Alex789 Is Improving His Nice English!

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

alex789
Благодарил (а): 368 раз

Сообщение alex789 »

So, the purpose of this thread is to share with you my experience in becoming a fluent English speaker. And you're welcome to point my mistakes out to me.
I consider myself an upper-intermediate English speaker. Like Britney Spears... not a girl, not yet a woman: not intermediate, not yet advanced.
My current vocabulary is 4,500-5,000 words.
Different online quizzes and tests show that my grammar level is B2. Great, let it be.
End goal: to be able to write and speak fluently in niches I work in:
* marketing;
* pscyhology;
* trophology (I bet you don't even have a clue what it is!);
* finances.
Before I take any action I usually create a plan, set goals, deadlines and so on.
But now I'm just planning.
So, here is a quick background.
I studied English at school, was pretty good at it. In 2015 I joined EFL community and realized I was far from fluency.
Here is a quick plan:
1) Vocabulary
Before I upgrade it, I have to make sure I know 4000 most frequently used words. For this purpose, I will read Paul Nation's series "4000 Essential English Words".
I also found a great Anki desk based on these books, they will help me, I hope, consolidate my knowledge.
It's not a tough task, I think it will take a month or so.

2) Grammar
To be honest, I don't care too much about it, because I believe my grammar is not that sucky. I fully understand The Blue Murphy, and it's not time to scrutinize The Green Hewings, is it, btw?

3) Collocations
This is what I really need! I remember I had some strange feeling like "There might be some book or online service on phrases commonly used by native speakers". I even created a few threads on an old EFL board, but nobody helped me.
For some weird reason, I discovered collocations only a week ago.
I will be using English Collocations in Use, English Collocations in Use - Upper-Intermediate and English Collocations in Use - Advanced by O'Dell and McCarthy.

4) Phrasal verbs
They also are my number one priority.
You see, I understand what "come across" or "put away" mean, but I never use them. It's time to find some great book on phrasal words. I think both The Blue Murphy and McCarthy M., O’Dell F. - English Phrasal Verbs in Use Advanced will serve me greatly.

As you, gentlemen and ladies, see my goal is not to learn as many new words as I can by reading Harry Potter series. Instead, I want to be able to use my 4,5-5000-word vocabulary in an effective way.

This all will take, I hope, 4-6 months, and will make me a weak C1 English speaker.

Any advice, suggestions?

I know this sucks, because this is a passive way of learning.

Hope, I'll be updating this thread regularly. I know I made some mistakes in this message, so you're welcome!

If you'd like to recommend some other books or services, you're also more than welcome.

Brow, Zimbronya, JamesTheBond, and other fellow members, I remember you, hope I'll become an active member of this hrendli kamyuniti.
Последний раз редактировалось zymbronia 17 окт 2019, 22:30, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Причина: Коррекция
За это сообщение автора alex789 поблагодарил:
Умница
Chaika
Благодарил (а): 6 раз

Сообщение Chaika »

You write well.
Since you asked, here are some modifications. Most are grammatical but there are a couple of stylistic ones too.
let it be. -> so be it.
you're right, I have no clue about trophology. You study trophies? :^)
finances -> finance.
joined EFL community ->joined the EFL community
far from fluency ->far from fluent
I know 4000 most -> I know the 4000 most
these books, they will help >these books. They will help
task, I think >task, but I think or: task. I think
::"btw" is unusual at the end of a sentence.
on an old EFL board >on the old EFL board
gentlemen and ladies see my> ladies and gentlemen can see, my
reading Harry > reading the Harry
4,5-5000-word vocabulary > 4500-5000 word vocabulary
in an effective way > effectively.
Hope, I'll be updating > Hope I'll update лучше: I hope to update
I know I made some mistakes > I know I have made some mistakes

Искренне,
ёр френдли нейтив-спикер ов американ инглыш.
За это сообщение автора Chaika поблагодарили (всего 4):
Yety, Tea42, alex789, gavenkoa
alex789

Сообщение alex789 »

