Brainy quotes

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Irregardless
Благодарил (а): 583 раза

Сообщение Irregardless »

I do love the site https://www.brainyquote.com/
Let’s grab one inspirational quote from there every day and discuss that.
I hope you don’t mind if I start.
“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today.”
Quite a memorable one.
What do you think, guys?
Do you prefer getting ready for something beforehand, or doing several things at once?
Do you like planning or multitasking?
Would you rather use a bullet journal or a diary?
What do you think about using planners or smart services like https://monday.com/ , http://habitica.com
or https://smartprogress.do, and Google Calendar?
За это сообщение автора Irregardless поблагодарили (всего 3):
Белая Мишка, Akiko, Manekineko
Jolly Roger
Благодарил (а): 65 раз

Сообщение Jolly Roger »

Postponing and delaying everything? Guilty!
Procrastinating? Hell yeah!
Missing deadlines? All the time!

OK, maybe I'm exaggerating just a bit, but still I wouldn't call myself a very organised person. For example, I paid for my web hosting and a domain name in April, but started making my website just a week before September, 1.

I had a few things I wanted to sell before moving house so I would have fewer boxes to carry - failed badly, didn't even put anything up for sale.

If I have to prepare for a lesson, I often leave it till late at night or even next morning and then it becomes really hectic.

However, I use lists from time to time: I ask myself "what do I need to do today/this week/this month?" Then I'll make a list of important things and start crossing them out when they are done. This feeling of accomplishment is very satisfying.
За это сообщение автора Jolly Roger поблагодарил:
Irregardless
Irregardless
Благодарил (а): 583 раза

Сообщение Irregardless »

Jolly Roger, quite uplifting, hah! Another suitable quote: "Procrastination is like a credit card: it's a lot of fun until you get the bill." :D
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
* My speculations on everything that I see around me. *
Too much waffle, but sorry for that, I just think that this thread is specially created for that.
"Let us remember: One book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world. "
This is quite an optimistic quote. However, I believe that an exhausted teacher cannot change anything, but rather would spoil everything. It is like me now. Too many tasks to do: some research, studies, work, leisure activities and only me to do them. The more work I have upfront, the slower I work. But what most significant is, it is better not to concentrate on some small things a lot, and dedicate more attention to some important, crucial, critical things, not to be stressed too much or frustrated when some small details are not good enough. The world is not perfect and we are not perfect as well. I have almost finished the TEFL course (1 lesson is left). As for the TESOL, Creative Writing, and Cambridge Assessment courses, I have not passed them yet, but I bought and will do the last course later and I am planning to have completed the TESOL and Creative Writing by next summer. My major appeared to be related more to some kind of linguistic analysis, speechwriting, and politics, rather than to real English or teaching, because the major is called Fundamental and Applied Linguistics: Political Linguistics. Now I am writing some research on the theme dedicated to the linguacultural peculiarities of the linguistic personality Margaret Thatcher, and I am gathering some useful material on this topic very actively. In my uni there are so many activities, foreigners, discussion and social clubs, so many different scholarships and grants to apply for (like this one http://oxfordrussia.ru) that I don't know what to do first. There is even some kind of business incubator, based at our uni! What's more, yesterday was a wonderful day, I visited the Russian Writers' Union, and listened to the presentations given by new, aspiring writers, some young, some old, but all of them are very talented.
Akiko
Благодарил (а): 291 раз

Сообщение Akiko »

Irregardless, glad to see you here again.
Thank you for this post and interesting and quite useful materials.
As for me due to everyday chaos, I miss a lot of interesting and undoubtedly important materials. As regards me personally , keeping a diary seems to me a huge task, so I write only reminders and separate phrases, which are scattered across multiple notebooks. Maybe one day will come when my mind will grow up until total complete organization and forth planning. Even prefer doing several things at once.
Nevertheless keeping bullet journal, planner as well as diary is quite a necessary and important.
За это сообщение автора Akiko поблагодарил:
Irregardless
Manekineko
Благодарил (а): 49 раз

Сообщение Manekineko »

Jolly Roger пишет: 30 сен 2018, 23:39 Postponing and delaying everything? Guilty!
Procrastinating? Hell yeah!
Missing deadlines? All the time!
But do laziness and procrastination really exist? There is a theory that laziness does not actually exist, but there are some invisible obstacles. I can't either completely agree or disagree with this theory, but I believe that the solution is to look for what is holding the procrastinator back. Here are two articles about it (in English and in Russian):

https://upsihologa.com.ua/leni-ne-sushestvuet.html
Jolly Roger
Благодарил (а): 65 раз

Сообщение Jolly Roger »

Manekineko пишет: 01 окт 2018, 11:44 There is a theory that laziness does not actually exist, but there are some invisible obstacles.
It's only natural that humans tend to put off things they don't want to do. But really, how many people are there that are happy with what they do in live and make money along the way? I say not enough. So for the rest of us the only option left is to suck it up.
Ответить

Вернуться в «Practise Your English»