I'm Guilty Of Downloanding Stuff For Free, What About You?

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

alex789
Благодарил (а): 368 раз

Сообщение alex789 »

So, here is a confession I have to make.
I am an avid reader, and I do read a lot.
If I need a book, I don't buy it. I just go to the T website and get it for free. The only book I purchased in the past five years is The Blue Murphy.
I don't buy music, watch movies for free, and don't pay for software.
I'm guilty and ashamed, are you?
Последний раз редактировалось Aksamitka 08 ноя 2018, 13:48, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Причина: Отредактирован заголовок.
Dragon27
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Dragon27 »

I do buy games on Steam (cause it's very cheap and convenient - even though I never actually play them), but that's about it.
Feeling ashamed? Naaah.
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

I would comment on that in Practise Your English,where English is compulsory.
But in this subforum it's gonna be yet another train wreck, so I'll pass..
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

I think that we may feel free to write in English in any subforum. We cannot write in any other language but English in the subforum "Practise Your English" IMHO

I just know some people who don't use free downloads from the Internet.
It is their principal position. I don't know where they can find so much money to buy so many various softs, movies, etc.
I don't use the internet sources much, however, if I had bought everything which I used one time only, I would have robbed banks for paying for them. There are many soft which I either never used, or used only once, and I didn't want to pay for it as I never know whether I would need it at all.
I am using an old XP and the same old applications like Word or Chrome and that is all. Sometimes I download books from Gutenberg.org or watch Youtube.
I am not sure that I must pay for any of those sources. As a matter of fact I didn't even ask anybody if I had to.
Dragon27

Сообщение Dragon27 »

I haven't downloaded non-free software for a very long time. There's so much software nowadays, that I can always find free alternatives to suit most of my needs. Movies and TV-series can probably be "rented" for a relatively cheap subscription fee, or something like that (I'm too lazy to read into it more). What about books, though? I need lots of books, and potentially in many different languages. Some of them can be long out of print. Wiki says:
Since e-book rental distribution rights are totally different from physical books most of the smaller companies are not able to rent e-books for standard publishers like McGraw-Hill, Pearson, Prentice Hall, Cengage etc due to high license fees that needs to be paid for rental rights.
That doesn't do it for me.

What about scientific literature? Scientific knowledge should be free and open!
Here's an interesting letter of solidarity.
gavenkoa
Благодарил (а): 3100 раз

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Don't blame yourself. If you live in poor country without strict intellectual property low enforcement it's a survival strategy.

From the point of success it is wise to take advantage of "free" books than not. Think of it as a visiting a library ))

Check about morality here: http://custodians.online/russian.html

Also check following quotation:
Yes, it is illegal to download ("make copies") of material that is protected by copyright. However, all that is illegal is not criminal. Copyright for the most part is a civil statute, with civil remedies (i.e. the copyright holder sues you for money).
Copying a boot is not the same as sending people to kill other people. Napoleon was a great person, no doubt. But he should be executed before even first man died because of his politics.
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Michelangelo пишет: 08 ноя 2018, 10:13 We cannot write in any other language but English in the subforum "Practise Your English"
That was the idea.To prevent make mindless flooding more difficult.
gavenkoa пишет: 08 ноя 2018, 12:30 Don't blame yourself. If you live in poor country without strict intellectual property low enforcement it's a survival strategy.
From the point of success it is wise to take advantage of "free" books than not. Think of it as a visiting a library ))
what happened to #39 ?

Plateau,you say?
What freakin' plateau?
You are progressing,man.
quantity into quality, indeed )
Happy for you )
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

tourist пишет: 08 ноя 2018, 19:16 what happened to #39 ?
I don't like posts that encourage openly stealing intellectual property. It is better to stay silent as it was on EFL.RU. I liked its policy on subject.

On other hand copyright is an invention of publisher houses to protect sales. It has nothing to do with authors...

They take advantage of low beyond even accepted moral standards.

