Climbing the plateau

Как начать изучать язык с нуля, какой метод изучения языка выбрать, получить рекомендации по самостоятельному изучению языка, обсудить другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

gavenkoa
Благодарил (а): 3100 раз

Сообщение gavenkoa »

I feel I can do anything now. The only trade-off is a time.

What was changed?

Some metaphysics here: it's a quantity which become a quality ))

My plateau consisted of pronunciation difficulties and lack of vocabulary.

While studying phonetics helped with understanding of articulation and made possible to follow any courses / guides / scientific papers I lacked next step - to record myself and compare with originals. I ignored this activity for 2.5 years of active studying!!

As for vocabulary I've just continued to follow sequentially page by page my study books. I used to words which I get familiar with only after 2 years of Anki repetition. It really takes time to feel comfortable with words.

Worth to mention easy access to speaking practice:

http://speaking24.com/
https://speak24.net/

RESUME: skill == time, reached plateau => need more practice )) I don't see any contradictions in my learning experience with:

https://support.cambridgeenglish.org/hc ... ning-hours
CEFR Cambridge English Exam Number of Hours (approximate)
C2 Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) 1,000—1,200
C1 Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) 700—800
B2 Cambridge English: First (FCE) 500—600
B1 Cambridge English: Preliminary (PET) 350—400
A2 Cambridge English: Key (KET) 180—200
BTW The goal is still to be able to pass oral interview using English in any country without hassle.
Opt
Благодарил (а): 73 раза

Сообщение Opt »

gavenkoa пишет: 08 ноя 2018, 15:19The only trad
gavenkoa пишет: 08 ноя 2018, 15:19 My plateau consisted of pronunciation difficulties and lack of vocabulary.
Единственное,где плато не может быть в принципе,это произношение. Дам дельный совет,очень дельный.Хотя его и не оценишь и даже спасибо не услышу.Отпусти язык.До Нового года.И только после праздников ,в конце января или начале февраля начни заниматься очень медленно и аккуратно.Тогда и почувствуешь новые грани и увидишь где засела проблема.
Dragon27
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Dragon27 »

You do not climb a plateau, you just walk aimlessly all around it without getting any visible progress :)

You still make some annoying small mistakes in your output, maybe you should try and work them out? Read some explicit advanced grammar textbooks, pay more attention to these grammatical details in input, etc.
Роман Молти
Благодарил (а): 301 раз

Сообщение Роман Молти »

A universe in which you climb plateaus may very well be called into existence, alright. But I do wonder where you buy that powerful wacky-tobacky to make it possible :) Dragon27 and me just happen to occupy a different universe, one in which gravity pulls you down.

You walk around a plateau, but it's not by doing it aimlessly that you hope to make any further progress. You navigate your plateau to find a way up.
За это сообщение автора Роман Молти поблагодарил:
Eager Beaver
gavenkoa
Благодарил (а): 3100 раз

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Dragon27 пишет: 08 ноя 2018, 16:47 You do not climb a plateau, you just walk aimlessly all around it without getting any visible progress :)
Quite agree!

Haven't checked that it should be: Break Through The Learning Plateau. Thanks for pointing it out! This way it even sounds as proper metaphor ))
Ответить