Chaika пишет: 05 ноя 2018, 21:46 You write well.
Since you asked, here are some modifications. Most are grammatical but there are a couple of stylistic ones too.
let it be. -> so be it.
you're right, I have no clue about trophology. You study trophies? :^)
finances -> finance.
joined EFL community ->joined the EFL community
far from fluency ->far from fluent
I know 4000 most -> I know the 4000 most
these books, they will help >these books. They will help
task, I think >task, but I think or: task. I think
::"btw" is unusual at the end of a sentence.
on an old EFL board >on the old EFL board
gentlemen and ladies see my> ladies and gentlemen can see, my
reading Harry > reading the Harry
4,5-5000-word vocabulary > 4500-5000 word vocabulary
in an effective way > effectively.
Hope, I'll be updating > Hope I'll update лучше: I hope to update
I know I made some mistakes > I know I have made some mistakes

Искренне,
ёр френдли нейтив-спикер ов американ инглыш.
Chaika, thank you! Nice to see you here!
This is the first time I saw your photo! That cowboy hat is a perfect fit for you!
you're right, I have no clue about trophology. You study trophies? :^
Trophology is a science about food and nutrition. I read and watch a lot on things like healthy eating, pharmageddon, conspiracy theories, etc :)
My wife, our two kids and I are vegans. We don't eat meat, milk-containing products, eggs, potatoes. We prefer mostly raw unprocessed food. This helps us be more energetic, get up earlier, sleep less, and I live a happy life.
I might have used the term "trophology" improperly. I just wanted to establish myself as a super-duper cool guy who knows a rare word :)

Anyway, the problem, as you, ladies and gentlemen see from Chaika's comment, is not my poor vocabulary or lack of understanding the difference between "would" and "used to be". What I suck at is combining words into phrases.

Yesterday before I went to bed I was reading "4000 Essential English Words".
In case you don't know what it is, it's a great monolingual dictionary for intermediate and upper-intermediate learners.
I've read about 60 words, and realized that I learned nothing new. Not surprising :)
Since I understand that persistence is the key to success, I will continue working on it. After that I will swtich to learning collocations.

If you found some mistakes, feel free to let me know about them! I will send you "a mental thank" which is a hundred time more beneficial than these likes and smileys.
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

alex789, Based on the number of errors Chaika had observed, I think that your writing skill is high enough and is subject to checking by such professionals as Chaika. I read your post and I couldn't find out where you could have made mistakes, and of course, I didn't re-read it more carefully deciding that I am not a right person to check your letters :)
Congratulations!

Of course it is not essay for exams, but be sure any English-speaking person will understand you in writing.
alex789

Сообщение alex789 »

Michelangelo пишет: 06 ноя 2018, 17:33 alex789, Based on the number of errors Chaika had observed, I think that your writing skill is high enough and is subject to checking by such professionals as Chaika. I read your post and I couldn't find out where you could have made mistakes, and of course, I didn't re-read it more carefully deciding that I am not a right person to check your letters :)
Congratulations!

Of course it is not essay for exams, but be sure any English-speaking person will understand you in writing.
Thanx for the comment, I do appreciate your attention, and I do remember you from a previous board!
I feel nostalgic today :)
If it's not a secret, why did efl.ru switched to this domain name? I contacted Nina and she referred me here without any explanations. But she's not here.
I feel something important might have happened, but I don't know what it was.
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

alex789 пишет: 06 ноя 2018, 17:28 Trophology is a science about food and nutrition.
Ah, дистрофия. :)
alex789 пишет: 06 ноя 2018, 17:28 I've read about 60 words, and realized that I learned nothing new.
I'd rather write it this way: I read about 60 words and realized that I had learned nothing new. — If you were still talking about yesterday.
alex789 пишет: 06 ноя 2018, 17:28 If you found some mistakes,
If you have found...
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
gavenkoa
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

alex789, you would have joined the facebook group, and it is possible to have read what we discussed back then after the closure of efl.ru :)
In brief, it was Nina's initiative, and she didn't even give any period for closing the efl.ru. It was an immediate decision. She said that efl.ru is exclusively her property and every one who wrote there should have known that they contributed their post in her possession free of any privileges and obligations.
Actually I had noticed her inclination to provoke closure of her site since she banned Cliff for nothing. She was sulky even since. Maybe it happened even before, but specifically I started to see some changes in her moderation exactly from the moment of Cliff's disappearance and I was always ready to learn about efl.ru's closure.
I am sure some other people must have noticed that too.
I think that a reason is lack of motivation to carry on. However, other owners of other forums sometimes have friends to whom they could assign forums or just sell for some amount to not regret about getting rid of them. This time she decided to destroy it in order that nobody should use it any more.
I don't blame her, however, she could give a tree month notice before closing to let people to analyse some of the messages and even to archive some messages.
I wouldn't have read any messages any way even if I had had three month or a year :)
alex789 пишет: 06 ноя 2018, 17:51 I feel something important might have happened, but I don't know what it was.
I ain't see nothing important that could have happened. Nina justified her action by having gotten tired of some annoying members. It could hardly have been a serious reason to give up or rather to get rid of it.
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

