Catchy CatchPhrases

Словарный состав языка, выбор лексических единиц, как учить и запоминать новые слова, тесты и задания на знание лексики, специальная лексика, словари и другие вопросы.

Модератор: zymbronia

Yety
Благодарил (а): 3370 раз

Сообщение Yety »

В связи с тем, что стараниями Delly появилась возможность прикручивать клипики с https://getyarn.io/ (третья кнопка сверху на панели BBCode'ов - {gy}), йэсть предложение открыть копилочку для CatchPhrases (CPs) - оборотов, которые не совсем то же самое, что идиомы в Идиоматроне, но достаточно своеобразные, чтобы не иметь дословного перевода, а иногда культурологически уникальные.

Ветка для изучающих и интересующихся. Предлагается, чтобы каждый пост в качестве загадки содержал описание ситуации, когда кэтч-фраза уместна (ее определение), а ответ - сам клип с фразой - под спойлером. Тогда эту ветку можно будет использовать как обучающий ресурс по образу флэш-карт. Вариантов ответа мб несколько, если ситуация это допускает. Можно в конце для верности добавить перевод и любую интересную доп. информацию.

Например, для начала что-нибудь простенькое:

These CPs are used to reprove someone for something of which they should be ashamed. (ODO)Изображение
СпойлерПоказать
Как не стыдно! Стыд(но)! Стыдись! Стыдитесь! Стыд-то какой! Срам! Стыд и срам! Ай-яй!
https://english.stackexchange.com/quest ... ame-on-you
Последний раз редактировалось Yety 21 июн 2018, 18:58, всего редактировалось 1 раз.
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарили (всего 4):
Роман Молти, Chinara, Delly, Mary May
Роман Молти
Благодарил (а): 301 раз

Сообщение Роман Молти »

А короткие видео с ютуба допускаются?
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Роман Молти пишет: 21 июн 2018, 18:25 А короткие видео с ютуба допускаются?
)))) This CP is used to say ...
It is unambiguous, perfectly clear, or self-evident (that something is the case); it is already widely acknowledged, established, or accepted (that something is the case).
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарил:
Mary May
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

These CPs are used to say...
"What do I have to do to make this clear enough for you to understand?" (Shows impatience.)
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

These CPs are used as...
An expression of sympathy, condolence, or regret. (Can also be used sarcastically.)
СпойлерПоказать
Заур
Благодарил (а): 278 раз

Сообщение Заур »

Yety пишет: 21 июн 2018, 20:36 These CPs are used to say...
"What do I have to do to make this clear enough for you to understand?" (Shows impatience.)
Also
Sheldon: Come on, Leonard, I am spoon-feeding this to you.
Leonard: I don't know...
За это сообщение автора Заур поблагодарил:
Yety
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Заур пишет: 22 июн 2018, 12:06
Sheldon: Come on, Leonard, I am spoon-feeding this to you.
СпойлерПоказать
Also: ■ provide (someone) with so much help or information that they do not need to think for themselves
https://www.thefreedictionary.com/spoon-feed :
2. To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
3.a. To provide (another) with knowledge or information in an oversimplified way.
Заур
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

These CPs are used to say...
"Don’t disturb the status quo! Both Brit, and US: since c. 1920. Applied mostly to sociological or economic or political affairs. (For US use: Moe, 1975.)
Also ... ... ... ... —as an ‘ exhortation to someone about to disturb a comfortable situation’. (Norman Franklin, 1976.)

Look, Tom, everything is going fine here. ... ... ... ...!
None of my family members are fighting with each other right now, so please ... ... ... ... by bringing up politics or any other controversial topics.
You can depend on Tom to mess things up by ... ... .... .
... ... ... ... You'll turn it over!

Изображение
СпойлерПоказать
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/rock+the+boat
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/do ... k+the+boat
P.B.: sit down, you’re rocking the boat! was the title, and formed the refrain, of a song sung with tremendous verve by that generously-built American comedian Stubby Kaye as ‘Nicely Nicely Johnson’ one of the compulsive gamblers in the musical ‘Guys and Dolls’, based on Damon Runyon’s stories. The show started in New York in 1950, and in London in 1953. The true US equivalent of don’t rock the boat! is, as R.C. notes, 1978, don’t make waves!, which arose slightly later, giving rise to (? or arising from) the punch line of a scatological joke.
Mary May
Роман Молти
Благодарил (а): 301 раз

Сообщение Роман Молти »

Rocking the boat may be accompanied by breaking ranks with those who think that everything is hunky-dory and tickety-boo.

