→ B2 First и дальше

Как начать изучать язык с нуля, какой метод изучения языка выбрать, получить рекомендации по самостоятельному изучению языка, обсудить другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

QwestDay
Благодарил (а): 664 раза

Сообщение QwestDay »

Hi there!

Why you shouldn't come to Britain (John Oliver at his best):

https://www.mboxdrive.com/cup Bugle 223 ... t.net).mp3

[from the Bugle 223, roughly 2013]
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

tourist пишет: 04 июл 2020, 19:32 sure,it took me a while to get used
Never say it myself,though.
cause eight thirty is way better..
alanta
Благодарил (а): 545 раз

Сообщение alanta »

tourist пишет: 04 июл 2020, 15:17
QwestDay пишет: 04 июл 2020, 08:12 They often use 'host of' on the news. What's the better quantifier?
I would prefer a bunch of books, a number of books, tons of books,
a shelffull / shelf full of books,even shitload of books )
but, as I said ... not a biggie.
alanta пишет: 04 июл 2020, 11:09 But yesterday I bought a clipboard. I attached a highlighter, a pen and several Units of Advanced Grammar in Use by Martin Hewings to it. Last two days I've been studying Unit a day, and here's what I think about it:
I like it, except:
- [For the] last two days I've been ...
А совсем без For the здесь нельзя? Я просто встречала такое, но, возможно, в других контекстах. Для меня этот момент до сих пор не совсем понятен - в чем, например, разница между last year и the last year, last week и the last week, и т.п.? Я сама чаще артикль ставлю, чем не ставлю, но никогда не уверена как правильно.
tourist пишет: 04 июл 2020, 15:17 - studying a unit a day
Я просто подумала, что раз вы не изменили в оригинале, то здесь можно и так - без артикля)
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

alanta пишет: 04 июл 2020, 20:03 разница между last year и the last year, last week и the last week, и т.п.? Я чаще сама артикль ставлю, но никогда не уверена как правильно.
it's a can of worms , I'd rather stay away
Я просто подумала, что раз вы не изменили в оригинале, то здесь можно и так - без артикля)
I missed the "been" too )
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
alanta
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

alanta пишет: Для меня этот момент до сих пор не совсем понятен - в чем, например, разница между last year и the last year, last week и the last week, и т.п.
Если как наречие употребляете (типа вчера/сегодня), то артикль не нужен. Предлог, соответственно, тоже. И время там будет прошедшее - период закрылся.
I saw him yesterday/last week/last year.

Если present perfect, то имеется в виду текущий период, примыкающий к настоящему моменту. За период/ в течение последних двух дней я совершил.... Это уже как одно большое существительное, так что там артикль и без предлога никак.
I've accomplished a lot in the last few days.
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
alanta
nikolai ivanovich
Благодарил (а): 28 раз

Сообщение nikolai ivanovich »

last или the last - правило очень простое
last month у нас был июнь, поскольку сейчас июль
the last month - период с 6 июня по 6 июля
За это сообщение автора nikolai ivanovich поблагодарил:
alanta
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

A little update on Hewings' book - it has very informative explanations in the answers!

I've completed the first 10 Units and it's great!
За это сообщение автора QwestDay поблагодарили (всего 2):
Eager Beaver, Белая Мишка
Eager Beaver
Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

QwestDay пишет: 13 июл 2020, 22:13 I've completed the first 10 Units and it's great!
Главное не заморачиваться слишком по поводу недостаточного количества упражнений и скупых объяснений. Прочитаете, упражнения поделаете, появится представление, что "и так тоже можно". Когда будете сталкиваться на практике - кликнет. На мой дилетантский взгляд, вся грамматика, необходимая для активного использования, отрабатывается на 1-2,5 уровня ниже.
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Eager Beaver,
I worked in the following way, although I haven't finished the whole book:
I read the theory with a pencil + listened to & repeated the examples.
Then I did the exercises in written form (online - I have a code), looked at my mistakes/alternative options.
Repeated the exercises in a couple of days but orally + tried to fast-pace + recorded myself.
If I made any mistakes/forgot about some alternatives - added them to Quizlet grammar cards.
And then I got inunated with work at my uni and dropped everything :)
Последний раз редактировалось Juliemiracle 13 июл 2020, 23:09, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарили (всего 2):
Eager Beaver, gavenkoa
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Eager Beaver пишет: 13 июл 2020, 22:43 На мой дилетантский взгляд, вся грамматика, необходимая для активного использования, отрабатывается на 1-2,5 уровня ниже.
mostly +++
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