What's the deal with being a vegan and not eating potatoes ? )
get up earlier/sleep less... how is this a benefit ?
btw, and I live a happy life

A couple of nitpicks :
- I would rephrase establish myself as: present myself/make myself sound like ..
-ladies and gentlemen -> guys : seems like a register issue, unless said jokingly
- from a the previous board

sitting on the edge of my chair,holding my breath and nervously biting my lips in anticipation of the promised mental "thank + you" or thankS )
alex789

Сообщение alex789 »

Michelangelo пишет: 06 ноя 2018, 18:03 alex789, you would have joined the facebook group, and it is possible to have read what we discussed back then after the closure of efl.ru :)
In brief, it was Nina's initiative, and she didn't even give any period for closing the efl.ru. It was an immediate decision. She said that efl.ru is exclusively her property and every one who wrote there should have known that they contributed their post in her possession free of any privileges and obligations.
Actually I had noticed her inclination to provoke closure of her site since she banned Cliff for nothing. She was sulky even since. Maybe it happened even before, but specifically I started to see some changes in her moderation exactly from the moment of Cliff's disappearance and I was always ready to learn about efl.ru's closure.
I am sure some other people must have noticed that too.
I think that a reason is lack of motivation to carry on. However, other owners of other forums sometimes have friends to whom they could assign forums or just sell for some amount to not regret about getting rid of them. This time she decided to destroy it in order that nobody should use it any more.
I don't blame her, however, she could give a tree month notice before closing to let people to analyse some of the messages and even to archive some messages.
I wouldn't have read any messages any way even if I had had three month or a year :)
alex789 пишет: 06 ноя 2018, 17:51 I feel something important might have happened, but I don't know what it was.
I ain't see nothing important that could have happened. Nina justified her action by having gotten tired of some annoying members. It could hardly have been a serious reason to give up or rather to get rid of it.
I still don't understand what the issue is. But, it's not my job. I'm here, and that's great!

tourist пишет: 06 ноя 2018, 18:46 What's the deal with being a vegan and not eating potatoes ? )
Well, we simply don't eat potatoes. They were brought here by Peter I and had nothing to do with being cooked :) They were just flowers. You can get more information by searching for "potato riots" in Google.
get up earlier/sleep less... how is this a benefit ?
Wouldn't you like to go to bed at 11 pm or at midnight and get up at 5 am full of energy? This is what I experience. Not every day, to be honest.

A couple of nitpicks :
- I would rephrase establish myself as: present myself/make myself sound like ..
-ladies and gentlemen -> guys : seems like a register issue, unless said jokingly
- from a the previous board
sitting on the edge of my chair, holding my breath and nervously biting my lips in anticipation of the promised mental "thank + you" or thankS )
Just sent it. Did you experience it?
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Oh yeah,it was like ... like... boy,it was orgasmic!
...well worth waiting for )
Wouldn't you like to go to bed at 11 pm or at midnight and get up at 5 am
No way!
It would make me feel stabby for an entire day and seriously endanger the lives of people around me
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
Tea42
alex789

Сообщение alex789 »

tourist пишет: 06 ноя 2018, 19:28
Oh yeah,it was like ... like... boy,it was orgasmic!
...well worth waiting for )
Wouldn't you like to go to bed at 11 pm or at midnight and get up at 5 am
No way!
It would make me feel stabby for an entire day and seriously endanger the lives of people around me
wow!

Anyways,

I Wish I Were Homeless
Изображение

I'm an old fart now, and it's time sit back, relax and share with you some stories from my youth.

N years ago I was young, had no beard and used to work as a journalist at a local newspaper.
I was pretty good at writing and storytelling, so later I became a true journalist, but at that time I worked as an ordinary reporter.

My boss (she was a year older than me, always angry for no reason. I didn't hate her, I don't hate people at all, even if they bother me), so she always had errands for me.
It was November ... Oh, boy, I'm writing this now, and I'm starting to remember those times...
Nothing special, but I was single, rented a flat in the suburbs, used to spend an hour to get to work (F..k, which time should I use when I'm telling this story? I was single, I did, I spent, or I used to be, I used to spend, and so on? Or can I use different times?).
Anyways, I got the task to visit an interesting event.

