Language Here, Language There

Discuss any questions in English. Practise your writing skills.

Модератор: zymbronia

acapnotic
Благодарил (а): 279 раз

Сообщение acapnotic »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 03 ноя 2019, 17:28 Oh, how convenient.
Do you like inconvenience? You must be a Komsomol member then. They can't live without difficulties. :)
Easy-Breezy English пишет: 03 ноя 2019, 17:28 That's defeatist, my friend. :-)
Are we in a fight? Ah, I see. :)
СпойлерПоказать
Неба утреннего стяг...
В жизни важен первый шаг.
Слышишь: реют над страною
Ветры яростных атак.

И вновь продолжается бой,
И сердцу тревожно в груди,
И Ленин такой молодой,
И юный Октябрь впереди.
Michelangelo
Благодарил (а): 32 раза

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic пишет: 04 ноя 2019, 06:21 В жизни важен первый шаг.
Спасибо! Я уже неделю не могу вспомнить - важен ли только первый шаг, или "каждый".
Вижу - достаточно сделать первый шаг :)
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Michelangelo пишет: 04 ноя 2019, 09:34 Вижу - достаточно сделать первый шаг :)
Apparently because your first step determines the direction in which you will take your further steps. It determines where you will come in the end.

Btw, notice which forum section this is.
Easy-Breezy English
Благодарил (а): 813 раз

Сообщение Easy-Breezy English »

acapnotic пишет: 04 ноя 2019, 06:21 Are we in a fight?
With you? By no means. :-)

But you do seem to have somewhat of an issue with the world, based on what you are saying.
To feel so belittled as to refuse to deliver any messages or to feel so detached as to deliver them in bad writing - those are troubling symptoms, don't you think? :-)
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

acapnotic, Right you are. I didn't notice which it was.
First I had a wish to write in English, however, then I changed my mind. I should have looked at the title before making a decision.
Ok. I can try to translate it now :)
Thank you! I have been contemplating for a week yet on the issue if the only first step is crucial or each step.
I can see now that the only first step is important :)
PS: At the moment I am late to edit my previous message. Please delete it or replace with the current one.
Michelangelo

Сообщение Michelangelo »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 04 ноя 2019, 10:35 But you do seem to have somewhat of an issue with the world, based on what you are saying.
To feel so belittled as to refuse to deliver any messages or to feel so detached as to deliver them in bad writing - those are troubling symptoms, don't you think? :-)
I think he is just looking for a chance to practise his English. What is better than making a little fight in English to revise it?
Easy-Breezy English

Michelangelo пишет: 04 ноя 2019, 10:40 What is better than making a little fight in English to revise it?
Having a big fight in English. :-)
acapnotic

Сообщение acapnotic »

Easy-Breezy English пишет: 04 ноя 2019, 10:35 To feel so belittled as to refuse to deliver any messages or to feel so detached as to deliver them in bad writing - those are troubling symptoms, don't you think? :-)
Not belittled but simply realistic. The world doesn't care about my existence, let alone my messages. As for symptoms, I think your love for inconvenience is much more troubling. There is something masochistic in it. :) Why do you want to torture yourself with inconvenience? What for? In my case it's at least the audience that will be tortured by my bad writing. :)
За это сообщение автора acapnotic поблагодарил:
Easy-Breezy English
Easy-Breezy English

acapnotic пишет: 04 ноя 2019, 12:35 Why do you want to torture yourself with inconvenience? What for?
acapnotic, you have a knack for asking excellent questions. :-)
I'll have to reflect on that. :-)
Xander
Благодарил (а): 47 раз

Сообщение Xander »

The Implied Author by Orhan Pamuk

To read a dense, deep passage in a novel, to enter into that world and believe it to be true - nothing makes me happier, nothing more surely binds me to life. I also prefer that the writer be dead, because then there is no little cloud of jealousy to darken my admiration. The older I get, the more convinced I am that the best books are by dead writers. Even if they are not yet dead, to sense their presence is to sense a ghost. This is why, when we see great writers in the street, we treat them like ghosts, not quite believeing our eyes as we marvel from a distance. ...

... for those who share my affliction, the best cure of all, and the greatest source of happiness, is to write a good half page every day. For thirty years I've spent an average of ten hours a day alone in a room, sitting at my desk. If you count only the work that is good enough to be published, my daily average is a good deal less than half a page.
За это сообщение автора Xander поблагодарил:
Easy-Breezy English
Xander
Благодарил (а): 47 раз

Сообщение Xander »

from Quack This Way

Bryan A Garner: What does it mean to write well?

David Foster Wallace: In the broadest possible sense, writing well means to communicate clearly and interestingly and in a way that feels alive to the reader. Where there’s some kind of relationship between the writer and the reader—even though it’s mediated by a kind of text—there’s an electricity about it. That’s very general, but . . .

Bryan A Garner: How does somebody learn to do that?

