Can everyone reach B2 in English?

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

well well well
Благодарил (а): 423 раза

Сообщение well well well »

Ленья, we are acquainted well enough. He is objectively a bit shy and a tad lazy imo.

My student has good fluency. His vocabulary is quite extensive, he has picked up a lot of patterns he can use. He can actually talk on a number of conventional topics, and we do have interesting conversations on his good days hehe. I'm looking for more strategies to get him talking in a more controlled and accurate manner without boring him.

I'm currently using a number of tactics that seem to work more often than not. However, I am determined to increase the variety of my teaching techniques.
alanta
Благодарил (а): 545 раз

Сообщение alanta »

well well well пишет: 25 июл 2018, 19:50
alanta пишет: 25 июл 2018, 18:34 I prefer to study on my own).
More power to you, alanta!
Thanks, I guess... ))
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/More+power+to+you!
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... 20to%20you
За это сообщение автора alanta поблагодарил:
well well well
Xander
Благодарил (а): 47 раз

Сообщение Xander »

well well well пишет: 25 июл 2018, 19:49 Thanks for the round up, Xander! Always a pleasure talking with you!
Pleasure is mine.

Another possible option: why not force him to start liking something apart from aforementioned technology and handiwork?
Joking aside, you might ask the student to list anything he finds worth doing/reading/watching/listening/discussing/etc. Find it hard to believe the guy has no interests/hobbies/favorite somethings/etc.
If it happens that you in turn won't like his potentially boring suggestions, well ... there at least may be some hope and comfort in the fact that in the long run these subjects might prove more interesting than grammar or vocabulary or pronunciation or language per se.
За это сообщение автора Xander поблагодарил:
well well well
well well well

Xander пишет: 25 июл 2018, 21:43 you might ask the student to list anything he finds worth doing/reading/watching/listening/discussing/etc
I definitely should've done it by now!
Ленья
Благодарил (а): 662 раза

Сообщение Ленья »

well well well пишет: 25 июл 2018, 20:07 Ленья, we are acquainted well enough...
Thank you for the explanation. I proved to have been wrong. I prefer to abstain from going on to advise you something. I’m not a teacher. I’m afraid my babble would just grate on you.
But it seems we have a lot of common with your student. I am a mechanic. I don’t have a wide range of interests. I’ve got to struggle on learning English with a traditional textbook. Many topics live me cold. However I realize that such discussions are useful. Despite they are sometimes boring. I may as well explain to my teacher why I consider this particular topic boring. It’s a way to develop my speaking skills too.
And there is another example. I haven’t travelled to any foreign countries yet. I have never been to India or Australia, at instance. Of course I have nothing to say relating to this topic. But I might have a task to read two articles about India and Australia respectively. And then compare two stiles of life.
And finally if I have to digress I do it speaking English.
Your student must realize that his success depends on his efforts only. An hour of speaking practice with a wonderful teacher is a golden opportunity. The topic doesn't matter.

PS. Don’t hesitate to say to me ‘shut down and get lost!’ if you feel like this.
За это сообщение автора Ленья поблагодарил:
well well well
well well well

Ленья, you are funny)) once you know me well enough you'll see that I'd never ever tell anyone to
Ленья пишет: 26 июл 2018, 09:37shut down and get lost
I appreciate your feedback! I think your idea of reading something about countries one's never been to and then talking about them is awesome ( so far retelling seems to be one of the most recommended means of improving my student's speaking. I'll have to bring this to his attention and see if he's ready to accept responsibility for his own learning).
Your student must realize that his success depends on his efforts only.
Ah Ленья! Ain't that the truth! On the other hand, students often imagine that having a tutor is a substitution for own effort. Like, you want me to pay you AND do the work? Like, "if I wanted to spend time reading and memorising, I'd do it. I don't need a tutor for me to learn, I need you to teach me!"
September
Благодарил (а): 791 раз

Сообщение September »

well well well,

First of all, thank you for forcing us to finally resort to English (in a most cunning way you're doing that, I must say :).

And, secondly, the problem seems to be nothing new, and, as I see it, there’re 2 ways of dealing with it. First, live and let live, meaning that in some cases it is us, teachers, who feel the urge to broaden the horizons, expand the boundaries, impose certain standards…Why not accept that some people are blissfully happy without us doing all that and would rather keep talking on a narrow list of topics of their own choice.