Juliemiracle пишет: 13 июл 2020, 23:08 I worked in the following way,
Хороший способ, если нужно выжать из книги максимум.
Не смог сейчас найти бумажную книгу - куда-то исчезла :( Завтра скачаю - попробую посмотреть, какие именно информативные объяснения настолько впечатлили QwestDay.
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Eager Beaver пишет: 14 июл 2020, 00:12 какие именно информативные объяснения настолько впечатлили QwestDay.
I believe he likes the fact that not only do the keys provide a range of correct answers but they also explain the difference between them, the frequency, and other nuances at times.
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарили (всего 2):
QwestDay, Belka_Teacher
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Eager Beaver пишет: 14 июл 2020, 00:12 впечатлили
Look at the answers to Units 9 and 10.

Like yuo expect on Advanced level, at times this book details some connotations, register and meaning features of grammar forms.
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

In the Unit 13 (Other ways of talking about the future) I finally found the explanations the following expressions:

- be about to + inf; on the verge of ...; on the brink of...; on the point of... - have quite the same meaning, but on the brink of refers to sth important, exciting, or very bad
- be due to (+ inf) - is used to say that sth is expected to happen at a particular time (due to + noun - is used to give reasons for sth)
- be sure/bound to (+ inf) - is used to that sth is likely or certain to happen
- be set to (+inf) - conveys the idea that sth is ready to happen

Not much, but I'd love to read sth similar about other expressions, for example when I am supposed to use "and whatnot", "and the like", "and otherwise", "the lot" etc.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

QwestDay пишет: 15 июл 2020, 21:17 but I'd love to read sth similar about other expressions, for example when I am supposed to use "and whatnot", "and the like", "and otherwise", "the lot" etc.
Это, скорее всего, нужно смотреть в vocabulary books. Например, в Vocabulary in Use Advanced есть юнит о vague language.
Последний раз редактировалось Eager Beaver 15 июл 2020, 21:44, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарил:
QwestDay
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

QwestDay пишет: 15 июл 2020, 21:17 In the Unit 13 (Other ways of talking about the future) I finally found the explanations the following expressions:
Аналогичные юниты есть во многих advanced grammar books, например:
MyGrammarLab C1/C2. Unit 28 Other ways of expressing the future
или
Longman Advanced Learners' Grammar. Unit 5.1 Expressions with future meaning, Unit 5.2 Verbs with future meaning
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Some new information (to me) found in Units 9-14 in Hewings' book:

When the future event does not depend on the action described in the if-clause, we use be going to, not will (found mainly in spoken English):
There is difference between:
I'm going to open a bottle of lemonade, if you want some
I'll open a bottle of lemonade if you want some (9E)

We don't use the present continuous for the future when: we make or report predictions about activities or events over which we have no control (can't arrance these):
I think it's going to rain soon. (10C)

The future continuous, future perfect and future perfect continuous can also be used to say what we believe or imagine is happening around now:
We could ask to borrow Jim's car. He won't be using it today - he went to work by bike.
Most people will have forgotten the fire by now.
Tennis fans will have been queuing at Wimbledon all day to buy tickets.

We can use future perfect continuous to say what we think was happening at a point in the past:
Motorist Alan Hesketh will have been asking himself whether speed cameras are a good idea after he was fined £100 last week for driving at 33 mph in a 30 mph zone. (11D)

We often use be+to+infinitive in if-clauses to say that sth must happen first (in the main clause) before sth else can happen (in the if-clause):
If the human race is to survive, we must look at environmental problems now.
The law needs to be revised if justice is to be done.
Compare:
If Jones is to win gold at Olympics, he needs to work on his fitness
If Jones wins gold at Olympics, he has said that he will retire from athletics. (12B)

We use some verbs with a to-infinitive to talk about intentions (agree, aim, expect, hope, intend, plan, promise, propose, resolve, undertake and want:
I'm aiming to get to Bangkok by the end of June. (13B)

