→ B2 First и дальше

Как начать изучать язык с нуля, какой метод изучения языка выбрать, получить рекомендации по самостоятельному изучению языка, обсудить другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

FPlay
Благодарил (а): 83 раза

Сообщение FPlay »

QwestDay пишет: 29 окт 2019, 09:31вот это!
тогда оснований для Past Perfect-а еще меньше
общая закономерность выражается Present Simple. тогда
When decisions are made on the spur of the moment, it seems obvious that no proper thought is put into that
или, еще лучше, ввести субъект действия
When decisions are made on the spur of the moment, it seems obvious that one puts no proper thought into that
За это сообщение автора FPlay поблагодарил:
QwestDay
QwestDay
Благодарил (а): 664 раза

Сообщение QwestDay »

Hi folks!

CAE authentic papers, Test 3, Reading and Use, part 4 (transformations, 3-6 words). Задание:

Hannah's essay doesn't have a clear enough explanation of the main point to be awarded top marks.
CLEARLY
Hannah's essay doesn't .............. to be awarded top marks.

Мой ответ: clearly explain the main point

Правильный ответ:
СпойлерПоказать
explain the main point | clearly enough
Вопрос: Допустимо ли предложение как у меня, почему у них такой порядок слов?
Ленья
Благодарил (а): 662 раза

Сообщение Ленья »

Там, похоже, всё дело в enough.
...недостаточно хорошо раскрывает главную мысль, чтобы заслужить высокую оценку.
Кажется, ваш вариант был бы нормальным, если бы отсутствовала вторая часть предложения
За это сообщение автора Ленья поблагодарил:
QwestDay
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Ленья, Да, я пока здесь писал, заметил отсутствие enough..
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

QwestDay,
Ленья is absolutely right. You should try and stick to the original as much as you can, so 'enough' should definitely be there; otherwise, there's a change of meaning.
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарил:
QwestDay
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Какой имеется в виду год? (Задание из сборника тестов CAE):

In the century and a half to 1850, (grain yields and animal products doubled because of the clover revolution)
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

QwestDay,
I read the whole paragraph here (http://practicemakesperfect.cambridge.o ... 848068.pdf), and I'd translate it as "через полтора века, к 1850 году" because they mention the 17th century before that and the British industrial revolution which took place between 1820 and 1840.
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарил:
QwestDay
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Всем привет!

Test 5 официального сборника CAE, Use of English №4:

My friends and I are looking for alternative accommodation because our apartment building is being pulled down.
ELSE (3-6 words)
My friends and I are looking for ....................... live because our apartment building is being pulled down.
СпойлерПоказать
правильный ответ: somewhere ELSE | to
Мой вопрос: Можно ли считать мой ответ (a place somewhere ELSE to) грамматически правильным?
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

looking for a place somewhere else to live
not sure about the exam, but IRL it would be sort off acceptable
although in your particular example it sounds awkward.
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарил:
QwestDay
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

QwestDay пишет: 15 дек 2019, 20:49 Мой вопрос: Можно ли считать мой ответ (a place somewhere ELSE to) грамматически правильным?
По-моему, нет.

You are sticking an adverbial phrase (somewhere else) in the middle of a noun phrase (a place to live), thus breaking up the noun phrase. You could say, They are looking for a place (to live) somewhere else (not in this building).

In their answer they are using somewhere else to live as a noun phrase, with somewhere (as a pronoun) being the head. In this case you can't use place on top of somewhere because a noun phrase can only have one head. It's like saying, I'm looking for her my friend.
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
QwestDay
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Всем привет, давно не писал,

Удивительно как все перевернулось со времен FCE - на экзамене у меня был максимум по Reading’у, теперь в пробниках CAE я еле дотягиваю до С1 - всегда не хватает времени на одно задание, читаю долго и всё равно не успеваю.
В то же время, у меня был низкий результат по Listening’у, а в последних трех пробниках CAE - 27-28 из 30, что чуть выше границы С2, в Sample 2 даже 29 выбил!

Так что, нужно думать как ускоряться в чтении, а я даже на русском читаю медленно(((
Eager Beaver
Благодарил (а): 901 раз

Сообщение Eager Beaver »

QwestDay пишет: 01 фев 2020, 20:09 Так что, нужно думать как ускоряться в чтении
Я бы обратил внимание на следующее:
- читать все подряд, чтобы легко ориентироваться в объемных сложных текстах, в том числе на незнакомые и неинтересные темы;
- работать над кратковременной памятью (мне кажется, это колоссально упрощает задачу работы с любым текстом на экзамене);
- выучить (переосмыслить) лексико-грамматические связки, простые и неочевидные, которыми пользуются авторы материалов, которые считаются качественными;
- работать над проблемными типами заданий конкретного экзамена.
За это сообщение автора Eager Beaver поблагодарили (всего 2):
QwestDay, gavenkoa
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Всем моё почтение!

Правильно ли я понял что если что-то "is available from sb/sth" (например, Tickets are available from the box office.),значит ты можешь туда пойти (box office) и они там находятся (tickets)? В задании PET нашёл для себя новое))
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

Правильно ли я понял что если что-то "is available from sb/sth" (например, Tickets are available from the box office.),значит ты можешь туда пойти (box office) и они там находятся (tickets)?
yes, but the stress is not on the fact that the tickets are there,
but that you can get them there )
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарили (всего 2):
QwestDay, gavenkoa
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

Смохну пыль с темы, вот эссей заделал (не знаю откуда задание, ориентируюсь на формат САЕ):
СпойлерПоказать
Изображение
It is common knowledge that computer technologies have a significantly positive effect on our lives. In particular, they are advantageous to such aspects of everyday life as access to information and doing shopping and receiving services.