Then, perhaps, the student does expect you to perform a certain set of tricks and somehow insert this knowledge into his head. In this case, probably, lots of exposure with elements of retelling might help. Actually, it seems to me that with students of this kind while focusing on the lexical content of any article, we might skip the mutually embarrassing part of trying to elicit THEIR opinion which they are so unwilling to share 😊))

Personally, I’d rather stick with the first option unless there is some scary exam looming in the distance.
За это сообщение автора September поблагодарил:
well well well
well well well

September, well, with English it's usually more secure in regards to off-topic banter, wouldn't you say? Just look at this thread, two meagre pages with the most poignant and relevant posts possible, with just a few exceptions which graciously served to provide a tiny bit of idle chitchat.

I would say I did succeeded in stirring my student's interest on quite a number of occasions with anecdotes about myself for example or by sharing the completely impractical trivia I come across on a daily basis. Fending any possible reactions of displeasure from those learners who prefer to keep their tutors on a long leash and are wary of oversharing, I can assure that all my real-life stories are well suited for the learning environment and are in no way so personal that they might become embarrassing.

There's no exam in prospect for my student. I've actually talked to him the other day; he said he was in no way disappointed with the speed of his learning and took full responsibility for the form that our lessons had taken. He is apparently well aware that anything short of [five] hours of daily grind with English would help him reach new heights in less than a decade loljk)) He said he was satisfied with his slow but sure progress and that he would let me know if he was ready to invite a change of pace.
alanta

Сообщение alanta »

well well well пишет: 29 июл 2018, 10:01 He is apparently well aware that anything short of [five] hours of daily grind with English would help him reach new heights in less than a decade loljk))
Five hours per day for 10 year to reach a B2 level? Oh my... I hope it's really "loljk"))

Btw, as a student (even though I have no teacher lol) I think this
well well well пишет: 29 июл 2018, 10:01 I did succeeded in stirring my student's interest on quite a number of occasions with anecdotes about myself for example or by sharing the completely impractical trivia I come across on a daily basis
is a right approach ;)
well well well

alanta пишет: 29 июл 2018, 12:50 Five hours per day for 10 year to reach a B2 level? Oh my... I hope it's really "loljk"))
I wrote that if one studies five hours a day, he or she can advance sooner and won't need a decade. My student realises that.

Glad I was able to get your approval on some things I do, alanta!
alanta

Сообщение alanta »

well well well пишет: 29 июл 2018, 13:02 I wrote that if one studies five hours a day, he or she can advance sooner and won't need a decade. My student realises that.
Uhmm.. I've been studying for 6 years now, which according to your plan means that I'm not even a B1 in English. Yes, I've been studying (?), or more likely keeping in touch with English, every day but for how many hours -- who knows. The thing is that sometimes it was just 15 min a day actually.
well well well

alanta пишет: 29 июл 2018, 13:18 according to your plan
Right! According to my evil plan mwuahhahahaha😬

alanta, in case you're really interested in having a productive conversation on the topic, I would like to suggest that we speak in a somewhat more general manner, shall we? I mean, every student is not like the other.
alanta

Сообщение alanta »

well well well пишет: 29 июл 2018, 14:36
alanta пишет: 29 июл 2018, 13:18 according to your plan
Right! According to my evil plan mwuahhahahaha😬

alanta, in case you're really interested in having a productive conversation on the topic, I would like to suggest that we speak in a somewhat more general manner, shall we? I mean, every student is not like the other.
OMG... There's no point in taking any post of mine here as a personal insult. Technically there's been none. I probably shouldn't have written about an "unfriendly stranger". Okay, I apologize for that.

Speaking generally, and keeping in mind the title of the thread, I would say that everyone can reach a B2 level of proficiency. Of course, that one must put time and effort into studying but it's doable. And he or she don't need to spend 5 hours per day for 10 years on that to get there.
well well well

alanta пишет: 29 июл 2018, 15:45Of course, that one must put time and effort into studying but it's doable.
It's not "of course".

If I say "everyone", I mean all and every one. I don't specify what that person should do or what kind of learner he or she should be. I mean any person. Thus my question in this thread in not "can everyone who can learn on his own or/and is genuinely interested in a language or/and really wants to learn reach B2 in English".

My question is, can any person, regardless how much effort they put into learning, reach B2? I think that a person who doesn't speak and write regularly can't reach B2 in English. Do you disagree with that, too?