BTW today I got Swan 4ed special International edition (as I read for Asia, India and developed countries). It's price 2 times lower than "normal" edition. That bargain made a deal ))
tourist пишет: 08 ноя 2018, 19:16 quantity into quality, indeed )
I had doubt about articles and checking them now in dictionary makes thing even worst, because it can be countable/uncountable depending on meaning and I don't like to spend 20 min to get to the proper understanding ((
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

I don't like posts that encourage openly stealing intellectual property
Well,Avaddon didn't really "encourage" to steal.He just suggested an idea.
May be he was talking about asking a friend to borrow the legally acquired soft for" evaluation purposes" or something ...exactly like your recommendation to take advantage of using a
"library" or "survival strategy" )
I mentioned your progress with regard to your changing attitude towards the issue.
A positive change in my opinion.
I had doubt about articles and checking them now in dictionary makes thing even worst, because it can be countable/uncountable depending on meaning
Welcome to the club.
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

gavenkoa пишет: 08 ноя 2018, 22:41 On other hand copyright is an invention of publisher houses to protect sales. It has nothing to do with authors...
Nothing? Only if your authors agree to write their books for nothing.
Перенесено из форума Основной форум об изучении английского языка в форум Practise Your English 09 ноя 2018, 07:35 модератором zymbronia

QwestDay
Благодарил (а): 664 раза

Сообщение QwestDay »

alex789 пишет: 07 ноя 2018, 20:58 I'm guilty and ashamed, are you?
Not really. Should I?
If I hadn't had the opportunity to download books for free, I wouldn't have downloaded them. I realise that it's not OK to use what you hadn't paid for, but If I pay for books which can be used for free, it puts me at a disadvantage. I mean, If books are free for almost everyone, then those who pay for them, pay much more than if the books can't be used without payment. Besides, English books are very expensive for me compared with those who buy them in the developed countries. And, of course, many books are not available and I don't have enough space to store all the books that I want to just take a look at.
alex789

Сообщение alex789 »

Here is the deal. Why did I ask this question?
I have a friend who's living in an X country. I recommended that he watches a particular movie.
He did a research and sent me a message that shocked me.
This is what he said: I found that movie, but Netflix doesn't have a license to share this movie in my country.
I thought to myself, hey, man, here is a link to download it for free. But I kept my mouth shut.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

They are afraid of being suited
Their democracy is not for every one. Anyway, if it isn't your scope of interest, why you should try do use something illegally? He can live without watching movies at all. We, soviet people, cannot :) We got used to the fact that everything belongs to people and cannot get rid of this idea :) We aren't Europeans, we are sovietsky.
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Michelangelo пишет: 09 ноя 2018, 15:11 We got used to the fact that everything belongs to people
It is stated in every Constitution. But every nation is ruled by biased to their own interests forces ))
Philipp
Благодарил (а): 148 раз

Сообщение Philipp »

gavenkoa пишет: 09 ноя 2018, 18:33
Michelangelo пишет: 09 ноя 2018, 15:11 We got used to the fact that everything belongs to people
It is stated in every Constitution. But every nation is ruled by biased to their own interests forces ))
The United Kingdom does not have a constitution.
alex789

Сообщение alex789 »

Michelangelo пишет: 09 ноя 2018, 15:11 They are afraid of being suited
The friend I mine I was talking to is a techy person. He's not afraid to be sued, because he knows how to hide is IP-address, etc.
There might be some another reason. Maybe, we, post-soviet people cannot simply imagine that it exists.
Philipp

Сообщение Philipp »

"We the People of the United States "(The Constitution of the United States)
alex789

Сообщение alex789 »

Philipp пишет: 10 ноя 2018, 20:18 "We the People of the United States "(The Constitution of the United States)
The United Kingdom is not The United States.
Philipp

Сообщение Philipp »

alex789 пишет: 10 ноя 2018, 20:38
Philipp пишет: 10 ноя 2018, 20:18 "We the People of the United States "(The Constitution of the United States)
The United Kingdom is not The United States.
The US separated from England .
The Unanimous Declaration of the thirteen united States of America...
The History of the present King of Great- Britain is a History of repeated Injuries and Usurpations, all having in direct Object the Establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid World.
But they were all drunk when they did scribble it.
They were at a pub.
It had no legal effect.
ivorfuzzle
Благодарил (а): 7 раз

Сообщение ivorfuzzle »

You don't have to feel guilty about it, copying is not theft
Ответить