To begin with, computer technologies are instrumental in gaining access to information. Today, by means of an average computer, almost any information can be obtained at the push of a button. Not only does the speed of getting information has dramatically increased, but also a variety of available topics has expanded infinitely. For example, anyone, if necessary, within an hour can learn something new, make a decision, read reviews about any product and plan further actions.

Another important sphere of life that is being improved by computer technologies is online shopping for goods and services. It saves time. Similarly, it saves money, as there are services that compare the prices of products. Any person can have almost any product delivered within hours. Having said that, online shopping cannot totally replace other types of shopping, since some physical characteristics of some products, for example, furniture, cannot be assessed through the Internet.

Overall, I am convinced that doing online shopping by using computer technologies gives more advantages to everyday lives than access to information does. Unfortunately, today the Internet is inundated with superfluous information and advertising. It makes online surfing more time-consuming and less productive, as intrinsically valuable information belongs to those who have it and is rarely shared. By contrast, by means of online shopping, anyone can get exactly what they wanted.

________________________________________________________________________________________

Конечно, вывод выглядит длинным, в осн параграфах нет ссылки на избыточность информации как в выводе, вероятно нужно её добавить, но личное мнение же в конце идёт. Зато посмотрел видео про Topic Sentence для осн параграфов. Надеюсь, они удались.

Кроме обычного пожелания увидеть отзывы/ошибки, главный вопрос - что с этим всем делать? - я пытаюсь понять насколько я готов к этому CAE. (Сейчас пока сдачи не предвидется, я думаю ориентироваться на осень). Конечно, есть проблема времени, вот это заняло 1 час 40 минут, что совсем не хорошо, видимо пока надо заняться ускорением.
За это сообщение автора QwestDay поблагодарил:
Eager Beaver
diggerzz
Благодарил (а): 142 раза

Сообщение diggerzz »

I'm just on my way to B2First, but...
QwestDay пишет: 16 май 2020, 23:28 It is common knowledge
Essay, in general, is about your opinion and your arguments, which is going to prop up your opinion.
It's not about your believes, or about what common (in your opinion) knowledge is. So "It is common knowledge" is a little bit cocky, I think.
QwestDay пишет: 16 май 2020, 23:28 Overall, I am convinced
Are there some policemen, who brought you up to give us some confession?

Anyway, that is a way better than any essay I could make by myself in forty minutes.
QwestDay

Сообщение QwestDay »

diggerzz, There are some books for preparing for the exam where introduction has phrases like "many people believe ..." and many books with conclusion with "I am convinced that ...". But, I agree that phrase "common knowledge" can be too intense
diggerzz

Сообщение diggerzz »

QwestDay пишет: 17 май 2020, 08:31 and many books with conclusion with "I am convinced that ...".
Yes, I think in that case I was the person who was too intense.
There was not so humble loud and proud opinion there.
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

just one (and probably irrelevant) comment ...
even though the task specifically mentioned computer technology
it sounds obsolete.
Modern term is information technology

diggerzz,
Yeah, it's very true what you're saying
I was just considering the test format limitations.
computer technology sounds even worse.

I remember times when internet was called The information superhighway. )
Последний раз редактировалось tourist 17 май 2020, 16:12, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
diggerzz

Сообщение diggerzz »

tourist пишет: 17 май 2020, 15:45 it sounds obsolete.
Modern term is information technology
If talking of modern usage of terms it should be just IT.
No sane person, even in formal context, will use the term "information technology".
IMHO, "information technology" will soon be marked as formal even in academic dictionaries.
diggerzz

Сообщение diggerzz »

tourist пишет: 17 май 2020, 15:58 computer technology sounds even worse. )
Can't agree more.
tourist пишет: 17 май 2020, 15:58 I was just considering the test format limitations.
BTW, how do you think about such tests?
Some people, even on this forum, consider these tests as useless or even harmful for master a foreign language.
But when I began my preparation to B2First it has (surprisingly, how can it be) turned out that (swear words under the spoiler)
СпойлерПоказать
На словах я Лев Толстой, а на деле хуй простой.
I, personally, can't see what is wrong in teaching to be concise and to be strait to the point.
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

diggerzz пишет: 17 май 2020, 16:21 BTW, how what do you think about such tests?
I think there is definitely room for such tests in the teaching/learning process.
We just have to call a spade a spade.
The purpose of doing these kinds of exercises
is to learn the basics with the goal of eventually moving on to the real McCoy. (real language).
We have to learn the rules of the game first
before attempting to cut corners.

PS
I'm not about to open a can of worms by getting into the nitty-gritty of educational techniques. )

format's limitations (
За это сообщение автора tourist поблагодарили (всего 2):
Eager Beaver, QwestDay
diggerzz

Сообщение diggerzz »

tourist пишет: 17 май 2020, 17:00 We have to learn the rules of the game first
before attempting to cut corners
Couldn't say better.
I'd like to add up that there must be some bait that is enough to one to hold them into English.
Otherwise it is useless.
Have seen some people who wanted to "make themselves surrounded by English" because of a vacation or other free-time opportunity.
Where are they now? Have they still been trying to be surrounded?
Последний раз редактировалось diggerzz 17 май 2020, 17:49, всего редактировалось 2 раза.
tourist

Сообщение tourist »

diggerzz пишет: 17 май 2020, 17:25 Where are they now? Have they still been trying to be surrounded?
they are now completely submerged = under water )
Последний раз редактировалось tourist 17 май 2020, 17:43, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
diggerzz

Сообщение diggerzz »

tourist пишет: 17 май 2020, 17:33 they are now completely submerged under water )
Or mystically disappeared.
Ответить