The mayor of our city was a very successful man, and he organized free feeding for homeless people).
It's not a difficult task, I thought and left an office.
Here I have to make a clarification. I have a life-long habit of having my breakfast somewhere at 10-11 am or even later. My plan was to buy something on the road to the event, but I realized that I had forgotten my wallet (is it correct - realized that I had forgotten?).
It was 11 am or something. At noon I got to the place.
What I saw astonished me. There were a lot, plenty of homeless people. They were coming from all sides.
I started interviewing them, asking what they think about this event.
Suddenly a giant truck appeared in the distance. People got excited! Me too! It was pretty cold and the snow was falling.

It was 1 pm or something and I was pretty hungry, but there were no shops to buy a food, and... no wallet in my pocket.
I was doing my job!
I had to take photos of people getting and eating their food.
I still remember it was buckwheat with sausages...
Изображение

Oh, it looked so appetizing... I do lack words to describe my feelings, even now when I'm writing this.
I was doing my job, I was taking more photos and talking to more people asking them how it tasted.
They were so happy. So were I, for them, not for myself.
The truck was gone.
I was hungry. I had nothing in my mouth for over 15 hours! It was a cold windy day, I had no money to buy food, and I knew I had to get back to the office to write an article as fast as possible.
I was a young well-dressed man in a white shirt and long coat.
I wish I were homeless so I could ask for a meal like all these people, I thought to myself looking at the truck that was leaving us.
I was hungry, but not angry. I returned to the office, wrote an article till 5 pm, and went home.
To be honest, I don't remember how I spent the rest of the day. But I can assume I was drinking beer, eating shaurma, and feeling so excited about my life for no reason.
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Two questions:
1. What is this Your IP is blacklisted thingy ?
2, Are you still expecting corrections or not really ?
One of your mistakes is particularly irksome :
grammar tenses not grammar times .. sorry couldn't help it )
Последний раз редактировалось tourist 07 ноя 2018, 20:44, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
alex789

Сообщение alex789 »

tourist пишет: 07 ноя 2018, 20:35 Two questions:
1. What is this Your IP is blacklisted thingy ?
2, Are you still expecting corrections or not really ?
One of your mistakes is particularly irksome :
grammar tenses not grammar times .. sorry couldn't help )
1) I don't fully understand what you mean. Did you see images? What thingy are you talking about?
2) Of course, i do, this is the reason why I published this stuff.
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

http://i.piccy.info/i9/1d1b84bd552bc13a ... usages.jpg
I see two of these in your post .
They are your pictures (book and buckwheat) when opened in Chrome.
Anyway. Not a biggie.
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

My current vocabulary is 4,500-5,000 words
Just curious, which of the four types of vocabulary do you mean--listening, speaking, reading, or writing? How did you find that out? I mean the online resource. I'd like to check mine too.
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

alex789,

First off, I'm not a native English speaker and as an advanced learner, I've been struggling through the innumerable subtleties of the English language for quite a long time. Writing is very challenging at any level of proficiency and although to me writing correctly and idiomatically has always seemed to be an unachievable goal, I'm still trying to develop this skill by keeping up a correspondence with a few friends of mine whose mother tongue is English. They always correct me where I "sound" stylistically unnatural and not idiomatic. And you are absolutely right giving your high priority to collocations, inappropriate usage of which will always betray your foreignness to the native English. Yet since the request for suggestions has been made, here goes a couple of them.
I will be using English Collocations in Use, English Collocations in Use - Upper-Intermediate and English Collocations in Use - Advanced by O'Dell and McCarthy.
I think that learning collocations and using them correctly in writing you can hardly do without a good collocation dictionary. The one which I strongly recommend is the Oxford Collocation Dictionary For Students of English book with CD-ROM (250,000 word combinations) —and luckily there's an online version of it too together with a couple or so more, which also can be googled easily
For some weird reason, I discovered collocations only a week ago.
So there's a high chance you missed binomials too. These are expressions containing two words which are joined by a conjunction (usually "and" or "or"). Since the word order of a binomial pair is usually fixed they should be learned by rote. Wrong word order in a binomial will also betray your foreignness--for example, a native English speaker would hardly ever say "tired and sick" or "crosses and noughts". For a start, you may read a Wikipedia article on the subject, then start browsing for the lists. In addition, there's a book by Л. Ф. Шитова, "Two Is a Company. Dictionary of Pair Idioms", but I'm afraid it's only the tip of the iceberg called binomials.

