Can an introvert become a good English teacher?

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

Manekineko
Благодарил (а): 49 раз

Сообщение Manekineko »

I mean mostly teaching one-to-one and in small groups. Teaching is a highly social profession, but does a good English tutor really need to be socially active and extraverted? Could you tell about your personality traits and teaching experince?
And what are your socionics types?
Olya
Благодарил (а): 159 раз

Сообщение Olya »

I am not a teacher but I am absolutely sure that a good tutor must be able to lead the process by which individual students or a group obtain knowledge and this leadership at least supposes artistry.
Manekineko

Сообщение Manekineko »

Olya, Thanks for your reply.
I've recently come across this article: http://blog.whooosreading.org/introvert ... hers-rule/
Unfortunately I'm not an extrovert, but now I also see some strengths of introverted teachers.
За это сообщение автора Manekineko поблагодарили (всего 2):
Yety, Olya
Kind_Punk
Благодарил (а): 172 раза

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

Why not? Of course, they can. The question is, do they need it? Forcing themselves to communicate can also result in severe burnout )
За это сообщение автора Kind_Punk поблагодарили (всего 2):
Manekineko, Eng_teacher
Manekineko

Сообщение Manekineko »

Kind_Punk пишет: 07 сен 2018, 18:04 Why not? Of course, they can. The question is, do they need it? Forcing themselves to communicate can also result in severe burnout )
Yes, I often need some time to recharge my batteries). But I'm quite interested in language teaching methods, lessons planning, developmental psychology and other related issues. And I'd like to communicate with students, but I'm rather a “people-watcher”, than a speechmaker.
sirene
Благодарил (а): 110 раз

Сообщение sirene »

I am an introvert, though a pretty moderate one.
I began my career teaching groups of 10-13 adults and then moved on to manage a school of 300 students. It was a nightmare at first. I started treating teaching similarly to theatrical performances, acting through the whole lesson with much more energy than I normally would, all smiles and excitement. This has made me a more sociable, outgoing person outside the classroom too.
Still, it takes a lot of time to recover after classes.
За это сообщение автора sirene поблагодарил:
Manekineko
ElenaZhukova
Благодарил (а): 144 раза

Сообщение ElenaZhukova »

sirene пишет: 08 мар 2019, 13:43 it takes a lot of time to recover after classes
The same with me
gavenkoa
Благодарил (а): 3100 раз

Сообщение gavenkoa »

sirene пишет: 08 мар 2019, 13:43 Still, it takes a lot of time to recover after classes.
It takes the time to recover from most kinds of jobs, especially if activity doesn't match what is natural selection prepared for the humans (we are hunters-gatherers xD).
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

gavenkoa пишет: 08 мар 2019, 17:16 It takes the time to recover from most kinds of jobs, especially if activity doesn't match what is natural selection prepared for the humans (we are hunters-gatherers xD).
LOL Great point! Does shopping qualify as gathering? That explains a lot...
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 28 мар 2019, 22:25 Does shopping qualify as gathering?
Lol it seems so ) Then sales would be hunting )
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 28 мар 2019, 22:25 Does shopping qualify as gathering? That explains a lot...
Kind_Punk,
Lol it seems so ) Then sales would be hunting )
If that's true, I'd be a dead Neolithic lady 'cause I don't like shopping at all. Would I starve to death if I lived "once upon a most early time"? :)
Kind_Punk

Сообщение Kind_Punk »

Juliemiracle пишет: 29 мар 2019, 14:28 I don't like shopping at all
Why so? Don't you like dress right, eat right food, etc.? )
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Kind_Punk,
Why so? Don't you like dress right, eat right food, etc.? )
yeah..., but...
The process itself is the thing I dislike. I get tired, bored. Of course, I do the shopping when I have to, but the pleasure of this 'hunting' eludes me.
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

Juliemiracle пишет: 29 мар 2019, 16:19 The process itself is the thing I dislike. I get tired, bored. Of course, I do the shopping when I have to, but the pleasure of this 'hunting' eludes me.
speaking of process )
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

tourist,
OMG. I'm a man.
tourist
Благодарил (а): 249 раз

Сообщение tourist »

Juliemiracle пишет: 30 мар 2019, 01:40 tourist,
OMG. I'm a man.
do you mean when it comes to shopping or ...? )
Juliemiracle