Depending on context you can also use such expressions as "stir the pot" and "put your head above the parapet".
За это сообщение автора Роман Молти поблагодарили (всего 3):
Yety, Mary May, VictorB
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Роман Молти пишет: 25 июн 2018, 12:05 Rocking the boat may be accompanied by breaking ranks with those who think that everything is hunky-dory and tickety-boo.
СпойлерПоказать
Роман Молти пишет: 25 июн 2018, 12:05 Depending on context you can also use such expressions as "stir the pot"
СпойлерПоказать
Роман Молти пишет: 25 июн 2018, 12:05 and "put your head above the parapet".
СпойлерПоказать
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/pu ... he+parapet
Thank goodness that someone put their head above the parapet and drew customers' attention to the deceitful practices of these corporations.
Several senators put their heads above the parapet and defended the legislation against attacks from their own party.

If you put your head above the parapet or stick your head above the parapet, you give an opinion in public about something that may cause people to attack or criticize you.
A number of politicians hold this unpopular view, though few are prepared to put their heads above the parapet and admit it.
In giving his main character political opinions which are quite obviously his own, the author risks sticking his head above the parapet.

Note: Verbs such as raise or lift can be used instead of put and stick.
People have become more and more reluctant to raise their head above the parapet — people are frightened to address these issues.
Note: If you keep your head below the parapet, you do not risk saying something in public that might be attacked or criticized.
Most experts have preferred to keep their heads below the parapet, well aware of the kind of panic headlines that their findings could produce.
Note: Parapets are banks of earth or walls which soldiers build for protection against enemy attacks.
За это сообщение автора Yety поблагодарили (всего 2):
Mary May, Роман Молти
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

These CPs are used as ...
A humorous response to a question that the speaker feels would obviously be answered in the affirmative.
A: "Are you going to the party tonight?"
B: "Are you kidding, or what?! Of course I'll be there!"

There's another rude version of #3 still.
A rhetorical question meaning the answer to the previous question is emphatically and obviously "yes."
- Would I like a free trip to Paris? Of course I would!!! Isn't it obvious?!
СпойлерПоказать
1) https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/is ... e+catholic
B: "Is the pope Catholic? Of course I'll be there!"
2) rude https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/do ... +the+woods
Does a bear/Do bears shit in the woods?
Would I like a free trip to Paris? Does a bear shit in the woods?
Заур
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

This CP is used to say ...
Someone is extremely unpopular. A dishonored reputation.
СпойлерПоказать
Here is the notorious story of its false etymology and its true origin.
For reasons that are difficult to fathom, 'mud' later began to be used as a general intensifier. In the 19th century there are many printed examples of 'as fat as mud', 'as rich as mud', 'as sick as mud' etc. The combination of meanings of 'decaying and worthless' and 'extremely' was enough for the association of it with someone's name to become an insult - hence 'your name is mud'.

As something that is at one extreme end of the scale, like 'good' or 'stupid', mud features in many English phrases - 'dragged through the mud', 'mud in your eye', 'as clear as mud' etc. The one that BP has most cause to hope isn't true is 'mud sticks'.
The false etymology story must have gained popularity after the movie NATIONAL TREASURE: BOOK OF SECRETS
СпойлерПоказать
Riley Poole: Look at it this way - in a hundred years, no one is gonna remember anyone involved in the Lincoln assassination besides Booth.
Ben Gates: That's not true. Do you know the expression 'his name is mud?'
Riley Poole: Yes, of course.
Ben Gates: You do? Do you know the origin of the expression?
Riley Poole: Does anyone but you?
Ben Gates: Dr. Samuel Mudd was convicted of being a co-conspirator in the Lincoln assassination. The evidence was circumstantial, he was later pardoned, but it didn't matter. Mudd's name still lives in infamy, and I will 'not' let Thomas Gates' name be mud.
Samuel Mudd is sometimes given as the origin of the phrase "your name is mud," as in, for example, the 2007 film National Treasure: Book of Secrets. However, according to an online etymology dictionary, the phrase has its earliest known recorded instance in 1823, ten years before Mudd's birth, and it is based on an obsolete sense of the word "mud" meaning "a stupid twaddling fellow."[32][33] Another example is the two Looney Tunes cartoons Operation: Rabbit and Rabbit's Feat where Wile E. Coyote declares at the end "My name is Mud." Another Looney Tunes short that features this is Boobs in the Woods where Porky lands in a mud puddle after sliding.
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

A dozen informal ways to say
hurry, hurry (it) up, be quick (about it), come along, speed up, move faster; move (it)
and
Look l...y!
СпойлерПоказать

Make it s...y!
СпойлерПоказать
"into bed with you, and make it snappy!"
Shake a l...!
СпойлерПоказать
Get a m... o...!
СпойлерПоказать
Get m...!
СпойлерПоказать
Get c...!
СпойлерПоказать
S... on it!
СпойлерПоказать
S... on the g...!
СпойлерПоказать
St... your st...!
СпойлерПоказать
Get a w... on!
СпойлерПоказать
Let's h...f... it!
СпойлерПоказать
in a car:
Put your f... d...!
СпойлерПоказать
Put the p... to the m...!
СпойлерПоказать
and dated
Make h...!
СпойлерПоказать
someone
Благодарил (а): 65 раз

