Is There an Easy And Enjoyable Way To Learn Collocations?

Как начать изучать язык с нуля, какой метод изучения языка выбрать, получить рекомендации по самостоятельному изучению языка, обсудить другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

alex789
Благодарил (а): 368 раз

Сообщение alex789 »

Я только понял, чего мне не хватает.
Я ориентирован именно на письмо и разговор, а не на поглощение.
Коллокаций мне не хватает.
Я ознакомился с Collocations in Use and Collocations in Use For Advanced, в принципе, половину знать.
Знать мало, надо использовать в речи, это ясно.
Существует ли какой-то онлайн-сервис или чего-нибудь иное для простого изучения коллокаций?
Для грамматики и вокабуляра такое есть.
А как на счет collocations? Ну и phrasal verbs бы заодно подтянуть по эффортлессу?
Кто-нибудь чего подскажет?
Eager Beaver
Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

I would recommend using ozdic.com or another resource available to you as a reference when writing in English.
It also won't hurt if you go over Key Words for Fluency (all levels starting with Pre-Intermediate).
Otherwise, check for possible collocations whenever you come across a new word or expression and keep a sharp lookout for collocates when you read and listen; it helps a lot when you focus on the form as well as content.
This is basically what I am doing to improve my vocabulary.
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарили (всего 3):
Mary May, Yety, alex789
alex789

Сообщение alex789 »

Eager Beaver пишет: 04 ноя 2018, 18:13 I would recommend using ozdic.com or another resource available to you as a reference when writing in English.
It also won't hurt if you go over Key Words for Fluency (all levels starting with Pre-Intermediate).
Otherwise, check for possible collocations whenever you come across a new word or expression and keep a sharp lookout for collocates when you read and listen; it helps a lot when you focus on the form as well as content.
This is basically what I am doing to improve my vocabulary.
I do appreciate your advice, will give it a try.
I still don't understand how to improve my writing and speaking skills without a feedback.
Memorizing collocations is not the way to learn them though...
If there is some online service (not a vocabulary, but something more interesting and attractive) helping us, ESL students learn collocations, let me know, please.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

alex789 пишет: 04 ноя 2018, 20:08 I still don't understand how to improve my writing and speaking skills without a feedback.
Well, there is no easy way, I suppose. The only thing you can do is check your writing before you send an email, post a message, etc.
If it will help (yes, I know about will after if, I just learned that it's possible and am using it here intentionally), here is some feedback for you:
- feedback (not a feedback) - this is uncountable.
- a dictionary (not a vocabulary) - these are not interchangeable. Check this.

I don't know any resources that are specifically dedicated to learning collocations. I agree with you that memorizing collocations is not the way to learn them - it's just so unbearably booooring. But what you can easily do is develop a habit of noticing collocations in text and speech. With some consistent practice you will start progressing by leaps and bounds and eventually will start using collocations more and more naturally.
alex789

Сообщение alex789 »

Eager Beaver пишет: 04 ноя 2018, 20:50
alex789 пишет: 04 ноя 2018, 20:08 I still don't understand how to improve my writing and speaking skills without a feedback.
Well, there is no easy way, I suppose. The only thing you can do is check your writing before you send an email, post a message, etc.
If it will help (yes, I know about will after if, I just learned that it's possible and am using it here intentionally), here is some feedback for you:
- feedback (not a feedback) - this is uncountable.
- a dictionary (not a vocabulary) - these are not interchangeable. Check this.

I don't know any resources that are specifically dedicated to learning collocations. I agree with you that memorizing collocations is not the way to learn them - it's just so unbearably booooring. But what you can easily do is develop a habit of noticing collocations in text and speech. With some consistent practice you will start progressing by leaps and bounds and eventually will start using collocations more and more naturally.
Thanx again!
This is why my English sucks.
I learned, memorized "give a feedback" and thought this phrase was correct.
Regarding the differences between a dictionary and vocabulary, I do understand the meaning of these words, and to be honest I have no clue why I used the "vocabulary" word.
Can I share a piece of advice for you? If you install a free Chrome extension called "Grammarly" you'll find a missing coma in your previous message.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

alex789 пишет: 04 ноя 2018, 21:45 Can I share a piece of advice for you? If you install a free Chrome extension called "Grammarly" you'll find a missing coma in your previous message.
I could have missed one after "practice", which I still think might be optional, but otherwise my punctuation should be OK.
Anyway, punctuation does not happen to be my top priority these days - I have much bigger problems to worry about. :)
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

