Random Writing.

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

life-long learner
Благодарил (а): 18 раз

Сообщение life-long learner »

I've been thinking of writing in English for ages but never really tried it. Some sentences here and there don't count of course. Why don't I write? You might ask. Well, you know - it's hard to do when you are living in Russia and speaking Russian all day long. Still, I haven't given up on that. I wish I could write properly, and I also wish I could persuade myself to have some writings daily. Chinara's suggestion is very interesting but I can't even pretend I'll be able to do such a task for a month let alone for 100 days. So I've decided to write when I have time and the mood as much as I can. I won't join Challenge though.

----------------------
I'll be very glad to have all my mistakes pointed out.
За это сообщение автора life-long learner поблагодарили (всего 2):
well well well, deaptor
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

life-long learner пишет: 07 мар 2018, 16:46 I'll be very glad to have all my mistakes pointed out.
None that I can spot. Try again. :)
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
vvinnie
life-long learner

Surely You're Joking, Mr. Acapnotic.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

life-long learner пишет: 07 мар 2018, 17:26 Surely You're Joking, Mr. Acapnotic.
No, I'm in deadly earnest.
life-long learner пишет: 07 мар 2018, 16:46 I won't join Challenge though.
I have another challenge for you and other forum members willing to have some less formal practise. I vaguely remember we did it on the old forum — it's writing a story together, each co-author in turn. I begin and write one paragraph or so. You copy my last sentence and continue from there on. Then someone else may feel like participating. The rule is not to make posts too long. But if you wait for some time and see that nobody continues your post, you may write another one if you have any ideas, and so on. There will be no plot made up in advance, just write any nonsense that comes to your mind but so that it will look more or less like a story, albeit stupid one. The goal is to practise our English, make use of new words and collocations, not to write a novel that will make us famous.

What do you think? If you agree, you may start the story yourself.
life-long learner

Once upon a time, there was a frog. (All good stories must begin like this.) The frog was fat and ugly and liked eating chickens. Why did it like eating chickens I don't really know but it did. So, naturally, the frog went to a restaurant -it was a fried chicken restaurant of course- for its dinner and asked a fried chicken. Then suddenly an alive chicken appeared in front of the frog and said: "You bastard had eaten so many chickens that I have now all the rights to eat you as well!" Poor frog was already green but became even greener than ever.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

life-long learner пишет: 07 мар 2018, 18:43 Then suddenly an alive chicken appeared in front of the frog and said: "You bastard had eaten so many chickens that I have now all the rights to eat you as well!" Poor frog was already green but became even greener than ever.
That at first surprised the evil chicken and then reminded him (let it be a man) of a very green potato that he once found, eaten and then nearly died because such potatoes have some poison in them (but don't ask me how they call it in English, I don't know). This sad memory made the chicken to puke on the table and shit on the floor, and, lo and behold! there comes the owner of the restaurant and kicks the poor chicken out of the door. The frog came to the conclusion that it was probably a good idea to leave the place as well, and so she (let it be a woman) did.
Chaika
Благодарил (а): 6 раз

Сообщение Chaika »

persuade myself to do some writing daily / every day
can't pretend I'd be able to
have time and am in the mood

Good statement!
За это сообщение автора Chaika поблагодарили (всего 4):
well well well, life-long learner, Заур, Belka_Teacher
paveltashkinov
Благодарил (а): 318 раз

Сообщение paveltashkinov »

Hardly had the frog sprung away from the restaurant's premises when a car rode over it. The car's driver, blithe and nonchalant, threw a cigarette butt out the window and spat.
Егор
Благодарил (а): 37 раз

Сообщение Егор »

Luckily the frog didn't "croak". She crawled in pain to the still lit cigarette butt, picked it up and took a couple of drags only to realize that it was a no ordinary cigarette.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Егор пишет: 09 мар 2018, 20:30 only to realize that it was a no ordinary cigarette.
And also to realize that she was now as flat as a sheet of paper and couldn't really smoke. So she began to recall all prayers to all gods she knew and tried them one after another, and one of them worked! She suddenly jumped up and was as round as before. Unfortunately, nobody knows how long it takes for a prayer to be answered, so it remained unknown which god performed the miracle and therefore really exists.
zymbronia
Благодарил (а): 195 раз

Сообщение zymbronia »

life-long learner пишет: 07 мар 2018, 16:46 I've been thinking of writing in English for ages but never really tried it
Maybe it is high time that we took some topics from FCE or CAE and wrote some essays, letters, reports, etc? I need such kind of writing badly but I am too scared to even start it, however, I could write a lot of common messages in English, but it is different.
paveltashkinov
Благодарил (а): 318 раз

Сообщение paveltashkinov »

zymbronia пишет: 25 мар 2018, 22:46
life-long learner пишет: 07 мар 2018, 16:46 I've been thinking of writing in English for ages but never really tried it
Maybe it is high time that we took some topics from FCE or CAE and wrote some essays, letters, reports, etc? I need such kind of writing badly but I am too scared to even start it, however, I could write a lot of common messages in English, but it is different.
Why don't you try it?)
Belka_Teacher
Благодарил (а): 3869 раз

Сообщение Belka_Teacher »

zymbronia, comma splice detected)))
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

Belka_Teacher, Did I miss it, or did I put an extra one?
Belka_Teacher

zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

It it relates to post 11, I have re-read it three times. I can only see that I missed comma before "but", but I don't thnk that this could be called "comma spilice". Or I understand this term wrongly.

Please show me the place where I missed comma. Before "but"?
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

zymbronia пишет: 28 мар 2018, 06:51Before "but"?
Before "however".
zymbronia

Сообщение zymbronia »

I usually can see comma before "however" in books. I thought it is the same as putting comma before "but" :) If you mean that I should have used a semi column there. Maybe. But I cannot understand how we can put semi column in the middle in the sentence.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

zymbronia пишет: 28 мар 2018, 07:02 But I cannot understand how we can put semi column in the middle in the sentence.
Semicolon.
zymbronia пишет: 25 мар 2018, 22:46 I need such kind of writing badly but I am too scared to even start it, however, I could write a lot of common messages in English, but it is different.
This is actually two sentences put together.
I need such kind of writing badly but I am too scared to even start it.
However, I could write a lot of common messages in English, but it is different.
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
Belka_Teacher
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3371 раз

Сообщение Yety »

I am too scared to even start it, however, I could write a lot of common messages in English
acapnotic пишет: 28 мар 2018, 09:21 This is actually two sentences put together.
I need such kind of writing badly but I am too scared to even start it.
However, I could write a lot of common messages in English, but it is different.
Excuse my sticking in.
zymbronia пишет: 28 мар 2018, 07:02 I usually can see a comma before "however" in books.
I believe you might also feel the problem with the comma instead of a semicolon here if you realise that "however" may be interpreted as belonging to either the first or the second clause:
I am too scared to even start it, however. I could write a lot of common messages in English.
I am too scared to even start it. However, I could write a lot of common messages in English.
That's where I actually had to re-read the original sentence to figure out what it actually meant, btw.

Yet, even without 'however' a semicolon is needed here.
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
Belka_Teacher
Belka_Teacher

Yety, kaznit nelza pomilovat'
))))
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Belka_Teacher пишет: 28 мар 2018, 13:41 kaznit nelza pomilovat'
(Panda) eats shoots and leaves:-)