Сообщение someone »

Shake a leg встретилось в сериале Телохранитель, понравилось выражение
За это сообщение автора someone поблагодарил:
Yety
Juliemiracle
Благодарил (а): 1174 раза

Сообщение Juliemiracle »

Yety,
I first learned 'step on it' in the context of a 'waiter-waiter joke' https://upjoke.com/step-on-it-jokes and then heard it in "Breakfast at Tiffany's".
За это сообщение автора Juliemiracle поблагодарил:
Yety
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

A slangy way to turn sth down:
1. slang To decline or reject someone or something in an app. The phrase was popularized by the dating app Tinder, in which to reject a potential mate, users ...
СпойлерПоказать
"swipe left" on the screen.
That girl is pretty—I'm only swiping left because I'm not into blondes.
Ugh, this guy's has no sense of humor—swipe left!
I keep swiping left because these dresses are all hideous.

2. slang By extension, to reject or decline something.
Studying instead of a night out? Definitely swiping left on that.
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Life's too short...
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/lif ... short.html
A truism that can be made to sound just a little less banal:
In 1975, the English writer Shirley Conran published the book Superwoman, aimed at busy women, and coined the phrase
СпойлерПоказать
'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom'.
Изображение
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

"I'm just throwing out a suggestion for discussion."
Just like thatИзображение:
СпойлерПоказать
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

This is a very funny British way to say
That'll be the end of you! It's all gone to the dogs!
СпойлерПоказать
come to/meet a sticky/bad end
to die or suffer badly, especially when this is deserved
Be led by one's own actions to ruin or an unpleasant death.
To experience an unpleasant/violent death, usually as a result of one's own actions. Primarily heard in UK, Australia.

You will meet a sticky end if you don't change your reckless ways.
The serial purse snatcher met a sticky end when he encountered a little old lady trained in karate.
• I can't help but think that it's an unfortunate custom to name children after people who come to sticky ends.
‘behave yourself or you will come to a sticky end!’
davejacobs пишет:It doesn't necessarily imply death, it might mean ruin. Indeed, any enterprise might also come to a sticky end, meaning a sudden and disastrous finish.
seems unrelated, but still...Показать
(be/bat on) a ˌsticky ˈwicket (British English, informal)
A particularly awkward or difficult situation or circumstance. (Generally used with on. Refers to the pitch, i.e., wicket, used in the game of cricket and the difficulty of playing on one after it has been wetted with rain.) Primarily heard in UK, Australia.
(Although cricket is not well known in America, the term did cross the Atlantic in the 1920s.)

I found myself on a bit of a sticky wicket when the boss saw me kissing his daughter at the cinema.
I'll be batting on a sticky wicket if I arrive at the train station and don't have enough money for the tickets!
Don’t be too confident about getting the contract. After our problems with the last one we’re on a sticky wicket there.
gavenkoa
Opt
Благодарил (а): 73 раза

Сообщение Opt »

Yety пишет: 15 окт 2019, 11:12 It's all gone to the dogs!
Эта фраза и в украинском есть. Все пішло за псами. На псю матір. Но последнее больше диалект.
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Opt пишет: 15 окт 2019, 23:26 Все пішло за псами.
Во многих культурах собаки воспринимаются как нечто нечистое, пся крев...
The saying probably originates from Greyhound racing. It references the dangers of gambling; a person who’s said to have ‘gone to the dogs’ is likely to be blowing their entire paycheque betting on the dog races.
TFD, Farlex пишет:This idiom derives from the fact that attending greyhound races was once thought likely to expose a person to moral danger and the risk of incurring great financial loss.
Another possible origin of this is saying is that when dogs were first domesticated they were fed with leftovers and scraps from our meals, so a meal can be said to have literally ‘gone to the dogs’.
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

Another sarcastic rhetorical question meaning...
Yety пишет: 03 дек 2018, 04:49 A humorous response to a question that the speaker feels would obviously be answered in the affirmative.
B: "Are you kidding, or what?! Of course I'll be there!"
Is the pope Catholic? Does a bear *defecate* in the woods?Показать
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

(rhetorical question, informal, sarcastic) Your speech has become too obscene or vulgar!
Something like that, about filthy talk:
СпойлерПоказать
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

(rhyming alliterated phrase) Don't spit while you're talking!
S.. it, don't s.... it!
СпойлерПоказать
Yety

Сообщение Yety »

(popular farewell phrase) See you tomorrow morning!
See you b..... and e.....!
СпойлерПоказать
Ответить