And thanks for recommending Grammarly. I have it in Chrome but I'm writing this in a different browser. :)
Mary May
Благодарил (а): 2001 раз

Сообщение Mary May »

alex789, you could try the exercises you find on the CD-ROMs attached to any Collocations dictionary. Not sure they are exciting enough - but still.
There are lots of them:
https://www.google.ru/search?q=collocat ... 66&bih=626

Eager Beaver,
Thank you for the link - it's a great resource. Have already shared jt with a few friends of mine )
Wouldn't you like to post it here as well
Subject: Хочу поделиться находками.
Aksamitka пишет: 03 мар 2018, 19:17 Делитесь, пожалуйста, вашими интересными и полезными ресурсами.
Последний раз редактировалось Mary May 04 ноя 2018, 22:39, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
FPlay
Благодарил (а): 83 раза

Сообщение FPlay »

alex789 пишет: 04 ноя 2018, 16:04 Существует ли какой-то онлайн-сервис или чего-нибудь иное для простого изучения коллокаций?
Насчет чего-либо иного - Oxford Collocations Dictionary и The BBI Combinatory Dictionary of English
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Mary May пишет: 04 ноя 2018, 22:31 Wouldn't you like to post it here as well
Subject: Хочу поделиться находками.
Thanks, I didn't know about this thread.
FPlay пишет: 04 ноя 2018, 22:35 Насчет чего-либо иного - Oxford Collocations Dictionary
ozdic.com is basically an online version of this dictionary (at least it bears a remarkable resemblance to its For Students edition).
Zlatko_Berrin
Благодарил (а): 1045 раз

Сообщение Zlatko_Berrin »

alex789 пишет: 04 ноя 2018, 21:45 memorized "give a feedback"
According to 'Collocations in Use", give feedback.
"... the teacher gives us feedback after about a week".

So, although learning collocations through books is not that "Easy And Enjoyable", maybe it`s worth going through the book series 'Collocations in Use' completely? So there wouldn't be such a mistake as "a feedback".
I find these books (including similar ones - Vocabulary, Phrasal Verbs in Use) useful because, for instance, I often meet phrasal verbs from 'Phrasal Verbs in Use' in TV series. The same is appropriate for collocations, I suppose.
alex789

Сообщение alex789 »

Zlatko_Berrin пишет: 10 ноя 2018, 19:21
alex789 пишет: 04 ноя 2018, 21:45 memorized "give a feedback"
According to 'Collocations in Use", give feedback.
"... the teacher gives us feedback after about a week".

So, although learning collocations through books is not that "Easy And Enjoyable", maybe it`s worth going through the book series 'Collocations in Use' completely? So there wouldn't be such a mistake as "a feedback".
I find these books (including similar ones - Vocabulary, Phrasal Verbs in Use) useful because, for instance, I often meet phrasal verbs from 'Phrasal Verbs in Use' in TV series. The same is appropriate for collocations, I suppose.
Thankx, great advice!
I do understand the importance of learning collocations and will follow your advice. But it really is not that easy and enjoyable as I would like it to be :)
FPlay
Благодарил (а): 83 раза

Сообщение FPlay »

Eager Beaver пишет: 04 ноя 2018, 22:55 ozdic.com is basically an online version of this dictionary (at least it bears a remarkable resemblance to its For Students edition)
I have compared them. It looks like some entries, included in the book, are missing on ozdic.com. For instance, there is no entry for praise. I can think of two possible explanations for this. First, an omission made by the compilers of the online version. Second, a deliberate decision to make the online version abridged.

The corresponding entries in the online version and in the book are identical.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

FPlay пишет: 10 ноя 2018, 21:06 First, an omission made by the compilers of the online version. Second, a deliberate decision to make the online version abridged.
I'm inclined to believe ozdic was not compiled officially. :)
There is no reason for Oxford to give away the online version for free. The official website only grants access to Oxford Collocations Dictionary by subscription (click on the menu next to the search bar to see what I mean).
Ответить