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

tourist,
shopping :)
I enter the shop and go straight to the department/shelf I need without looking from side to side. I always have a shopping list, buy in bulk (I don't mean 10 packets of sth, I mean all the supplies at once) and try to do it as rarely as possible (of course, not to the point when I run out of things to use/eat/wear). Buying online also helps.
mustang
Благодарил (а): 926 раз

Сообщение mustang »

Juliemiracle пишет: 29 мар 2019, 16:19 The process itself is the thing I dislike. I get tired, bored. Of course, I do the shopping when I have to, but the pleasure of this 'hunting' eludes me.
tourist пишет: 29 мар 2019, 22:27 speaking of process )
Judging by what she has been writing here over the past few years , she is a young strong woman who doesn’t slavishly conform to the ideals of consumerism and seek happiness in other places.

Yes, as Kind Punk has noticed, some of us aspire to the giddy heights of material prosperity, and we follow the basic rule of thumb: the more the better. It’s especially true for young women today since their average annual income (in developing and developed nations) has risen substantially, they have fewer kids and are not entirely dependent on their husbands’ good fortune as they used to be ,let’s say, in the late 19 th century - now they can afford things that most of the men in poorer countries can only dream of.

Julie is probably a rare exception to this rule. Not that she doesn’t want to get rich or buy high quality consumer goods but simply understands that money is just money, with a bit of luck and hard work it’s not really that hard to make a good living but if you are dead inside and cannot derive pleasure from other aspects of life like intellectual enrichment, long-lasting social bonds with other people around you and so on, then you start buying anything you can get your hands on just to dull this throbbing emotional pain.

That explains why you can meet smiling people in a refugee camp and why some of the (utterly miserable) millennials work at jobs they hate to buy things they do not really need to impress people they don’t even know. :)
За это сообщение автора mustang поблагодарил:
Juliemiracle
acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

mustang пишет: 30 мар 2019, 11:07 with a bit of luck and hard work it’s not really that hard to make a good living
If you have to work hard to make a good living, then it's hard to make it.
mustang
Благодарил (а): 926 раз

Сообщение mustang »

acapnotic пишет: 30 мар 2019, 12:35 If you have to work hard to make a good living, then it's hard to make it.
Ok, actually what you are saying reminds me of Woody Allen's famous qoute, "You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred".:) But what I'm suggesting is a bit different. At some point in your life you will have to work your butt off to reach your life goals and make sure that you have some finanacila cushion to fall on at times of crisis.

If you don't put in work then the chances are you'll be slaving away at a low-paying job for the rest of your life and never reach your full potential.

Keep in mind, I am not solely talking about reaching a relatively high standard of living but also emphasizing the importance of pursuing life-long goals that make life more meaningful.
Easy-Breezy English

Seems like a good time to restate the original question. Can an introvert be a good shopper?
Easy-Breezy English

mustang пишет: 30 мар 2019, 11:07 we follow the basic rule of thumb: the more the better. It’s especially true for young women today
if you are dead inside and cannot derive pleasure from other aspects of life like intellectual enrichment, long-lasting social bonds with other people around you and so on, then you start buying anything you can get your hands on just to dull this throbbing emotional pain.
That’s a bit harsh, don’t you think? Can I remain alive inside and still have some fun shopping? I promise to derive some pleasure from intellectual enrichment later. :-)
За это сообщение автора Easy-Breezy English поблагодарил:
mustang
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

There is no such thing as later, only this moment. Reality may collapse in a second. Shopping is no good on the verge of nothingness.
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

mustang пишет: 30 мар 2019, 13:06 Ok, actually what you are saying reminds me of Woody Allen's famous qoute, "You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred".:)
Well, as famous as it may be, it was unknown to me, and I'm not quite sure about its meaning. What is being a hundred? A hundred years old? Well, maybe we shouldn't want it all that much. I've read somewhere that only a quarter of those who live very long avoid senile dementia. What is so good about being an old fool? :)
Easy-Breezy English

acapnotic пишет: 30 мар 2019, 17:20 There is no such thing as later, only this moment. Reality may collapse in a second. Shopping is no good on the verge of nothingness.
I think on the verge of nothingness I’ll take shopping over intellectual enrichment. At least I’ll die looking pretty.
Ответить