As for the particular word combination you are going to use, the best (for my money) online resource to check its validity is the Google Ngram Viewer. For example, you have used the combination "consolidate knowledge" which made me want to check it in the Oxford Collocation Dictionary—no results. At the same time, the Ngram Viewer showed its valid usage, even if ten and six times rarer than "accumulate knowledge" and "combine knowledge" but twice more frequently than "strengthen knowledge".

P.S. I'm not sure it has already been pointed out, but I'd put "the" before Harry Potter series because it's a unique serialized set of books. Also, I'd put "a" before Paul Nation's series "4000 Essential English Words" because it seems to be one of his series or there may be other books with the same title--I'm not sure, it's just a gut feeling. I may be wrong here, and if I am, the more advanced learners or the natives will correct me.
Последний раз редактировалось zymbronia 02 мар 2022, 18:44, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
Причина: правка по просьбе автора
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

alex789,
My current vocabulary is 4,500-5,000 words
Just curious, which of the four types of vocabulary do you mean--listening, speaking, reading, or writing? How did you find that out? I mean the online resource. I'd like to check mine too.
Olya
Благодарил (а): 159 раз

Сообщение Olya »

I am afraid I am a bit behind the times but can anyone say how many words in our own native language we know by the age, say, 30?
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Olya,

Your question made me search for "Test your Russian vocabulary" and eventually I found out that if I weren't a Russian native knowing a bit of English, I could boast that my Russian vocabulary size is approximately 35,550 words, which made me laugh. The same results I get on the English sites testing non-natives' lexicon. I'm new here, so I'm not sure whether attaching links is permitted--I've had no time to read all the FAQ section and the rules yet--otherwise, I would have provided a couple of links)
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
Olya
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Olya пишет: 03 фев 2019, 22:14 how many words in our own native language we know by the age, say, 30?
A good question, a nice article on the subject.
Словарный запас носителей русского языка: влияние возраста и образования
Григорий Головин
в тесте производные слова учитывались отдельно, как самостоятельные.
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
gavenkoa
VictorB

Сообщение VictorB »

Olya,

Re: vocabulary size testing, having done the following test I got 26,990 for my Russian vocabulary and 29,450 for the English one, which made me somewhat puzzled. Should you feel like doing it for both the languages, you'd see that the words--their meanings--are ninety-nine percent the same.

The link to the test:
https://www.arealme.com/russian-vocabul ... e-test/en/
За это сообщение автора VictorB поблагодарил:
Olya
gavenkoa
Благодарил (а): 3100 раз

Сообщение gavenkoa »

tourist пишет: 06 ноя 2018, 18:46 get up earlier/sleep less... how is this a benefit ?
First part is about matching awakeness with solar light.

Official medicine treat sleep deprivation as a deadly condition. Sleeping less than 6h a day for extended period of time is considered damaging to our tissues.

In cruel experiments with mice which kept awake they died within 2 weeks from normal skin bacterial infection due to weakened immune system.
gavenkoa
Благодарил (а): 3100 раз

Сообщение gavenkoa »

VictorB пишет: 03 фев 2019, 23:42 I got 26,990 for my Russian vocabulary and 29,450 for the English one
Without methodology of the measurement it is impossible to interpret results. I've got 30100 and it looks like test is limited to 30000.

All those tests are sampling. Final score without deviation is useless. What is the range [30000-X; 30000+Y] that with probabiliy 95% I know 30000 words?

Sure, average Joe doesn't care about *real* scientifically significant results. But in that case we can talk (with Joe) about weather and I always can talk with walls ))
alex789

Сообщение alex789 »

By the way, for those of you, guys, who are interested whether I achieved something, the short answer is 'no'.
The long answer is "No, nothing changed, I didn't even pick up any of the books I've mentioned" :)
zymbronia
Благодарил (а): 195 раз

Сообщение zymbronia »

alex789, you wrote, you decided to have a break from the forum. Was it due to a lot of offtops in your threads or because it really consumed a lot of your time? It it was on the first reason, I can delete those messages you consider offtops from your threads. Anyway, it was a lot funnier with you than without :) We are waiting for you :)
Ответить