Future seen from the past:
use was/were to + infinitive (for things that actually happened) and
was/were to have + past participle (for things that were expected but didn't happen) (more naturally use be supposed to)
The meeting was to have taken place in the hall, but had to be cancelled at the last moment.
It was to take 48 hours to get to Japan and we were exhausted when we arrived. (14B)
За это сообщение автора QwestDay поблагодарили (всего 2):
Eager Beaver, gavenkoa
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Let's proceed! The new information from Units 15-24:

We can use will to draw conclusions or state assumptions about things that are the case now (16C)
Jack will be at home by now,. Let's go and see him.
You will know that John and Sandra are engaged. (= I believe you already know)

We don't use either used to or would when we say exactly how many times in total something happened, how long something took, or that a single event happened at a given past time (16D):
We visited Switzerland for times during the 1970s. (not We would/used to visit...)

To talk about an unreal past situation - that is, an imaginary situation or a situation that might have happened in the past, but didn't - we use would have + past participle (16E):
I would have been happy to see him, but I didn't have time.
My grandmother wouldn't have approved of the exhibition.

When we want to indicate that we think a past situation actually happened, we prefer will have + past participle (16E):
As you will have noticed, he's got new glasses

we can use a pattern may/might not + bare inf...but... or may/might not have+past participle+...but... to say that a person or thing compensates to some extent for a limitation or weakness by haveng another characteristic (17D):
The painting may not be a masterpiece, but you've got to admit that the colours are striking.

Use may/might(not 'can')+have+past participle and may/might(not 'can')+be+-ing to talk about possible events in the past, present and future (17E)
His maths may/might have improved by the time the exam comes round. (future)

Sometimes we can use either have to or have got to. If have os contracted (e.g. I've) then we must include got (18D):
The experiment has failed twice before, so it's got to work this time (not ...so it's to work this time.)

We don't use have got to with other modal verbs(18D):
Employees will have to accept the new conditions or be dismissed.

Some people prefer needn't when it is the speaker who decides the lack of necessity, and don't have to when external rules or sb else's actions make sth unnecessary (19C)

(About verbs appear, look, prove, seem and turn out) we tend to leave out to be in more formal English:
She seems (to be) a very efficient salesperson.
За это сообщение автора QwestDay поблагодарил:
Eager Beaver
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

The first paragraph read today (The world according to Clarkson. Vol. 2) contained will have + past participle to say that sth actually happened:

Given the American military's dreadful reputation for so-called friendly fire incidents, many people will not have been surprised last week when it was revealed that one of its F-15 jets dropped a bomb on Yorkshire.
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

QwestDay, отчасти поэтому я считаю, что нужно прочитать максимум грамматики как можно раньше, хотя бы ознакомительно.
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарил:
QwestDay
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Eager Beaver, а если этого не сделать, то безосновательно будешь думать что всё понятно, когда нет
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

tourist пишет: 04 июл 2020, 20:20 alanta пишет: ↑04 июл 2020, 20:03
разница между last year и the last year, last week и the last week, и т.п.? Я чаще сама артикль ставлю, но никогда не уверена как правильно.
tourist пишет: 04 июл 2020, 20:20 it's a can of worms , I'd rather stay away
To me, the following explanation (and user Jay's pithy coment on it) seems just about enough to bear in mind, steering clear of that can)))
https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... -last-year
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Сделал вчера reading/Use по CAE, сегодня по CPE. Количество ошибок - примерно одинаковое, а по баллам на CPE +13. Среднее вытягивает на С в обоих экзаменах. Сегодня ещё Listening CPE сделаю, а то решение навязывается само собой.
За это сообщение автора QwestDay поблагодарил:
Eager Beaver
Eager Beaver

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

QwestDay пишет: 23 авг 2020, 18:43 Количество ошибок - примерно одинаковое
У меня то же самое было.

Раз вы все равно готовитесь, кмк, можно сразу к СРЕ, а книги по САЕ использовать для наращивания мышцы.
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Вчера Listening САЕ был 20/30. Сегодня CPE - 24/30 (один балл не засчитал за слово stomack). То есть, 220 баллов вместо 185. По трём частям выходит как бы С - 211 баллов. Вроде всё очевидно, - 10 месяцев курсов и вперёд - к звездам. Только вот планировал в Октябре САЕ сдать со знакомой (если не отменят, у нас мало людей собирается), теперь думаю потяну ли и то и другое..
Ответить