To learn effectively in English-speaking environment

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

semantic__diversity
Благодарил (а): 65 раз

Сообщение semantic__diversity »

I'm studying an English-speaking Master's program in Germany and my friends have near-native and native levels of English. Still, I don't feel like my English is getting better. I make mistakes and it sometimes feels like I'm talking though a thick layer of water, meaning that what I'm saying is not exactly what I want to say.
Some background: Before coming here, I passed IELTS with 7.5 and thought that my English was fine :)
The question is how to use the environment effectively?
Ленья
Благодарил (а): 662 раза

Сообщение Ленья »

First of all, you need to carry on your regular study. If you are an adult your brain is not receptive to acquisition of language.
gavenkoa
Благодарил (а): 3100 раз

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Ленья пишет: 09 авг 2018, 22:50 If you are an adult your brain is not receptive to acquisition of language.
Adults up to 50-60 years old have advantage over children in language acquisition, except may be pronunciation.

Seldom adult has as much free time as child, in other cases adults are superior learners ))
Ленья
Благодарил (а): 662 раза

Сообщение Ленья »

gavenkoa пишет: 09 авг 2018, 23:23 Adults up to 50-60 years old have advantage over children in language acquisition
I would agree if you told that “Adults up to 50-60 years old have advantage over children in language learning (providing that they exert the same)” In other words, if a child and a grown-up take classes together we expect that a grown-up assimilates the new information easier, more quickly making the same efforts. However, children’s acquisition of language is something different. The little one immigrated to the USA is able to start speaking perfect English deliberately doing nothing. An adult can’t afford such a luxury. We’ve got to struggle. Briefly, I advice to learn the language on purpose in spite of ‘English-speaking environment’
Olya
Благодарил (а): 159 раз

Сообщение Olya »

You should integrate your English with your living in order to improve your speaking skills. Your memory will interplay this connection. Conversations with people from different generations and sections bring about a more profound view on your language abilities since each person approaches the subject matter from a different angle. It is one of the core elements which will enrich your understanding.
alanta
Благодарил (а): 545 раз

Сообщение alanta »

Ленья пишет: 10 авг 2018, 09:00 start speaking perfect English deliberately doing nothing
That isn't true, IMO. They might be not sitting with textbooks and are not studying the grammar rules deliberately but they communicate with other kids on play ground, in school, etc. I've read and watch on youtube stories of such little ones told by themselves how stressful it sometimes might be for a kid. I don't want to go into a discussion on who learns languages faster, or better, or whatever, I'm just saying that there's no miracle in how kids learn their languages, and that for them it isn't as effortless as it might seem.
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Ленья пишет: 10 авг 2018, 09:00 The little one immigrated to the USA is able to start speaking perfect English deliberately doing nothing.
Give me 12 hours a day of English content from pals & school & family & TV )) That is what child has and you probably hasn't ((
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

alanta пишет: 10 авг 2018, 12:56 I'm just saying that there's no miracle in how kids learn their languages
There is big difference between kids whose taught by parents (reading stories, drawing pictures, involving in grown-up activities as cooking/cleaning, etc) and whose lived with careless parents (drinkers, outlaws, etc).

Without external effort kid won't be ready for education and skillful professional life.
Барбариска
Благодарил (а): 10 раз

Сообщение Барбариска »

I think it's easy to start feeling self-concious about your English when you spend a lot of time and effort learning it, especially when you are around those who speak English like natives. The more you learn the more you pay attention to how much you don't know. I guess one of the best ways to learn is to make sure you have a plan, you make progress every day/week, and you have the tools to track your progress, so it doesn't feel like you're stuck on the same level.
gavenkoa

Сообщение gavenkoa »

Барбариска пишет: 29 окт 2018, 05:54 The more you learn the more you pay attention to how much you don't know
Well spoken! I experienced it first-hand. Especially with pronunciation.
Барбариска пишет: 29 окт 2018, 05:54 I guess one of the best ways to learn is to make sure you have a plan
I don't know any better way than track progress through the learning courses. In other words how many pages of learning material I've passed...

I'd like to have goal oriented thresholds (can buy ticket, write letter to boss / etc) but it is difficult to evaluate them myself.
Ответить