David Foster Wallace: [pause] Well, there are standard things you say, like, “You read a lot” and “You practice a lot.” Questions like this I field more as a schoolteacher than as a writer. In my experience with students—talented students of writing—the most important thing for them to remember is that someone who is not them and cannot read their mind is going to have to read this. In order to write effectively, you don’t pretend it’s a letter to some individual you know, but you never forget that what you’re engaged in is a communication to another human being. The bromide associated with this is that the reader cannot read your mind. The reader cannot read your mind. That would be the biggest one.

Probably the second biggest one is learning to pay attention in different ways. Not just reading a lot, but paying attention to the way the sentences are put together, the clauses are joined, the way the sentences go to make up a paragraph. Exercises as boneheaded as you take a book you really like, you read a page of it three, four times, put it down, and then try to imitate it word for word so that you can feel your own muscles trying to achieve some of the effects that the page of text you like did. If you’re like me, it will be in your failure to be able to duplicate it that you’ll actually learn what’s going on.
Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

Yety

Сообщение Yety »

‘Would you be willing?’: words to turn a conversation around (and those to avoid)
Choose your words carefully and you can get someone to change their mind, or see you in a new light

Rosie Ifould
Mon 4 Dec 2017
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
Juliemiracle
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

someone
Благодарил (а): 65 раз

Сообщение someone »

Yety пишет: 04 янв 2021, 04:13 ‘Would you be willing?’: words to turn a conversation around (and those to avoid)
Choose your words carefully and you can get someone to change their mind, or see you in a new light

Rosie Ifould
Mon 4 Dec 2017
Zou je me wat water willen brengen = нормальная конструкция в голландском would you me some water want to bring ))))) не путать wil graag doen = would like to do
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

The Greeks had a word for it … until now, as language is deluged by English terms
A leading linguist pleads for moderation as a huge outbreak of ‘Greenglish’, much of it Covid-related, spreads

Helena Smith in Athens
Sun 31 Jan 2021
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

The New York Times
Triangulating Math, Mozart and ‘Moby-Dick’
Sarah Hart, the first woman to hold England’s distinguished Gresham professorship of geometry, explores the intersections of music, literature and mathematics.

By Siobhan Roberts
March 6, 2021
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

The of and to. A in is I. That it, for you, was with on. As have ... but be they.

As usual with Vsauce, remember to have a look at the
RELATED LINKS AND SOURCES BELOW!
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

The NEW YORKER
How Did a Self-Taught Linguist Come to Own an Indigenous Language?
The Penobscot language was spoken by almost no one when Frank Siebert set about trying to preserve it. The people of Indian Island are still reckoning with his legacy.
Alice Gregory April 12, 2021
more than three hundred indigenous languages were once spoken in the United States; today, linguists worry that within thirty years there will be only twenty.
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

The NEW YORKER
Bad Character
If Chinese Were Phonetic

By Ted Chiang May 09, 2016
With a phonetic writing system like an alphabet or a syllabary, you need only learn a few dozen symbols and you can read most everything printed in a newspaper. With Chinese characters, you have to learn three thousand. And writing is even more difficult than reading; when you can’t use pronunciation as an aid to spelling, you have to rely on pure memorization. The cognitive demands are so great that even highly educated Chinese speakers regularly forget how to write characters they haven’t used recently.
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

The Guardian
Ever-changing dialects keep English moving – but grammar is its north star
Protesting that ‘bad’ grammar should not hold someone back will not stop it from doing so. Accuracy is in everyone’s interest

Simon Jenkins
Sat 25 Sep 2021
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

The Guardian
Oh my days: linguists lament slang ban in London school
Exclusive: ‘like’, ‘bare’, ‘that’s long’ and ‘cut eyes at me’ among terms showing up in pupils’ work now vetoed in classroom

Robert Booth
Thu 30 Sep 2021
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарили (всего 2):
Juliemiracle, VictorB
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

A: That's a neck!
B: Self/Soft serve. (Mirror.)
Regarding the meaning of the noun "neck" (slang) other than a slap on the back of one's neck, this may sound both funny and crude:)
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... 20a%20neck
VictorB
Благодарил (а): 821 раз

Сообщение VictorB »

Re:
Oh my days: linguists lament slang ban in London school
No less interesting an article:
Slang shouldn’t be banned … it should be celebrated, innit

https://theconversation.com/slang-shoul ... nnit-58672
The summary:
Different language is appropriate for different contexts. Yes, using TOWIE slang is inappropriate in a job interview, but no more inappropriate than using the Queen’s English in the playground. Unless you’re the Queen, obvs.
:-)
This will explain what TOWIE stands for
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

VictorB пишет: 01 окт 2021, 20:22 That's a neck!
Gimme that neck!!

Gimme dat neck

https://www.google.com/search?q=gimme+d ... =616&dpr=2
crude it does lookПоказать
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
VictorB
Ответить