm saying that you've achieved unbelievably (literally) good level during these two years.
No sarcasm.
I don't want you to refrain from writing.
On the contrary, I'd really like you to write more here preferably in English.
So I apologize for this mess-up and hope you'd stay put,buddy.
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
Mary May
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Eager Beaver,
Eager Beaver пишет: 03 фев 2019, 21:18 What's the Russian one?
Кому на месте не сидится, тот добра не наживет.
mustang
Благодарил (а): 926 раз

Сообщение mustang »

tourist пишет: 03 фев 2019, 23:05 there is NO WAY a learner would be able to write in English the way you do after only 22 months (!) of studying.
I second that.

I must admit that once in a while you might have been too harsh on people but in this case I think you are the voice of reason:). Personally, I think that either Eager Beaver is as smart as all of us combined:) and his truly amazing language learning achievments are indicative of what someone with an unbelievably high natural apptitude for languages can do in just two years or he has been learning English for QUITE some time.

I'm not buying it. After just two years of learning English most of the people ( no matter how hard they work on their English) still make plenty of grammar mistakes and do not express themselves in flawless English.

I am a really diligent student and I have been working my butt off for 10 years to be where I am right now - I have a decent level of English and yet it's not as good as his.

Something fishy going on in here. Either that or I am just a pathetic excuse for a language learner.
Последний раз редактировалось mustang 05 фев 2019, 07:14, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
За это сообщение автора mustang поблагодарили (всего 3):
Mary May, VictorB, tourist
mustang

Сообщение mustang »

Eager Beaver пишет: 03 фев 2019, 23:35 Well, what you're saying is flattering, but I can read and I see how mediocre and pathetic my writing is - there is obviously ample scope for improvement.
You must be kidding, bro. Your english is nearly perfect.
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

mustang, people sometimes tend to (sincerely!) dismiss the knowledge/skills they gained in school as (half)forgotten or even completely lost.
That's not the case. Something should've left.

For example, even my just two-month-long experience in studying German 16 years ago is definitely of some help for me now, when I'm giving it another try.
In school, it's years. And the years when the brain is the most flexible and ready to acquire new knowledge ans skills.
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

If I remember correctly, Fox, from the old forum, attained a high level of English, both written and spoken, in two years. So it must be possible. If not for everyone, well, not all of us are equally talented and focused on what we do.
mustang

Сообщение mustang »

Eager Beaver,
It's been almost two years since I started, yes (don't remember the exact date but I think it was around March 8).
I never said anything about my level, though, as I don't know how I can accurately assess it. Why?
Though I have my doubts, I hope you are not going to take what I wrote as a personal insult. I am not testing you or trying to catch you lying, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that there are people out there who can soak up knowledge like a humongous sponge and learn completely new things at a rate that defies belief. After all, I don't think that regular forum mebers really care about how long it took you to become so good at English, what really matters is that you have reached a high level of proficiency in English, learned a thing or two along the way and can be a valuable asset to this language learning community.

No hard feelings?
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Again, I'd hate to scare Beaver away
but maybe he would be willing to tell us a bit more about his English learning history.
Did you attend a specialized school ?
Do you live in an English speaking country by any chance ?
Any English speaking relatives? Girlfriend? Boyfriend ?
acapnotic пишет: 05 фев 2019, 11:04 If I remember correctly, Fox, from the old forum, attained a high level of English, both written and spoken, in two years.
Fox had (has?) a decent pronunciation but he was nowhere near as good in writing as Beaver.

Mary May,
For example, even my just two-month-long experience in studying German 16 years ago is definitely of some help for me now, when I'm giving it another try.
regardless is contagious isn't she ? )
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

As far as I can remember, Fox was great at listening and speaking and his language, brilliant in its American authenticity, was more colloquial while Beaver's is more literary.
contagious
- hope not yet )
alanta
Благодарил (а): 545 раз

Сообщение alanta »

Why is it so important--time, etc.? What's it going to prove or change if it weren't only two years? I mean Eager Beaver wasn't selling snake oil or something like that.
Just asking.
Olya

Сообщение Olya »

alanta пишет: 05 фев 2019, 21:20 Why is it so important--time, etc.? What's it going to prove or change if it weren't only two years? I mean Eager Beaver wasn't selling snake oil or something like that.
Just asking.

You see, his case might split us into opposing sides again. We have already been dragged into a battle of teachers and students and at the heart of the conflict was a disagreement over whether they need each other.) The final drop appears to have been Eager Beaver's capacity for learning quickly, easily and on his own.
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Olya,
to be fair,we don't know whether Beaver learned English on his own or not.
Let's wait for him to tell his side of the story.
Olya

Сообщение Olya »

tourist,

Yes, he did! He's emphasized that many times.
alanta
Благодарил (а): 545 раз

Сообщение alanta »

Olya пишет: 05 фев 2019, 23:00 The final drop appears to have been Eager Beaver's capacity for learning quickly, easily and on his own.
So if you prove he's a fraud the job'll be done?
Mary May

Сообщение Mary May »

alanta, nobody here was going to start a new feud.
Ответить