Изображениеvia Imgflip Meme Generator
alanta

Сообщение alanta »

well well well пишет: 15 сен 2018, 17:48 My question is, can any person, regardless how much effort they put into learning, reach B2?
Hmm, it's new. Are you really asking -- can someone who's doing nothing to learn English reach B2?.. I think, the answer is kinda obvious - no. Any more questions?
well well well

alanta пишет: 15 сен 2018, 18:33 Any more questions?
Wow. Can you be any more rude than this? No, alanta, I don't have any more questions for you. I'm not even sure if I ever had any, for you for that matter.
alanta

Сообщение alanta »

well well well пишет: 15 сен 2018, 18:53 Wow. Can you be any more rude than this? No, alanta, I don't have any more questions for you. I'm not even sure if I ever had any, for you for that matter.
I guess the question mark in the end of a sentence means "question". So you definitely had some for me in the last post as well as two posts above ;).

And, well... Have a nice day too, I guess...
ZYZ
Благодарил (а): 40 раз

Сообщение ZYZ »

well well well пишет: 15 сен 2018, 17:48 My question is, can any person, regardless how much effort they put into learning, reach B2? I think that a person who doesn't speak and write regularly can't reach B2 in English. Do you disagree with that, too?
They sure can! You see B2 it`s not a high level in any sense. Learners can reach B2 in speaking and writing without practicing these skills at all, providing that they reached C1-C2 in reading and listening. Listening and reading are like the chest and the back, huge muscles, whereas speaking and writing are like biceps and triceps. So, if you bulked up your upper body without paying much attention to your arms, those small muscles would have no choice, but to keep up at least to some extent. By the same token, your arm won't grow if you only do bicep curls.
За это сообщение автора ZYZ поблагодарил:
olejek
Jolly Roger
Благодарил (а): 65 раз

Сообщение Jolly Roger »

ZYZ пишет: 17 сен 2018, 10:21 Learners can reach B2 in speaking and writing without practicing these skills at all, providing that they reached C1-C2 in reading and listening.
I disagree. You see, that's exactly my case - I have C1 in passive skills - I watch American TV shows and Youtubers and don't have any problems understanding them whatsoever. Reading literature isn't a big challenge either, at least grammar wise (there'll be always new words aplenty, of course).
Nonetheless, I sometimes triple facepalm at silly mistakes that I make, like, in Present Simple, for god sake. I can easily blurt out something along the lines of "I don't know where is it." I know what's behind it: lack of practise, but it is what it is - I make rookie mistakes at A1 level. As for writing - maybe you're right. Cause you have time to choose carefully words you want to use and doublecheck every phrase.
ZYZ
Благодарил (а): 40 раз

Сообщение ZYZ »

Jolly Roger пишет: 17 сен 2018, 11:54 Nonetheless, I sometimes triple facepalm at silly mistakes that I make, like, in Present Simple, for god sake.
You definitely overestimate B2 level. B2 level equals Ielts 5.5-6.5. Look at this video, I barely understand him. I refuse to believe that your speaking level is worse than his.
Jolly Roger

Сообщение Jolly Roger »

ZYZ пишет: 17 сен 2018, 12:33 Look at this video, I barely understand him. I can`t believe that your speaking level is worse than his.
Clearly, he's nervous. I guess that's why I haven't passed any of these exams yet :D I've noticed that they tend to grade speaker's speaking skill higher than it actually is.
ZYZ пишет: 17 сен 2018, 12:33 You definitely overestimate B2 level.
B2 is a very decent level. As I said, they give higher marks than people really deserve.

I teach English to young children. I often ask myself what result and in what timespan is acceptable. I'd be more than happy if all my students could achieve A2 in five years. True and honest A2, when they can use Present Perfect or will/going to in their speech, not to mention Present / Past Simple and Continuous
За это сообщение автора Jolly Roger поблагодарили (всего 2):
gavenkoa, cherkas
Manekineko
Благодарил (а): 49 раз

Сообщение Manekineko »

There are some people who definitely don't have a head for studying foreign languages for a number of reasons (poor memory, low intelligence, lack of analytical skills and so on). I suppose it can prevent them from reaching B2 in English even if they put effort into studying.
alanta

Сообщение alanta »

I think there's no person in the world who can't learn a foreign language. The results might differ but in the long run everyone's able to reach B2. I mean someone who's at least trying to learn the language, and being more or less consistent in doing that.
За это сообщение автора alanta поблагодарили (всего 2):
ZYZ, mustang
Jolly Roger

Сообщение Jolly Roger »

Jolly Roger пишет: 17 сен 2018, 12:39 I guess that's why I haven't passed any of these exams yet
Here's another stupid mistake. I haven't passed them as if I have taken them and failed. What I meant to say here is I haven't taken them. It's funny because I remember thinking about the word 'take' but then I guess it slipped my mind.
Ответить